Author Topic: WP Old School 8 (w/ Spoilers)  (Read 58237 times)

Offline MoldRush

Re: WP Old School 8 (w/ Spoilers)
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2019, 04:50:01 PM »
I've never seen that product before - that would make a nice Wacky!
For a while they were all the rage as a movie theatre treat, I guess by turning ice cream into a finger food, that appealed to some.  Didn’t make as much sense for home consumption, as the old bowl-and-spoon model still worked fine.  I thought they were way overrated.  And these dippin’ dots you see now at malls and vending machines are beyond silly.

Online drono

« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2019, 06:23:46 PM »
For a while they were all the rage as a movie theatre treat, I guess by turning ice cream into a finger food, that appealed to some.  Didn’t make as much sense for home consumption, as the old bowl-and-spoon model still worked fine.  I thought they were way overrated.  And these dippin’ dots you see now at malls and vending machines are beyond silly.

I remember this commercial because I used to put my kids up on my shoulders too.  I never let them eat ice cream while they were up there though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B5vcpGdunI

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2019, 12:24:27 AM »
My boxes are still in transit!!!
A

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2019, 12:34:41 AM »
My boxes are still in transit!!!
A

Ugh!!  That's torture!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
You're telling me?

I subscribe to a quarterly Godzilla magazine called G-Fan and the wait between each issue is murder!

The funny thing is it was originally bimonthly.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2019, 12:19:25 PM »
Ok, after looking over the set finally (I avoided spoilers) I unfortunately have to rate this as one of the, if not the, weakest old school releases.   :sad:

Why do I say that?  Don't get me wrong, there are some winners included, but overall this is a fail for me, especially for the price.  I know this won't be a popular post, but wanted to express my opinion on the set.

No beer?  Why not? California Ghouler - why is bottle so small? In fact, most of the stickers have too much white space around them. I'm paying for white space on the stickers? This, after we lost kiss-cut previously?  Look at Mr. E, the first sticker.  The box should be larger.

The art is weak on some products.  Sinnoman, Trapper Keeper, Nervs - not the best, even Mr. Peanut on Puffers doesn't have the right feel to the art. The Choco-Viles character looks like it was drawn in photoshop, sorry.

Too many toys and odd product choices.  Slowbiz?  Princess Pom-Pom? My Wet Monster? Ugh.

Fartari (snigger, snigger, looool)?  Really, you had to go there?...oy vey.  As if ANS wasn't enough for potty humor, I thought old school was better than that.

Maybe some of this is due to the focus on 80's products, but whatever the reason, I hope old school 9 gets back on track.  Disappointed.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
Ok, after looking over the set finally (I avoided spoilers) I unfortunately have to rate this as one of the, if not the, weakest old school releases.   :sad:

Why do I say that?  Don't get me wrong, there are some winners included, but overall this is a fail for me, especially for the price.  I know this won't be a popular post, but wanted to express my opinion on the set.

No beer?  Why not? California Ghouler - why is bottle so small? In fact, most of the stickers have too much white space around them. I'm paying for white space on the stickers? This, after we lost kiss-cut previously?  Look at Mr. E, the first sticker.  The box should be larger.

The art is weak on some products.  Sinnoman, Trapper Keeper, Nervs - not the best, even Mr. Peanut on Puffers doesn't have the right feel to the art. The Choco-Viles character looks like it was drawn in photoshop, sorry.

Too many toys and odd product choices.  Slowbiz?  Princess Pom-Pom? My Wet Monster? Ugh.

Fartari (snigger, snigger, looool)?  Really, you had to go there?...oy vey.  As if ANS wasn't enough for potty humor, I thought old school was better than that.

Maybe some of this is due to the focus on 80's products, but whatever the reason, I hope old school 9 gets back on track.  Disappointed.

Can't please everyone! Most people are telling me it was their favorite set yet. Different strokes. The Mr. Peanut is one of my favorite characters I've done. I defend it but respect if you don't like him. I did Choco-Viles in the vein of Cracked Jerk, Foolball, Super Cigar Crisp and a bunch of others and Trapper Keeper was a Lisa Frank gag so doing her style was the only way to go with it. I've not received any cards yet so I can't comment on white space around the cards.

As for toys...I always try to put in around 4 toys if possible and the 80s had some good ones. You're a 70s kid so She-Ra and My Pet Monster might not be for you but a lot of people dug those.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2019, 01:48:43 AM »
I've not received any cards yet so I can't comment on white space around the cards.

