Author Topic: OS8 and Topps can KISS MY ARSE!  (Read 12369 times)

Offline vahsurfer

OS8 and Topps can KISS MY ARSE!
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:09:37 PM »
Good Wacky evening all!

Tonight was supposed to be a early Christmas / Hanukah for many of us until we all chocked on the price for the set.  I am not hear to debate the price, Facebook had plenty of fodder for that in the WP groups already!!!!

I placed my order and applied my $40 in earned rewards and the well maintained Topps Site (hahahahahahaha) told me to go F-Myself!

They, as usual, have done a HORRIBLE job of having the correct links and categories for our beloved product.  SHAME ON YOU TOPPS!!! SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always tried to remain positive and supportive of the brand despite their apparent attempt to make us a step child within their branding of products! ( No binders, again...... Yes I will be doing a new one!!!!)

So here is my Support Request / E-Mail I sent them just now after my order was placed:

YES! I AM IN ALL CAPS AND LIVID!!!!!!!!
I used code SW40-4U22-IYG5-AM3U for $40 off my FREAKING $1500 ORDER for the OVERPRICED Wacky Packages Old School 8 Set x 10.

It says that is INVALID!

PLEASE CREDIT my PayPal Account $40 and confirm this is being done - I legally earned the $40 and your system, for what ever reason and I do not care, DID NOT APPLY IT!

Your company has done a VERY POOR JOB of even getting the web site correct with Wacky Packages, at the very least if you are going to charge exorbitant prices, at least make the site and the discount codes work!

Richard
#StayWacky

Your thoughts ... talk among-st yourselves - I am sooooo flahklempt here on Coffee Talk!

Dave??????

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: OS8 and Topps can KISS MY ARSE!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:23:55 PM »
I have zero to do with anything regarding Topps when it comes to their websites and sales. Totally agree that if you have a $40 credit you should get that. I don't know if writing a nice letter first or a scolding one is the answer. I guess you will find out soon!

I'm assuming there is no category for WP because they don't have anything permanent ever to put in it. A few one week sets a year is all we have right now.

There is an anger over WP lately that, to me, seems misguided. There is no retail set because the sets were not selling enough to make more. The only option for continuation of the brand is online. Online will only attract a very focused specific group so the costs will be higher. The set this time is exactly the same price as the last two sets so it should not be a surprise. And the set is only overpriced from a specific viewpoint. Consider:

An OLDS box at $75 got you a full set, some duplicates, some of the Luds and alternate backs and one sketch card plus a display box.

This set (and the previous 2) at $150 gets you a full set, no dupes, some of the Luds and alternate backs, half the rough cards and 3 sketch cards plus a pack card (for this set going forward).

The $150 price is scarier than the $75 to anyone that simply wants a base set. For people that want sketch cards the $150 set is the better value as you get one more sketch card at equal the price of two boxes.

So for sketch collectors and dealers the better value in the long run is this set. For the base collector and people on a tighter budget the old pricing was better.

There are two ways to collect this set. If you want a base and don't want the bells and whistles you just wait it out and pick up the base on Ebay or from another collector/ dealer that bought multiples. You'll get a set at a solid fair price comparable to most any other trading card set. Problem solved. If you want the bells and whistles or are into sketches you get the better deal with this anyway. If you are a dealer you get three sketch cards which, if you get good ones, may pay off the entire cost and you may even make more money than you paid. I bought 5 sets last year myself and sold off the sketch cards and my dupes and made money and got the base sets I wanted for free that way. And last years set had some questionable sketch cards. This set has WAY better sketch cards and artists. And sketch cards a a HUGE key to any of these online sets (and even to retail). I pushed for stringer artists this time around and will continue to request and push for the best ones as I know they are important to selling the sets. At worst you'd break even on buying a set and get your money back. I see the pricing as extremely fair BUT I see how anyone on a tight budget would not like, or be able to afford the initial price offering. Unfortunately, online is the only Wacky option at this time and this is the structure. Trust me, when they first decided to continue without the packs and boxes and showed me the selling plan and prices it was insanely worse. It made no sense and would have cost people hundreds and into the thousands to collect it. Made no sense. I protested, made suggestions and this was the best option for what they wanted to include.

