Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 238450 times)

Offline zerostreet

• The Art of Robert Jimenez
Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #280 on: May 28, 2020, 04:07:18 PM »
Got my set today. Received the Crunch Boogies Ludlow and Thick Tac coupon.
The Art of Robert Jimenez
www.zerostreet.com

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #281 on: May 28, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
I just got my tracking # at 3:20am today and you received your set already?!   :sad:

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #282 on: May 28, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »
Finally got a shipping notice.  Due by the end of the day Thursday, June 4th.  I have to order 4 weeks of sets without any idea about insert distribution...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2020, 02:15:06 AM »
Finally got a shipping notice.  Due by the end of the day Thursday, June 4th.  I have to order 4 weeks of sets without any idea about insert distribution...

Hopefully enough of us here will get our deliveries before the Wednesday deadline to give everyone an idea on insert distribution.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2020, 03:29:10 AM »
My two sets are scheduled to arrive Monday. I ordered them separately and they shipped that way. Hoping that will increase my chances of scoring a Wonky.

Offline drono

« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2020, 03:58:54 AM »
I ordered mine within the 1st hour of the sale, and it's due to arrive Monday by 8PM.  I would guess that they are all printed and packaged at the same time, so I wouldn't think mine would arrive any earlier than anyone else.  Maybe Topps is really trying to push their expedited delivery methods rather than the free shipping. 

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2020, 04:44:02 AM »
Finally received my notification.  Topps is totally overwhelmed with Project 2020 orders.  In the last few weeks, print runs have increased from 10,000 per card to 25,000 per card to 50,000 per card. The Griffey just sold out with a print run on 99,000 cards.   I think this is the reason for the delays.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: May 29, 2020, 05:24:24 AM »
Finally received my notification.  Topps is totally overwhelmed with Project 2020 orders.  In the last few weeks, print runs have increased from 10,000 per card to 25,000 per card to 50,000 per card. The Griffey just sold out with a print run on 99,000 cards.   I think this is the reason for the delays.

Wow!  I just looked those up, and at $19.99 a card that's a lot of money!  No wonder there are delays in Wackys.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: May 29, 2020, 05:39:11 AM »
And it's Thursday afternoon...….  Maybe next Wednesday?
It took a day before a shipping estimate besides ‘pending’ was finally provided by fedex, and now shows Sunday delivery.
Fedex started doing Sunday home deliveries, so it’s possible. Pretty quick for the free shipping option.

Offline drono

« Reply #289 on: May 29, 2020, 05:40:44 AM »
The Griffey just sold out with a print run on 99,000 cards.   

Anyone on the forum want to buy a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card, a 1989 UD Baseball factory set, or an unopened box of 1989 UD Baseball low number?  I'm clearing out all of those things that I no longer want, and it appears that now is the time to strike for 1989 UD.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #290 on: May 29, 2020, 05:48:03 AM »
Anyone on the forum want to buy a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card, a 1989 UD Baseball factory set, or an unopened box of 1989 UD Baseball low number?  I'm clearing out all of those things that I no longer want, and it appears that now is the time to strike for 1989 UD.

Are 80s baseball cards finally hot again? It's only been 30 years...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2020, 06:09:26 AM »
It took a day before a shipping estimate besides ‘pending’ was finally provided by fedex, and now shows Sunday delivery.
Fedex started doing Sunday home deliveries, so it’s possible. Pretty quick for the free shipping option.

I didn't know Fedex was delivering on Sundays.  I remember hating to see them as the shipper because they didn't even deliver on Saturdays.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #292 on: May 29, 2020, 06:59:02 AM »
Seeing some in-hand Week 1 base sets on eBay from seller Wildathrill (anyone here?) $15 asking price before shipping and he's got 9 sets, so hopefully base sets stick to that type of pricing. I'm worried base sets will flood eBay and eventually be sold for $8 shipped. That would absolutely kill Topps sales of these because people will just wait and get them on the cheap. The seller is holding out on listing his Wonkys. Probably waiting to see what other sellers are asking first.

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: May 29, 2020, 07:09:51 AM »
It’s certainly the new beanie baby craze. It sounds like many of the early cards in the run were being flipped for good money, so now everyone is overbuying. The current cards will be worthless, and topps will come out the winner if they keep selling 100k a day

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: May 29, 2020, 10:08:35 AM »
I just got my order of 10 Week 1 packs.  Bad news for people who want Wonky Packages - out of this lot of 10 packs (20 insert cards), I ended up with just 1 Wonky, and then 9 luds and 10 coupons.  I did at least end up with one each of the luds and coupons.  None of my packs had two luds or two coupons.  One pack had both the lud and coupon back for Crunch Boogies.  Anyway, it looks like the Wonkys might be tough. 

