Author Topic: Ratz  (Read 7638 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Re: Ratz
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:30:52 PM »
The description says it's a repro. Are you thinking otherwise?
Brian Mc

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
The description says it's a repro. Are you thinking otherwise?
I'm not so sure, either. If it is a repro, someone did a nice job aging/stressing it to look old. Also, Duane's repros had much lighter backs, as I recall and the "No 32 of 44" is too near the bottom of the card. AND, it appears to actually have perfs. Hmmmm….

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 01:56:43 PM »
I'm not so sure, either. If it is a repro, someone did a nice job aging/stressing it to look old. Also, Duane's repros had much lighter backs, as I recall and the "No 32 of 44" is too near the bottom of the card. AND, it appears to actually have perfs. Hmmmm….

It looks like it has perfs.  And, it seems to have a rough bottom edge.......  My Duane repro is sharp.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 01:58:35 PM »
It’s also got a completely wonky black border.

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »

I wonder if that's a keystoning effect from the photograph, or an optical illusion.  The front looks like the the top and bottom of the card are not square, but the back looks good.  Could the glare from the glossiness of the front be fooling the eye?  That's why you should scan the cards rather than taking photos.

Besides trying to pass off a repro as NRMT, I think if I were making these I would've off-centered it a bit, even miscut it to show just a slight edge of the border on the adjacent card.  It's kind of like counterfeiting $1 bills.  Who would bother to do something that wasn't worth its full value unless you're trying to convince someone that it's real.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 02:09:24 PM by drono »

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 02:54:56 PM »
I wonder if that's a keystoning effect from the photograph, or an optical illusion.  The front looks like the the top and bottom of the card are not square, but the back looks good.  Could the glare from the glossiness of the front be fooling the eye?
No, the entire bottom of the black border is completely wrong. (It looks like belongs with Weakies). The edge of the border should not run parallel to the text and the bottom of the card. Way too much black area, and the bottom left angled portion is bad too.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 04:34:56 AM »

Yeah, really wonky. I think RATZ is the only box title in that series that doesn't have the top right angled corner, so that checks out but, as noted, the bottom, especially left side, is totally wrong.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 02:23:55 PM »
Up to $371.00 for a reproduction!  :o

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 02:58:43 PM »
Wonder what the odds would be of some unscrupulous bidder submitting this to PSA and sneaking it past them as authentic? Do they have Wacky experts in house?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 03:52:35 PM »
Up to $371.00 for a reproduction!  :o
I don't think it's a repro...however, i am not really an expert and without holding it in your hands, it's difficult to be certain. My sister lives near this seller (and I'm only about 45 min drive), but with COVID, can't possibly do that...though I'd love to go there and see it in person.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 05:01:46 PM »
For what it's worth, the back image of the Ratz in the auction looks identical to the back image of the Ratz that Greg has on his website:

http://www.wackypacks.com/stickers/die-cuts/backs/ratz_32_back_small_smaller_images.html

Same exact creases, stains, and specks, all in the exact same locations.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »
I don't think it's a repro...
Interesting take.
To me, it appears to just be a nice image printed onto card stock.
Look at the back, and the white edges, especially the left side, what's that all about? But more importantly, there's that ding to the upper right corner. There's no ding on the obverse image top left.
Plus, that totally bogus thick lower right piece of black border and that stair-step pixelation that's visible in the sloped border upper left. Wackys don't have that.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 05:18:49 PM »
Here is a side-by-side picture of the back of the "Repro" Ratz from the auction and the back of the Ratz on Greg's website.  Definitely the same.

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 07:01:49 PM »
Here is a side-by-side picture of the back of the "Repro" Ratz from the auction and the back of the Ratz on Greg's website.  Definitely the same.

So it's not a die cut,  just a laser copy of an image of a die cut? Some bidder is going to be saying, "ratz," when they win and this arrives in the mail.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
So it's not a die cut,  just a laser copy of an image of a die cut? Some bidder is going to be saying, "ratz," when they win and this arrives in the mail.

Yup, and a few F words!!! The bids are up to $386.00 for this phony card?!! I don't understand how stupid people can be bidding on this.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »

To be fair to the seller, it does say "reproduction" right in the title.  Why would anyone bid on this thinking it is real?
Still looking for Series 17

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »
To be fair to the seller, it does say "reproduction" right in the title.  Why would anyone bid on this thinking it is real?

I thought the seller made it pretty clear that it he is selling it as a repro, but he put 1967 in the date for item specifics.  I think it's such a good one that people are just taking a chance, hoping for a major score.  That makes it their gamble I suppose.

Ah, well, someday my Ratz will come............