Again, same scenario as last year and the year before that. As always, hopefully it will sell enough to keep it going. I have a lot of fun making it and I think everyone at least seems to like the cards if not the presentation and pricing. There have been a lot of positive changes to the GPK brand over the past year and I know we are going to try to get Wackys back up on their feet as well but expect that to only be online. I'll push for some more changes for the next set, will try to get boxes or packs or binders if at all possible. Hopefully we will get to do more this year.

On a side note, I also saw people complaining about GPK getting all the licensing. The fact is that brand has characters that lend themselves to licensing better. They don't have to worry about pissing off the company they are spoofing. Taking the Wacky character off the packing for a license just makes it a goofy character without context. And none of them without their packaging are as iconic as Adam Bomb. remember with GPK the character is the main thing and WP it's the gag.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »
If that is a coupon code that you redeemed using their Topps reward points, you will soon be told that those coupon codes are *only* good for “Topps Now” cards, and nothing else.
Sucks that redemption is so narrowly restricted to the 24 hour, mostly baseball, cards and can’t be used on the majority of their site items.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
I can't help but think Topps is missing an opportunity here by only offering the complete take-it or leave-it set. The goal of selling online should be to get customers and potential customers to visit the sight often. They should be focused on keeping their base WP fans happy and by growing the business.
This can be done by offering the base set or even individual cards. Think kids on a limited budget. Not everyone wants the extras or can afford them. A cheaper option allows customers to buy directly from Topps instead of buying in the aftermarket. When folks visit the website they may see other items that interest them, baseball cards, or whatever. This is what grows the business-giving people a reason to visit your store and coming back for more. IMO, they should offer a base set, a parallel set, sketch card set, pencil set all as separate sets. Even individual cards starting at say $1 each. (They offer the political stuff at $9.99 each). And also offer the mega set a little cheaper as opposed to piecing it together as an incentive to buy the whole set. This way, folks have a choice to buy what they like and can afford at the time of purchase. Maybe some would buy at separate times and see something else they want on each visit. The philosophy is really not any different than a visit to a brick and mortar store. How many times do we just go in to browse or just for one or two things and end up buying more than you planned on? It's called impulse buying and we all do it. The goal of any business should be to have customers return often. Each and every visit, even online, is an opportunity for more sales. And burying WP and making them hard to find on the sight doesn't help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:11:59 PM by g.u.e.s.t. »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
I can't help but think Topps is missing an opportunity here by only offering the complete take-it or leave-it set. The goal of selling online should be to get customers and potential customers to visit the sight often. They should be focused on keeping their base WP fans happy and by growing the business.
This can be done by offering the base set or even individual cards. Think kids on a limited budget. Not everyone wants the extras or can afford them. A cheaper option allows customers to buy directly from Topps instead of buying in the aftermarket. When folks visit the website they may see other items that interest them, baseball cards, or whatever. This is what grows the business-giving people a reason to visit your store and coming back for more. IMO, they should offer a base set, a parallel set, sketch card set, pencil set all as separate sets. Even individual cards starting at say $1 each. (They offer the political stuff at $9.99 each). And also offer the mega set a little cheaper as opposed to piecing it together as an incentive to buy the whole set. This way, folks have a choice to buy what they like and can afford at the time of purchase. Maybe some would buy at separate times and see something else they want on each visit. The philosophy is really not any different than a visit to a brick and mortar store. How many times do we just go in to browse or just for one or two things and end up buying more than you planned on? It's called impulse buying and we all do it. The goal of any business should be to have customers return often. Each and every visit, even online, is an opportunity for more sales. And burying WP and making them hard to find on the sight doesn't help.

I sent them an email today listing all complaints and a host of solutions I came up with. Lots of options. The system for selling the cards worked fine for them the last two series so they went with it again and it may work fine this time. I agree with some of your points though. They need to make it easier for people of fixed budget or have casual interest to get a cheaper version of the set however. Example being I posted the image on my Instagram and the site. Some people that are not WP collectors saw it and responded positively until they saw it would be $150 so they passed. You'd want to get these passerby and nostalgia people along with the collectors to buy sets. But you also have to consider the people that do like parallels and sketch cards and all that other stuff. That set has to be a better financial value than a base set and it has to be appetizing It's expensive to make the sets so they need to sell a lot of them to make some money. They don't make a fortune on these. Selling a base set option has to be more money per card than the bells and whistles set for it to work. Plus they absolutely have to make sure they get only really good quality sketch card artists working on these online sets. That's a draw for the collectors and the dealers. I have some really good ideas but I don;t want to post them here since I just sent them to Topps for review.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:50:57 PM »
Dave and Patrick, thanks in advance for your thoughtful and detailed responses!

