Author Topic: ANS7 Sketch Review  (Read 84395 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: ANS7 Sketch Review
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2010, 05:24:04 PM »
They are the same cards that are in the packs. Topps sends the artist (for example) 210 cards to draw. The artist sends them back and Topps gives them 10 cards to keep because all of you guys and all the dealers get to potentially make big bucks from them and this is the artist's chance to get a piece of that. If this was not offered no artists would do these cards because the base pay is not worth it. Obviously the artists request back their favorite 10. Topps also keeps some cards out of the packs for damage replacements which are also factored into the numbers. Pack or not they are an equal part of the sketch cards for each series.

So with some of these sketches there's no way to tell whether it was pulled from a pack or not?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
So with some of these sketches there's no way to tell whether it was pulled from a pack or not?

There is no difference between the artists returns and the ones that end up in the packs. These are not artist commissions or knock-offs the artist is doing on his own. They are part of the same batch Topps hired them to draw up and then Topps pulls 10 of them out and gives them back to the artist. They are as official as any that are in the pack because any of them could have been in the pack. Same exact cards.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »

With the postcards, it's a bit different. Because the sets are numbered, I ask the artists to add "Artists Sketch" or something similar on back. It helps distinguish what's what.  And typically, the artists get just 2 - 4 sketch card returns per set, since the production numbers are relatively small.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2010, 05:41:30 PM »

With the postcards, it's a bit different. Because the sets are numbered, I ask the artists to add "Artists Sketch" or something similar on back. It helps distinguish what's what.  And typically, the artists get just 2 - 4 sketch card returns per set, since the production numbers are relatively small.

Yeah, I didn't mention these or something like OLDS because he was talking about mainstream pack sets that feature sketch cards. I was talking about ANS, GPK, Indiana Jones, Star Wars and the rest. The collector sets may or may not have differences.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mention these or something like OLDS because he was talking about mainstream pack sets that feature sketch cards. I was talking about ANS, GPK, Indiana Jones, Star Wars and the rest. The collector sets may or may not have differences.

and don't forget those extra fun baseball card sets!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
and don't forget those extra fun baseball card sets!

Seriously, that was one of the worst art experiences of my life.

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »
Seriously, that was one of the worst art experiences of my life.
Man, sounds like I really missed out on this one.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2010, 06:59:10 PM »
There is no difference between the artists returns and the ones that end up in the packs. These are not artist commissions or knock-offs the artist is doing on his own. They are part of the same batch Topps hired them to draw up and then Topps pulls 10 of them out and gives them back to the artist. They are as official as any that are in the pack because any of them could have been in the pack. Same exact cards.

It sounds like I'd be fine with one that was done directly from the artist.  The card itself is really what's important to me so if they are basically the same it wouldn't bother me.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2010, 02:12:41 AM »
Why do we even bother calling these guys artists? Let's just call them Organic Sketch Mechanisms.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2010, 02:29:18 AM »
I know the artist were given instructions by Topps to replicate exisiting old packages done before. I for one thought this was the wrong approach by them because the end collectors love the unusual varieties made up based on these old packages. Pupsi dog doing something probably would of sold versus a Norm Saunders replication

Choke-Wagon
Exactly. Re-imaging the designs would make them more fresh and exciting. They would also have the unique touch of the Organic Sketch Mechanism (artist). Kids don't care but it's not kids who are collecting sketch cards. 

I do think kids are buying heaps of packs for the chasers. Sooner or later some parent group is going to raise the issue of gambling against Topps. And they'd be right. It's exactly like pulling a handle on a slot machine.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2010, 05:03:59 AM »
Exactly. Re-imaging the designs would make them more fresh and exciting. They would also have the unique touch of the Organic Sketch Mechanism (artist). Kids don't care but it's not kids who are collecting sketch cards.  

I do think kids are buying heaps of packs for the chasers. Sooner or later some parent group is going to raise the issue of gambling against Topps. And they'd be right. It's exactly like pulling a handle on a slot machine.

Exactly! If kids, who are smart these days sees that he could pull just One sketch or gold and sell it on e-bay for more money than he could imagine, it would be like a Vegas experience.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »
Sooner or later some parent group is going to raise the issue of gambling against Topps.

....and that's exactly why I don't tell my parents about this!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »

Glocky Packages

« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »
are there 2 of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-ANS7-SKETCH-Play-Dumb-Jay-Lynch-RARE-/260663168862

Looks like two different sketches of the same thing alright.I wonder how many versions were made...2...4…?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:59:31 AM by Glocky Packages »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:47 PM »
Looks like two different sketches of the same thing alright.I wonder how many versions were made...2...4…?

