Author Topic: Possible fate of Wackys in brick-and-mortar stores?  (Read 7336 times)

Offline mikecho

Possible fate of Wackys in brick-and-mortar stores?
« on: March 22, 2020, 10:10:23 AM »
I've been thinking about something lately.

Since Topps seems to be selling Wackys mostly online and/or as subsets in such things as GPK series and they haven't been seen in brick-and-mortar stores since 2018, I'm beginning to wonder if this is the new normal here from this point on as far as Topps is concerned. I'm also wondering how well the last three Wacky series sold in such stores (MLB Wacky Packages, Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary, and Wacky Packages Go to the Movies 2018) actually did saleswise and if this might've been a factor that led to this (possible?) fate. Also, is it possible that another factor might've been that all three of the aforementioned series were, at best, deviations from the norm because they contained mostly made up products?

I'm saying this because everyone here hoped that an all-new Wacky series was possibly coming in 2019 but, as we all know, nothing happened.

Thoughts, anyone?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:19:02 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

Re: Possible fate of Wackys in brick-and-mortar stores?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? Anyone at all?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 03:43:23 PM »
What we don’t really know is how the retail sales did from the start of ANS to where we are today, but my guess is that sales were becoming weaker through the last few releases which led to the online sales only model we have today.

If trading cards work the same way as comic books, retailers are stuck with whatever inventory they can’t sell.  If sales were weak, retailers like Target may have decided to no longer carry Wackys, effectively crushing the retail market.  Topps may have also produced more volume than retailers were able to move and replenish their supplies with before sales dried up.  To avoid this scenario, I also suspect the delays in shipping currently happening with the weekly sets are probably the result of Topps delaying production until the ordering deadlines pass, eliminating the risk of over-producing.

The other dynamic in play is that the majority of today’s kids don’t really collect or have hobbies.  They are addicted to their devices and social media.  Whatever sales the retail chains did accomplish were probably 90% the result of us freaks running around raiding the shelves.  Combine that with the greater interest and purchasing power of adult fans and you have the ingredients for the business model now in place.  The one thing I can’t figure out is how those same Targets still carry sports cards and these little bagged mini figures of various types that seem to be selling, because they haven’t gone away.

Anyway, you seem hungry for feedback, so that’s my theory.  Can’t say for certain that any or all of it is factually accurate.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
I would have expected to see combo packs of unsold product, like they did with the chrome wacky set, if the last few releases didn't sell well.
A

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
I really don't see any benefit of purchasing newly released trading cards from brick and mortar stores, comic stores and specialty sport card shops.   Personally, I have not gone to a brick and mortar looking for sports or non sport cards in years. I occasionally will attend a card show but I never purchase new releases at the brick and mortar level.   Just my opinion. 

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
I really don't see any benefit of purchasing newly released trading cards from brick and mortar stores, comic stores and specialty sport card shops.   Personally, I have not gone to a brick and mortar looking for sports or non sport cards in years. I occasionally will attend a card show but I never purchase new releases at the brick and mortar level.   Just my opinion.
I’m of a similar mindset for the most part.  Modern sports sets just don’t appeal to me.  Like comics you get a much glossier shinier product at exponentially higher prices, with far less substance.  Only star players with no roster depth, green-screening the background behind the player with flashy foil or explosion bursts, endless chase nonsense, and on and on.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 07:35:49 PM »
What is the fascination with Garbage Pail Kids that they still like hotcakes at retail? I mean...the artwork is great, but so is Wacky Packages artwork. They are both kindred products in the sense that both are parody cards.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 11:33:03 AM »
Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc.., sometimes have older gravity feeds. Walmart seems to have condensed its card section but Target is quite numerous and selling GPK at retail would make WP's as appropriate IMO.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »
All things being equal, I would think Wackys should always outsell GPKs because Wackys are always based on something current and somewhat familiar to today’s kids, whereas no matter what wicked new spin one puts on GPK new issues, they will always be based on dolls from the 80’s.  I don’t get it either.  I guess if you can get a kid hooked on how outrageous the GPK gags are, the ultimate source or origin of the concept itself doesn’t matter much anymore.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
I think most of us think Wackys would be bigger sellers than GPKs, but if I'm not mistaken,
there is a FAR bigger fan base out there for GPKs, and they've got us beat by a mile!