The Mic Ultra and being ripped off for $40 got my WackyDanderUP!

Patrick if you are correct then WHO CARES! - No offense to the baseball folks, but I but WPs, why in the world would I want baseball, football, hockey or anything else.... SMDH if true.

Dave - No big issues with the price in that I am in business for myself and I understand the risks of producing an item and then loosing money .... so......why not kickstarter it!?

This way if you want a base set - $
Tans, Red and Black Luds.... pencils.... $$
Puzzle $
Sketch Cards BW $ - Colors $$

NO RISK if the goal is not met and if exceeded - Every Wacky Wins!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline drono

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 04:47:44 AM »
There are two ways to collect this set. If you want a base and don't want the bells and whistles you just wait it out and pick up the base on Ebay or from another collector/ dealer that bought multiples. You'll get a set at a solid fair price comparable to most any other trading card set. Problem solved.

It seems like the members of this forum could solve this issue just like we did with the bulk pricing for the On Demand sets.  I only care about a base set because it's just too darn expensive to try and get a complete set of anything else.  There are probably more here like me, so one of the members of the forum - maybe Richard knowing that he was going to buy 10 sets to get everything (hopefully Topps will collate it for you) - could have put out his own offer to us.  Something like "Hey look guys, I'm buying 10 sets and only want one base, so that leaves me with 9 extras.  Who would be interested in sending me $50 via PayPal for one of these base sets, and I'll keep all the extras?"  That way instead of fronting the entire $1,500 and then trying to sell them somewhere, he collects $450 up front and guarantees to unload the base sets.  Nine of us win because we each saved $100 and got what we wanted.

BTW Richard, if you need any of the extras, let me know.  I already bought one set and will have a few.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:52:21 AM by drono »

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 05:30:45 AM »
Thanks for your reply Dave. Much appreciated. And thank you also for passing some ideas on to Topps. It will be interesting to see what they are and what options they come up with going forward. Your comment of people showing interest on Instagram but passing due to the cost is a very good point.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 05:36:26 AM »
It seems like the members of this forum could solve this issue just like we did with the bulk pricing for the On Demand sets.  I only care about a base set because it's just too darn expensive to try and get a complete set of anything else.  There are probably more here like me, so one of the members of the forum - maybe Richard knowing that he was going to buy 10 sets to get everything (hopefully Topps will collate it for you) - could have put out his own offer to us.  Something like "Hey look guys, I'm buying 10 sets and only want one base, so that leaves me with 9 extras.  Who would be interested in sending me $50 via PayPal for one of these base sets, and I'll keep all the extras?"  That way instead of fronting the entire $1,500 and then trying to sell them somewhere, he collects $450 up front and guarantees to unload the base sets.  Nine of us win because we each saved $100 and got what we wanted.

BTW Richard, if you need any of the extras, let me know.  I already bought one set and will have a few.

That's exactly what I'm doing.  I will also be able to help people who also want the pencil set.  I'll order more from Topps if enough people are interested and let me know in time!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 08:21:07 AM »
Let the Great Trade Begin!

Richard
#StayWacky
#KickStarterIsTheAnswer
#SlamJimRocks

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 09:04:02 AM »
I have to agree with Richard. Maybe the best thing for Topps to do licence Wacky Packages to Sidekick printing and let them do a Kickstarter. This format would satisfy all serious and casual fans. You could also get display boxes and maybe even wax packs. You could by a small base set or the full package with variants, sketch cards, printing plates etc.

If any of you participated in the Funny Fiends Kickstarter and have received your set. It is amazing and you can see the level of quality that can be made.

To be honest was anyone really happy with the past 3 retail level sets? MLB, 50th and movies. I feel they strayed away from what Wacky Packages are meant to be. Even most of the online presidential stuff really wasn’t that great. Maybe the best thing Topps can do is stay focused on GPK and leave the Wacky Packages to the artists that truly care about the sets.

