Author Topic: Sales Tax - Is it resulting in you buying fewer Wackys?  (Read 9053 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Sales Tax - Is it resulting in you buying fewer Wackys?
« on: December 30, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
I have had it with sales tax, and am considering not upgrading my PSA sets any further because of that added cost.  I think I am just going to save all my money for the tax I will have to pay if a Ratz ever becomes available.  That will be hundreds of dollars of taxes for a sticker that sold for about 2 cents over 50 years ago, and has probably been taxed several times in between.

Is anyone else feeling this pain?  Maybe it's just my being in New York, the State of High Taxes.  But, I am wondering if this is influencing anyone else's buying or bidding.  I also wonder what would happen if Ebay showed what the total would be with taxes BEFORE you buy something.

Offline quas

Re: Sales Tax - Is it resulting in you buying fewer Wackys?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »
I have had it with sales tax, and am considering not upgrading my PSA sets any further because of that added cost.  I think I am just going to save all my money for the tax I will have to pay if a Ratz ever becomes available.  That will be hundreds of dollars of taxes for a sticker that sold for about 2 cents over 50 years ago, and has probably been taxed several times in between.

Is anyone else feeling this pain?  Maybe it's just my being in New York, the State of High Taxes.  But, I am wondering if this is influencing anyone else's buying or bidding.  I also wonder what would happen if Ebay showed what the total would be with taxes BEFORE you buy something.

I am feeling the pain in NJ as well.
Marc

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 05:50:54 PM »
Sales tax was inevitable. We got away with not paying it for 20+ years! Honestly, I can't believe it took that long for it to become a reality.

But, I never answered your question. No, it's not affecting my decisions on any purchases.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:53:31 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 07:18:20 PM »

A lot of people from NY folks have thrown in the towel and moved to Florida-

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »
Pat, can’t speak specifically to Wackys because I haven’t been buying much and I don’t do the whole PSA thing, but I do have some strong opinions on the eBay angle.  If a seller is offering a brand new item, like clothing or accessories, sporting equipment, sunglasses, etc, that appear new with tags/labels still attached, something I know I’d have to pay sales tax on if I bought it in a store, then fine, I wouldn’t let it affect my decision to buy something if I like the BIN price or winning bid amount.  Like the previous post stated, I’m surprised it took this long.  But for chrissake, don’t tax obviously used garage sale items, and don’t apply tax to the shipping cost!  Is that even legal?  The notion of sales tax being extracted each and every time an item changes hands over its entire life span, that’s what irks me most.  That’s government extortion at it’s finest.  Certain items are exempt, but eBay seems to be intentionally vague on what those exceptions are, and the application is inconsistent.  Sometimes the seller sends an invoice that includes a sales tax, but during PayPal checkout it disappears.  Sometimes the opposite happens.  It’s maddening to try and figure out.

Sorry for the rant.  Not sure if I answered clearly.  I would say I wouldn’t let the inclusion of tax stop me from buying on a case by case basis, but I do think it has the aggregate effect of reducing my overall buying activity somewhat.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 08:09:47 PM »
We just need to get a network together and buy directly.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:25:17 AM »
Pat, can’t speak specifically to Wackys because I haven’t been buying much and I don’t do the whole PSA thing, but I do have some strong opinions on the eBay angle.  If a seller is offering a brand new item, like clothing or accessories, sporting equipment, sunglasses, etc, that appear new with tags/labels still attached, something I know I’d have to pay sales tax on if I bought it in a store, then fine, I wouldn’t let it affect my decision to buy something if I like the BIN price or winning bid amount.  Like the previous post stated, I’m surprised it took this long.  But for chrissake, don’t tax obviously used garage sale items, and don’t apply tax to the shipping cost!  Is that even legal?  The notion of sales tax being extracted each and every time an item changes hands over its entire life span, that’s what irks me most.  That’s government extortion at it’s finest.  Certain items are exempt, but eBay seems to be intentionally vague on what those exceptions are, and the application is inconsistent.  Sometimes the seller sends an invoice that includes a sales tax, but during PayPal checkout it disappears.  Sometimes the opposite happens.  It’s maddening to try and figure out.

