Author Topic: New Wacky Discovery?  (Read 4839 times)

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
New Wacky Discovery?
« on: January 04, 2020, 06:59:09 PM »
I found this amazingly cool Wacky Packages Cork Bulletin Board the other day! I have not seen one of these before and find no mention of it anywhere online. It is made by the same company (Paper Trends) that the stationary is made by so I would think that they also made the same 4 titles in the Cork Bulletin Boards as well.
I wanted to share with everyone!

Offline mlmtf6

Re: New Wacky Discovery?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 09:10:08 PM »
 :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: ;)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 12:28:19 AM »
Very cool!  What are the dimensions?  And, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone mention stationery before, would love to see that, too.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 04:37:15 AM »
Very cool!  What are the dimensions?  And, I don't believe I've ever heard anyone mention stationery before, would love to see that, too.
It measures 18 x 11. Nice and large!
 The stationery is documented on Rusty's website. There are 4 known titles. Rice-A-Phoni, Harm&Hammer, Neveready and Krackola.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 08:56:15 AM »
Sweet!

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 05:56:56 PM »
I found this amazingly cool Wacky Packages Cork Bulletin Board the other day! I have not seen one of these before and find no mention of it anywhere online. It is made by the same company (Paper Trends) that the stationary is made by so I would think that they also made the same 4 titles in the Cork Bulletin Boards as well.
I wanted to share with everyone!

I have these except Neveready.  Pretty cool items. 

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »
cool find, that looks great!

Of course, I don't think I'd ever actually pin something to the bulletin board but I'd hang in with Wacky pride, kudos!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 01:43:30 AM »
Jeff that is too cool!  Amazing that we can still make new Wacky discoveries!

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 06:39:34 AM »
Way cool Jeff!!!!

Thanks for posting this -  :great:

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 08:18:15 AM »
Nice! Where did you find it?

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »
Nice! Where did you find it?

Wow... I never remember seeing these back in the day when I was cataloging & taking photos of the Wacky stuff for the guide books.  Cool to see a new vintage item!  The modified artwork on these is interesting.  I wonder why they didn't just go with blown-up versions of the originals, like on the Wallace Berrie wall-placks, and T-shirts, etc.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »
Wow... I never remember seeing these back in the day when I was cataloging & taking photos of the Wacky stuff for the guide books.  Cool to see a new vintage item!  The modified artwork on these is interesting.  I wonder why they didn't just go with blown-up versions of the originals, like on the Wallace Berrie wall-placks, and T-shirts, etc.
I wondered the same thing on the artwork. Its very close and at least there is no change to any of the wording.
Speaking of Wall-Placks, I sure would love to find one to have as an example of the set.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 02:48:11 PM »
Yah, the plack set was so cool, and SO hard to complete.  That's one I definitely miss.  But I had a few even as a kid, which isn't common in the collector ranks.  I found a whole box of them at Pic-and-Save when I was 10yo or so, for 19c each... and only bought 3 or 4.  Ug.  Never saw them there again after that either.  Would be really cool to know how many sets are out there in the collectors hands.  They were really popular for a while & eBay prices were getting up into the $100's each.  Now, I never see or hear anything about them.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 03:46:21 PM »
Would be really cool to know how many sets are out there in the collectors hands.
The only set I know of is Cheryl's, but I don't know that she still has it. It might have changed hands long ago. Since I didn't know about Brian's truck, I am far from the most reliable of sources, LOL. I just have one plack, which is still in its factory shrink wrap.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
I have 2 placks from when I was a kid - Drowny and Jail-O.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »
The only set I know of is Cheryl's, but I don't know that she still has it. It might have changed hands long ago. Since I didn't know about Brian's truck, I am far from the most reliable of sources, LOL. I just have one plack, which is still in its factory shrink wrap.

Cheryl sold her plack set at one of the recent non-sport shows.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »
I have 2 placks from when I was a kid - Drowny and Jail-O.

I have 2 placks from when I was a kid as well - Commie and Neveready. I also have a Vile. The Commie was displayed in my childhood room for years and still is one of my favorite Wacky items.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 12:50:25 AM »
I have 2 placks from when I was a kid as well - Commie and Neveready. I also have a Vile. The Commie was displayed in my childhood room for years and still is one of my favorite Wacky items.

