Author Topic: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series  (Read 242190 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Wacky Packages All New Weekly Series
« Reply #1470 on: October 20, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »
Since receiving the last two mailings from Topps on the same day, I haven't heard anything from Topps is quite a while.  Nothing at all last week.

Same here.

Offline toddbarrett

« Reply #1471 on: October 20, 2020, 03:08:26 PM »
Anyone have luck with Topps in getting replacements (or even a response) for the August week #3 "Sticky" series? I saw a few people had the same trouble as I did with those cards, a sticky residue on the front. I contacted Topps back on September 29th, but haven't heard anything back.

Todd B.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1472 on: October 20, 2020, 04:10:16 PM »
Anyone have luck with Topps in getting replacements (or even a response) for the August week #3 "Sticky" series? I saw a few people had the same trouble as I did with those cards, a sticky residue on the front. I contacted Topps back on September 29th, but haven't heard anything back.

Todd B.

I didn't even bother contacting them because I was pretty sure they weren't going to do anything.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1473 on: October 20, 2020, 04:27:52 PM »

The Most Important meal of the Day!

Richard
#StayWacky
I didn't even know the Monster Cereals came in Family Sizes! My store only has regular sizes every year and this year I could only get Franken Berry (Count Chocula and Boo Berry sold out quick before I could get them). Where did you get the Family Size boxes, Richard?

I'm still mad at General Mills for not keeping Frute Brute and Fruity Yummy Mummy on the market, even after all that trouble they went through to bring them back in 2013 (has it really been that long?).

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #1474 on: October 20, 2020, 04:59:10 PM »
I didn't even know the Monster Cereals came in Family Sizes! My store only has regular sizes every year and this year I could only get Franken Berry (Count Chocula and Boo Berry sold out quick before I could get them). Where did you get the Family Size boxes, Richard?

I'm still mad at General Mills for not keeping Frute Brute and Fruity Yummy Mummy on the market, even after all that trouble they went through to bring them back in 2013 (has it really been that long?).

Don't forget about Quisp. I believe that is still lurking on shelves.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #1475 on: October 20, 2020, 06:43:40 PM »
there was some discussion on this over in a BUY thread
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=5917.msg108668#msg108668

Thanks for the link, F&S!  I've been buying the sets every week, but not connected in with the discussion.  I'm really enjoying the sets (other than, because I buy just one set per week, getting only the wonky or GA) and particularly digging the Halloween themed wackys this month.  One of these days, I'll list my extra coupons and luds in hopes of picking up any of the wonkys or GAs I need.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1477 on: October 21, 2020, 11:24:21 AM »
numbering is corrected for the cards - showing 11-15

Guest Artist:  Jasmine Contois

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1478 on: October 21, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »
Here' my wacky for week 3! Concept courtesy of Pete Zies.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #1479 on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:01 PM »
Here' my wacky for week 3! Concept courtesy of Pete Zies.

Love the Halloween theme that’s been running all month. Cards keep getting better!

• Administrator
« Reply #1480 on: October 22, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »
October Week 2 - 754 sets.

continuing to inch back upwards, maybe from folks chasing after the coupon backs?

Offline drono

« Reply #1481 on: October 24, 2020, 05:20:59 AM »
October Week 2 - 754 sets.

continuing to inch back upwards, maybe from folks chasing after the coupon backs?

I bought double the packs in October week 2 hoping to get both a Wonky and a Guest Artist.  However, at the rate Topps is sending them out, I probably won't know how my luck turns out until sometime around Thanksgiving.  So I didn't continue that trend this week.  It's still cheaper to buy one and pick up the other on eBay.  I guess I'll give up on the coupons.  They're getting harder to find, and the prices in the secondary market are going up.  It's just not worth spending an extra $480 a month and still not knowing if I would get them all.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:57:04 AM by drono »

• Administrator
« Reply #1482 on: October 24, 2020, 06:44:01 AM »
They really should completely ditch the ludlow, and only have coupons.

Keep it the same with including two bonus cards, but have it be a Coupon + GA or Wonky
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 10:08:24 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline drono

« Reply #1483 on: October 24, 2020, 07:14:17 AM »
They really should completely ditch the ludlow, and only have coupons.

I completely agree.  I've crunched these numbers before, but here they are again.  With the last print run of 750, I would venture a guess that there were 60 purchases of 10 sets for 600 of those and 150 of less quantity. 

If Topps would just change it to a buy what you want for $10 per base set, $10 for the Wonky, $10 for the Guest Artist, and $50 for the coupon set, they would only need to sell 210 of each to meet the same number as above.  Instead of profiting only $10,350 and having to print 5,250 cards, they would make $16,800 and only have to print 2,520 cards.  And everyone would be happy that they could be guaranteed to get them all for just $80/week instead of $135 and not knowing.

