Author Topic: Wanted: Wacky MLB Cincinnati Reds stickers  (Read 7071 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Wanted: Wacky MLB Cincinnati Reds stickers
« on: May 16, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »
Hi all,

After a long slump (baseball humor!), I finally broke through and found some of the Cincinnati Reds cards I had been searching years for. Now, I am looking to finish the 2016 Wacky MLB Cincinnati Reds stickers that I need.

There's only four left:

- #45 Reds Mustache Wax (silver border)
- #46 Reds Catch Up (silver border)
- #46 Reds Catch Up (Leather)
- #46 Reds Catch Up (Green Ludlow)

I know this series wasn't a big hit (more baseball humor!) for a lot of you, but, I am a huge Reds fan and would appreciate it if you could check your stash for any of these. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:41:01 AM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline drono

Re: Wanted: Wacky MLB Cincinnati Reds stickers
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:58:07 AM »
I checked my stash and struck out (baseball humor).

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I'm a Dodgers fan, and growing up my best friend was a Reds fan.  Back then they were both in the NL West and the rivalry was heated.  If I had some of these then I clothespinned them to the spokes of the wheels of my huffy with the banana seat just like Seaver, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, Rose, Foster, Geronimo, and Griffey (before he was a Sr.).  I couldn't name more than one or two players on the Dodgers of 2020, but I still remember the entire Big Red Machine.  Why oh why MLB network can't you show some of those World Series games?  I was too young to stay up to see Pudge's game ending HR or Armbrister interfere with him to cheat the Reds into winning game 3.

Seriously, good luck, and I hope you find them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:12:43 AM by drono »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 07:22:49 AM »
If it hadn't been for the Reds, I honestly believe that the Dodgers would've been remembered as the Team of the 70's. That team was loaded, 1 through 8, and, had better pitching than the Reds. The Reds were ultimately better, but not by much. Because they were so good, Cincinnati was always hopping when the Dodgers came to town. It was a phenomenal rivalry. Two heavyweights always slugging it out. I have tons of respect for those Dodgers teams. And, I can name their starting 8 from memory, too.

So, do you have the cards I'm looking for???  ;D
Brian Mc

Offline quas

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 07:46:54 AM »
Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I'm a Dodgers fan, and growing up my best friend was a Reds fan.  Back then they were both in the NL West and the rivalry was heated.  If I had some of these then I clothespinned them to the spokes of the wheels of my huffy with the banana seat just like Seaver, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, Rose, Foster, Geronimo, and Griffey (before he was a Sr.).  I couldn't name more than one or two players on the Dodgers of 2020, but I still remember the entire Big Red Machine.  Why oh why MLB network can't you show some of those World Series games?  I was too young to stay up to see Pudge's game ending HR or Armbrister interfere with him to cheat the Reds into winning game 3.

Seriously, good luck, and I hope you find them.

A fellow Dodger fan!!  I'm a diehard!  Grew up in Pasadena.  The Reds were the hated team then, and now of course it's mainly SF.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 11:10:33 AM »
A fellow Dodger fan!!  I'm a diehard!  Grew up in Pasadena.  The Reds were the hated team then, and now of course it's mainly SF.

When we moved from Pittsburgh to LA in 1974 I had a big problem, being a Pirates fan  :o

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 11:28:48 AM »
Have you Dodgers/Reds fans ever read this book?

Haven’t read it yet myself, but it’s in my wishlist on my local library website.  I’ve grown more interested in sports-related books over the past 10-20 years, and LOVE vintage magazines with articles from my favorite sports historical eras, like Baseball/Hockey Digest, Hockey Illustrated, etc.