Not that we're too shabby.  And I believe one of the biggest sellers that Topps has is all
its Baseball sets, that is another huge market!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
I take it then that I can say that what I've described above is the new normal for Wackys, at least until further notice?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 04:07:28 PM »
GPK has Wackys beat in sales by a lot. The idea behind the dolls is from the 80s but at this point no kid even needs to know that story. They are current because they are simply kids getting into trouble. That's always in. They are also far more marketable than Wackys. Unlike Wackys they have specifically named characters that are iconic to their time period and all of them are "human" and have human names. People from the 70s may remember Wackys but the 80s kids have characters with their own names on them. Since they are all specific characters and all of them resemble each other you can license and market them much easier as well. Like, for instance, a Funko set. Adam Bomb lends himself to a ton of products. The more licensing recently the more in vogue they have become. GPK retail sales have gone up each of the last three sets. Wackys did not sell well enough in retail but if we can keep the online sales going for the weekly sets and support any of the licensing products (and support the additional WP sets coming out the rest of the year) then who knows? Maybe they will get another licensing shot. If so I say go full on ANS. No MLB or movies or celebrity issues. Good art and gags, fat borders and current good products.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 04:14:01 PM »
I, for one, have never found GPK appealing. It's gross, repulsive, and immature humor at best. I'm giving it rope by calling it humor. Supposedly kids with misshapen heads with boogers hanging from their noses is humor. I don't see it.

Not only is the art much more advanced and impressive altogether in Wacky Packages, but the gags and taglines seal the deal. GPK are not relatable whatsoever, and anyone saying "Bandache" isn't is lying. Everyone has had a bad experience ripping off a bandaid before. Cap'n Crud also makes sense. It's a funny gag with a funny character. It also helps that I've never enjoyed the cereal.

Offline drono

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 04:54:12 PM »
I, for one, have never found GPK appealing. It's gross, repulsive, and immature humor at best. I'm giving it rope by calling it humor. Supposedly kids with misshapen heads with boogers hanging from their noses is humor. I don't see it.

I've come to realize that what is funny to the masses these days is far too immature for my tastes too.  During the pandemic, we've been trying to watch a movie every night.  My wife complained that they were all about people shooting each other, so one night I tried to pick a comedy.  Of the many that I hadn't seen and were made in the last 15 years, none of them sounded funny, and too many of them starred actors whose humor I simply don't find funny.  So I wasn't interested in those either.  I guess I'll go back to TCM and watch something from the '50s or '60s that has no cussing, no sex, and no blood and gore.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 05:11:42 AM »

......  Wackys did not sell well enough in retail but if we can keep the online sales going for the weekly sets and support any of the licensing products (and support the additional WP sets coming out the rest of the year) then who knows? Maybe they will get another licensing shot. If so I say go full on ANS. No MLB or movies or celebrity issues. Good art and gags, fat borders and current good products.

I agree, good art and gags, fat borders, and no more tie-ins.  The Weekly sets have been great Wackys!  But, it's getting awfully expensive just keeping up with them because of the inserts.  Hopefully Topps will take a break from them in months when they offer Old School or Postcards; once I have to decrease my Weekly orders to account for money needed for Old School or Postcards, it's unlikely I'll go back up.  I'm already trying to decide whether to decrease Weekly so I'll have the cash for the minis, or maybe just pass on the minis.  That won't mean that I don't think the minis are cool, just that I have extreme wallet fatigue.

