Author Topic: Wanted: Wacky MLB Cincinnati Reds stickers  (Read 7069 times)

Offline drono

Re: Wanted: Wacky MLB Cincinnati Reds stickers
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2020, 01:13:27 PM »
“Walk up music” - never could think of a term for it myself

I think I saw that watching the all-star game a couple of years ago.  It was showing the starting lineup, and it listed the "walk up music" for each player -- so apparently each player gets to choose.  I'm with you, I think if I were a major league player and they made me choose, I'd pick "Sound of Silence" just to mess with their heads.  But they probably wouldn't understand the irony.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 05:44:04 PM »
Stupidest concept imaginable.  Either the batter takes 100 practice swings outside the box so that half the song plays, wasting everyone’s time, or they play the first 10 seconds of each song.  What’s the point, really?

Offline drono

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2020, 04:41:09 AM »
Stupidest concept imaginable.  Either the batter takes 100 practice swings outside the box so that half the song plays, wasting everyone’s time, or they play the first 10 seconds of each song.  What’s the point, really?

It's a product of one stadium/team/announcer trying to outdo another.  It started simple and has gotten out of control.  Remember when announcing the starting lineups for basketball and hockey was just simply reading the names instead of the darkened arena, flashing lights, smoke, flames, and screaming announcer giving each player a special flair on each of their names? 

It was really nice watching the 1969 Mets/Orioles and 1970 Reds/Orioles games on MLB YouTube.  Just a simple introduction of the players at the beginning and a simple announcement for the next batter heard in the background of the telecast.  Also organ music played during the breaks between innings and the 7th inning stretch.  I'm afraid we've become a product of all of our technology.  My feeling is that technology should add to, not become the broadcast. 

I'm a stats guy, but I really don't care about the angle and exit velocity of a home run.  I'd much rather see a team put together four or five hits, a stolen base, a sacrifice bunt, and a hit and run to score three runs than three solo home runs with three strikeouts.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2020, 08:39:33 AM »
Some good points.  The one thing I’m grateful for with regard to game-opening nonsense is that for the most part the TV broadcasts spare us a lot of that nonsense nowadays and don’t really cut to the on-field activity until very close to the game’s start.  They also cut out the anthem which I wish they wouldn’t do, but I’ll take that trade-off any day.  I do think showing the introductions for the MLB All-Star game and World Series (first game at each venue) is a time-honored tradition and I don’t mind seeing that.

And the stats, ah where to begin?  WAR, WHIP, exit velocity, what does it all mean?  In hockey, “hits” is now a stat.  What does it measure?  And who analyzes that over a season, or a career?  Will there be an annual trophy one day for the best checker?  Conversely, a more meaningful stat like plus/minus is never talked about anymore.

anything