I always wondered why the B.R.M.-era Reds never won another division after 1976.  But their success also started before 1975-76 with the postseason appearances in 1970 and 1972, they just didn’t win the big crown right away.  And look how long the poor Dodgers had to wait - until Fernando-mania in 1981.  As for the lack of TV airings of the ‘75 Series, I think there’s a DVD box set of the full 7 games, but it’s probably long out of print and north of $100 for a copy.  There are also highlight videos in existence, but similar situation.  I have the 1977 Yankees set and short videos for 1977 and 1978, but I bought them years ago and fairly cheaply at the time.

Offline drono

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 12:41:23 PM »

I'd never even heard of it.

I’ve grown more interested in sports-related books over the past 10-20 years, and LOVE vintage magazines with articles from my favorite sports historical eras, like Baseball/Hockey Digest, Hockey Illustrated, etc.

I just threw away boxes of those when I cleaned out my mother's attic.  First I filled the recycling can, but then it was too heavy to roll to the curb, and since they only pick it up every other week, I filled her two trash cans for a few weeks in a row.  I could have passed my burden off to you.

As for the lack of TV airings of the ‘75 Series, I think there’s a DVD box set of the full 7 games, but it’s probably long out of print and north of $100 for a copy. 

I'm not really into buying or renting DVDs, I prefer it to be on TV.  I don't know why.   In these days of no live sports,  I'm just tired of ESPN, MLB, and NFL networks' airing games (many are completely meaningless) from the last 4-5 seasons.  I'd love to see replays of the early Super Bowls or World Series games of the '60s and '70s.

Sorry, to get off topic Brian, I don't have any of those.  I don't even have the Dodgers version of any of those.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 01:46:52 PM »

Never heard of it. Now I'm curious

I always wondered why the B.R.M.-era Reds never won another division after 1976.

Two reasons:

1. They traded an "old" Tony Perez after the 76 season. Tony was the heart and soul of the Reds. Every player said so. Pete Rose even complained about the trade on local television, saying, "Did they ever think maybe we can't win without this guy?". His replacement hit .300, with 17 homers, and 91 RBI (pretty darn good!), but it was never the same without Doggie. BTW, "old" Tony Perez played another 10 seasons  :-\

2. The pitching was terrible. So bad that the Reds traded like 5 players to get Tom Seaver from the Mets. He went 14-2 with a no-hitter, but the other pitchers were awful. Even the relievers.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:49:29 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 02:30:49 PM »
I remember from my 1978 Topps cards that the Reds did not have a lot of big-name pitchers, at least not in comparison to Don Sutton, Burt Hooton, Tommy John et al, but also Mr Steinbrenner plucked away Don Gullett and Rawly Eastwick in free agency, even though their careers were effectively over shortly thereafter.  Billy Martin was not known for keeping pitch count limits, to say the least. Different times for sure.

I did not realize Tony Perez was that super-important to the team chemistry, but I know how much of a difference one guy can make sometimes.  I’m sure the Reds of the early 90’s wished they had held on to Paul O’Neill after seeing how many more prolific seasons he still had in him.  I remember hearing he couldn’t get along with Lou Piniella, but I never understood why.  Both fiery, passionate competitors.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 02:46:00 PM »
In Pittsburgh, we had Willie Stargell as the heart of the team.  Anyone remember when he ducked down to not get hit by a wild pitch that was heading for his head, and it hit his bat, resulting in a called strike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmqT4cS5Ig4
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:39:58 PM by RawGoo »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 04:29:10 PM »
That’s adding insult to injury, isn’t it?  The more common version is the high and tight pitch that hits the bottom knob of the bat, under the hands.  I think that’s a strike too.

Offline drono

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 04:12:12 AM »
The more common version is the high and tight pitch that hits the bottom knob of the bat, under the hands.  I think that’s a strike too.

I'm sure that happens a lot more than is publicized.  Any ball that strikes the bat even by accident is treated the same as one that was struck intentionally.  It would've only shown up on TWiB if it went into fair play and the runner beat the throw to first, or maybe it worked as a squeeze play, followed by a "How about that!"  Baseball fans who remember Mel Allen will know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:19:18 AM by drono »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 06:12:02 AM »
Never heard of it. Now I'm curious

Two reasons:

2. The pitching was terrible. So bad that the Reds traded like 5 players to get Tom Seaver from the Mets. He went 14-2 with a no-hitter, but the other pitchers were awful. Even the relievers.