Sorry for the rant.  Not sure if I answered clearly.  I would say I wouldn’t let the inclusion of tax stop me from buying on a case by case basis, but I do think it has the aggregate effect of reducing my overall buying activity somewhat.

I completely agree that sales tax on brand new items is expected, and reasonable.  I've been paying that on many sites, including Amazon and Topps/Topps Vault, for years because New York law requires any company with a physical presence in the state to charge sales tax on internet (and mail order) sales being shipped to a NY address.

But used items, like you said "garage sale" items, being taxed is driving me nuts!  And I have always DESPISED paying sales tax on shipping!!!!

I brought this topic up because I was creating a snipe on Gixen a few days ago, and found myself lowering my maximum bid because I was factoring in an extra 10%. 

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:46:14 AM by RawGoo »

Offline quas

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 05:35:32 AM »
I hate the sales tax on shipping as well.  I'm guessing it was put in place to avoid the situation where someone undercharges for the item itself and then overcharges an equal amount for the shipping, to avoid sales tax on the item.  However, for reasonable shipping charges, it just feels like an insult.
Marc

Online Alexeirex

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 01:04:46 PM »
Yes I have to factor in the sales tax when I buy anything on eBay and it’s affected my spending habits on the site in general -

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »
I'm with Brian Mc on this: the sales tax addition is not really affecting my eBay purchasing decisions...with the caveat that I know I'll be shelling out a bit more due to said tax, but it is what it is. I do agree with others here that most (almost all) items have already been taxed; we shouldn't be paying sales tax more than once on the same item.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 03:20:23 PM »
Of course it is indirectly impacting everyone's buying for those who don't have unlimited funds.  Isn't an IRS tax law that you pay taxes on everything we purchase that is taxable and we are supposed to declare out of state purchases that we may not have paid tax on yet?  I am sure everyone skips that part in filing tax returns but this seems to be enforcement of that.  Is ebay keeping this money or are they passing it thru to the governments?  Would be interesting to audit that...
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »
Of course it is indirectly impacting everyone's buying for those who don't have unlimited funds.  Isn't an IRS tax law that you pay taxes on everything we purchase that is taxable and we are supposed to declare out of state purchases that we may not have paid tax on yet?  I am sure everyone skips that part in filing tax returns but this seems to be enforcement of that.  Is ebay keeping this money or are they passing it thru to the governments?  Would be interesting to audit that...
On certain PayPal transactions, payments are split between the seller (purchase + shipping) and eBay itself (sales tax), and it shows up on my credit card statement as two transactions, consistent with that.  This suggests that eBay is acting as fiduciary to ensure that the taxes are dutifully passed on to the state.  On other transactions where taxes are charged, there is no such separation, so who the hell knows what they’re doing.

For purchases within your home state where sales taxes apply, sellers are supposed to add that sales tax to the total invoice.  Some do, some don’t.  This policy goes back as far as I can remember with eBay.  I remember certain sellers within NY who were consistently diligent on charging sales tax would add the line “please understand that we don’t charge sales tax, we only collect it.”  All of which adds to the intrigue of Ernie’s last point.  Does the IRS even have the resources to audit an entity that probably processes millions of transactions in a single week?  Good luck with that.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 04:06:23 AM »
This has never bothered me specifically.

I could be incorrect, but from a couple minutes of research, it seems as though New York’s sales tax is less than Pennsylvania’s.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 04:09:42 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 09:52:29 AM »
This has never bothered me specifically.

I could be incorrect, but from a couple minutes of research, it seems as though New York’s sales tax is less than Pennsylvania’s.

I pay 8.625%.  When I'm looking at expensive items, it adds up!

