Author Topic: ANS7 Sketch Review  (Read 84477 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: ANS7 Sketch Review
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »

I thought there were only 3 artists who did sketches?...............

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-ANS-7-Sketch-Card-BAND-Ache-Zapata-/380267549118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5889b651be

Can one of the artists please give us a breakdown of artists and approximate quantities?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-ANS-7-Sketch-Card-BAND-Ache-Zapata-/380267549118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5889b651be

Can one of the artists please give us a breakdown of artists and approximate quantities?

That is news to me. Brent, Jay and Fred were the artists who worked on them. I had to bow out due to my vacation. Topps does not release quantities anymore.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »

Wow!  Where did we first hear that there were only three artists?

The asking price it incredibly high - I wonder if it's because it's Band-Ache, or because it's the first Zapata?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:57:28 PM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »

That Band-Ache isn't that nice. That looks like a very rough sketch.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »
Any rocket scientists in the house?
Somewhere around here, he's lurking . . .

What ever happened to think tanks? Maybe they are obsolete, like tan backs.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »

The asking price it incredibly high - I wonder if it's because it's Band-Ache, or because it's the first Zapata?

Neither, it's because it's Cardgary's.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2010, 05:36:59 PM »
Neither, it's because it's Cardgary's.

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
Wow!  Where did we first hear that there were only three artists?

I love the incredibly arbitrary price of 2,467.97.  :o  And another thing.... if you are asking this kinda price, what the hell is with $8 shipping?!?!? Jeez, :^)  I usually do free shipping on my actions for MUCH less than this.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:15:48 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
The biggest difference I can see between sketch cards and the original art, is that on one hand, you have a rare, printed trading card with the "officially licensed Topps Wacky Packages" endorsment - giving them automatic "rock star" status. So, most people (with money) are basing their bids on the collectibility or resale value. An interesting side effect is that the artist's work seems to be a secondary priority. When they go full tilt on the drawing, it's icing on the cake, but even when they don't, the sketch cards still sell for crazy dollars.

The paintings on the other hand are a one-of-a-kind item, that people buy for the aesthetic value. I would guess that the majority of these people buy them for keeps, to hang on their walls.

A very interesting phenomenon. But what does it all mean? Any rocket scientists in the house?
I think you are trying to apply way too much logic to this.  If the paintings were in packs, the same hoaders would be all over them.  If the sketches weren't in packs and just offered by Toppsvault, they wouldn't be nearly as desirable. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:21 PM »
Yes, disgusted (damn spell checker :D). Ironically I emailed her yesterday and asked her if she saw the show hoarders. After watching a few episodes I decided I better clear out some of my stuff..LOL
I am in no way like these people on the show. These people are absolute pigs. I don't think it's hoarding as an issue as total laziness. They are too lazy to throw away boxes and empty pop bottles. They go shopping and just throw whatever they bought on top of a pile. It's really disturbing.
It is a real sickness and it appears it could be hereditary.  One of my coworkers is married to a hoarder and her daughter has the same issue.  Her husband buys endless numbers of workroom tools, some that he already has many times over.....he just throws them in a shed that is piled high with tools.  She has to sneak in there and throw some out every once in awhile and he doesn't even notice, he just keeps mindlessly buying more and piling them up!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
I think you are trying to apply way too much logic to this.  If the paintings were in packs, the same hoaders would be all over them.  If the sketches weren't in packs and just offered by Toppsvault, they wouldn't be nearly as desirable. 
That is totally correct! Card collectors are different than art collectors. People love the chase! It might seem like an up hill battle but hardcore collectors will go after it and Topps knows that. It doesn't matter what the odds are, they will try to complete a set where as art collecting doesn't have a set to collect. This is also where the mindset that Plan 9 is trying to wrap his head around.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
I love the incredibly arbitrary price of 2,467.97.  :o  And another thing.... if you are asking this kinda price, what the hell is with $8 shipping?!?!? Jeez, :^)  I usually do free shipping on my actions for MUCH less than this.
LOL....again, because it is cardgarys!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2010, 11:32:47 PM »
That is totally correct! Card collectors are different than art collectors. People love the chase! It might seem like an up hill battle but hardcore collectors will go after it and Topps knows that. It doesn't matter what the odds are, they will try to complete a set where as art collecting doesn't have a set to collect. This is also where the mindset that Plan 9 is trying to wrap his head around.
I understand set building. I guess that explains why the buying is tactical rather than artistically driven. What I don't understand is the pricing. But I feel better knowing that folks here are finally discussing the sketch card pricing and with reasonable observation. Before it was like there was a man on fire running down the street and nobody seemed to notice him.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2010, 04:14:48 AM »
If the paintings were in packs, the same hoaders would be all over them.  If the sketches weren't in packs and just offered by Toppsvault, they wouldn't be nearly as desirable. 