That's something I really don't like about this set - for some reason Topps put numbers on them, and to make room for those the image sizes are really reduced.  In my opinion, "Old School" Wackys should NOT have numbers.  And the smaller images make it terribly hard for these old eyes to see the details.  Here's a pic showing a cereal title from Old School 7 between two cereal titles from Old School 8 - the new ones look like album stickers! 

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 04:18:39 AM by RawGoo »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2019, 03:05:39 AM »
That's something I really don't like about this set - for some reason Topps put numbers on them, and to make room for those the image sizes are really reduced.  In my opinion, "Old School" Wackys should NOT have numbers.  And the smaller images make it terribly hard for these old eyes to see the details.  Here's a pic showing a cereal title from Old School 7 between two cereal titles from Old School 8 - the new ones like album stickers! 

Great point! Lose the numbers please.   ;)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »
The only thing I can think of is they added numbers to match the 1985 set. I'll ask them to not use numbers on any sets going forward.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #220 on: December 10, 2019, 07:38:05 AM »
Great point! Lose the numbers please.   ;)

does the base set have numbers on all of them??  If so, that takes away from the nostalgic feel of the originals....  :(

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2019, 08:28:16 AM »
@slamjim Thanks for understanding.  Like I said, there are some great gags in there.  Unfortunately, even the ones I love (Aquatic net is awesome, cow tails, Mr. E, Bones, Frank N Stiff etc...lots of winners) are scaled too small and have that truly awful font for the number (and the point size of the number is way too big).  Look at the cover sticker S8 Wacky packages - that has the size and spacing that the others should have.  Can we get a reprint with the numbers removed and the art scaled up?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2019, 08:46:37 AM »
Question: which part of the 1980s does this series represent - 1980-84 or 1986-89?

Online drono

« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
Can we get a reprint with the numbers removed and the art scaled up?

If you've got another $200!  Remember it costs money to remove things (like sugar, caffeine, gluten, etc.)

And without the numbers, how would there be any logic to Topps' collation.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »
Keeping the numbers would be fine too, if the printer's knew how to make cards like in the old days. Why in the world are they maximizing white space? probably due to lame default settings in the cheap graphics program at the set up shop.

look at this 1985 card. Jumbo sized image, and easily fits the number and copyright in there. Minimal white space.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:45:52 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2019, 09:50:50 AM »
I just got back from a week-long trip, and had the great Old School 8 cards waiting for me.

I hope to go through them tonight, and maybe I can help out anyone with needs
(and I may need some help, too!)

Offline CaseyRob

« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »
Question: which part of the 1980s does this series represent - 1980-84 or 1986-89?

My Pet Monster came out in 1986, though I'm guessing some other products are earlier. FWIW, I was always curious about the 1991 series including a 1986 Madballs parody.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »
If you've got another $200!  Remember it costs money to remove things (like sugar, caffeine, gluten, etc.)

And without the numbers, how would there be any logic to Topps' collation.

Well, I was being slightly facetious because I don't expect a reprint to happen, but the cost wouldn't need to be that high just to adjust the artwork and reprint unless their was a minimum set order or something.  Well, it is all just wishful thinking ;D.  Sounds like Dave didn't even realize they were going to shrink his artwork down.  Wish he would've been able to see it first as I'm sure he would have said something.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2019, 02:55:57 PM »
In my opinion, "Old School" Wackys should NOT have numbers.
Yeah, well, technically, "Old School" Wackys should have boxes and packs, too, eh?  :sad:

sorry, I had to go there, didn't I?...

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2019, 02:57:04 PM »
All good points. My three cents:

1. I never liked the smaller images/excessive white space either. This was a theme throughout the ANS that always bothered me.

2. The image that Patrick posted of Beastball is a good example of how the image should dominate the space with very little white versus the other way around.

3. Also agree OLDS should not use numbers. Use a checklist instead like the OS.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2019, 02:57:25 PM »
1980-1989    :]

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2019, 03:00:23 PM »
Well, I was being slightly facetious because I don't expect a reprint to happen, but the cost wouldn't need to be that high just to adjust the artwork and reprint unless their was a minimum set order or something.  Well, it is all just wishful thinking ;D.  Sounds like Dave didn't even realize they were going to shrink his artwork down.  Wish he would've been able to see it first as I'm sure he would have said something.