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 01:06:18 PM »
Personally sales tax and/or shipping costs play a huge part in my online purchase decisions. Like everything I buy, I'm looking for the lowest possible cost.

I stopped buying from Amazon several years ago when they started charging tax. The only reason I visit their site is to read product reviews. And I can almost always find the same item on ebay for less and almost always with no tax and free shipping.

Currently ebay charges sales tax when the buyer's state or the seller is required to collect it per this article from ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=3&pos=3&query=Paying%20tax%20on%20eBay%20purchases&intent=sales%20tax&context=DEFAULT_BUYER&lucenceai=lucenceai

I know the supreme court ruled last year that states can now charge sales tax on internet sales and it will probably only be a matter of time before all of them do, but currently not all states require it. I live in TN and currently they only require sales tax on internet purchases made when the seller is also located in TN. And ebay seems to be abiding by this as I never pay sales tax on ebay. Sometimes the seller wants to charge it, but when I see this prior to confirming payment, I cancel the order and buy from someone else who is not charging tax.

IMO, two of the best reasons to buy online is no tax and free shipping. And yes, I also agree with the other comments that used items should not be taxed at all. It's crazy when you stop to think, we're taxed on earnings and then when you buy something with that already taxed money, we're taxed again for sales tax. Then when/if we decide to sell that item, sales tax is charged again. Insane.

Up until the SCOTUS decision, internet sales were mostly treated like mail order or phone sales-you were only required to pay tax if the seller was located in the same state as the buyer. Now it's just going to be a bigger, more confusing mess as many cities and counties have different tax rates than the states do.

It already appears to be confusing to some companies as to whether or not to charge sales tax. Ebay seems to have got it right so far, but I've had other companies want to charge me sales tax when they never did before. When I contacted one recently and told them TN does not require sales tax on internet sales, they told me it was now their 'policy' to charge everyone sales tax since they were unsure which states require it. I'm now buying those items on ebay tax free.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:10:02 PM by g.u.e.s.t. »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 01:07:35 PM »
Just bought a used CD on eBay.  Winning bid $0.99 plus $2.75 shipping.  Can’t do much better than that, right?  Then during PayPal checkout sales tax is added.  Not $0.09 on the bid price, but $0.32 on the total with shipping.  Oh, and the CD is from 1990.  This hits on all the points previously mentioned.  Of course I also feel a bit stupid for still buying CDs in the first place, but that’s a separate discussion.
 :sad:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 02:17:26 PM »
Of course I also feel a bit stupid for still buying CDs in the first place, but that’s a separate discussion.

I still use CDs too   :-[

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
I also feel a bit stupid for still buying CDs in the first place
Don’t. There are things out there that just aren’t (easily) found as a digital download. I just purchased a CD from the UK to get a song I was hunting for, that was not available any other way.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 03:09:00 PM »
Just bought a used CD on eBay.  Winning bid $0.99 plus $2.75 shipping.  Can’t do much better than that, right?  Then during PayPal checkout sales tax is added.  Not $0.09 on the bid price, but $0.32 on the total with shipping.  Oh, and the CD is from 1990.  This hits on all the points previously mentioned.  Of course I also feel a bit stupid for still buying CDs in the first place, but that’s a separate discussion.

On a related rant, it has bothered me to buy the same music in different formats. I've purchase some songs 3 or 4 times, first on vinyl, then on cassette tape and/or CD and more recently digitally. Thankfully, I never owned an 8-track player!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 04:54:25 PM »
I love CDs, unfortunately my new car has no CD player and that’s where I have the most time to listen to music. So I’m stuck with Satellite radio 😕

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
ironically, I had the same problem when I got a new car a few months back, no cd player, not even an option.

I found a company that makes them, as long as you have a USB port (specifically, a c-port).  I mounted it
in my console, works like a charm. 

