Author Topic: How expensive is it to die-cut sticker cards?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
How expensive is it to die-cut sticker cards?
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »
I just opened a couple blaster boxes of GPK Late to School from Target, as I always do when a new set comes out, and I was just wondering why GPK and Wacky sets aren't die-cut anymore.  Heck, some aren't even stickers.  Is it a cost thing?  How much does it cost to die-cut stickers?  I mean, from the 70's to the 90's, all sticker sets were die-cut, but I assume the print runs were huge at 25 or 50 cents a pack, so that brought costs down.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: How expensive is it to die-cut sticker cards?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 05:04:09 AM »
I just opened a couple blaster boxes of GPK Late to School from Target, as I always do when a new set comes out, and I was just wondering why GPK and Wacky sets aren't die-cut anymore.  Heck, some aren't even stickers.  Is it a cost thing?  How much does it cost to die-cut stickers?  I mean, from the 70's to the 90's, all sticker sets were die-cut, but I assume the print runs were huge at 25 or 50 cents a pack, so that brought costs down.

Die-cutting (and Kiss-cutting) are one of the most expensive parts of printing. They have to make a master die for each shape and that can cost 1000 bucks each or more, depending on the complexity of the shape. And each die has a limited shelf life. That's why it's getting rarer and rarer these days.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 05:16:24 AM »
Die-cutting (and Kiss-cutting) are one of the most expensive parts of printing. They have to make a master die for each shape and that can cost 1000 bucks each or more, depending on the complexity of the shape. And each die has a limited shelf life. That's why it's getting rarer and rarer these days.

I do miss them, but to make magnets I have to cut the magnet material by hand anyway.  The thinner black borders do leave less room for error.  I also miss making my peeled border sets of Old Schools  :P

Offline chipereno

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 01:22:21 PM »
Well the good news is we just purchased a machine that can kiss cut sticker sheets
No die needed!!! Works best on the stickers with the tag liner. I could even kiss cut a single
Sticker.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »
We have to talk Chip! PM me with your number and a good time to call

anything