It doesn’t matter how many players you give up when they all suck. In exchange for Seaver the Mets got a few serviceable, average players (Pat Zachary, Doug Flynn, and Steve Henderson)  and a minor leaguer who went nowhere (Dan Norman). This for arguably the best right handed pitcher in baseball history at age 31. 🙄

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 07:20:15 AM »
That trade was more about the Mets having to hurriedly unload a disgruntled Seaver than really trying to improve the team.  The Reds must have had them over a barrel to get them to agree to that trade.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 07:23:12 AM »
I'm sure that happens a lot more than is publicized.  Any ball that strikes the bat even by accident is treated the same as one that was struck intentionally.  It would've only shown up on TWiB if it went into fair play and the runner beat the throw to first, or maybe it worked as a squeeze play, followed by a "How about that!"  Baseball fans who remember Mel Allen will know what I'm talking about.
TWIB was the best.  They actually produced a DVD of the first season the show came into existence (1977, thought it was older than that), which I eagerly gobbled up of course, but nothing beyond that.  I guess the sales just weren’t adequate to continue.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 08:10:33 AM »
That trade was more about the Mets having to hurriedly unload a disgruntled Seaver than really trying to improve the team.  The Reds must have had them over a barrel to get them to agree to that trade.

The Mets refused to renegotiate his contract in the wake of free agency, even as most other teams had done with their best players. He basically had a renegotiated deal ironed out though, because he wanted to stay, until that a-hole Dick Young insulted his wife in the NY Post. That did it. M. Donald Grant drove him out of town because he was an entitled executive who looked down on players and was stuck in a past where that attitude was acceptable. Grant was actually infuriated that Seaver had joined the same country club he belonged to. Who let the riff raff in?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:25:47 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »

It doesn’t matter how many players you give up when they all suck. In exchange for Seaver the Mets got a few serviceable, average players (Pat Zachary, Doug Flynn, and Steve Henderson)  and a minor leaguer who went nowhere (Dan Norman). This for arguably the best right handed pitcher in baseball history at age 31. 🙄

I never said it was a good trade for the Mets  ;)

My point was that the Reds' pitching was terrible in '77. It was the most easily quantifiable reason for the Reds drop-off (hard to put a number on losing Perez. His loss was bemoaned by teammates and Sparky Anderson for years)

Adding Seaver was incredible, but it wasn't enough. Somehow, the Reds still managed to win 88 games. After the '77 season, the Reds traded for Vida Blue and the pitching staff was suddenly looking VERY good.... until the commissioner nullified the deal. What a weinerhead
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:24:08 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 09:23:18 AM »
The Mets refused to renegotiate his contract in the wake of free agency, even as most other teams had done with their best players. He basically had a renegotiated deal ironed out though, because he wanted to stay, until that a-hole Dick Young insulted his wife in the NY Post. That did it. M. Donald Grant drove him out of town because he was an entitled executive who looked down on players and was stuck in a past where that attitude was acceptable. Grant was actually infuriated that Seaver had joined the same country club he belonged to. Who let the riff raff in?
Yes, I remember hearing some of this, but you obviously know the whole inside story of what happened.  Before Frank Cashen the Mets front office was a complete train wreck.  I went to Mets games from a very early age (grew up close to Shea) but during those mid to late 70s seasons I’m sure I was thinking more about busting open a box of Cracker Jack than I was the team itself lol.  Strangely, despite the state of the team in those cellar-dwelling seasons, they ALWAYS seemed to win the games I attended.  Conversely in the years I’ve been attending Yankee games in the new stadium, they often lose those games, despite their success overall.  Go figure.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 02:59:44 PM »
I'm not really into buying or renting DVDs, I prefer it to be on TV.  I don't know why.   In these days of no live sports,  I'm just tired of ESPN, MLB, and NFL networks' airing games (many are completely meaningless) from the last 4-5 seasons.  I'd love to see replays of the early Super Bowls or World Series games of the '60s and '70s.
FYI, MLB is airing Game 3 of the 1970 World Series between Cincinnati and Baltimore at 1:30am ET tonight, followed by a 1 hour highlight reel of that entire WS.  Obviously a DVR situation unless you’re a night owl / insomniac.  Granted not one of the winning WS for the Reds, but vintage Reds nonetheless.  I just hope you get the same programming where you are, and that it doesn’t vary regionally (I’m east coast).

