Author Topic: UK 1970s issues  (Read 2346 times)

Offline johnbanshee

UK 1970s issues
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:06:57 AM »
Hi,

I'm fairly new on the scene...but getting into the these though it's a bit trickier from the UK as we get walloped with high shipping and then import taxes.

Can anyone help me with the UK releases from the 1970s...I've not been able to find a picture of a wrapper or a box from the seconds series....there's a page here:

http://www.wacky-packages.net/wackypackages/uk-wackys/

But looks like a page on the 2nd series was never done...

I have a few spare series 1 & 2 cards plus a series 1 wrapper...plus a few 80s irish sets... if anyone wants anything...plus cash to spend - I'd love an unoponed pack of each...here's hoping!

Thanks

JB

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: UK 1970s issues
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:07:45 AM »
Here is the 2nd series wrapper/pack. I can’t recall whether there is a known example of the box. I seem to remember reading something about it a long time ago.

When buying 2nd series unopened packs, you have to be careful because Topps also used this wrapper for domestic “fun packs” which often contain a 14th series checklist and non-UK stickers.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:09:52 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline johnbanshee

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:25:19 AM »
Wow -that's awesome - cheers.

I just need one to complete my UK 2nd series now...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 06:54:55 AM »
Gav - have you ever seen this pack? Very rare in the U.S., just wondering if they have ever turned up in the UK....

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 07:47:14 PM »
Thanks to Kook I remembered the box I was thinking of. It in fact held the red reissue packs shown above.
To my knowledge no box has been found for the 2nd UK series. It’s certainly possible that the same box was used as for the 1st series.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 04:32:09 PM »
Thanks to Kook I remembered the box I was thinking of. It in fact held the red reissue packs shown above.
To my knowledge no box has been found for the 2nd UK series. It’s certainly possible that the same box was used as for the 1st series.

(Image removed from quote.)
How many of these are known to exist?  Brian and I were going after one that Paul Hart auctioned thru Roxanne years ago.  I believe in shipping the box got crushed.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
This is the only one I’ve ever seen.

Offline Kook

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »
How many of these are known to exist?  Brian and I were going after one that Paul Hart auctioned thru Roxanne years ago.  I believe in shipping the box got crushed.

The picture I have/Dave posted is from Roxanne's auction. That is the only example of this box I am aware of. Sorry to hear it was crushed in shipping.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »
Ah, the UK Wackys!  One of my favorite side-chains to the original 1-16 sets.  It was so fun researching these way back when, but somehow I let go of most of the examples I had.  I think I had the first known compete set of the 1st & 2nd series stickers that could be verified as coming from the UK packs, at least over here anyway.  Really miss that set & probably should have had it PSA graded as they were all pack-fresh.  And I had that UK box proof that came from the big warehouse find, too.  Can't even remember where any of that stuff ended up.  I still have an Irish set, but none of the full and empty boxes I used to have.  And I don't have the rare UK/Irish test pack either.  I had fun actually trying to track down UK & Irish Wackys IN London when I was there in '99... but didn't have much luck beyond getting a few more from Paul that year.  Apparently there was a big collector over there who was said to have tons in his warehouse, but I couldn't ever get a solid lead or any contact info.  THAT would have bee a fun find! 

How many collectors have you run across over there who have (or know of) Wacky Packages?  I found a total of TWO at a huge card & comic show when I was there.  So, I'm guessing they didn't really have much success there in the 70s/80s.

anything