Think about it Topps, please from a loyal Wacky Packages Enthusiast since 1973.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 07:16:44 AM by drono »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #1484 on: October 24, 2020, 02:08:04 PM »
I completely agree.  I've crunched these numbers before, but here they are again.  With the last print run of 750, I would venture a guess that there were 60 purchases of 10 sets for 600 of those and 150 of less quantity. 

If Topps would just change it to a buy what you want for $10 per base set, $10 for the Wonky, $10 for the Guest Artist, and $50 for the coupon set, they would only need to sell 210 of each to meet the same number as above.  Instead of profiting only $10,350 and having to print 5,250 cards, they would make $16,800 and only have to print 2,520 cards.  And everyone would be happy that they could be guaranteed to get them all for just $80/week instead of $135 and not knowing.

They are changing things up starting next year but I don;t have any specifics. I'll hand this over to them for you.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1485 on: October 24, 2020, 10:42:33 PM »

I would be against this.  It would cheapen the cards.  If you didn't have to work for it why should you pay higher amounts for a card that could be ordered.  Might as well make it a base set and charge 20 bucks.  I would not participate in that though.  I like the thrill of the hunt,  I also enjoy calling friends to help complete the collection.  If Topps did the other way then the value would only be set high near the end when the print run drops.  At least now certain cards have harder to find status which helps support their value for later on.  I also know that some of us are purist, and say its not about the money.  Well to that I say the Ludlow backs and coupon backs have the same front as the base cards.  you are collecting a made up back for perceived value.

just my 2 cents.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1486 on: October 25, 2020, 03:46:30 AM »
Joe, You make a really valid point: The thrill of the hunt is a very important part of why we collect. While I definitely appreciate the reasoning behind Dr Ono's (and other's) desire to get every card, we definitely need to consider the chase factor. As a matter of fact, I think some of us are still chasing stickers from 1973! Rest assured, Topps is taking all your comments into account to continue to improve the program.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 04:05:07 AM by koduck »

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1487 on: October 25, 2020, 04:03:32 AM »
A postscript to my previous message: Dennis, I've sent a bunch of extras to a couple of forum members who should be able to help you out with some of the cards you need. They should be posting a list in the trading thread soon.

Offline drono

« Reply #1488 on: October 25, 2020, 05:21:31 AM »
I would be against this.  It would cheapen the cards.  If you didn't have to work for it why should you pay higher amounts for a card that could be ordered.  Might as well make it a base set and charge 20 bucks.  I would not participate in that though.  I like the thrill of the hunt,  I also enjoy calling friends to help complete the collection.  If Topps did the other way then the value would only be set high near the end when the print run drops.  At least now certain cards have harder to find status which helps support their value for later on.  I also know that some of us are purist, and say its not about the money.  Well to that I say the Ludlow backs and coupon backs have the same front as the base cards.  you are collecting a made up back for perceived value.

I can see your viewpoint, but it's completely different than mine.  If I remember correctly, you're one of the collectors who likes PSAs and is constantly upgrading.  That's great for you, but I don't have that kind of disposable income.  I'm one that is not that concerned with condition as long as the front looks good and the border is intact.  I just finished my 1st tan set with a Paul Maul that has dinged corners and graying.  It would probably grade as a 3 or 4, but it only cost me $35, and I'm happy. 

I've never been in it for the money, so I just want one of each, except I do agree with you on the ludlows being completely useless.  I like the coupons in the weekly series because they are like my favorite set, Wacky Ads.  For me, they could get rid of the puzzle backs and just print the 5 coupon backs along with the Wonky and the Guest Artist, and I'd be happy.  However, I'm not going to spend $550/month to buy 10 sets with the hope of getting one of each and then having 45 base stickers that I don't want.  I'd rather have saved my money for four months and bid on the recent eBay auction with 19 1st Series red ludlows that topped $2K. 

I'm an old school collector and never cared about the chasers. In my opinion, that is what has cheapened the other cards.  For example intentionally short printed Wonkys from the May 2020 weekly set have sold on eBay for as much as 1st Series Bandache whites. 

I do like the thrill of the hunt; I think that's why we all collect.  However, when I can't buy more because there's a 3-4 week turnaround between when I purchase and when I get them, it makes no sense to me to spend a lot of my money buying a pig in a poke.  In the good old days, we'd buy 20 packs with our $1 allowance this week and then go back the next week and get 20 more to complete our set.  However I think if I'd gotten the same 5 cards at a rate of 10x the others because there were chasers, I wouldn't be a Wacky Packages collector today. 

My argument against your theory of collectors not participating in a buy what you want is the print on demand single cards that many of us bought at $5 each.   As long as you kept buying, you could get them all.  Topps loves that concept, just look at their web site and you'll see more of those than anything else.