This is not intended as criticism or complaining, just as information for Topps and a suggestion.  I have been an ardent supporter of most new Wacky products, but the Weekly insert cards and chase minis (and stickers no less!), etc., are getting to be so expensive to collect that Old School 9 sales might suffer, and I don't want that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:13:33 AM by RawGoo »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 05:27:41 AM »
I've come to realize that what is funny to the masses these days is far too immature for my tastes too.  During the pandemic, we've been trying to watch a movie every night.  My wife complained that they were all about people shooting each other, so one night I tried to pick a comedy.  Of the many that I hadn't seen and were made in the last 15 years, none of them sounded funny, and too many of them starred actors whose humor I simply don't find funny.  So I wasn't interested in those either.  I guess I'll go back to TCM and watch something from the '50s or '60s that has no cussing, no sex, and no blood and gore.

I prefer older TV shows and movies as well.  I frequently laugh out loud at The Danny Thomas Show.  For old comedy movies, one of my favorites is "Bringing Up Baby" with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn.  Screwball comedy at it's best!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 09:51:45 PM »

It's so cool to see this subject brought up.  I always found it ironic that my sense of humor when I was actually joking around with friends in real time was grotesque & off-color... but when it came to the stickers & cards, I found Wackys really cool and funny, and GPK icky and stupid.  There was something different about the shock value of "gutter talk" (as my 7th-grade English teacher used to scold us about) and actually putting it in print in the form of snot spilling from the severed nose of a disemboweled human.  Not sure why, but it could be related to something that we, as a global society, have very very sadly lost forever... ephemeral events (see what I did there with my choice of words?).  Because of smart-phones and YouTube... NOTHING is temporary anymore.  One joke, one wrong word, one goofball stunt intended just to make your buddies giggle... and it's suddenly immortalized forever with no "opt-out", "undo", or ability to grow as a person 10 years later and rescind your statement about "boogers".  So, it seems like that's one reason those of us who grew up before everyone's daily life became searchable on Google tend to enjoy the classics in entertainment more.  Because humor that crosses a certain line was always meant to be only for the ears of those in your circle, and only for that one particular moment in time, to be soon forgotten.  When it's in print or on screen, it's more visceral and in-you-face.  Even the act of putting movies out for rentals & streaming changed things.  When we all saw, "Airplane!" for the first time, we laughed our asses off... with almost a sense of bashful guilt that we got to hear and see what we all heard and saw.  And we left that laughter at the theater & got back to normal life, chuckling now and then when a scene or line entered our heads.  Now, everything ever made or done or said... is downloadable anytime from anywhere.  Totally different times.  Does that element click with anyone else?  Don't get me wrong, I can totally get into movies like The Hangover, and shows like Family Guy if I'm in the right mood.  But it gets old, fast.  60's movies & shows (made before my time) I can watch all day long.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 05:12:26 AM »
Another advantage of Wacky Packages over GPK, is that every WP parody is like a time capsule, capturing a product and it's packaging design when it was created. And some of those products are no longer in circulation or have/will drastically change. Case in point - Land O Lakes. They removed the Indian woman from the packaging, but moving forward, we will always have the Land O Quakes parody to remind us of how things were. GPK are funny, yet crude, but have excellent illustration work. I'm not bashing them because they are fun and I understand the large fan base. But I don't see those as a monumental time capsule like Wacky Packages. Every GPK sticker is a time capsule to one thing only, a spoof on Garbage Pail Kids.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 06:05:40 AM »
Another advantage of Wacky Packages over GPK, is that every WP parody is like a time capsule, capturing a product and it's packaging design when it was created. And some of those products are no longer in circulation or have/will drastically change. Case in point - Land O Lakes. They removed the Indian woman from the packaging, but moving forward, we will always have the Land O Quakes parody to remind us of how things were. GPK are funny, yet crude, but have excellent illustration work. I'm not bashing them because they are fun and I understand the large fan base. But I don't see those as a monumental time capsule like Wacky Packages. Every GPK sticker is a time capsule to one thing only, a spoof on Garbage Pail Kids.
Yes, well said.  Each Wacky is like a marketing/advertising artifact.  For example, the bulbous shape of a Golden’s Mustard jar or the milky white glass bottle of Head and Shoulders shampoo looks very familiar because that was the only packaging and product on shelves at the time.  Fast forward to today and you have sleek plastic squeeze bottles, multiple sizes, endless varieties, etc.  The real products behind the parodies has become of much greater interest to me in recent years.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »
Case in point - Land O Lakes. They removed the Indian woman from the packaging...
I saw a meme on Facebook the other day regarding this change.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:42:54 PM by bigtomi »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »
Remember some comic shops temporary closed or offered curbside pick up during the COVID-19 lockdowns/stay at home orders in recent months.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »
Yes, as of now I believe I can pretty much safely say that online Wackys are the new normal and brick-and-mortar store-sold Wackys are as dead as a dodo.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »
No wackies (or even the minis) to be found at any chain stores in Iowa or Illinois these days…

