Author Topic: Sales Tax - Is it resulting in you buying fewer Wackys?  (Read 9050 times)

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

Re: Sales Tax - Is it resulting in you buying fewer Wackys?
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »
On a related rant, it has bothered me to buy the same music in different formats. I've purchase some songs 3 or 4 times, first on vinyl, then on cassette tape and/or CD and more recently digitally. Thankfully, I never owned an 8-track player!

LOL! Let's not even talk about how many times we've bought the same wackys over and over.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 08:27:16 AM »
Yes, I could, if I had any familiarity with that. But downloading every CD I own onto my phone seems a bit overwhelming.

Since new cars sadly no longer have cd players/changers, I download music to USB and use those in the car. Seems like a waste to take up all that space on my phone IMO.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »
I'm the same way, I don't care to have music on my phone, I like the old fashioned cd's.

And our apologies for hijacking this Wacky thread  8)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 05:00:56 PM »
LOL! Let's not even talk about how many times we've bought the same wackys over and over.

Good point! Makes me glad I never bought multiples of the same CD just because they had different colored borders (although I did buy one or two non-black vinyl LPs as collector items way back).

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 10:03:04 PM »
Since no one else mentioned it, I will.  If your car has a DVD player, it will most likely play a CD.  Mine does, and I use it as a CD player since I, too, prefer listening to CD's and never watch DVD's when I drive.  Just thought I'd throw that info out there.

And to just make sure I address the topic of this thread, I've grown to expect to pay sales tax.  I was pleased with the short time we had for tax-free internet sales (and we still do on the smaller web sites), but I always knew in the back of my head that the other foot would drop.  When it did, I wasn't surprised.  However, at least they don't charge city sales tax, which is about half the sales tax you pay in Oklahoma, so I still get off cheap.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »
that the other foot would drop.
LOL, you mean shoe? or do you mean foot 'cause you pay an arm and a leg in tax?
(just busting your chops)   :P

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 08:08:04 PM »
problems in New York State?  I'm sure A.O.C. will take care of all your problems!   :great:

teehee

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2020, 11:12:57 PM »
I'm the same way, I don't care to have music on my phone, I like the old fashioned cd's.

And our apologies for hijacking this Wacky thread  8)

Paul, I’m still using 8-track tapes.  My Panasonic RQ-830s is DYN-NO-MITE!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2020, 04:52:56 AM »
I still have a few cassettes, too!  8-tracks, you got me there, Joe, that's awesome!

As Bow Wow Wow said, C-30, C-60, C-90 Go!

Offline quas

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2020, 04:56:18 AM »
I still have a few cassettes, too!  8-tracks, you got me there, Joe, that's awesome!

As Bow Wow Wow said, C-30, C-60, C-90 Go!

My 2001 car has a cassette player (and CD player).
Marc

Offline 6_Fooey_Ounces

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2020, 06:24:54 AM »
My Panasonic RQ-830s is DYN-NO-MITE!

Oh man!!!  I had a red one!!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2020, 03:49:36 PM »
Not at all. I still use and love CD's.

And I thought I was the last person on earth that still had CDs.  Someone told me that 2020 is slated to be the first year in decades that LP's outsell CDs, due to the newfound interest by kids in record collecting.  Wild.  Although, I wouldn't expect 8-tracks or floppy-disks to come back anytime soon.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2020, 06:51:48 PM »
   Yes, it will probably make me bid lower on auction items and be more discreet in what I purchase, especially higher cost items.

As an aside, I haven't used to CD player in at least a decade. mp3s are just so much easier for me as Iwas never a stickler for audio quality. 

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »
What's weird about mp3's is it wasn't the much downgraded fidelity that caused me to listen to much less music (in the car anyway) once they replaced CDs and Cassettes.  It was that suddenly there was TOO MUCH music to choose from, and you had to read the screen to toggle through it.  Driving on long trips, it's much easier to just reach over & grad a CD or Cassette and pop it in without looking, and just enjoy the whole thing as it was meant to be played.  But once we had our whole music collection in one device (I still have my 2nd-Gen iPod, and it still works actually), it made it too tedious.  So, even though I'm a music composer, I actually listened to WAY more music before the iPod than after.  And I still prefer to pop in a CD in the car.  When I have my device connected, it's almost always a PODCAST or Audio Book...