The ANS3 Browny color sketch from Toppsvault has been on ebay for quite some time with no takers at $500.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2010, 04:31:48 AM »
It is a real sickness and it appears it could be hereditary.  One of my coworkers is married to a hoarder and her daughter has the same issue.  Her husband buys endless numbers of workroom tools, some that he already has many times over.....he just throws them in a shed that is piled high with tools.  She has to sneak in there and throw some out every once in awhile and he doesn't even notice, he just keeps mindlessly buying more and piling them up!

I have not seen "Hoarders" but I can imagine.  My wife does watch a lot of "Clean House" on Style - a lot of these families clearly have issues with their buying obcession, keeping obcession and an odd sense to be able to live with rooms and rooms full of clutter.  I don't get that.

I may have a collector mentality (comics, music, DVDs, etc.) but I also have a strong sense of organization.  Everything has to be in a neat and orderly place.  Seeing stuff just thrown around in piles would drive me insane.  I'd have to organize it (and get rid of stuff not needed).
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2010, 04:41:50 AM »
I think you are trying to apply way too much logic to this.  If the paintings were in packs, the same hoaders would be all over them.  If the sketches weren't in packs and just offered by Toppsvault, they wouldn't be nearly as desirable.  

Actually, you're reinforcing my point. If paintings were put into packs, those packs would then create the "official topps wacky packages" status I was talking about, and yes, hoarders would be all over them.

But I agree, I'm spending way too much time thinking about this...I should be drawing sketch cards! ;)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2010, 09:11:31 AM »
I have not seen "Hoarders" but I can imagine.  My wife does watch a lot of "Clean House" on Style - a lot of these families clearly have issues with their buying obcession, keeping obcession and an odd sense to be able to live with rooms and rooms full of clutter.  I don't get that.

I may have a collector mentality (comics, music, DVDs, etc.) but I also have a strong sense of organization.  Everything has to be in a neat and orderly place.  Seeing stuff just thrown around in piles would drive me insane.  I'd have to organize it (and get rid of stuff not needed).
everyone should watch 5-10 minutes of one of these shows sometime. You might think you can imagine what a "hoarder" house looks like, but I was still blown away by sheer amount of crap these people have in their homes. It's not just clutter. It's beyond clutter. You can barely even walk into a room. And in many cases it's at "land-fill" status, with roaches and rats feasting on rotting bags of animal feed and what not that are buried under mounds and piles of useless junk. And oddly, many of these folks feel like their stuff is organized...

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »
I think you are trying to apply way too much logic to this.  If the paintings were in packs, the same hoaders would be all over them.  If the sketches weren't in packs and just offered by Toppsvault, they wouldn't be nearly as desirable.  
exactly. and this explains why the Lynch ANS3 sketches see little action. They weren't in packs and were only sold on ebay.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
everyone should watch 5-10 minutes of one of these shows sometime. You might think you can imagine what a "hoarder" house looks like, but I was still blown away by sheer amount of crap these people have in their homes. It's not just clutter. It's beyond clutter. You can barely even walk into a room. And in many cases it's at "land-fill" status, with roaches and rats feasting on rotting bags of animal feed and what not that are buried under mounds and piles of useless junk. And oddly, many of these folks feel like their stuff is organized...
There was a lady missing in Boulder, CO for about 4 days. This was a few weeks ago. They finally found her crushed by her stuff in her house. She was a hoarder. It was piled so high that it finally fell on her.
This Monday's episode looks like it's going to be really disgusting. Good thing there is now MNF :D

Offline bandaches

« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »
Did you see the episode where they pulled dead flat cats out from under the rubble.  They had no idea their cats were dead and buried....literally....

