Author Topic: Wacky Packages blockchain set?  (Read 7531 times)

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
Wacky Packages blockchain set?
« on: May 13, 2020, 09:06:42 PM »
Anyone buy any packs of the GPK Blockchain set?  It sold out in less than a day.  I wonder if they will do a Wacky Packages set?

https://toppsgpk.io/

Offline DrDeal

Re: Wacky Packages blockchain set?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 03:27:04 AM »
I really hope Wacky's do not enter this space. Leave that to the younger GPK crowd. I prefer physical cards.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 03:47:43 AM »
Anyone buy any packs of the GPK Blockchain set?  It sold out in less than a day.  I wonder if they will do a Wacky Packages set?

But you have to admit, the animated  “cards” and ones that phase back and forth between the sketch and final artwork are pretty cool.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 04:11:05 AM »

I didn't even notice these.  How do you sell out of something virtual?

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 04:45:30 AM »
I didn't even notice these.  How do you sell out of something virtual?
Exactly.

These are not my cup of tea, but, it's a nice idea for Topps to try. Some people like this stuff. If Topps can sell it, more power to them!

Brian Mc

Offline quas

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 04:47:55 AM »
Why would anyone buy these?  I don't get it.  What about just using Snag-It?
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 05:00:03 AM »
Why would anyone buy these?  I don't get it.  What about just using Snag-It?

As sco(o)t noted, the animated "cards" are pretty cool.  But I can't see myself buying these.  I still like my CDs and DVDs for heaven's sake!  Wilma Flintstone, in the flesh  :]

Offline quas

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 05:01:19 AM »
I just bought a CD.  And my 2001 Camry still has both a CD player and a cassette player, if you can believe that....
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 05:09:25 AM »
I just bought a CD.  And my 2001 Camry still has both a CD player and a cassette player, if you can believe that....

Wow, I'd love a cassette player!  I used to make great tapes off of CDs using my stereo.  The CD player in my (2008) car croaked years ago  :sad:  Even the display is toast, which makes it darn near impossible to tune the radio.

Offline drono

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 10:51:33 AM »
It sounds like Topps found a way to sell the Brooklyn Bridge or maybe some swamp land.

I've never liked buy kindles or electronic versions of anything.  Now that I'm cleaning out boxes of old magazines that I can't remember why I kept, maybe I should change my opinion on that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:58:28 AM by drono »

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
I'd rather own a piece of cardboard than a bunch of digital 1's and 0's, but that's just me.

Kindles are nice, but I still prefer having an actual book on my shelf and having it in my hands.

Online mikecho

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »
I'd rather own a piece of cardboard than a bunch of digital 1's and 0's, but that's just me.

Kindles are nice, but I still prefer having an actual book on my shelf and having it in my hands.
Well, you got that right, brother!

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 08:02:41 AM »
LOL, they use the blockchain, so it's similar to buying bitcoin or something, just instead of a virtual coin, it's a virtual card.  The reason they sold out, is that each card is limited to a certain number.  You can trade or buy/sell these via the online marketplace.

Personally, I like blockchain currencies that trade in processing power and sell that power on the free market to be used for productive things.  Mined coins like Bitcoin just seem to be wasting the world's electricity and processing power in my opinion.

As for digital cards, I prefer physical autographs and sketches.  I might have bought a pack or two of these for the novelty if they hadn't sold out.  I do believe the people that bought these will make a nice profit on them though.

Offline quas

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
LOL, they use the blockchain, so it's similar to buying bitcoin or something, just instead of a virtual coin, it's a virtual card.  The reason they sold out, is that each card is limited to a certain number.  You can trade or buy/sell these via the online marketplace.

Personally, I like blockchain currencies that trade in processing power and sell that power on the free market to be used for productive things.  Mined coins like Bitcoin just seem to be wasting the world's electricity and processing power in my opinion.

As for digital cards, I prefer physical autographs and sketches.  I might have bought a pack or two of these for the novelty if they hadn't sold out.  I do believe the people that bought these will make a nice profit on them though.

Nothing yet on ebay for "blockchain topps".
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »

I just listed a bottle of air without the bottle.  You think someone will buy that?

Online mikecho

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »
I just listed a bottle of air without the bottle.  You think someone will buy that?
I've got a better idea for you that that!

Just tell them you've got some oceanfront property in Arizona you'd like to sell them, and if they'll buy that, tell them you'll throw in the Golden Gate Bridge for practically nothing, LOL!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:41:55 PM by mikecho »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »

A super rare BlockChain GPK sold for $150 already on Ebay.

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 08:19:00 AM »
Looks like these are now selling at about 10 to 15 times cost, so $100 investment is now worth $1000 to $1500.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 12:24:19 PM »
WTF - is Garbage Pail Kids the new Bitcoin?!

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 09:56:13 PM »
Unreal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-WAX-Garbage-Pail-Kids-DIGITAL-MEGA-Pack-GPK-1st-series-30-Cards-Blockchain/333599941286?hash=item4dac1b22a6:g:x7IAAOSwVpRev0Y8

Yah, pretty good return on $25.  Just wait until Topps does their first baseball blockchain set.  It will sell out in less than a minute and prices will by way crazier than GPK.

Panini has digital basketball cards and some of them go for thousands of dollars.  And people complain about Upper Deck epack, where you have to combine 5 or 10 digital cards to make a physical card you can have mailed to you.  I guess Upper Deck should have skipped physical cards and tried blockchain instead.