Sorry for being so longwinded.  It just upsets me when as a collector, I can't get a full set without spending way too much, when it's not necessary.  I don't think I'm the only one on the forum that feels that way either.  I've seen many more others complain about buying 10 sets and not getting all of the stickers.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #1489 on: October 25, 2020, 07:52:30 AM »

just my 2 cents.

Not just the cards but the overall hobby would be cheapened. Isn't the fun of Wacky's (at least since it evolved from just base cards) or at least some of the fun the thrill of the hunt?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:54:35 AM by FourRoses »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1490 on: October 25, 2020, 08:05:04 AM »
I believe many of the points Dr. Ono brought up here are valid.

I, too, was never into collecting Wackys for the money.  So long as a I had a complete set that I could admire and enjoy, I was more than happy and content.  To me, it doesn't matter what a set will be worth in the future.  Why not?  Because I am never going to sell my sets.  And if I am never going to sell them, it really doesn't matter how much they are worth.  I acquired my sets not as a small time investment, but to enjoy them whenever I wanted - now or twenty-five years from now.  Who cares how much they are worth?  This has nothing to do with enjoying the humor and artwork which is at the core of Wackys.

Like so many others, I don't have the disposable income to spend $120 every week (or $1000s over the months) in the hope of acquiring complete sets.  (And even if I did have the money, there is still no guarantee that I would complete anything - save for acquiring nine extra base sets.)  Being that I don't have that kind of income, I have 1) nothing to trade or 2) the money to chase down cards through dealers. Thus, I will never have complete weekly sets.  (The thrill of the hunt?  Forget it.  Save it for the fortunate few.  It's simply beyond my financial reach.)  At the moment, my binder has so many "holes" in it that it's worse than Swiss cheese.  And, overall, this is a disappointment - which never had to be had Topps done things differently from the beginning.

Every year when I purchase an Old School set, at least I know I am getting a complete set.  Why does Topps have to vary from this model?  They do things one way with one set, and then do things differently with another set.  This makes no sense.

With Dr. Ono's model, at least everyone has a chance of completing sets - not just those fortunate few who are better suited financially.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #1491 on: October 25, 2020, 08:49:32 AM »
I guess I will jump into the Wacky Ruckus:

KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid

1. Base Set
2. ONE Back Variations - Toooooo many with Red Ludlow, Black Ludlow, Green Ludlow, Blue, Gold, Yellow, Red, Silver, etc.
3. REALLLLLLLY Kool Chase Items
   - Patches
   - Wood Cards
   - SKETCHES ROCK!
   - Medallions

I am a completist, to a point.  I agree with Dennis there is a point where the juice is not worth the squeeze, financially.

I also believe if there are Artist Bio Cards in a release, let us say 6 Artist Bio Cards, and I order 6 SETS from Topps, I should be guaranteed a COMPLETE Set, guaranteed to get all 6 Bio Cards for example.

Kick starter is a GREAT way to ensure the financial backing is there and guarantees Topps makes their money and the consumer gets what they want.

I am always concerned with a release, like the current Minis, that the distribution and execution of that is poor, which the minis are, and Topps will turn off the consumer, who MAY NOT return the next time their is a new release out of fear of continued poor execution and little hope of collection a "set", without a new mortgage payment.

I have attached below some of my favorite "Chase" Items:

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1492 on: October 25, 2020, 08:56:40 AM »
My argument against your theory of collectors not participating in a buy what you want is the print on demand single cards that many of us bought at $5 each.   As long as you kept buying, you could get them all.  Topps loves that concept, just look at their web site and you'll see more of those than anything else.

Although I haven’t been buying the weekly releases from Topps directly, I do check their website to see what the latest releases look like, and I’m appalled at what they’re doing with baseball cards, to name just one example.  Take a relatively common inexpensive card from the 80’s or 90’s, have someone draw a cartoon version of the photo in that card and sell it for $20 as a piece of art or something?  Oh, and you have 24 hours to pull the trigger; not trying to pressure you into a FOMO purchase though, we’re just real busy here at Topps.  I may not have all the details right, but i’m too disgusted to look further into it.  And although one’s available disposable income is of course a major factor, what bothers me more is the exploitative nature of it.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #1493 on: October 25, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »
People are OBSESSED with sports so I can't blame Topps for tapping into a guaranteed market.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1494 on: October 25, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »
I can see your viewpoint, but it's completely different than mine.  If I remember correctly, you're one of the collectors who likes PSAs and is constantly upgrading.  That's great for you, but I don't have that kind of disposable income.  I'm one that is not that concerned with condition as long as the front looks good and the border is intact.  I just finished my 1st tan set with a Paul Maul that has dinged corners and graying.  It would probably grade as a 3 or 4, but it only cost me $35, and I'm happy. 

