Author Topic: PSA 16th Series Sealed Pack Submission  (Read 3318 times)

Offline CherryBombs

PSA 16th Series Sealed Pack Submission
« on: April 21, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »
I have a very high grade 16th series sealed pack... the issue I have is the gum is moving inside but, it's unbroken. I have heard that if you microwave the pack you can get the gum to heat up just enough to get to adhere to the puzzle piece PSA will grade it. If anyone has tried it please let me know your results. Because there are ONLY 2 graded packs in the pop, I would really like to see if I can get it graded. My concern is that perhaps it doesn't work and I destroy a mint puzzle piece. I'd like to try some experiments as do have wrappers and checklists... I need some original gum in a solid piece to try different durations if not in solid form at least big enough for this experiment. Any help would be extremely appreciated...

TIA

Kirk
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline MoldRush

Re: PSA 16th Series Sealed Pack Submission
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
What is PSA’s rationale for needing the gum stuck in place?  That sounds insane to me.  First, a loose, moving piece of gum some 40+ years later only increases the possibility, though does not guarantee, that the adjacent card was never adhered to or otherwise damaged.  So they want you to MAKE the gum stick by exposing the pack to intense heat?  If not melting the wax coating outright, at the very least it will damage or alter the wrapper and/or stickers into something less certifiable than what it is now.  And making the gum stick, even if that were the only result, to me only increases the likelihood of damage to that first adjacent card. 

I’d take my chances and submit as is.  At least contact them and ask.  If they return and refuse to grade, they’re idiots.

And this is why people pay a premium for items graded by 3rd party grading services?

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 04:21:09 AM »
Wasn't there a thread on this forum about how PSA damaged some unopened packs in the slabbing process?

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 05:03:38 AM »
Kirk,
There are many examples of high grade packs with holes on the edges from the gum sliding around while the pack is in transit in its PSA slab.

IMO, the gum being lose won't affect the grading if you package it carefully when sending it to PSA.

Sticking it to the puzzle piece via microwave melting may only prevent it from poking a hole in the edge of the pack while in its slab. It may also stain or damage an otherwise mint checklist as you mentioned, so it could disappoint someone buying the pack to crack it open.

Have you heard something specific about loose gum somehow affecting the grade of a pack?

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 10:20:13 AM »
I do know that PSA will not grade packs with loose gum and I agree in their reasoning due to the fact that it may tear a hole in the pack during transit thus rendering the grade assigned invalid. If the gum in my opinion is broken into small tiny pieces I don't see that as being an issue as far as tearing into the wrapper and being slabbed for eternity. I could just keep the pack as it is tucked away but, a grader of my collections it would drive me crazy knowing that it may be the only PSA 9 in existence as for a Gem Mint 10 those are only reserved for PWCC, 4 Sharp Corners and Probstein etc etc... those submitting thousands of cards annualy ( wink wink ) . As I mentioned if anyone can help me out with some Gum it would really help out to try some experiments.

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »
I also have a 1967 Die Cut Pack GAI graded but, I'm afraid to ship it for crossover grading and slabbing fearing it may get unlodged and thus become ungradable or worse the wrapper punctured in transit... it's pathetic in my opinion that PSA has no way to ensure the safety of the item back to me unless they allow me to drop it off and pick it up in person
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:29:44 AM by CherryBombs »

Online bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 10:28:09 AM »
this whole thread explains why grading packs doesn't make any sense.  I get it, money maker for PSA but complete waste of time if you ask me.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 10:29:57 AM »
I might have a stick of gum from a Series 10 pack, but I'm not sure; will look.  Can you be sure that using gum from a different series/pack/product/year will react the same to being nuked, especially if it has been outside a pack wrapper for a while?

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
I might have a stick of gum from a Series 10 pack, but I'm not sure; will look.  Can you be sure that using gum from a different series/pack/product/year will react the same to being nuked, especially if it has been outside a pack wrapper for a while?

I wish I knew Pat how that would factor into the experiment ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:36:34 AM by CherryBombs »

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 10:35:52 AM »
this whole thread explains why grading packs doesn't make any sense.  I get it, money maker for PSA but complete waste of time if you ask me.

I like my stuff entombed for eternity Ernie... never to return to human hands LOL

Online bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
I like my stuff entombed for eternity Ernie... never to return to human hands LOL
Why not do it yourself, the hell with grading by a 3rd party who often doesn't have a a clue anyway!  your costs will go way down!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »

Bingo

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 04:42:27 PM »
I like PSA graded cards, but packs just are not well suited for encapsulation.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »
Particularly ironic since the nicest, freshest packs all have loose gum. Sending them to PSA is asking for the nicest packs out there to be ruined.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 05:28:02 PM »
Kirk,
There are many examples of high grade packs with holes on the edges from the gum sliding around while the pack is in transit in its PSA slab.

IMO, the gum being lose won't affect the grading if you package it carefully when sending it to PSA.
If the concern is the loose gum fragments poking holes in the wrapper, then why wouldn’t PSA encapsulate a graded pack with slight clamping pressure on the faces of the pack thereby preventing the gum from moving?  One could make a similar argument that a pack that can slide around in a holder could also be damaged in transit, however slightly.

You can’t encapsulate a coin, no matter how rare, minty and valuable it is, without the inside of the holder having some contact with the edges and/or face of the coin.  And a rare coin’s value can far exceed the rarest of wax packs, so it would seem a no-brained to me.  I’m picturing the thin supple plastic like that which was used in the 2-pack blister packs for ANS 2-5 I think?  Not sure, don’t have any graded packs.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 05:29:08 PM »
*no brainer

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 09:35:09 PM »
PSA doesn't even do the Grading at their place.  They ship it to BBCE to grade and authenticate it.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 09:44:40 PM »
That’s part of the problem. The pack is shipped four times during the authentication/grading process.

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »
I do know that PSA will not grade packs with loose gum and I agree in their reasoning due to the fact that it may tear a hole in the pack during transit thus rendering the grade assigned invalid. If the gum in my opinion is broken into small tiny pieces I don't see that as being an issue as far as tearing into the wrapper and being slabbed for eternity. I could just keep the pack as it is tucked away but, a grader of my collections it would drive me crazy knowing that it may be the only PSA 9 in existence as for a Gem Mint 10 those are only reserved for PWCC, 4 Sharp Corners and Probstein etc etc... those submitting thousands of cards annualy ( wink wink ) . As I mentioned if anyone can help me out with some Gum it would really help out to try some experiments.
I can send you some 79-80 reissue gum if you are still wanting to do this.

anything