Offline drono

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 01:20:58 PM »
FYI, MLB is airing Game 3 of the 1970 World Series between Cincinnati and Baltimore at 1:30am ET tonight, followed by a 1 hour highlight reel of that entire WS.  Obviously a DVR situation unless you’re a night owl / insomniac. 

I would've loved to have seen that.  Maybe they'll replay it and I'll be able to DVR it.  I guess they think that us old farts have nothing better to do than watch old WS games at 1:30 in the morning.

Online bigtomi

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »
I guess they think that us old farts have nothing better to do than watch old WS games at 1:30 in the morning.
When we actually have nothing better to do than play with stickers that are almost as old as we are.   :]

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 03:29:45 PM »
When we actually have nothing better to do than play with stickers that are almost as old as we are.   :]

Too true!  I spent several hours this week updating my list of extra PSA Wackys. 

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
I would've loved to have seen that.  Maybe they'll replay it and I'll be able to DVR it.  I guess they think that us old farts have nothing better to do than watch old WS games at 1:30 in the morning.
Keep an eye out - they seldom air something like that just once.

Offline drono

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »
Keep an eye out - they seldom air something like that just once.

I found it streaming on MLB's youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi70flcQkwNvxC7kKFsUKKaH810CZlRfW

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 03:13:02 PM »
One night last week, I watched all 4 games of the 1990 World Series on YouTube. Great memories for a Reds fan
Brian Mc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 05:34:43 PM »
One thing I’ve wanted to do for a long time is a multi-city road trip to attend baseball games at 4 or 5 stadiums over several days, and Great American Ballpark would be one I’d try to include.  Looks great on TV.  I’m thinking Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Toronto, maybe Milwaukee.  I think there are organized bus charters for this sort of thing as well.  Don’t think it’s in the cards anytime soon though, just too much going on, not to mention.....NO SPORTS IN SESSION!!!  :sad:

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 02:42:01 AM »
You must hit St. Louis. It's a great baseball town, they turn out for their Cards, the ballpark is great, and the view from home plate into the outfield is great (it includes the city skyline and a great view of the arch). Highly recommended for a baseball fan.
Brian Mc

Offline drono

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 04:41:26 AM »
I found it streaming on MLB's youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi70flcQkwNvxC7kKFsUKKaH810CZlRfW

I watched game 5 of the 1970 World Series -- nearing the end of the era when baseball was truly great -- daytime game, no designated hitter, swinging at first pitches, no pitch counts, complete games, games that rarely lasted over 2 hours, no walk up music, etc.

One thing I’ve wanted to do for a long time is a multi-city road trip to attend baseball games at 4 or 5 stadiums over several days.

I would've wanted to do this 40 years ago.  I'm not sure there are many stadiums I still want to visit.  I've been to three of the four oldest still in use, Fenway, Dodger, and Anaheim.  I'd love to see a game at Wrigley before it's gone.  I would've loved to visit old Tiger Stadium and old Yankee Stadium.  I do admire the way they've made the new ball parks look nostalgic, but they should realize that the modern game has lost some of what made it special in years past.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:14:50 PM by drono »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 05:48:16 AM »
Old, nostalgic baseball stadiums I visited would be Three Rivers, Dodger, Shea and Yankee.  Haven't been to a game in years.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 05:47:24 PM »
I watched game 5 of the 1970 World Series -- nearing the end of the era when baseball was truly great -- daytime game, no designated hitter, swinging at first pitches, no pitch counts, complete games, games that rarely lasted over 2 hours, no walk up music, etc.