I've never been in it for the money, so I just want one of each, except I do agree with you on the ludlows being completely useless.  I like the coupons in the weekly series because they are like my favorite set, Wacky Ads.  For me, they could get rid of the puzzle backs and just print the 5 coupon backs along with the Wonky and the Guest Artist, and I'd be happy.  However, I'm not going to spend $550/month to buy 10 sets with the hope of getting one of each and then having 45 base stickers that I don't want.  I'd rather have saved my money for four months and bid on the recent eBay auction with 19 1st Series red ludlows that topped $2K. 

I'm an old school collector and never cared about the chasers. In my opinion, that is what has cheapened the other cards.  For example intentionally short printed Wonkys from the May 2020 weekly set have sold on eBay for as much as 1st Series Bandache whites. 

I do like the thrill of the hunt; I think that's why we all collect.  However, when I can't buy more because there's a 3-4 week turnaround between when I purchase and when I get them, it makes no sense to me to spend a lot of my money buying a pig in a poke.  In the good old days, we'd buy 20 packs with our $1 allowance this week and then go back the next week and get 20 more to complete our set.  However I think if I'd gotten the same 5 cards at a rate of 10x the others because there were chasers, I wouldn't be a Wacky Packages collector today. 

Sorry for being so longwinded.  It just upsets me when as a collector, I can't get a full set without spending way too much, when it's not necessary.  I don't think I'm the only one on the forum that feels that way either.  I've seen many more others complain about buying 10 sets and not getting all of the stickers.

I'm with you, sick of the Ludlows, but enjoy the coupons because they have different gags and remind me of the Wacky Ads.  But, I've now given up on the coupons.

Offline bwing

« Reply #1495 on: October 27, 2020, 02:39:12 PM »
So what is going on with Topps and satisfying orders???

The past 5 weekly sets are still "processing" as well as the Mars Attacks Wackys set and the Postcards.

What ever happened to sell what we have as opposed to continue to sell what we can't provide?  I know I keep buying but this is getting silly.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1496 on: October 27, 2020, 02:44:47 PM »
So what is going on with Topps and satisfying orders???
George Wright is now running the mailing operations.

(just kidding, George)

• Administrator
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:37:24 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Reply #1498 on: October 28, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »
October Week 3 sales:  756

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1499 on: October 28, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »
I guess I will jump into the Wacky Ruckus:

KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid

1. Base Set
2. ONE Back Variations - Toooooo many with Red Ludlow, Black Ludlow, Green Ludlow, Blue, Gold, Yellow, Red, Silver, etc.
3. REALLLLLLLY Kool Chase Items
   - Patches
   - Wood Cards
   - SKETCHES ROCK!
   - Medallions

I am a completist, to a point.  I agree with Dennis there is a point where the juice is not worth the squeeze, financially.

I also believe if there are Artist Bio Cards in a release, let us say 6 Artist Bio Cards, and I order 6 SETS from Topps, I should be guaranteed a COMPLETE Set, guaranteed to get all 6 Bio Cards for example.

Kick starter is a GREAT way to ensure the financial backing is there and guarantees Topps makes their money and the consumer gets what they want.

I am always concerned with a release, like the current Minis, that the distribution and execution of that is poor, which the minis are, and Topps will turn off the consumer, who MAY NOT return the next time their is a new release out of fear of continued poor execution and little hope of collection a "set", without a new mortgage payment.

I have attached below some of my favorite "Chase" Items:

Richard
#StayWacky

I also like the KISS format (and their first album).

- Base Set
- Nine Card Checklist Set w/ Puzzles on Back

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1501 on: October 29, 2020, 06:16:12 AM »
It has been 3 weeks since I received September Weeks 2 and 3, and still not even a shipping notice for Week 4, let alone Week 5.  Has anyone gotten shipping notices for September Weeks 4 and 5?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1502 on: October 29, 2020, 07:20:27 AM »
It has been 3 weeks since I received September Weeks 2 and 3, and still not even a shipping notice for Week 4, let alone Week 5.  Has anyone gotten shipping notices for September Weeks 4 and 5?

Nope, I thought for a while they were catching up and had turned the corner, but once again, fooled.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline quas

« Reply #1503 on: October 29, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »
Nope, I thought for a while they were catching up and had turned the corner, but once again, fooled.

Sending the last two issues during the same week must have completely tired them out and now everyone at Topps has taken a 3-week vacation or something...
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #1504 on: October 29, 2020, 12:48:47 PM »
They've probably been busy with the NBA finals and MLB playoffs.  Even though Wacky Packages once outsold baseball cards, they'll always take a back seat to sports cards at Topps.  I'm sure that's where they make 99.99% of their money.

anything