Offline drono

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 01:38:00 PM »
Just wait until Topps does their first baseball blockchain set.  It will sell out in less than a minute and prices will be way crazier than GPK.

And you'll still just own a bottle of air without the bottle.  Actually, it will be a digital picture of the air that used to be in the bottle.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
And you'll still just own a bottle of air without the bottle.  Actually, it will be a digital picture of the air that used to be in the bottle.

I just can't see myself paying money for virtual cards.  Hell, the only virtual books and music I "own" on Amazon were either free or purchased with Amazon rewards I got after buying physical CDs and DVDs.  And, I recall a report that Amazon can delete your virtual items.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »
It won't be long until PSA announces they will be grading the virtual cards.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »
I just can't see myself paying money for virtual cards.  Hell, the only virtual books and music I "own" on Amazon were either free or purchased with Amazon rewards I got after buying physical CDs and DVDs.  And, I recall a report that Amazon can delete your virtual items.

I think this is kind of a generational thing. I also confess to prefer to have a physical copy of CDs and DVDs. I usually buy the DVD sets with 4K, Bluray and digital copies. I  often watch the digital copies on line and normally listen to an MP3 player but still feel more secure with owning physical backups. I have seen too many "too big to fail" companies go under in the past 60 years to believe there is no chance these digital copies are completely safe. Just like I have seen some friends' retirement savings evaporate or go under with a failing company. My 28 year old daughter, on the other hand, rarely buys physical media and it seems her entire entertainment collection, including photos, is all in the cloud accessed via her phone. I also still prefer using an "old fashioned" PC and keyboard when typing anything of length, like this post, as I am not a fan of keying in from a cell phone or iPad. I do, however, use an iPad about 90% of the time for most other things. Maybe this all has to do with a tad of of mistrust and discomfort in technology mixed with a healthy skepticism in  companies and governments  looking out for my benefit. Here is our video collection wall.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:41:06 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2020, 08:44:59 PM »

I must admit, I like having the hard copys also.

Jim

Offline quas

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 04:24:59 AM »
Depending on how far back you go, some LP album covers were very easy on the eyes:

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/firefall

Marc

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 01:04:02 PM »
I watched the recent release of the Topps / Wax Blockchain release of GPK last week and it's absolutely crazy what people are paying for digital cards on eBay now ! My opinion is they're absolutely cool with what they've done with the different variations of cards and limited numbers of releases. As a die hard Wacky Pack collector and hobbyist would we like to see these expanded into Wacky Packs ? My thought are a resounding yes... if not for the cool factor perhaps from an investment standpoint as well. They could really come up with some insane original series rarities that may drive collectors in a whole new way of collecting individual unique titles... Just wanted some feedback as to how we Wacky collectors feel about this new platform...

Kirk
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »
I watched the recent release of the Topps / Wax Blockchain release of GPK last week and it's absolutely crazy what people are paying for digital cards on eBay now ! My opinion is they're absolutely cool with what they've done with the different variations of cards and limited numbers of releases. As a die hard Wacky Pack collector and hobbyist would we like to see these expanded into Wacky Packs ? My thought are a resounding yes... if not for the cool factor perhaps from an investment standpoint as well. They could really come up with some insane original series rarities that may drive collectors in a whole new way of collecting individual unique titles... Just wanted some feedback as to how we Wacky collectors feel about this new platform...

Kirk

Just call me Wilma Flintstone.......  I will not spend large quantities of money unless I really understand what I'm buying, and with virtual cards, I feel completely lost. 

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »
Just call me Wilma Flintstone.......  I will not spend large quantities of money unless I really understand what I'm buying, and with virtual cards, I feel completely lost. 

I'm with you Pat but, I'd hate to be left behind if there's demand for these as it's showing in the GPK world right now. I'm going to spend some time to learn about them today as they are already SOLD OUT on their first release OS 1st series packs. Check out some videos on Youtube and I think the consensus is split at the moment but, the prices are crazy from what i see and packs that have sold  :o
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:18:12 PM by CherryBombs »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 01:30:10 PM »
To me this seems like it is all really about chasing money and folks looking for new, easy profit sources and has little to do with actually collecting GPK other than as an identifier.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 01:32:03 PM »
So you can't even "possess" your digital cards without an account?  What happens if they go bankrupt? 

I truly hope they don't do this with Wackys.

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 01:50:37 PM »
If buying for profit helps me in my card collecting cardboard sets... then I'm all in...  sign me up now ! There's not enough high grade original Wacky Packs original series cards to go around and when they do, they go fast and expensively. I have looked at the digital platform and I do like the rarity and different variations the've come up with. Blockchain isn't going anywhere... If you snooze you lose ! This who choose not to embrace the new technology are doomed to extinction and will ask themselves why didn't I get in on it early Imho... I say bring on The digital Wacky Packs !
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:35:06 PM by CherryBombs »

Offline drono

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 02:01:20 PM »
The insanity or new normality has begun !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303569108395

It looks like two newbies (24 feedback and 31 feedback) who either don't understand how to use eBay or they have more money than sense.

If buying for profit helps me in my card collecting cardboard sets... then I'm all in... 

It feels like one of those chain email letters that make it seem like a no lose situation.  But they always forget about the physical limitations of how many email addresses exist, how many have already seen it, geometric progression, etc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:09:20 PM by drono »