This lot of 10 was ordered on the first day of sales.  I ordered some more packs on the last day of the sales window, but haven't even gotten a shipping notice for those.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what other people here receive.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #295 on: May 29, 2020, 10:29:15 AM »
I just got my order of 10 Week 1 packs.  Bad news for people who want Wonky Packages - out of this lot of 10 packs (20 insert cards), I ended up with just 1 Wonky, and then 9 luds and 10 coupons.  I did at least end up with one each of the luds and coupons.  None of my packs had two luds or two coupons.  One pack had both the lud and coupon back for Crunch Boogies.  Anyway, it looks like the Wonkys might be tough. 

This lot of 10 was ordered on the first day of sales.  I ordered some more packs on the last day of the sales window, but haven't even gotten a shipping notice for those.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what other people here receive.

Wow! Only one out of 10 packs? I guess Henry from eBay is dreaded taking on all those pre-orders and will send out cancellations. LOL!!

Offline drono

« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »
Are 80s baseball cards finally hot again? It's only been 30 years...

No, just Ken Griffey Jr. and his upper deck rookie from 1989. The rest are worth less than I paid for them.

I also have Maxx NASCAR toolbox sets that I bought for about $20 in 1989 and were selling at over $350 at their peak. Now I'd be happy to get back the $20.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:19:25 AM by drono »

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2020, 11:13:53 AM »
Wow! Only one out of 10 packs? I guess Henry from eBay is dreaded taking on all those pre-orders and will send out cancellations. LOL!!
I notice that Henry-r65's last Clumsy sold immediately after Pat made her post.
He pre-sold 3 of each for the first three weeks.  If 1:10 remains the consistent odds, that'll be tough to fulfill.

Offline drono

« Reply #298 on: May 29, 2020, 11:22:14 AM »
If 1:10 remains the consistent odds, that'll be tough to fulfill.

I'm glad I only bought one set now. I can live without the Wonky.

• Administrator
« Reply #299 on: May 29, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »
out of this lot of 10 packs (20 insert cards), I ended up with just 1 Wonky,
I'm still hoping that it's 1:11 bonus for the Wonkys, or 1:5½ packs, and you just got the short straw this set. And with good odds you'll get 2 in the next set of 10.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #300 on: May 29, 2020, 02:59:51 PM »
Pat,

Can you post pics of the card backs and the Wonky front and back?

Andrew

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #301 on: May 29, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
This is going to be a painful wait. Won’t be able to get my cards until the Canada/US border re-opens.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #302 on: May 29, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »
This is going to be a painful wait. Won’t be able to get my cards until the Canada/US border re-opens.

When is the border expected to re-open? I might take a drive to Ottawa from NJ. Lovely ride!

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #303 on: May 29, 2020, 04:48:45 PM »
I’m thinking at least another month until things in the US settle down a bit. I’m in Vancouver, so I’m close to the border. I get stuff sent to my US mailbox. Great way to save on rediculous shipping costs to Canada.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #304 on: May 29, 2020, 06:11:00 PM »
I agree - They have been HORRIBLE on the paid versus ship date / time frame....
#TypicalTopps

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #305 on: May 30, 2020, 08:20:51 AM »
Out of MORBID CURIOSITY I tracked Week #1 -..........

Tracking number 9200190204608931172402
Expected delivery
May 30, 08:00PM

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #306 on: May 30, 2020, 09:25:48 AM »
Got my set yesterday (5/29). Included Slay's Ludlow and Magic Meatball coupon.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #307 on: May 30, 2020, 12:07:14 PM »
Received my set today, Saturday, May 30.  Box included a 5 base card set, "Slay's" coupon back (who cares?,) and "Thick Tac" red ludlow (again, who cares?).  No Wonky.

Although I appreciate brand new Wackys being released once again - the funny gags, the fine artwork, etc. - especially after such a prolonged dry spell that had me seriously considering whether Wackys were dead - I REALLY WISH Topps would have simply released a FULL SET all in one fell swoop.  Instead, however, we are once again subjected to a barrage of clever marketing ploys in which, unless you spend truckloads of money, you will NEVER complete a full set.  (Think about this statement.)  Way back, when the ANS began, at least you had a definite chance of completing a full set.  WHICH IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL FOR MOST COLLECTORS.  You may not have been able to collect all of the borders - red, blue, pink, gold, etc. - but at least you  had a full set of titles. 

With this Weekly Series, however, MOST people will NEVER get a chance to collect all of the titles.  This, sadly, puts a sour taste in my mouth.  Instead of being happy - and more importantly satisfied - I feel like a loser who will take whatever I can get and then live with the fact that I'll never complete this series.  How does this make any business sense?  What company would want their customers to feel this way?  Once again, Topps screws us over with their "cleverness."  And I am sure I am not alone in feeling this way. 