If you want, send me a PM and I'll get you the details. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 07:44:52 PM »
I still use my large music CD collection. And occasionally buy a CD from the 99 cent bargain bins at the local record store. Obscure and out of print stuff.

Two years ago I purchased a CD boom box for work, so I could listen to my favorite talk radio show and also so I could hear some downtempo music on CD during my lunch hour. The boom box from Target didn't carry AM stations (only FM) so I couldn't listen to my radio talk show. And it didn't have a headphone jack, so I couldn't use the nice Bose headphones my brother bought me. The boom box was for blue-tooth only headphones . . . there's my old man grumble

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
Don’t. There are things out there that just aren’t (easily) found as a digital download. I just purchased a CD from the UK to get a song I was hunting for, that was not available any other way.
Thanks for the encouragement.  Same can even be said for songs (mostly artists who were one-and-done) that went no further than vinyl.   I guess I have to remind myself that most people who would poo-poo the notion of continued CD use and purchasing are probably not serious music enthusiasts in the first place.  I haven’t really jumped into the iTunes pool, but I’ve noticed your point really proves out in the video market as well.  If Netflix is the final frontier for all movies and TV shows, why is it not a comprehensive library of all content imaginable, for perpetuity?  Instead, I see recurring headlines about programming that is “coming to Netflix”, much of which is dated material being made available for the first time, as well as programming that is being removed from Netflix.  Sounds like a complete crapshoot that you’ll find something specific you’re looking for.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 04:48:48 AM »
I still treasure my Panasonic stereo rack system (it even has tower speakers  :-[).  When I bought it in 1989, the turntable was included, and the CD player had to be purchased as a separate option.  At least the cabinet had a separate shelf for it!

Funny you should mention Netflix - there was a full page article in my paper this morning about "Friends" no longer being available there.

Offline Kook

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 07:35:58 AM »
"there was a full page article in my paper this morning..."

I suppose that could be the beginning of another, similar thread ;)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 08:44:15 AM »
I love CDs, unfortunately my new car has no CD player
OK, I'm gonna go here: What kind of cell phone do you have? Can't you store music on it and play it thru your car stereo?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »
I suppose that could be the beginning of another, similar thread ;)

Yes, I admit it, I am a dinosaur.  I get the paper delivered every day.  I usually have read it on my laptop before it arrives, but I love the puzzles (I need to do those on paper), and print subscribers also get special inserts like monthly puzzle magazines and occasional reprints of old issues, like the Moon landing, etc.  I sometimes save enough money using the special store coupons to pay for the newspaper.

Also, there are frequently articles about topics/projects that are relevant to my job, and it's good to put hard copies of the print version in the files.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:24:57 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 10:58:13 AM »
OK, I'm gonna go here: What kind of cell phone do you have? Can't you store music on it and play it thru your car stereo?

Yes, I could, if I had any familiarity with that. But downloading every CD I own onto my phone seems a bit overwhelming.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2020, 12:01:04 PM »
Yes, I could, if I had any familiarity with that. But downloading every CD I own onto my phone seems a bit overwhelming.
Agreed.  Although it’s easy enough to use iTunes for new acquisitions, the task of ripping your entire CD collection (200+ in my case) to mp3s or whatever type of files is daunting to say the least. 

Offline Kook

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
Yes, I admit it, I am a dinosaur.  I get the paper delivered every day.  I usually have read it on my laptop before it arrives, but I love the puzzles (I need to do those on paper), and print subscribers also get special inserts like monthly puzzle magazines and occasional reprints of old issues, like the Moon landing, etc.  I sometimes save enough money using the special store coupons to pay for the newspaper.

Also, there are frequently articles about topics/projects that are relevant to my job, and it's good to put hard copies of the print version in the files.

I'm all for whatever works. I was not looking to push toward a newer news delivery format, just making a "Seinfeld type" observation.

I still like my windows desktop with my multi-monitor setup, though everyone seems to be doing everything from graphic design to their taxes on their phone. These old eyes can't stand using a phone for anything that can be done on a desktop. I'll also take my mouse over a touchpad any day of the week.