The Drowny is still displayed on my childhood desk, which is in the spare bedroom that I use as an office.  The Jail-O turned up just a few months ago in a bookbag in my mother's garage - I showed all that stuff I found in the "1976 Time Capsule" thread.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 06:30:00 AM »

I've got a plack set as well

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 06:38:01 AM »

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »
me too

Full set of Wacky placks here as well.  Also, I know another collector, John Kosturik ('Moron Chicken') has a full set too!

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 06:35:10 PM »
Full set of Wacky placks here as well.  Also, I know another collector, John Kosturik ('Moron Chicken') has a full set too!
All those full sets and not one single extra for a comrade in need lol.

That is amazing that so many full sets are out there. Its a huge accomplishment.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »
I would love to see a full set posted here with a great picture!

Here is my one and only I purchased from Roxanne,

Richard
#StayWacky

Online Joe G.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 06:20:10 PM »
Richard, very cool!  Unfortunately I am like Jeff and have yet to add a single one to my collection.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 04:33:57 AM »
I have one Neveready. I'd love to have an entire set.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 03:43:44 PM »
Looks like 5 sets total, so far, if I counted right.  Great to know Dave's still got his.  Was fun tying that race w/him in 2000.  But I have no clue where my old set went.  They weren't all still in cellophane, but many were.  Sounds like a lot of the stragglers ended up completing sets, which is great.  I'm guessing there's probably at least another few out there that aren't counted or aren't on this forum, too.  Maybe 10 realistically?

What's weird, though, is that the Wallace Berrie stuff was EVERYWHERE in the 70's/80's.  The bulk of it is ugly as heck.  But every discount store & craft store had that stuff.  So, I have to think the print run for the Wacky Plaques, given their popularity at the time, must have been a lot more than 10 sets and some singles.  I wonder if they literally trashed what didn't sell or if there's a nice find somewhere out there in a warehouse.  Since I saw them at Pic-N-Save as a kid, I'm guessing that was by the time they didn't sell somewhere else.  That store was like a cross between Marshalls/Ross and the 99c store.  Mostly junky overstock.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 01:24:38 AM »
Looks like 5 sets total, so far, if I counted right.  Great to know Dave's still got his.  Was fun tying that race w/him in 2000.  But I have no clue where my old set went.  They weren't all still in cellophane, but many were.  Sounds like a lot of the stragglers ended up completing sets, which is great.  I'm guessing there's probably at least another few out there that aren't counted or aren't on this forum, too.  Maybe 10 realistically?

What's weird, though, is that the Wallace Berrie stuff was EVERYWHERE in the 70's/80's.  The bulk of it is ugly as heck.  But every discount store & craft store had that stuff.  So, I have to think the print run for the Wacky Plaques, given their popularity at the time, must have been a lot more than 10 sets and some singles.  I wonder if they literally trashed what didn't sell or if there's a nice find somewhere out there in a warehouse.  Since I saw them at Pic-N-Save as a kid, I'm guessing that was by the time they didn't sell somewhere else.  That store was like a cross between Marshalls/Ross and the 99c store.  Mostly junky overstock.

If there had been a checklist of all the titles, I would have made sure to "collect 'em all" and I'd be on the list of people with a set  :sad:

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 01:22:06 PM »
Yah, kind of strange there wasn't a printed list on the back of each plaque with a list of titles.  I'm assuming it's still remained stable at 36 titles and no color background variations (which always surprised me... can't imagine that there weren't a few factory mistakes when assembling them that would have created some mega-rare color variants... which of course would have probably been counterfeited by the same people filling and ironing 'unopened packs' and re-stuck Ludlows back then.)

Seeing them again makes me feel like going after a set.  But I don't have the kind of free time I used to in the late 90's anymore. 

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2020, 06:06:36 AM »
Yah, kind of strange there wasn't a printed list on the back of each plaque with a list of titles.  I'm assuming it's still remained stable at 36 titles and no color background variations (which always surprised me... can't imagine that there weren't a few factory mistakes when assembling them that would have created some mega-rare color variants... which of course would have probably been counterfeited by the same people filling and ironing 'unopened packs' and re-stuck Ludlows back then.)

Seeing them again makes me feel like going after a set.  But I don't have the kind of free time I used to in the late 90's anymore.

I think it would be tough to put together a set of these as I rarely see even singles on eBay. Unless of course someone here who has a full set would want to part with it.