To me, Wonkys are an integral part of this series.  They are as much a Wacky as the regular Wackys.  They are DISTINCT TITLES.  Card backs - like borders - are a different story.  They have the same front titles as are in the master set.  The back of the cards don't matter as much.  It is the front of the cards - the titles - that really count.  Yet, most of us here will never get to hold all of the titles.  Thus, even though we win by getting new wackys, we lose at the same time because we will never complete our collections.  What kind of way of doing business is this?  Winning and losing at the same time?   To be honest, I can't believe that Topps did this.  Why not offer EVERYONE a DEFINITE chance?  Even if I were to spend 150 bucks a week, there is still a chance I will not procure a Wonky.

So now, as it stands, every week I get to spend $15.99 on a new collection that is doomed to always being partial. WTF?  I wish I knew who came up with this latest ploy so I could take a club to their head.

Okay.  Enough raving.

Offline drono

« Reply #308 on: May 30, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
I agree.  Seeing that the coupon backs are tied to the base stickers, then they would be nice to have.  So it adds nothing to the set to have puzzle backs or ludlow backs.  You're probably right, it's just another ploy to sell more stickers.  From a collector's point of view, it would have made much more sense to only have six stickers per set. 

The only plus of the way it was done will be watching the feeding frenzy on eBay and seeing the variations in pricing.  How high will the Wonkys and other backs start, and will those prices be sustainable or will they drop as interest wanes?  The big shame is the plethora of base sets that will be proverbially separated like the chaff from the wheat and burned with the unquenchable fire.

I got my one set in the mail today and got a Crunch Boogies coupon back and a thick tac ludlow.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:16:16 PM by drono »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #309 on: May 30, 2020, 01:11:29 PM »
So what price do we think Wonky's will sell at?   $50 is my guess.

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: May 30, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »
While I understand, I can't say I agree with this - the Bonus Cards have always required buying well above and beyond the base set in order to acquire them, going all the way back to ANS1.
How many folks actually bought the B2 Coach Motel from a Target when they were released? later sets had foils, magnets, etc. that took multiple full boxes to complete.  And then you had the Lost Wacky's in a couple of the later ANS set Collector Boxes. No easy feat to collect without spending a lot of money
If these new sets take 5 or so packs to pull a bonus card, seems no different

Offline drono

« Reply #311 on: May 30, 2020, 01:29:09 PM »
While I understand, I can't say I agree with this - the Bonus Cards have always required buying well above and beyond the base set in order to acquire them, going all the way back to ANS1.

I did buy the blaster boxes from Wal-Mart, Target, and Toys 'R Us to get the various bonus cards.  I always bought two: one to keep unopened and one to open for the bonus card.  Now, I would probably not bother or just buy one box to keep and one bonus sticker on eBay.

I guess what would've made a lot more sense for those who have bought heavily in this set would've been for Topps to publish the odds of getting the coupons, ludlows, and Wonkys.  Only now that the 4th set is for sale are we starting to discover that ratio.  I think it will leave a lot of collectors not getting the Wonky due to underproduction and high costs.  When that happens, I think collectors might decide, "if I can't get them all, then I'm not going to bother trying."  I know that's become my attitude. 

I do hope these keep going, but I'm just going to continue to buy my one set and then watch the fun of the resellers.  I wonder if a lot of them get burned and can't recoup what they've paid if they'll keep buying.

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: May 30, 2020, 01:43:48 PM »
I guess what would've made a lot more sense ... would've been for Topps to publish the odds of getting the coupons, ludlows, and Wonkys.
Agree, that’s the REAL problem, that topps still has not published any odds for the inserts. If folks knew it was 1:5 or 1:10, or whatever, there may still be grumbling, but at least everyone would know what they’d need to buy in order to get one, or how expensive it would likely be on the after market.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #313 on: May 30, 2020, 01:54:31 PM »
I don't feel Wonkys are new titles. They are reworked classic wackies. So I could see myself being ok with just buying one pack with the basic five new titles per week and hoping for a Wonky. So after 50 weeks maybe you end up with 5 or 10 Wonkys. Maybe you trade for the Wonky's that appeal to you.  So far of the four we have seen, I like Baby Rant but the other three are meh IMO.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:57:45 PM by DrDeal »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #314 on: May 30, 2020, 02:25:17 PM »
I look at the Wonkys the same way I look at those bootleg Wacky Variations sets on ebay with the classic pin-up girls replacing the goofy characters. (would you believe there are nine sets of those already?!) They are reworkings on existing parodies, not brand new parodies. So because I don't look at them as brand new titles, I won't lose sleep if I don't have them in my collection. I have the 4 from the comic books a few years back, and I'll be thrilled to get one inside one of the weekly sets I buy. I have a random sampling of what they are in my binder. So to me, It's kind of like buying lottery tickets every week, hoping to win big....in this case, a Wonky. Getting back to those Wacky Variations with pin-up girls....why isn't Topps lawyers on their ass, let alone the estates of illustrators like Gil Elvgren?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 02:28:05 PM by Swiski »

anything