I was also shocked when I saw my mom's bill for her newspaper subscription. She gets the paper delivered every day. Her renewal this past August was $320 for the year. The previous year was around $190, and the year before that was about $140. I tried to call to get her a better deal, but that wasn't even on their radar. I guess either they figure they got ya if you are willing to pay anywhere near that price so they play hardball, or they are teetering on bankruptcy and if they don't get their price they will die, or some combination.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:30:56 PM by Kook »

Offline Kook

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2020, 12:30:19 PM »

It really isn't that bad. I had about 300 CDs and ripped most of them to mp3s over a snowy weekend about 20 years ago. I find dealing with mp3s so much easier than songs that are digitally locked. From what I remember, there were 2 pieces of software that made the job easy - I can't recall the software I used to rip the cds, but I think the program that made all the difference was called Gracenote. Not sure if it's still around, but it would automatically recognize the signature of the CD as soon as I put it in the drive, and it would download the album artwork and name all the tracks from its database. I think the database was a shared effort so if you had an album that wasn't recognized, you could name the album and tracks & upload for the next person. I don't recall coming across any albums of mine that weren't recognized. I would drop the CD in, gracenote would name everything, the other software would rip and place each album in a folder and I would drop the next one in. After that, all I had to do was import all those files into iTunes with a few clicks and I could make playlists for my phone easily or use the mp3s anywhere else. Nice thing is, you only have to do something like that once.

Back then, Napster made it really easy to pick up pretty much any mp3 you wanted. It's not as much like the wild west anymore as it was back then.

I also saw this on ebay - a Bluetooth audio transmitter. Plug it into your audio out of your portable CD player, and pair it to your car. No need for the iPhone or to digitize your CDs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-5-0-Transmitter-Receiver-2-IN-1-Wireless-Audio-3-5mm-Jack-Aux-Adapter/193258913124

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-5-0-Transmitter-Audio-BT400-Wireless-Adapter-3-5mm-Jack-A2DP-TV-Stereo/114012089080?hash=item1a8ba66af8:g:7uAAAOSw3d9eBKAU
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:42:52 PM by Kook »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
I would drop the CD in, gracenote would name everything, the other software would rip and place each album in a folder and I would drop the next one in. After that, all I had to do was import all those files into iTunes with a few clicks and I could make playlists for my phone easily or use the mp3s anywhere else.
iTunes will recognize and name everything for you, when you import directly to it, so that's one less step.
Importing is very easy these days and with disc reading at 12x or so, a fairly quick process.
It's really only a chore if the database was loaded with info you don't agree with, e.g. an album being classified as 'New Age' instead of 'Electronica'

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »
And I have always DESPISED paying sales tax on shipping!!!!

and back on topic - I was listing an item today and noticed that there is a checkbox for whether sales tax should be added on to the shipping cost.
for me this was defaulted with no check mark.
So it may be that these sellers are intentionally select that option. And totally agree, you should not be taxed for the service aspect, just the item itself

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2020, 07:12:16 PM »
and back on topic - I was listing an item today and noticed that there is a checkbox for whether sales tax should be added on to the shipping cost.
for me this was defaulted with no check mark.
So it may be that these sellers are intentionally select that option. And totally agree, you should not be taxed for the service aspect, just the item itself
Earlier today I got an invoice from the seller in which sales tax was only applied to the bid price, only to see during PayPal checkout that the sales tax was higher, calculated against bid plus shipping. And this occurred by clicking on the checkout link in the email, not by checking out from the auction page link.  So what appeared to be seller’s discretion was apparently overruled by eBay/PayPal.  But why would ebay/PayPal even allow the “erroneous” invoice to be sent if they didn’t agree with it?  It’s really the Wild West with this whole issue.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 08:19:53 AM »

Not at all. I still use and love CD's.

anything