Author Topic: Collecting strategy  (Read 885 times)

Offline Lavirus

Collecting strategy
« on: February 22, 2024, 09:41:23 AM »
I've been going over my collection and thinking about my strategy. I've always focused on art and gags - if it's new art or text, I want it. But lately I've decided to try things like the Hostess doubles, Hotel sheets and placks. When it comes to ANS, I've always passed on the border and ludlow variations but am considering getting just one example of each variation per series.

What's your approach?

Offline Soremel

Re: Collecting strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 03:43:52 PM »
Up until 2015, I was collecting everything Wacky Package related. With the introduction of 1/1 cards, multiple border/back variants, etc. I decided to totally drop collecting anything new. Part of it was that the completist in me realized that there were going to be unavoidable  holes in my collection. But, what eventually turned me away from the ANS offerings, IMO, was the seemingly reduced standards for some of the pieces that were making it to the printing stages. I'm not calling any individuals out, but there were a good deal of paintings that should not have seen the light of day, as they lacked the attention to detail, proportion, etc. that the majority of the 70's releases did. To me, it felt like quantity over quality was the new standard. My attention turned to filling in the holes in my 1967-1977 collection, as well as upgrading whenever possible. Because the original art mesmerized me as a kid, and still does to this day, I find myself still collecting to finish sets and puzzles as it still gives me the same rush that I had in the 70's while hunting down those elusive titles.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 04:23:29 PM by Soremel »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 08:30:39 PM »
In my collection, I've just done mostly base stickers with basic white backgrounds and black borders (the two Flashback series that I have are the only exceptions to this rule) and bonus stickers, foil stickers and subsets with basically the same thing. I don't do colored borders other than black, colored backgrounds other than Flashbacks, Ludlow backs of any color, sketch cards, etc.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:54:48 AM by mikecho »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 10:07:18 AM »
Mitch, so I always like to start off my set binder with an assortment of the goodies that the set included.  Starting with Flashback 1 I would pick my favorite card and get a full set of all parallels.  Now as George pointed out by WP 2015 the number of chase cards had increased exponentially.  At that point I didn’t bother with matched exanples but did keep up with an example of each.  Here’s the first few pages from that binder.  I think it makes for a fun intro to the series.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 01:38:55 PM »
Fantastic display! Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going for, though I doubt at this late date I'll be getting any gold borders - just not worth the expense. But there's a handful of items like autographs that are worth tracking down that I passed on initially.

I keep those super thick cards in snap cases in a separate container, they're one of the jewels of my collection. And I had completely forgotten about that foil Bunions until I pulled out my folder!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 02:19:37 PM »
Mitch yup the foil Bunions is a great card and, as I recall, the only foil in the set!
In terms of a WP2015 Gold there’s one on eBay that’s a steal at only $8 and it’s even one of my paintings from the set.  Here’s a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321787279174?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=pT4-UKWVROO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=n68pp3YtROa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 05:33:11 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 05:18:17 PM »
I always wanted a rigid display frame sized with slots to hold sleeved stickers/top loaders that could display a whole set or most of one.  Could be put up on a wall or just perused. 

Most of the time my sets are in cardboard storage boxes and it's a shame it is hard to view them.  Maybe BCW or UltraPro can come up with something?  :great:

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 10:50:40 AM »
I always wanted a rigid display frame sized with slots to hold sleeved stickers/top loaders that could display a whole set or most of one...  Maybe BCW or UltraPro can come up with something?  :great:
Not cheap, but UltraPro has these. If not what you meant, my apologies.

Offline drono

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 12:15:37 PM »
This one holds 35 graded cards:
https://www.amazon.com/Temgee-Graded-Sports-Card-Display/dp/B092HFN7QW

This one holds 30 ungraded cards - just short of an OS series
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1086967488

This one holds 50 ungraded cards
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1469548490

There are larger ones, but the price really starts getting prohibitive.

Displays like this remind me of the article I read in Sports Illustrated about the All-Star Cafe employees stealing Charlie Sheen's rare T206 baseball cards out of displays on the wall:
https://www.si.com/sports-illustrated/2020/02/26/all-star-cafe-heist
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 12:31:05 PM by drono »

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 02:35:52 PM »
Instituting an actual strategy for this hobby can be difficult which is why I like to fly by the seat of my pants. Post cards and artist releases have been wonderful but I also loved picking up odds and ends when the Toppsvault used to load ebay with all sorts of WP's.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 02:51:29 PM »
I also loved picking up odds and ends when the Toppsvault used to load ebay with all sorts of WP's.

What are some of your favorites from the Vault?

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 11:52:53 AM »
I've always favored the '85 Series and I have quite a number of items sold from that series by the vault. Those acetate proof cards were always great as were the 1/1 cards. Years back the vault sold and/or auctioned off some really nice items like one of the things on my wall which is the framed roll of five uncut wrappers from one of the early 80's reissue series. Now? Forget it.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 01:22:05 PM »
I've always favored the '85 Series and I have quite a number of items sold from that series by the vault.
I would suspect you're in a small club there. Seems like the '85s get very little love, along with the '91s. Good for you, though, for this and having some unique items like that.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 01:28:30 PM »
I would suspect you're in a small club there. Seems like the '85s get very little love, along with the '91s. Good for you, though, for this and having some unique items like that.
I also got the 1985 Series and the 1991 Series, both of them from Greg, I think. I thought both of them were pretty good; in fact, I did like them. My 1991 Series has all 29 of the 29 Crazy Coupons card backs (including the identical two on the back of both versions of sticker #26 (Tattoo Skins - Construction Worker n' Biker and Barf's Famous Mold Tyme Rot Beer)) and both of the two checklists, the one with Tattoo Skins listed on the back of sticker #28 (Newpork Cigarettes) and the one with Barf's listed on the back of sticker #32 (PIT Evaporated Pit Bull Milk).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:29:44 PM by mikecho »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 03:51:37 PM »
Although I always had an eye out for the fun offers from the Topps Vault I never had a way to store ‘em so ended up only buying a handful.  To this day I don’t have a good place for them and not even sure where they all ended up.  In a quick look here’s a few I found but again just don’t know what to do with ‘em. 

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2024, 04:25:05 PM »

Think of it like the mafia. Your collecting roots have to be traced back to prove you bought these from your local quickie mart in 1985.

anything