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2021, 04:02:48 AM »
No wackies (or even the minis) to be found at any chain stores in Iowa or Illinois these days…

Where abouts are you JailOJohn?

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »
It's so cool to see this subject brought up.  I always found it ironic that my sense of humor when I was actually joking around with friends in real time was grotesque & off-color... but when it came to the stickers & cards, I found Wackys really cool and funny, and GPK icky and stupid.  There was something different about the shock value of "gutter talk" (as my 7th-grade English teacher used to scold us about) and actually putting it in print in the form of snot spilling from the severed nose of a disemboweled human.  Not sure why, but it could be related to something that we, as a global society, have very very sadly lost forever... ephemeral events (see what I did there with my choice of words?).  Because of smart-phones and YouTube... NOTHING is temporary anymore.  One joke, one wrong word, one goofball stunt intended just to make your buddies giggle... and it's suddenly immortalized forever with no "opt-out", "undo", or ability to grow as a person 10 years later and rescind your statement about "boogers".  So, it seems like that's one reason those of us who grew up before everyone's daily life became searchable on Google tend to enjoy the classics in entertainment more.  Because humor that crosses a certain line was always meant to be only for the ears of those in your circle, and only for that one particular moment in time, to be soon forgotten.  When it's in print or on screen, it's more visceral and in-you-face.  Even the act of putting movies out for rentals & streaming changed things.  When we all saw, "Airplane!" for the first time, we laughed our asses off... with almost a sense of bashful guilt that we got to hear and see what we all heard and saw.  And we left that laughter at the theater & got back to normal life, chuckling now and then when a scene or line entered our heads.  Now, everything ever made or done or said... is downloadable anytime from anywhere.  Totally different times.  Does that element click with anyone else?  Don't get me wrong, I can totally get into movies like The Hangover, and shows like Family Guy if I'm in the right mood.  But it gets old, fast.  60's movies & shows (made before my time) I can watch all day long.

I'm toadally with you. (sorry; too easy-I couldn't resist). But seriously, I'm with you on the 60's (and 70's) TV shows. My wife & I love the older shows from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Great writing, acting, story lines, and life lessons, although obviosuly dated, but still relevant in many ways, and very appealing and entertaining. The innocence of it all without policital overtones, sex, violence, and crime is very relaxing and enjoyable. Back then, they relied on good writing versus the garbage that's on today that doesn't appeal to us much if at all. We watch shows on DVD most of the time versus anything newer. Think shows like I love Lucy, The Honeymooners, (Norton was Kramer before Kramer), My Three Sons, The Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, Green Acres (talk about characters), Leave it to Beaver, Perry Mason, The Waltons (truly one of if not the best family show ever), Little House on the Prarie. Classic TV.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2021, 06:44:07 PM »
If so I say go full on ANS. No MLB or movies or celebrity issues. Good art and gags, fat borders and current good products.

