Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 238389 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #1120 on: July 30, 2020, 04:29:50 PM »
Here's a decent dive I did on the subject matter some years back. 

Nik-L-Nip and other Wondrous & Weird Waxy Candy!
http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=5104

If you want to have a chuckle, look at the Nik-L-Nip header graphic I created for that article and then Google "vintage Nik-L-Nip" and count up how many people have used it.  No, don't actually do that.  But, it's pretty much all of them. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #1121 on: July 30, 2020, 04:37:29 PM »
Jason - your candy site’s been quiet for a long time.  Have you shown everything there is to show, got bored with it, or just busy with other pursuits?  Just wondering.

Good question.  I still intend to add new content up there, and actually did a bunch of work toward a new post on flavored candy cigarettes over the past few weeks that I intend to create and post up soon.  But in many ways, it has become a bit of a legacy site, just not a dead legacy site. 

I did get to the point where each article was taking more and more time, where it would be days and days of scanning, processing and so on, to put something together.  My desire to create complete editorial packages just demanded more from me, and at a point, I had less time to focus on that part of it.  That alone wasn't the reason for the slowdown, though.  Part of it was the year that I was working on the Cooking Channel show/pilot.  That sort of took my eye off the site, and I was enjoying a much more casual ability to share things via instagram, without nearly the "complete editorial package" demands part of it. 

And, there are some things that I could blast out upon the site, that I've sort of been saving for my first book.  Which I had had a number of meetings on, before the pandemic hit. 

As for running out of things, no, nowhere near running out of things to put up there.  I've got years of content, but it's priorities and time and a bit of editorial strategy, too.  I've got SOO much material now that's never been seen anywhere, it's crazy.  But I'll keep getting back to it.  I still have a bunch of work to do on WishbookWeb.com that I want to do this year, and believe it or not, I've actually been really busy lately.  So I keep on doing what I'm doing and keep up seeking out the stories that no one else has documented and so on.

Long answer, I know...  Sorry.  :-)  But thanks for asking. 

J

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1122 on: July 30, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
No apology necessary!  On the contrary, the in-depth response is much appreciated, as it’s now clear there’s more good stuff to come.  Hope that book you mentioned is chock full of the same stuff you’ve featured on your site.  BTW, the Big Buddy gum feature absolutely blew me away!  Did you actually obtain all those boxes and wrapper shown?  Had no idea it was even made in all those flavors.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #1123 on: July 30, 2020, 10:13:59 PM »
No apology necessary!  On the contrary, the in-depth response is much appreciated, as it’s now clear there’s more good stuff to come.  Hope that book you mentioned is chock full of the same stuff you’ve featured on your site.  BTW, the Big Buddy gum feature absolutely blew me away!  Did you actually obtain all those boxes and wrapper shown?  Had no idea it was even made in all those flavors.

Ah, thanks.  Yeah, the Bazooka Big Buddy was a decade of hunting in the making.  I do have all of the wrappers and boxes featured in the piece in my archives here.  And they come from all over the place. Some from European and Eastern European collectors, some from the personal files of the former owner of Philadelphia Chewing Gum.  And other pieces from random spots.  Oddly, none from Topps Vault. 

Suffice it to say, those are every Big Buddy piece I've encountered in all of those years, and I managed to get them all.  Like you, I was surprised a few times along the way, as the brand was almost entirely undocumented when I started.  It was a fun fun journey.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1124 on: July 31, 2020, 07:34:21 AM »
I just got my July Week 2 shipping notice.  I believe that was my last huge order.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1125 on: July 31, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »
Hmmmmm. Those knuckles look like they have an N-E-I on them. Wonder what letter’s on the 4th knuckle? ;D

Me too ;)!  I'm seriously considering getting a tattoo with Tattootsie Roll on it!  But maybe I should change the "mom' to "moth" as a homage to Bart's tattoo? Something to think about...

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #1126 on: July 31, 2020, 05:31:31 PM »
Just want to say thanks to everyone involved with these sets.  They are way above an beyond ANS imho.  Keep up the good work.  Really enjoying them!  :great:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1127 on: August 03, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Got my July Week 2 sets today.  Even distribution of Wonkys and Guest Artists.  Coupons were all with Wonkys, ludlows with the artist cards.  Collation not too shabby.

« Reply #1128 on: August 03, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »
Got my July Week 2 sets today.  Even distribution of Wonkys and Guest Artists.  Coupons were all with Wonkys, ludlows with the artist cards.  Collation not too shabby.

I agree collation was ok, but got two Vlasick ludlows and no Death Ludlow. Coupons, artist cards and Wonkys were fine.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1129 on: August 03, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »
July week 2 arrived, and first time I did not get an even distribution of wonky and GAs. Got one less Wonky, and one over on the GA.
Which of course affected how many coupons and luds I got.

Offline Tie Boot Tea

« Reply #1130 on: August 04, 2020, 07:42:18 AM »
It's quite clear now that the two rare Wonkys (Crumbs and Clumsy) are really rare.  Does anyone have a good estimate as to how many were produced in the set?  Are these two cards now two of the rarest Wackies?