The other thing to do is also support Kickstarter projects like the upcoming Mars Attacks set. This is a Topps licenced to sidekick project and is a good way to show Topps and sidekick that they have a large fanbase. We all like the Attacky Packages done by Neil and you know it will be part of this set!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »
The other thing to do is also support Kickstarter projects like the upcoming Mars Attacks set. This is a Topps licenced to sidekick project and is a good way to show Topps and sidekick that they have a large fanbase. We all like the Attacky Packages done by Neil and you know it will be part of this set!

To the best of my knowledge, there is no sure word yet whether there will be Attacky Packages in the new Mars set.  If not, I'll maybe go for a base set, which is significantly less than what I bought last time.  I kind of really overdid it  :-[

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 12:15:06 PM »
Patrick if you are correct then WHO CARES! - No offense to the baseball folks, but I but WPs, why in the world would I want baseball, football, hockey or anything else.... SMDH if true.

Richard
#StayWacky
yeah, I learned this one the hard way as well, trying to apply the coupon discount to wackys a couple years back.
down in the fine print it says:  Rewards may only be redeemed for Topps Now® products available on www.topps.com unless expressly authorized by Topps.
lame
I've resorted to buying baseball cards each fall and trying to sell them on ebay at cost as a way to recoup the "rewards" money

Offline drono

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 01:35:46 PM »
That's exactly what I'm doing.  I will also be able to help people who also want the pencil set.  I'll order more from Topps if enough people are interested and let me know in time!

I wish I had known.  I wouldn't have bought a set from Topps and would have just gotten a base set from you.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »
I wish I had known.  I wouldn't have bought a set from Topps and would have just gotten a base set from you.

Sorry, I thought everyone knew.  I did the same thing for Old School 6 and 7.  I am fortunate to have enough ready cash to front the purchases; unfortunately, I do end up with leftovers.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 08:07:53 PM »
I sent them an email today listing all complaints and a host of solutions I came up with. Lots of options. The system for selling the cards worked fine for them the last two series so they went with it again and it may work fine this time. I agree with some of your points though. They need to make it easier for people of fixed budget or have casual interest to get a cheaper version of the set however. Example being I posted the image on my Instagram and the site. Some people that are not WP collectors saw it and responded positively until they saw it would be $150 so they passed. You'd want to get these passerby and nostalgia people along with the collectors to buy sets. But you also have to consider the people that do like parallels and sketch cards and all that other stuff. That set has to be a better financial value than a base set and it has to be appetizing It's expensive to make the sets so they need to sell a lot of them to make some money. They don't make a fortune on these. Selling a base set option has to be more money per card than the bells and whistles set for it to work. Plus they absolutely have to make sure they get only really good quality sketch card artists working on these online sets. That's a draw for the collectors and the dealers. I have some really good ideas but I don;t want to post them here since I just sent them to Topps for review.

Thanks, Dave, for speaking up for us collectors.  I am, for the first time, considering (and leaning towards) simply buying a base set down the road.  Hate to say that, but $150 is just more than I care to spend at this point when I'm mostly just interested in the base set.  Dave's work is awesome and I certainly won't miss out on the set, but, if nothing else, Topps should at least have a few viable options/price points for the set (and not that useless 1/3 set thing they've had in the past). 

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 10:18:03 PM »
Consider:

"An OLDS box at $75 got you a full set, some duplicates, some of the Luds and alternate backs and one sketch card plus a display box."

This quote does not hold water.

"$150 a set is a hard pill to swallow for 1 set. Kind of really sucks that you cant get a set of cards and a sketch for $50. When just a few years ago we got, boxes, box toppers, wrappers, puzzles, 5x7's, promos, sketches, printing plates(a chance at), tan backs, white backs, ludlows, 2 sets of cards(plus). All for $50 or less...presales were $45. I still don't get it?????  Brought to you by Ben Dover!"

This one does.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:47:04 AM by koduck »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 08:30:36 AM »
                                                                                           CALL MY ATTORNEY <> JACK SCHITT …… …… ……
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline chipereno

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 04:20:56 PM »
Sorry, haven't been into the Old School since Topps pulled the plug on letting me print them.
Are these die cut stickers still or just cards stock or sticker stock with no kiss cut?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 04:38:48 PM »
Sorry, haven't been into the Old School since Topps pulled the plug on letting me print them.
Are these die cut stickers still or just cards stock or sticker stock with no kiss cut?
I need to talk to you again...