I wish Topps would listen to you, Dave, on these suggestions.  The only ones I'd add are no colored borders, use original series titles as the inserts (especially good ones like magnets and foils), and keep it possible to actually complete a set without breaking the bank.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 05:00:27 AM »
I am in eastern Iowa/Western Illinois. No minis (or card pages or any card collecting materials) at any Targets, Wal Marts or Five Below stores in a 100 mile radius……If an All New Series were offered, it would have zero sales in this region…

Offline dth1971

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2021, 05:33:29 AM »
Rumor has it Target stores may no longer sell sports and non-sports trading cards.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2021, 05:46:44 AM »
I am in eastern Iowa/Western Illinois. No minis (or card pages or any card collecting materials) at any Targets, Wal Marts or Five Below stores in a 100 mile radius……If an All New Series were offered, it would have zero sales in this region…

How sad.  I remember being thrilled when I was able to score ANS1 packs at a TRU near my office.  That was a fun lunch hour!!  Then, on subsequent lunch hours I hit Target and Walmart stores.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2021, 06:47:03 AM »
Target on Illinois side of the Mississippi River has replaced the card aisle with gift cards for things like iTunes, Olive Garden, etc. Target on Iowa side of the river has a "card aisle" which is empty shelves and racks, but they still have their sign up "During the pandemic, customers are limited to one pack of trading cards"... but no actual cards of any kind in stock. The Internet, buying habits and Covid are to blame. I guess the thrill of opening packs is gone forever, just like riding our bikes to the corner store. I guess a person could still buy a box of Brand Busters and open packs, but even adjusted for inflation, $79 seems steep for 72 stickers...That's $1 per sticker, when Wackies used to be 3 stickers for a nickel. I guess I will give Topps credit for turning out the weekly and monthly online sets when only about 500-700 of us buy them. 

Offline drono

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2021, 11:57:44 AM »

After all, you are in Ioway where they're so by-gone stubborn, they can stand touching noses for a week at a time and never see eye-to-eye, but they'll give you their shirt and a back to go with it, if your crop should happen to die!

I guess I will give Topps credit for turning out the weekly and monthly online sets when only about 500-700 of us buy them. 

That's 500-700 sets sold.  I would guess there are a lot of people who buy 10 sets (or more), so the actual unique buyers is probably in the 150-200 range.  I used to be one of those who bought a set when they were sold weekly, but now I buy on the secondary market because I don't want to spend $600/month and maybe get a complete set if the stars are all perfectly aligned when they collated the sets.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:05:43 PM by drono »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2021, 04:00:26 PM »
Since Topps seems to be selling Wackys mostly online and/or as subsets in such things as GPK series and they haven't been seen in brick-and-mortar stores since 2018...

Hey, I just realized something... with the ANS stuff petering out in Target & Walmart around that 2018 timeframe, I wonder how rare the verticle display boxes and AD inserts are for the sets that came out around that time are. ???  I remember how a lot of mid-1990's vinyl records have astronomical values because of really low print runs as CD's totally took over.  So, did anyone end up getting THE LAST Wacky gravity box? or THE LAST of the Target AD inserts? 

I still have AD inserts for ANS 1 and 2, I believe.  And I finally folded down my small collection of gravity boxes so they all store flat.  Is anyone specifically collecting the ANS advertising stuff like that?

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 03:43:24 PM »

Bellevue here if you're ever looking for something, then it should be too far of a jaunt.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2021, 05:34:18 PM »
Bellevue Iowa? Or Bellevue Illinois? Both are somewhat close to me…

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2021, 05:39:42 PM »
Hey, I just realized something... with the ANS stuff petering out in Target & Walmart around that 2018 timeframe, I wonder how rare the verticle display boxes and AD inserts are for the sets that came out around that time are. ???  I remember how a lot of mid-1990's vinyl records have astronomical values because of really low print runs as CD's totally took over.  So, did anyone end up getting THE LAST Wacky gravity box? or THE LAST of the Target AD inserts? 

I still have AD inserts for ANS 1 and 2, I believe.  And I finally folded down my small collection of gravity boxes so they all store flat.  Is anyone specifically collecting the ANS advertising stuff like that?

I don't recall exactly which ad inserts I have, but I think I got most, if not all, of them (though I don't recall an ANS1 version).  I think those ads probably stopped around ANS8 or so, though.  As for the gravity feeds, I think I also got them through about ANS8.  I was starting to lose interest in ANS around that time as I felt the quality was diminishing and the price was increasing, so I don't think I have any gravity feeds after that.  However, I'm also not sure if there were gravity feeds for things like the 50th anniversary set or whatever the last couple mass-marketed series were.