Author Topic: Anybody have a least favorite Original Series card?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline BattleCaps

Anybody have a least favorite Original Series card?
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »
Hate the design, product, of just of bad taste?

I can't think of many, but I do remember having the 3rd Series "ARGH" as a child and just couldn't understand the parody at all. Of course, I think I had no idea what corn starch was at the time either.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Anybody have a least favorite Original Series card?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »
I'll have to ponder on this.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 04:23:09 PM »
This is easy for me, Series 2 Sugarmess.  No character, not funny, Main titles doesn't even tie to the gag line, blah.  Scores a 0 in all categories other than being an early series which always scores points for me.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Online quas

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 04:38:45 PM »
Just generally anything with bodily fluids or that depicts animal cruelty.
Marc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 05:12:03 PM »
When I think least favorite I think dull, blah, overly simple, lifeless.  There are some that border on shockingly gross or even scary (to a kid), but I wouldn’t dislike them for that.  Provocative is way better than boring.

There’s probably 20 or so sprinkled throughout the OS, and maybe 20-30 more that are borderline.  But I’m not sure I could narrow it down to the one worst.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 07:05:44 PM »
I tend to dislike the ones that don't actually change the name at all, but only the spelling, and not in a way that changes the meaning... like "Paper Wate" pens, but using "weight" as the gag... or 6Up, a classic, but that doesn't make sense.  But if I have to pick just one, I'd have to say, "Fearstone", for the simple reason that it just doesn't FIT into the rest of the Wackys.  It's not a product that you can put in a shopping bag, and doesn't have a black border.  It looks like it fell out of the Crazy Labels series and got included by accident.  Not the worst gag by any means... and not the ugliest artwork (I agree with Sugarmess on that one), but just doesn't fit IMO.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 12:41:05 PM »
There are none that I actively despise. But excluding Decay Toothpaste and the magazines, I'm not a big fan of Heartburn cereal. You might say it's a little "plain" for my liking. Plus, I never saw it as a kid, so there are no nostalgia points there.

Looking at the dies, I agree with Scott on Fearstone. It looks like an ad for the product, rather than the product itself.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 03:30:06 PM »
I hate Decay toothpaste, because it's a made-up product.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 03:36:37 PM »
Probably Sneezer.

I feel like it looks like a 1985 title...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 07:59:41 PM »
I tend to dislike the ones that don't actually change the name at all, but only the spelling, and not in a way that changes the meaning... like "Paper Wate" pens, but using "weight" as the gag... or 6Up, a classic, but that doesn't make sense.  But if I have to pick just one, I'd have to say, "Fearstone", for the simple reason that it just doesn't FIT into the rest of the Wackys.  It's not a product that you can put in a shopping bag, and doesn't have a black border.  It looks like it fell out of the Crazy Labels series and got included by accident.  Not the worst gag by any means... and not the ugliest artwork (I agree with Sugarmess on that one), but just doesn't fit IMO.
‘Flare’ pen suffers from the same ambiguity.  If they had replaced the pen with a road flare shooting sparks, like a red stick of dynamite, that would have been something, but just a lit match sticking out of a pen?  Doesn’t work, and has nothing to do with a flare.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 01:04:44 AM »
Probably Sneezer.

I feel like it looks like a 1985 title...

Yah, kinda looks like it was done at the same time as Snoot & maybe Rudens.  But it served as one of the few GPK-like body-fluid gags we had to get grossed out on, so I liked it.  Something about the 13th series seemed to mimic the earlier sets & get back to the look that was lost by the 11th & never came backafter the 14th.  Beastball and Sore and Ale and Dumb&Crazy and Doesn't Delight...  except the cans & packages weren't perspectively correct.  Someone else must have been doing them by then.

anything