I would've wanted to do this 40 years ago.  I'm not sure there are many stadiums I still want to visit.  I've been to three of the four oldest still in use, Fenway, Dodger, and Anaheim.  I'd love to see a game at Wrigley before it's gone.  I would've loved to visit old Tiger Stadium and old Yankee Stadium.  I do admire the way they've made the new ball parks look nostalgic, but they should realize that the modern game has lost some of what made it special in years past.

“Walk up music” - never could think of a term for it myself, but it’s my single biggest peeve about attending the modern game - in between every batter, inning, pitching change, etc., loud, blaring, pointless music CONSTANTLY.  If you’re at the game with someone, you can’t carry on a conversation during the downtime in the game.  It’s like hanging out in a hopping bar where everyone’s trying to talk over the roar of everyone else.  Exhausting.  I like the traditional ballpark stuff like the organist playing the usual little ballpark riffs, but the blaring music, asinine Jumbotron distractions, little sideshow trivia contests, etc. I could really do without.

As for stadiums already visited, other than my hometown Yankee old & new, Shea and Citi Field, the only non-local venue I’ve been to?  Lowly Tropicana Field, twice (on Fla vacations).  It was still fun though.  But I’ve got a looooonnnngggggg way to go.  Have a cousin on my wife’s side who’s been doing the traveling thing with his wife, and I think they’ve been to at least a dozen or so venues.  They live in Texas, and they’ve got a new Rangers ballpark waiting for them if and when the season ever gets underway.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »
You must hit St. Louis. It's a great baseball town, they turn out for their Cards, the ballpark is great, and the view from home plate into the outfield is great (it includes the city skyline and a great view of the arch). Highly recommended for a baseball fan.
Yes, and I would also try to hit KC if I ever venture in that direction, love that venue.  The water fountains, traffic zipping by behind the outfield, the history, etc.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 03:29:08 AM »
“Walk up music” - never could think of a term for it myself, but it’s my single biggest peeve about attending the modern game - in between every batter, inning, pitching change, etc., loud, blaring, pointless music CONSTANTLY.  If you’re at the game with someone, you can’t carry on a conversation during the downtime in the game.  It’s like hanging out in a hopping bar where everyone’s trying to talk over the roar of everyone else.  Exhausting.  I like the traditional ballpark stuff like the organist playing the usual little ballpark riffs, but the blaring music, asinine Jumbotron distractions, little sideshow trivia contests, etc. I could really do without.

I notice the same is true at NFL and NBA games. And even into college sports. It’s as if no one can stand  a moment of silence any time there is not game actIon in progress. Watch out golf... were coming for you next!
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 05:36:44 AM »
And don’t even get me started with the postgame on-field interview amplified for the whole stadium to hear, two seconds after the game ends.  Thankfully I’m usually already on my way out before then.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 06:08:02 AM »
And don’t even get me started with the postgame on-field interview amplified for the whole stadium to hear, two seconds after the game ends.  Thankfully I’m usually already on my way out before then.

I gave up on professional sports because of all the cheating.  I do miss the energy and excitement of following a team, like the Pittsburgh teams when I lived there in the 70's, and then the New York teams, but the real enjoyment is gone for me.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 08:06:14 AM »
I gave up on professional sports because of all the cheating.  I do miss the energy and excitement of following a team, like the Pittsburgh teams when I lived there in the 70's, and then the New York teams, but the real enjoyment is gone for me.

Cheating? I'm guessing you also believe Pro Wrestling is fake!

anything