Offline chipereno

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 04:49:35 PM »
PM me
Let me know what you're thinking!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
hey Chip, you need to stay away from that Grain Belt Beer! It's giving you hallucinations! :]

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »
Thanks, Dave, for speaking up for us collectors.  I am, for the first time, considering (and leaning towards) simply buying a base set down the road.  Hate to say that, but $150 is just more than I care to spend at this point when I'm mostly just interested in the base set.  Dave's work is awesome and I certainly won't miss out on the set, but, if nothing else, Topps should at least have a few viable options/price points for the set (and not that useless 1/3 set thing they've had in the past).

I want to 2nd that "Thanks" to Dave, as it's really cool to have some collector/artist advocates on the inside who are trying to do quality work and improve the machine that cranks them out.  For me, it's not even the price.  It's that it's not "collecting" anymore if it's gotten to the model of just sending in $ for a set, basically.  The Halloween and special issue stuff is different as those are kind of 'bonus' material specially generated for collectors.  But the only reason I bought any ANS stuff at all was that I could go to Target or Walmart and grab a handful of packs, just like the old days, and HOPE to make a set.  Neither of the 2 ends of the NEW spectrum (i.e. buying a base set outright or having to shell out $1000's for multiple cases to get all the chases) satisfy that primal, "collector" rush.

I know this option is not at all ideal, but seems to speak to both the current state of Wacky Packages and current model of doing business:  What about the "subscription model"?  Collectors sign up for a Wacky Packages subscription and are sent boxes or packs as they come out, automatically, based on their individual monthly financial situations, content interests, etc.  So, it's not all at once in a mad frenzy to open 6 cases to find a gold foil 'Pizza Butt' sticker (...just made that one up... I want 10%).  And it's a cool, unexpected surprise as sets come out.  And it doesn't break anyone's bank.  You could have "tiers".  Pack-a-month, box-a-month, case-a-month, and "The Macalusa" (miss that guy).  Maybe a "Shoemaker Checklists-Only" subscription, too.  (heh... sorry Shoe).  Link it in with Scamazon Prime (again... 10%) and free shipping, and it's like Wacky Xmas every month!

(If "Pizza Butt" and "Scamazon Prime" are already ANS Wackys or Coupon-backs, I relinquish my 10%... I can probably count the ANS titles I remember anymore on one foot).  ("Pizza Butt" used to match the Subject of this thread, of course.)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »
What are the only 5 ANS Wackys you can remember (one foot's worth)?  I can recall many stellar examples.

Offline Dead

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 06:42:43 AM »
So retail is officially dead?  I have to wonder, did the last three sets kill it?  Or were there plans to kill it as a result of the sales of the 2014-era sets, and the most recent 3 abominations - er, sets - were a one-last-try at making retail Wackies a viable concern?

Regardless, it’s very sad.  I’m also one of those collectors who got the biggest thrill by buying them at Target and Walmart.  Getting OS boxes online was an acceptable replacement, but this business of spending more than a hundred on a one-and-done set just sucks.  F the sketch cards, I want my packs back!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »
Not only Walmart and Target, but Toys R Us as well. Those were the Big Three stores for Wackys during the ANS run (which, as far as I'm concerned, also includes 2014 S1 and 2015 S1 (which are basically nothing more than ANS12 and ANS13 (why Topps didn't just call both of them by those names I have no idea whatsoever))).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:23:00 PM by mikecho »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »
What are the only 5 ANS Wackys you can remember (one foot's worth)?  I can recall many stellar examples.

...hmmm,...

Goodbye Kitty - ...because bashing that horrible character is almost as cool as seeing Barney get elbowed by Charles Barclay.
Tantrum - ...because I think some of my gag/design made it to that sticker... I'd sent a stack of roughs to Dave, and he'd come up with some of the same ideas already.  I'd always wanted to get a Wacky rough accepted, so this was the closest thing for me.
Hairy Comb - because although boogers and poop are yucky, there's nothing worse than hair in food.
Choperation - can't get those visuals out of your mind.
• ... ... (?) ...

