Author Topic: Upchuck's Barf Stew  (Read 494 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Upchuck's Barf Stew
« on: May 09, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
I finally got an Upchuck's! Yay!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:20:29 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Upchuck's Barf Stew
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »
Congrats!  Maybe someday I'll get one, too.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »
YOU don't have one?!?!?

I figured I was the only one around these parts who didn't.

Now, to find a Stenchiladas!!
Brian Mc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 02:39:10 PM »
There are a lot of Wacky items I don't have!!  Stenchiladas included.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:33:59 PM »
There are a lot of Wacky items I don't have!!  Stenchiladas included.

Man do those 2 titles bring back a memory for me, they were part of a give away for those that attended the "99" Wacky reunion.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »

Man do those 2 titles bring back a memory for me, they were part of a give away for those that attended the "99" Wacky reunion.

Back in 1999 I had no idea that there were Wacky collectors who had forums and gatherings, or I would certainly have participated.  I was working on my 1-16 run, and made two significant additions in 1999: my beautiful Series 1 and Series 16 sets.  I still remember that when the Series 16 set arrived, about half of the stickers were missing the kiss cuts.  I wanted to keep them as oddities, but couldn't afford the money for another set and exchanged them for a set with the kiss cuts.  Had I had a bunch of forum friends I'd have probably kept them and just looked to buy the individual stickers.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 04:33:54 AM »
I became involved in these forums when the first ANS series were released, so I missed a lot of these cool promos and exclusives too. Plus, I'm a Wisconsin guy, so getting to the Philly shows or other East coast gatherings were not possible for me at the time. Especially when I just got married in 2004 and we were buying our first home, etc. When does the Stenchilada card look like? Anyone have a photo?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 07:46:44 AM »
Same with me about ANS1.  In my case it is sad because I could have easily gotten to earlier east coast gatherings in the 90's.  Not only was my mother in much better health back then, but my sister was still at home.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 08:06:55 AM »
What does the Stenchilada card look like? Anyone have a photo?

Somebody posted a picture of it here just recently...
Brian Mc

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 08:26:03 AM »
Brian,

That is AWESOME!!!!

I want one!!!!! If you or anyone is interesting in selling . trading one day - Place me at the top of the list!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »
I have one, but the inside is blank?  :-\

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »
I have one, but the inside is blank?  :-\

I think those were sold through Non Sport Update.  Sadly, I had already spent my mad money for that year.  I'd be happy to have a copy of the unsigned version!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 08:11:05 AM »

Can you post a good picture of Stenchiladas here so everybody can see it, please?? :D
Brian Mc

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:54:55 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
Thanks Patrick! I knew somebody had posted a picture of it, but I could NOT find it!!

Brian Mc

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 06:53:47 PM »
Reading through this thread reminded me of the story of my Stenchiladas card that I may never (or at least not in a long time) have shared here before.  It's a fairly long story, but here's the skinny.

I live in Wisconsin but made it to the Chicago nonsports shows back in the 90's and met Jay Lynch there a couple times.  One year (maybe '97 or 98) a few of us Wacky collectors even went to Jay's apartment after the show and he showed us much of his personal Wacky archives.  Needless to say, it was super cool and Jay was very hospitable to us fanboys.

I'm also a big fan of Funny Face kool-aid.  I don't know that I thought about it as a kid, but I did as an adult that it was a shame that Wackys had never parodied FF.  At any rate, I saw some of the "Wackys" that Mike Gidwitz (sp?), a wealthy collector, had commissioned Jay to make for him.  They tended to be off-color, as I recall (though the only one I remember was one called "Mountain Jew", with Moses on a parodied can of Mountain Dew).  It quickly became a dream to have Jay make a Funny Face Wacky as he might have back in the 70's.  Having never commissioned a work of art before, much less something so close to my collecting heart in two areas, I was nervous about even asking Jay to do it.  But he was very gracious and we exchanged a number of emails as we decided which one to do and what approach to take.  He painted the Runny Face/Goopy Grape painting that has made it into one of the original Lost Wacky series.  That painting has been proudly displayed on my wall since '99.  At the time when Jay sent me his finished painting, he included a Stenchiladas greeting card in which he painted a bonus FF-Wacky included, Ah-Choo Cherry (pic posted below.  The actual character was named Choo-Choo Cherry).  I wish now I had had Jay do one of many of the Funny Face gang.  He was wonderful to work with and I certainly appreciate his going above and beyond when I approached him to create my fanboy dream.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 07:46:08 PM »
Reading through this thread reminded me of the story of my Stenchiladas card that I may never (or at least not in a long time) have shared here before.  It's a fairly long story, but here's the skinny.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

anything