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

That kinda stinks! So much for unique sketches.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2010, 03:02:05 AM »
That kinda stinks! So much for unique sketches.
Did you think these guys were going to draw a ton of completely unique sketches? That's way too big a task for doing even just 50 sketches, let alone the quantities for ANS7.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
Did you think these guys were going to draw a ton of completely unique sketches? That's way too big a task for doing even just 50 sketches, let alone the quantities for ANS7.
Yes! So far this is the only duplicate sketch. Most artists did variations for PC6 and that was about the same size production of sketch cards.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:18:29 PM by BumChex »

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
All of mine are different

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
All of mine are different
How are these sellers getting the return cards? I'm confused on this whole return thing.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
How are these sellers getting the return cards? I'm confused on this whole return thing.

They can't get return cards unless they get them from the artist.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
They can't get return cards unless they get them from the artist.

Why wouldn't the artists offer to sell them to any forum members first? I realize the open market would probably have better results but there are some forum members that are willing to spend. So are these sketches given to ebay sellers as a type of consignment?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »
Why wouldn't the artists offer to sell them to any forum members first? I realize the open market would probably have better results but there are some forum members that are willing to spend. So are these sketches given to ebay sellers as a type of consignment?

I don't see any artist return cards for ANS7 that a dealer is selling. Can you point me to the sale? The Ajerx was sold directly by Fred and the Pupsi was being sold by Brent. All other sketch cards I've seen were pack pulls sold by collectors and dealers.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
I don't see any artist return cards for ANS7 that a dealer is selling. Can you point me to the sale? The Ajerx was sold directly by Fred and the Pupsi was being sold by Brent. All other sketch cards I've seen were pack pulls sold by collectors and dealers.
I didn't know their eBay user names. I thought they were dealers. Thanks for the info!
So Fred & Brent, what are you guys hiding from us? ;)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04:49 AM »
I didn't know their eBay user names. I thought they were dealers. Thanks for the info!

The forum would be a nice place to start for sure.  I'm sure there are buyers here is the pricing is decent and it would give them an opportunity to make a buck. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2010, 03:10:09 PM »
The forum would be a nice place to start for sure.  I'm sure there are buyers here is the pricing is decent and it would give them an opportunity to make a buck. 

With the high prices these are going for, ebay is making a nice buck as well - I always prefer to cut them out of the equation.  What does it come to, about 12% with ebay and paypal combined?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
With the high prices these are going for, ebay is making a nice buck as well - I always prefer to cut them out of the equation.  What does it come to, about 12% with ebay and paypal combined?

Everyone seems to be paying with paypal as a "gift" payment because there are no fees.  I don't understand why paypal allows this but it definitely works.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
The forum is not exactly the place to get top $ for stuff even with it being off ebay saving fees for the seller.  Most of us here look for bargains, most of the big spenders don't seem to lurk here.  I don't blame them for selling on ebay.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »
Everyone seems to be paying with paypal as a "gift" payment because there are no fees.  I don't understand why paypal allows this but it definitely works.

I didn't realize that was an option on an ebay win.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2010, 08:21:28 PM »

Last time I sent Paypal as a gift, I had to pay the fees. Not sure how people are getting around this.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2010, 06:09:08 AM »
Last time I sent Paypal as a gift, I had to pay the fees. Not sure how people are getting around this.

I think you can't use a credit card as a gift payment.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2010, 07:26:50 AM »

Exactly, it has to be from balance or direct withdrawal from a bank account.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2010, 07:27:46 AM »
I didn't realize that was an option on an ebay win.

I think there is a way to do it but if you use the automated "proceed to paypal" system you are right, it will default to a normal payment with fees.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2010, 09:45:40 AM »

That must have been why.
If I don't have a Paypal balance, I use a credit card and bump up my rewards points  :D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2010, 03:27:48 PM »
These sketches are really cool especially in your hand. I just made an offer to the ebay seller for both the Mutts and the Ultrabite. They just came in yesterday and they are very nice! They look a lot better than the photos on ebay. I think I now have sketch fever :drunken_smilie:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
You know the more I look at this sketch the more it looks terrible. Notice the sketch lines?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-ANS-7-Sketch-Card-BAND-Ache-Zapata-/380270110161

It's just a drawing of the wacky card and nothing added. I love Band-Ache but this one is way over valued.
I also am noticing not as many sketches showing up. We had an initial rash of them and now only a couple.
I ended up with 3 total and they are fantastic.

anything