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »
vacation. Topps does not release quantities anymore.

When did they ever release quantities?  I'm still waiting to find out how many of each Old School characters that Jay did!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »
When did they ever release quantities?  I'm still waiting to find out how many of each Old School characters that Jay did!

So does the Old School sketch poster that Topps sold not show a representation of all the different characters? Sorry if this is a naive question, I was not following the sketches closely when that series was just released.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »

I'm right there with you brother! That sounds just like me!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »
Did you see the episode where they pulled dead flat cats out from under the rubble.  They had no idea their cats were dead and buried....literally....

OMG! I did see that and it was pretty F'ed up! And as was posted before, it is like walking thru a landfill in some of these houses. How do they stand the stench!?!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2010, 07:19:36 PM »
Looks like collectors aren't going to pay high dollar for exact replica sketches. Cardgarys may have other issues:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380266291184

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2010, 03:05:08 AM »
Looks like collectors aren't going to pay high dollar for exact replica sketches. Cardgarys may have other issues:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380266291184

Man, that's a head scratcher! Based on current bids, a full color painted sketch card by Brent ought to get twice the asking price!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2010, 04:59:13 AM »
Man, that's a head scratcher! Based on current bids, a full color painted sketch card by Brent ought to get twice the asking price!

I was wondering if this would happen, and if maybe the fact that it is a return, instead of pulled from a pack, turned off the big collectors?  I'd be thrilled to have it in my collection, and considered bidding $1,000 on the chance that no one else was interested, but decided that $1,000 was too much for me to justify spending on a card.  I'm hoping to buy a certain piece of ANS7 art, so I just logged off ebay yesterday so I wouldn't be further tempted.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2010, 07:53:30 AM »
I was wondering if this would happen, and if maybe the fact that it is a return, instead of pulled from a pack, turned off the big collectors? 

Fred's Ajerx was a return and that one was $2K

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2010, 08:05:46 AM »
I know the artist were given instructions by Topps to replicate exisiting old packages done before. I for one thought this was the wrong approach by them because the end collectors love the unusual varieties made up based on these old packages. Pupsi dog doing something probably would of sold versus a Norm Saunders replication

Choke-Wagon

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2010, 08:12:59 AM »

I didn't realize that the Ajerx was a return.  That makes the Pupsi going with no bids seem really odd.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2010, 09:48:51 AM »

Explain this return thing. Aren't all sketch cards returned to Topps? It states in the auction that it was returned to Topps but I just thought that was what all the artists did. Is there something different with this card?

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
Explain this return thing. Aren't all sketch cards returned to Topps? It states in the auction that it was returned to Topps but I just thought that was what all the artists did. Is there something different with this card?
this was covered already in the ANS7 Review thread. Here's Dave's explanation:
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=392.msg12970#msg12970

there's a few posts before and after that one all talking the "return thing" that was brought up by tevans333.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »
this was covered already in the ANS7 Review thread. Here's Dave's explanation:
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=392.msg12970#msg12970

there's a few posts before and after that one all talking the "return thing" that was brought up by tevans333.

Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I couldn't put 2 and 2 together since that Pupsi looks just like the sketch from a pack. There should be a way to distinguish between the 2. This really changes things for me and collecting sketches.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2010, 12:13:06 PM »

I know, that's a sweet sketch too!  I don't collect colored ones but that's one I wouldn't mind having in my collection.  Still a little too much money for me.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2010, 04:32:17 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I couldn't put 2 and 2 together since that Pupsi looks just like the sketch from a pack. There should be a way to distinguish between the 2. This really changes things for me and collecting sketches.

They are the same cards that are in the packs. Topps sends the artist (for example) 210 cards to draw. The artist sends them back and Topps gives them 10 cards to keep because all of you guys and all the dealers get to potentially make big bucks from them and this is the artist's chance to get a piece of that. If this was not offered no artists would do these cards because the base pay is not worth it. Obviously the artists request back their favorite 10. Topps also keeps some cards out of the packs for damage replacements which are also factored into the numbers. Pack or not they are an equal part of the sketch cards for each series.