• Administrator
« Reply #1131 on: August 04, 2020, 09:31:22 AM »

• Administrator
« Reply #1132 on: August 04, 2020, 09:55:03 AM »
It's quite clear now that the two rare Wonkys (Crumbs and Clumsy) are really rare.  Does anyone have a good estimate as to how many were produced in the set?  Are these two cards now two of the rarest Wackies?
Most reports were that they showed up in 1 out of 10 packs. (Was that ratio for me)

Looking at the print runs (745, 739), that indicates about 74 for each.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1133 on: August 04, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »
Most reports were that they showed up in 1 out of 10 packs. (Was that ratio for me)

Looking at the print runs (745, 739), that indicates about 74 for each.

Week 2 I got just 3 Wonkys out of 40 packs.......
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:28:03 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1134 on: August 04, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »
August Week 1 sneak peek

https://i.postimg.cc/gJffz9dC/01496138-4-F80-4-EB2-BFF9-80932-DFE4175.jpg

Nice! How do you locate the large images for these? The one on Facebook isn't as nice as the one you post here.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1135 on: August 04, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »
Nice! How do you locate the large images for these? The one on Facebook isn't as nice as the one you post here.

I can't answer for Patrick as to his source but on Tuesdays a good quality image is posted on the "Wacky Packages and More" Facebook page by David Tanny.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:41:03 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

• Administrator
« Reply #1136 on: August 04, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »
that's actually just a copy of what's on the Topps' Wacky Packages Facebook page, so I'm not sure of the difference you're seeing
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:22:00 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1137 on: August 04, 2020, 03:36:40 PM »
that's actually just a copy of what's on the Topps' Wacky Packages Facebook page, so I'm not sure of the difference you're seeing

That's strange. When I download that same image from Topps Facebook page, the file size is small and around 88k. The one you post is larger and well over 200k. So I'm not sure how you access the better image. Facebook compresses images and videos people post too.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1138 on: August 04, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »

That's a pretty cool facebook page! Looks updated regularly as well. How many forum members here are on there?

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #1139 on: August 04, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »
Week 2 I got just 3 Wonkys out of 40 packs.......

The past few weeks (six ish) have changed the odds considerably for me. 1 Wonky out of 3 and the other two are the artists cards (from the week those were inserted).

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1140 on: August 04, 2020, 04:56:06 PM »
The past few weeks (six ish) have changed the odds considerably for me. 1 Wonky out of 3 and the other two are the artists cards (from the week those were inserted).

Topps changed everything in June and July, so what you received the last few weeks was correct.  However, they completely screwed up June Week 1, so those WP1 and GA1 stickers are likely scarcer.  But in May, for both Weeks 2 and 3 I got only 3 Wonkys out of 40 packs.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1141 on: August 04, 2020, 06:01:36 PM »
great preview image, looks like the work of our very own Neil, if I'm not mistaken?

I can't stop cracking up with the arm holding out a fiddle for the woman, awesome!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1142 on: August 05, 2020, 04:44:53 AM »
why do I keep saying "fiddle," I'm sure it's a violin, as if "play me violin music in the background, while I kvetch, etc."

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #1143 on: August 05, 2020, 08:20:52 AM »
Wacky Packages August week 1 is live. Looks like no Wonky. Replaced with wacky initials.

• Administrator
« Reply #1145 on: August 05, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »
Guest Artist is Pat Chaimuang

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1146 on: August 05, 2020, 10:06:40 AM »
Wacky Packages August week 1 is live. Looks like no Wonky. Replaced with wacky initials.

So these Wacky Initials are going to be 2 to a card, making them half the size of the ones in July Week 5?

• Administrator
« Reply #1147 on: August 05, 2020, 10:15:38 AM »
So these Wacky Initials are going to be 2 to a card, making them half the size of the ones in July Week 5?
Yes...
But at least they’ll total 9 cards and fit on a single page 😁

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1148 on: August 05, 2020, 10:29:38 AM »
Yes...
But at least they’ll total 9 cards and fit on a single page 😁

And then there will be a checklist to mess up the next page.  And I just don't understand why they can't get the orientations to be consistent.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #1149 on: August 05, 2020, 02:34:23 PM »
Just want to say thanks to everyone involved with these sets.  They are way above an beyond ANS imho.  Keep up the good work.  Really enjoying them!  :great:

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #1150 on: August 05, 2020, 02:34:53 PM »
Here's my new card for the week: Players Peanuts

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #1151 on: August 05, 2020, 03:27:37 PM »

Great looking card! Hey David! Think you could convince Topps to make a binder for each of the monthly sets?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #1152 on: August 05, 2020, 04:49:35 PM »
So the Wonky's are done. That means the set with the First 4 from the Comics totals 17 cards.   

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #1153 on: August 05, 2020, 05:34:58 PM »

Excellent sticker!  Love it!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1154 on: August 05, 2020, 07:20:15 PM »
So the Wonky's are done. That means the set with the First 4 from the Comics totals 17 cards.

Definitely not done. Keep those binder pages open.