You would think they'd offer some proofs for the artist(s) to review as a final edit before production to correct any issues.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »
All good points. My three cents:

1. I never liked the smaller images/excessive white space either. This was a theme throughout the ANS that always bothered me.
It never really crossed my mind that ANS titles were scaled down across the board as opposed to the Beastball example shown to illustrate the minimizing of white space in the OS era.  I did notice several cases where long narrow products weren’t distorted to optimize space like they did in OS, but I guess common package shapes ran smaller too.  I often had issues seeing details without using a magnifier, but I just chalked that up to modern packaging design being busier than their counterparts of the 70s.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
It never really crossed my mind that ANS titles were scaled down across the board as opposed to the Beastball example shown to illustrate the minimizing of white space in the OS era.  I did notice several cases where long narrow products weren’t distorted to optimize space like they did in OS, but I guess common package shapes ran smaller too.  I often had issues seeing details without using a magnifier, but I just chalked that up to modern packaging design being busier than their counterparts of the 70s.

In particular, I noticed this on the images presented in landscape format versus portrait throughout ANS. Many of the images just seem too small for the given space on the card leaving more white space than image.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #234 on: December 11, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
Just like Yoda started the slow downfall of StarWars being cool, followed by Ewoks, and then JarJar, and then Ryan Johnson... "numbering" was that first nail in the coffin for Wackys.  Norm Saunders's exit helped too, of course.  But numbers were accompanied by stuff printed on the backs, then tiny 1986 stickers, then the 1991's being printed on thick card-stock with shiny, glossy film and weird artwork on the backs, and it just kept spiraling into something that pales in comparison to the originals.  But that's mainly all about the PRINTING and PRODUCTION side of it.

With artists like Dave and Neil and George making up for the huge hole that Saunders left, the actual pieces themselves look great... but the packaging (thick, shiny card-stock with numbers) makes it a pain.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2019, 07:32:28 AM »
That's something I really don't like about this set - for some reason Topps put numbers on them, and to make room for those the image sizes are really reduced.  In my opinion, "Old School" Wackys should NOT have numbers.  And the smaller images make it terribly hard for these old eyes to see the details.  Here's a pic showing a cereal title from Old School 7 between two cereal titles from Old School 8 - the new ones look like album stickers! 

The reduced size of the images is definitely one of the things that stood out to me in a negative way.  Some of the recent ANS might be improved by smaller images, but Dave's art work definitely is hampered by the reduced size.  And what's the point of even having numbers anyway when there is a checklist and they're only sold in complete sets?  There seems no benefit to Topps and only a significant negative to us collectors, many (all?) of whom are needing glasses without the reduced size any way.  :sad:

Offline WheeljackDude

« Reply #236 on: December 17, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »

EHS - Eternia High School, I presume...

Offline mikecho

« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »

The reduced size of the images is definitely one of the things that stood out to me in a negative way.  Some of the recent ANS might be improved by smaller images, but Dave's art work definitely is hampered by the reduced size.  And what's the point of even having numbers anyway when there is a checklist and they're only sold in complete sets?  There seems no benefit to Topps and only a significant negative to us collectors, many (all?) of whom are needing glasses without the reduced size any way.  :sad:
I think that the numbers were in order to duplicate the 1985 series, since that's the one that introduced numbered Wackys, as far as I know.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #238 on: December 23, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
I think that the numbers were in order to duplicate the 1985 series, since that's the one that introduced numbered Wackys, as far as I know.
Not to sound mean, but you need to brush up on your knowledge. The reissues in 1979-1980 were all numbered. Think they were first.

Online drono

« Reply #239 on: December 24, 2019, 08:05:19 AM »
Not to sound mean, but you need to brush up on your knowledge. The reissues in 1979-1980 were all numbered. Think they were first.

I guess you could argue that the Die Cuts in 1967 and Ads in 1969 were numbered.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:49:30 AM by drono »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #240 on: December 24, 2019, 08:24:53 AM »
You're right; my mistake.

I should've said that they were the first new series to be numbered.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #241 on: December 24, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
I guess you could argue that the Die Cuts in 1967 and Ads in 1969 were numbered.
Wow. Color me red. I guess I have this mental block about the OS being the first ones, but, of course they weren't...sorry, Mike, I blew it, too.   :sad:

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #242 on: December 28, 2019, 06:06:49 PM »
Better late than never! My favorite pull is the Horrid sketch! The Messy Marker vampire guy looks so elegant - and Peter Panic so deranged!
Alex

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #243 on: December 28, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
Is there a list of all of the artists that did sketches for this series?
Alex

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: December 28, 2019, 10:47:33 PM »
Is there a list of all of the artists that did sketches for this series?
Alex

Check out the first post in the Old School 8 Master List topic for the 23 artist names:

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=5625.0