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 02:14:02 PM »
I thought the seller made it pretty clear that it he is selling it as a repro, but he put 1967 in the date for item specifics.

Doesn't he say in the item description that he got it in 1998 as a repro? I have zero issues with this listing.

I initially thought about getting it as a "placeholder" until I outbid you for a real one, though :P

Now, the price is about $350 too much for me!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:17:03 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 02:15:14 PM »

Wow, good catch!
Brian Mc

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 02:51:35 PM »
This card jogged my memory.  I checked my "oddball" binder and found a very similar though not identical repro Ratz with high quality printing front and back as well as a repro Cracked Animals and Jolly Mean #21.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 03:15:40 PM »
Doesn't he say in the item description that he got it in 1998 as a repro? I have zero issues with this listing.

I initially thought about getting it as a "placeholder" until I outbid you for a real one, though :P

Now, the price is about $350 too much for me!!

I have no issue with the listing either, but I prefer my punched Ratz, and even my Duane repro, especially at that price!

However, I do have an issue with you outbidding me on a real one   :-\

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »
My guess is bidders are thinking seller has it wrong and doesn’t know he’s sitting on an authentic Ratz.  I personally agree it’s a fugazy, mainly because of all the border issues mentioned.  Also front is a little too glossy/sheeny to be believed.  But at least seller is being up front about it.

Lately Marvel Comics has made reprints of some of their more valuable vintage issues - I have a friend who loves Wolverine of the X-Men and has wanted a high-grade Hulk #181 in the worst way for years.  So I come across a perfect repro at a comic shop near my job, and the only difference is a $3.99 price printed in lieu of the original 25 cent price.  I put my thumb over the price like I’m just holding it by the upper left corner, and text him a phone pic.  WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!?!!?!  Poor guy.  Worth the $3.99 for sure.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »
I'm fairly certain I've seen this card, I just can't remember the collector that had it, my recollection is somebody that used to live in New Jersey and moved to Pennsylvania but maybe he's back i'm 99% sure this is a fake card.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Truant

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 12:51:26 PM »
Same old shenanigans going on in wacky land, I see. Just dropped in to say hello. 
Skip the lame websites, visit:
http://dt.prohosting.com/70s/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 02:17:18 PM »
Same old shenanigans going on in wacky land, I see. Just dropped in to say hello.

Hello back!  Don't know that this was shenanigans, since the seller was very clear that the card was a reproduction.  I think the bidders just thought they had a chance at a great bargain  :-\

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »

Hey Tom! Always nice to see you 👍🏻

Offline freetoes

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 07:01:36 PM »

Tom, it's a treat seeing you again, avatar and all. I hope all is well, and that we may meet again at a Wacky event at some point.

Offline drono

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 04:16:38 AM »
I think the bidders just thought they had a chance at a great bargain

Or maybe they're thinking they can resell it without stating that it's a reproduction and make a nice profit.  I really can't see spending this much on a reproduction.  With today's home printers, you could make one yourself for a lot less, so what would be your motivation for buying it, especially for $401? 

They could probably send it to PSA and those clowns would give it a gem mint 10, and once it's slabbed it would become even more difficult to prove it was fake.  However, the buyer has a high feedback rating, so s/he could have a lot to lose by reselling a fake if the new buyer complained.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:28:22 AM by drono »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 04:53:46 AM »
Or maybe they're thinking they can resell it without stating that it's a reproduction and make a nice profit.  I really can't see spending this much on a reproduction.  With today's home printers, you could make one yourself for a lot less, so what would be your motivation for buying it, especially for $401? 

They could probably send it to PSA and those clowns would give it a gem mint 10, and once it's slabbed it would become even more difficult to prove it was fake.  However, the buyer has a high feedback rating, so s/he could have a lot to lose by reselling a fake if the new buyer complained.

That is why these types of repo's are so dangerous.  Once they get out into the wild, anyone can claim they are real at some point.  Anything that is a repro shouls say it somewhere on the sticker or card.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 04:55:56 AM »

Any newly graded Ratz should be scrutinized!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:57:45 AM by RawGoo »

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 07:30:18 AM »
Looks like it's back up for round 2... the winning/schill bidder cancelled LMAO !
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 07:34:51 AM by CherryBombs »
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline Swiski

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 07:42:43 AM »
Looks like it's back up for round 2... the winning/schill bidder cancelled LMAO !

LMAO! The seller even reworded the subject heading "WINNING BIDDER CANCELLED Wacky Packages 1967 Die-Cut RATZ CRACKERS Repro 1998"

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2020, 07:56:19 AM »
I just saw that. Bwahahahahaha
Brian Mc

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »
Bid placed!

anything