...speaking of which, has anyone ever done a Wacky Packages PODCAST?  "This week in Wacky Packages... blah blah blah, and now and interview with legend checklist collector, Mark Shoemaker!"  Now sure if the listenership would be more than 100 I guess.  But I'm all about podcasts these days.  Great way to cram education into your brain during the 2 hours of totally wasted time every day (driving, waiting for stuff, and trying to sleep). 

Offline drono

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2020, 07:11:38 PM »
...speaking of which, has anyone ever done a Wacky Packages PODCAST? 

It would have to be better than Dr. Sheldon Cooper and Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler Present: Dr. Sheldon Cooper's Fun With Flags

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2020, 06:03:08 AM »
I don't mind the tax.  I'm used to buying used things locally at flea markets, auctions, thrift shops, etc., and I've always had to pay sales tax at those places.  If I was buying multi-thousand dollar items often, I would probably feel the pinch.

As for CDs, they're too much of a hassle for me these days.  I just use Pandora or Spotify on my cell phone, connected in my car via bluetooth.  I find it fascinating how I can vote on a handful of songs and Pandora finds hundreds more that I like based on those votes.  Their algorithm is impressive.

I started transferring my CDs to Google Music, as you get a free cloud license for each CD as you insert it in your PC's CD drive, but it got tedious quickly.  I'm also too lazy to build playlists from those CDs I've got on Google anyway.  I did that once 15 years ago for an iPod...scanned in 10,000 songs from my CD collection, but that was before cloud backups and phone streaming.

I don't see much point in owning DVDs or blu-rays anymore either...or video games.  Everything is more convenient in the cloud.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 03:13:19 PM »
I have had it with sales tax, and am considering not upgrading my PSA sets any further because of that added cost.  I think I am just going to save all my money for the tax I will have to pay if a Ratz ever becomes available.  That will be hundreds of dollars of taxes for a sticker that sold for about 2 cents over 50 years ago, and has probably been taxed several times in between.

Is anyone else feeling this pain?  Maybe it's just my being in New York, the State of High Taxes.  But, I am wondering if this is influencing anyone else's buying or bidding.  I also wonder what would happen if Ebay showed what the total would be with taxes BEFORE you buy something.

When I was a kid we'd go to Johnson Mall (Binghamton) and clothing was taxed and many a time the workers at Penneys or Montgomery Ward would ask why we came here/there knowing the taxes! As I got older I put the kybosh on that endeavor. As citizens we are taxed on our income five, six, seven, etc.., times over. Your income is taxed then you are taxed on almost everything you purchased with the remaining, already taxed money. Insanity! What happens is, with any hobby or purchase, you start resorting to alternative outlets.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
It is affecting my Amazon purchases.... the states are crooks to begin with - WHAT did THEY DO, to DESERVE the monies!?!?!?

NADA!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2020, 01:17:46 PM »
...Everything is more convenient in the cloud.

... until the cloud gets hacked, crashes, or the electricity goes off.  Then we'll definitely all need our Walkmans, AA batteries, and styrofoam cups w/string.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »
... until the cloud gets hacked, crashes, or the electricity goes off.  Then we'll definitely all need our Walkmans, AA batteries, and styrofoam cups w/string.

I am a fan of flash drives........

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2020, 05:02:02 PM »
Sanduck or Verbottom?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2020, 04:43:19 AM »
Sanduck or Verbottom?

I have had good luck with PUNY.

Offline quas

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2020, 04:54:16 AM »
problems in New York State?  I'm sure A.O.C. will take care of all your problems!   :great:

teehee

Let's not add politics to a sales tax thread about flash drives!  :]
Marc