(I think I'm going to have to chop off a toe)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 04:07:52 AM »
...hmmm,...

Goodbye Kitty - ...because bashing that horrible character is almost as cool as seeing Barney get elbowed by Charles Barclay.
Tantrum - ...because I think some of my gag/design made it to that sticker... I'd sent a stack of roughs to Dave, and he'd come up with some of the same ideas already.  I'd always wanted to get a Wacky rough accepted, so this was the closest thing for me.
Hairy Comb - because although boogers and poop are yucky, there's nothing worse than hair in food.
Choperation - can't get those visuals out of your mind.
• ... ... (?) ...

(I think I'm going to have to chop off a toe)

How about these:
I Can't Believe It's Not Better
Mallowmartians
Philosophical Dream Cheese
Miracle Growl
Polar Spring

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 06:08:50 AM »
So retail is officially dead?  I have to wonder, did the last three sets kill it?  Or were there plans to kill it as a result of the sales of the 2014-era sets, and the most recent 3 abominations - er, sets - were a one-last-try at making retail Wackies a viable concern?

Regardless, it’s very sad.  I’m also one of those collectors who got the biggest thrill by buying them at Target and Walmart.  Getting OS boxes online was an acceptable replacement, but this business of spending more than a hundred on a one-and-done set just sucks.  F the sketch cards, I want my packs back!

Dead for now. It was not selling well as just ANS so the last three were attempts to pair it up with something popular and see if it could work. GPK had been doing themed sets and selling well as a result. Didn't work for Wacky Packages though. A lot of the blame has to go to using one particular artist that was doing a 1/3rd to sometimes close to half a set and had no business producing artwork for it or anything else. Almost solely brought down WP and GPK.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2019, 06:14:31 AM »
How about these:
Mallowmartians
Miracle Growl
Polar Spring

And these:
Sicken McSluggets
Who Cares Bears
Grape Newts
Dungeon Doughnuts
Strawberry Shortfuse - Girl got attitude!

Offline CaseyRob

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2019, 06:53:54 AM »
Dead for now. It was not selling well as just ANS so the last three were attempts to pair it up with something popular and see if it could work. GPK had been doing themed sets and selling well as a result. Didn't work for Wacky Packages though. A lot of the blame has to go to using one particular artist that was doing a 1/3rd to sometimes close to half a set and had no business producing artwork for it or anything else. Almost solely brought down WP and GPK.

I have my guess as to who this is. If it's who I think it is, I never understood why they kept bringing them back. Will they ever get rid of this artist? (Or maybe they have & I didn't realize it because I stopped buying GPK years ago.)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »
I have my guess as to who this is. If it's who I think it is, I never understood why they kept bringing them back. Will they ever get rid of this artist? (Or maybe they have & I didn't realize it because I stopped buying GPK years ago.)
Or to paraphrase the words of King Henry II of England "Will no one rid us of this turbulent artist?"

Personally, though, I don't know what this is all about; I don't want to know what this is all about. I just want to enjoy the Wackiness while it's here, because we all know that it could go away at any time. I'm just glad that the ANS run lasted as long as it did (just three series less than the OS run (I'm counting 2014 S1 and 2015 S1 as ANS12 and ANS13, which is basically what they are anyway (see Reply #27 above)).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 09:21:59 AM by mikecho »

Offline CaseyRob

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2019, 09:53:35 AM »
Or to paraphrase the words of King Henry II of England "Will no one rid us of this turbulent artist?"

Personally, though, I don't know what this is all about; I don't want to know what this is all about. I just want to enjoy the Wackiness while it's here, because we all know that it could go away at any time. I'm just glad that the ANS run lasted as long as it did (just three series less than the OS run (I'm counting 2014 S1 and 2015 S1 as ANS12 and ANS13, which is basically what they are anyway (see Reply #27 above)).

I can't get behind that sentiment. I'm glad Dave is doing the OS series... but when it comes to she-who-I'm-not-going-to-name, zero Wackies and GPK would be preferable to having to ever see her art again. What good is having a brand around if they're ruining it?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2019, 09:59:42 AM »
How about these:
Mallowmartians
Miracle Growl
Polar Spring
This should be a thread all of its own.  Without looking, the ANS titles I remember well are:

Sneakers
Coca-Cobra
Cannibal's Soup
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

anything