Author Topic: Upchuck's Barf Stew  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Upchuck's Barf Stew
« on: May 09, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
I finally got an Upchuck's! Yay!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:20:29 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Upchuck's Barf Stew
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »
Congrats!  Maybe someday I'll get one, too.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »
YOU don't have one?!?!?

I figured I was the only one around these parts who didn't.

Now, to find a Stenchiladas!!
Brian Mc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 02:39:10 PM »
There are a lot of Wacky items I don't have!!  Stenchiladas included.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:33:59 PM »
There are a lot of Wacky items I don't have!!  Stenchiladas included.

Man do those 2 titles bring back a memory for me, they were part of a give away for those that attended the "99" Wacky reunion.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »

Man do those 2 titles bring back a memory for me, they were part of a give away for those that attended the "99" Wacky reunion.

Back in 1999 I had no idea that there were Wacky collectors who had forums and gatherings, or I would certainly have participated.  I was working on my 1-16 run, and made two significant additions in 1999: my beautiful Series 1 and Series 16 sets.  I still remember that when the Series 16 set arrived, about half of the stickers were missing the kiss cuts.  I wanted to keep them as oddities, but couldn't afford the money for another set and exchanged them for a set with the kiss cuts.  Had I had a bunch of forum friends I'd have probably kept them and just looked to buy the individual stickers.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 04:33:54 AM »
I became involved in these forums when the first ANS series were released, so I missed a lot of these cool promos and exclusives too. Plus, I'm a Wisconsin guy, so getting to the Philly shows or other East coast gatherings were not possible for me at the time. Especially when I just got married in 2004 and we were buying our first home, etc. When does the Stenchilada card look like? Anyone have a photo?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 07:46:44 AM »
Same with me about ANS1.  In my case it is sad because I could have easily gotten to earlier east coast gatherings in the 90's.  Not only was my mother in much better health back then, but my sister was still at home.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 08:06:55 AM »
What does the Stenchilada card look like? Anyone have a photo?

Somebody posted a picture of it here just recently...
Brian Mc

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 08:26:03 AM »
Brian,

That is AWESOME!!!!

I want one!!!!! If you or anyone is interesting in selling . trading one day - Place me at the top of the list!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »
I have one, but the inside is blank?  :-\

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »
I have one, but the inside is blank?  :-\

I think those were sold through Non Sport Update.  Sadly, I had already spent my mad money for that year.  I'd be happy to have a copy of the unsigned version!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 08:11:05 AM »

Can you post a good picture of Stenchiladas here so everybody can see it, please?? :D
Brian Mc

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:54:55 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
Thanks Patrick! I knew somebody had posted a picture of it, but I could NOT find it!!

Brian Mc

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 06:53:47 PM »
Reading through this thread reminded me of the story of my Stenchiladas card that I may never (or at least not in a long time) have shared here before.  It's a fairly long story, but here's the skinny.

I live in Wisconsin but made it to the Chicago nonsports shows back in the 90's and met Jay Lynch there a couple times.  One year (maybe '97 or 98) a few of us Wacky collectors even went to Jay's apartment after the show and he showed us much of his personal Wacky archives.  Needless to say, it was super cool and Jay was very hospitable to us fanboys.

I'm also a big fan of Funny Face kool-aid.  I don't know that I thought about it as a kid, but I did as an adult that it was a shame that Wackys had never parodied FF.  At any rate, I saw some of the "Wackys" that Mike Gidwitz (sp?), a wealthy collector, had commissioned Jay to make for him.  They tended to be off-color, as I recall (though the only one I remember was one called "Mountain Jew", with Moses on a parodied can of Mountain Dew).  It quickly became a dream to have Jay make a Funny Face Wacky as he might have back in the 70's.  Having never commissioned a work of art before, much less something so close to my collecting heart in two areas, I was nervous about even asking Jay to do it.  But he was very gracious and we exchanged a number of emails as we decided which one to do and what approach to take.  He painted the Runny Face/Goopy Grape painting that has made it into one of the original Lost Wacky series.  That painting has been proudly displayed on my wall since '99.  At the time when Jay sent me his finished painting, he included a Stenchiladas greeting card in which he painted a bonus FF-Wacky included, Ah-Choo Cherry (pic posted below.  The actual character was named Choo-Choo Cherry).  I wish now I had had Jay do one of many of the Funny Face gang.  He was wonderful to work with and I certainly appreciate his going above and beyond when I approached him to create my fanboy dream.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 07:46:08 PM »
Reading through this thread reminded me of the story of my Stenchiladas card that I may never (or at least not in a long time) have shared here before.  It's a fairly long story, but here's the skinny.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 09:35:25 PM »

Did anyone ever do a "roll" for who attended that '99 Philly Show and Reunion Event at Jeff's afterwards?  I always remember it being nearly everyone who was anyone in Wackys at the time, including all the Topps people present at the show, short of maybe 3 or 4 of the known main collectors at the time.  There was a photo of some of the attendees, but I don't think I saw a list of names ever.  It's still surreal remembering it, and thinking about just how much of the known rare items were all there under one roof temporarily.  I think we estimated that it was .25M in 1999 $, which is before Art went for more than 2K, and when you could still pick up a 16th series sticker for $10, and die-cuts for under 20.  ...and not once did "Ogre" ever run through the house yelling, "Neerrrrrrddssss!"

