Author Topic: Possible fate of Wackys in brick-and-mortar stores?  (Read 483 times)

MoldRush and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mikecho

Possible fate of Wackys in brick-and-mortar stores?
« on: March 22, 2020, 10:10:23 AM »
I've been thinking about something lately.

Since Topps seems to be selling Wackys mostly online and/or as subsets in such things as GPK series and they haven't been seen in brick-and-mortar stores since 2018, I'm beginning to wonder if this is the new normal here from this point on as far as Topps is concerned. I'm also wondering how well the last three Wacky series sold in such stores (MLB Wacky Packages, Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary, and Wacky Packages Go to the Movies 2018) actually did saleswise and if this might've been a factor that led to this (possible?) fate. Also, is it possible that another factor might've been that all three of the aforementioned series were, at best, deviations from the norm because they contained mostly made up products?

I'm saying this because everyone here hoped that an all-new Wacky series was possibly coming in 2019 but, as we all know, nothing happened.

Thoughts, anyone?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:19:02 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

Re: Possible fate of Wackys in brick-and-mortar stores?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? Anyone at all?

Online MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 03:43:23 PM »
What we donít really know is how the retail sales did from the start of ANS to where we are today, but my guess is that sales were becoming weaker through the last few releases which led to the online sales only model we have today.

If trading cards work the same way as comic books, retailers are stuck with whatever inventory they canít sell.  If sales were weak, retailers like Target may have decided to no longer carry Wackys, effectively crushing the retail market.  Topps may have also produced more volume than retailers were able to move and replenish their supplies with before sales dried up.  To avoid this scenario, I also suspect the delays in shipping currently happening with the weekly sets are probably the result of Topps delaying production until the ordering deadlines pass, eliminating the risk of over-producing.

The other dynamic in play is that the majority of todayís kids donít really collect or have hobbies.  They are addicted to their devices and social media.  Whatever sales the retail chains did accomplish were probably 90% the result of us freaks running around raiding the shelves.  Combine that with the greater interest and purchasing power of adult fans and you have the ingredients for the business model now in place.  The one thing I canít figure out is how those same Targets still carry sports cards and these little bagged mini figures of various types that seem to be selling, because they havenít gone away.

Anyway, you seem hungry for feedback, so thatís my theory.  Canít say for certain that any or all of it is factually accurate.

Online Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
I would have expected to see combo packs of unsold product, like they did with the chrome wacky set, if the last few releases didn't sell well.
A

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
I really don't see any benefit of purchasing newly released trading cards from brick and mortar stores, comic stores and specialty sport card shops.   Personally, I have not gone to a brick and mortar looking for sports or non sport cards in years. I occasionally will attend a card show but I never purchase new releases at the brick and mortar level.   Just my opinion. 

Online MoldRush

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
I really don't see any benefit of purchasing newly released trading cards from brick and mortar stores, comic stores and specialty sport card shops.   Personally, I have not gone to a brick and mortar looking for sports or non sport cards in years. I occasionally will attend a card show but I never purchase new releases at the brick and mortar level.   Just my opinion.
Iím of a similar mindset for the most part.  Modern sports sets just donít appeal to me.  Like comics you get a much glossier shinier product at exponentially higher prices, with far less substance.  Only star players with no roster depth, green-screening the background behind the player with flashy foil or explosion bursts, endless chase nonsense, and on and on.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 07:35:49 PM »
What is the fascination with Garbage Pail Kids that they still like hotcakes at retail? I mean...the artwork is great, but so is Wacky Packages artwork. They are both kindred products in the sense that both are parody cards.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:33:03 AM »
Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc.., sometimes have older gravity feeds. Walmart seems to have condensed its card section but Target is quite numerous and selling GPK at retail would make WP's as appropriate IMO.

Online MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:09:16 PM »
All things being equal, I would think Wackys should always outsell GPKs because Wackys are always based on something current and somewhat familiar to todayís kids, whereas no matter what wicked new spin one puts on GPK new issues, they will always be based on dolls from the 80ís.  I donít get it either.  I guess if you can get a kid hooked on how outrageous the GPK gags are, the ultimate source or origin of the concept itself doesnít matter much anymore.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:20:35 PM »
I think most of us think Wackys would be bigger sellers than GPKs, but if I'm not mistaken,
there is a FAR bigger fan base out there for GPKs, and they've got us beat by a mile!

Not that we're too shabby.  And I believe one of the biggest sellers that Topps has is all
its Baseball sets, that is another huge market!