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »
Did anyone ever do a "roll" for who attended that '99 Philly Show and Reunion Event at Jeff's afterwards?  I always remember it being nearly everyone who was anyone in Wackys at the time, including all the Topps people present at the show, short of maybe 3 or 4 of the known main collectors at the time.  There was a photo of some of the attendees, but I don't think I saw a list of names ever.  It's still surreal remembering it, and thinking about just how much of the known rare items were all there under one roof temporarily.  I think we estimated that it was .25M in 1999 $, which is before Art went for more than 2K, and when you could still pick up a 16th series sticker for $10, and die-cuts for under 20.  ...and not once did "Ogre" ever run through the house yelling, "Neerrrrrrddssss!"

I could be wrong, but was there an article in The Wrapper with a pic and names by it?  I didn't know all that many people in the hobby then (I had just started recollecting two years prior and this was before social media was such a big thing).  I don't think I appreciated how monumental it was at the time.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »
I could be wrong, but was there an article in The Wrapper with a pic and names by it?  I didn't know all that many people in the hobby then (I had just started recollecting two years prior and this was before social media was such a big thing).  I don't think I appreciated how monumental it was at the time.
You are likely thinking of the '05 reunion in Philly at Greg's.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:03:29 AM by bigtomi »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
Is anyone from this forum in that photo? I met only a few collectors here in person that live in my area, but most people I don't even know what they look like.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:45:44 PM by Swiski »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 08:02:03 PM »
Is anyone from this forum in that photo? I met only a few collectors here in person that live in my area, but most people I don't even know what they look like.

I was at the '99 reunion at Greg's place/Philly show, but not at this one in '05.  I'm sure someone has a pic of the '99 show.  It, like this one, was in the hallway of Greg's building.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 10:28:46 PM »

Nearly everyone in the photo is on this forum.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 04:36:00 AM »
I was at the '99 reunion at Greg's place/Philly show, but not at this one in '05.  I'm sure someone has a pic of the '99 show.  It, like this one, was in the hallway of Greg's building.
the 1999 "reunion" was at Jeff's house.  Many gatherings tried to emulate that gathering but it was never duplicated.  Jeff long since left the hobby. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »
I was there at Greg's but I unfortunately left before that pic was taken.  I believe there were a few others that left and at one point Greg redid a picture with us photoshopped in. That was the first night that the incredible Mr. Jay Lynch started to do his personalized there sketches.  It was amazing to watch him work.  That was a fun reunion as there were so many people there from all over.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 10:09:27 AM »
Nearly everyone in the photo is on this forum.
Here is the Wrapper page showing the photo, the line drawing and name list. The forum names listed, of course, are what they were on Greg's forum, but most folks brought the same names to this forum.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 12:21:26 PM »
Here is the Wrapper page showing the photo, the line drawing and name list. The forum names listed, of course, are what they were on Greg's forum, but most folks brought the same names to this forum.

I'm not sure how I missed being in that picture as I was there and it was a great weekend.  Wish I had taken more pics, but happy to have a dozen or so.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 02:28:21 PM »
I'm not sure how I missed being in that picture as I was there and it was a great weekend.
In your post above, you said you didn't attend the '05 reunion. That would explain why you aren't in the photo, eh?

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »

Oh man... I forgot about that 2nd Wacky reunion.  I couldn't make it out to that one for some reason.  I remember talking to some of you guys on the phone during the party, though.  Probably a good thing as I'd have been tempted to do another massive art trade.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »
In your post above, you said you didn't attend the '05 reunion. That would explain why you aren't in the photo, eh?

Yeah, I think I was very confused when I made that post and realized it later and just didn't' go back to correct it.  Wasn't '05 when someone got the yellow wrapper Wacky Packages cake (wish I could remember who)?  I recall hanging out with Jay.  Who knows, maybe I'm still confused.  But I know I was at Greg's for a "reunion" and, despite my earlier statement, I do think it was '05.  But maybe not.  Or maybe I just need a lot more sleep  :o

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
Yeah, I think I was very confused when I made that post and realized it later and just didn't' go back to correct it.  Wasn't '05 when someone got the yellow wrapper Wacky Packages cake (wish I could remember who)?  I recall hanging out with Jay.  Who knows, maybe I'm still confused.  But I know I was at Greg's for a "reunion" and, despite my earlier statement, I do think it was '05.  But maybe not.  Or maybe I just need a lot more sleep  :o
greg had several gatherings.  I think the one documented by the wrapper article was the largest.  I don't recall when he stopped offering free room and board for many attendees of this parties but I know one of the parties people were literally standing on furniture and counter tops like it was a frat party.

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

anything