Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School 8 progress status?  (Read 23683 times)

Offline dth1971

Wacky Packages Old School 8 progress status?
« on: October 26, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
slamjim: Any status on the possible between Halloween and Thanksgiving Wacky Packages Old School series 8 yet?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Wacky Packages Old School 8 progress status?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 06:45:51 PM »
Between Halloween and Thanksgiving is correct

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »
Will it be a similar format as Old School 7? Or have you made some new changes to the set? :) Any details are always appreciated!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
Similar format but I got them to add an additional card to sit on the top of the set when it's in the case. It's a "pack" card. So the top card will look like an Old School pack. I never liked just having card #1 on the top. Checklists, puzzle pieces, 30 stickers, Ludlows, tans and whites and rough cards. I believe this is what it is.

Along with something else I asked to change for this time around....which I can't mention just yet.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply. Will be so great to have a new Wacky Packages set. Last years set was amazing. Can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 07:26:02 PM »
30 stickers, all 1970's entries, but no subset of 1980's entries?

Would the set this time include a Wacky Package take on a 1970's home version of a TV game show that Milton Bradley made in the 1970's - The Price is Right, Match Game, Password, or Jeopardy!?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:28:54 PM by dth1971 »

Offline quas

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 08:19:19 PM »
30 stickers, all 1970's entries, but no subset of 1980's entries?

Would the set this time include a Wacky Package take on a 1970's home version of a TV game show that Milton Bradley made in the 1970's - The Price is Right, Match Game, Password, or Jeopardy!?

Great idea.  We already have Brandyland and Monotony - just keep it going!
Marc

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 08:21:37 PM »
Please, please, please, ple-e-a-a-se, can we have Rotting Zone in it this time?

You must know by now that I'm not giving up on this one. I'd really like to see the Wacky Magazines finished in my lifetime, please.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 05:37:07 AM »
There might be even another Aurora monster model kit spoof and at least 1 1970's spoof based on rejected Jay Lynch Wacky drawings.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »
Like, fer sure, I'm trying a little something different this time around as I want to open up Old School a bit to an alternating type of set in hopes of getting two sets a year.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
Like, fer sure, I'm trying a little something different this time around as I want to open up Old School a bit to an alternating type of set in hopes of getting two sets a year.

I always love the Old School sets and look forward to this year's, Dave!  Two sets, as long as you can keep up the quality, would be great.  An 80's version would be super fun.  I hope you can get Topps to do two sets at the high level of quality you've done for the past 7 OLDS sets.

Oh, and it may be time, Dave, to update your tagline ;)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »
I always love the Old School sets and look forward to this year's, Dave!  Two sets, as long as you can keep up the quality, would be great.  An 80's version would be super fun.  I hope you can get Topps to do two sets at the high level of quality you've done for the past 7 OLDS sets.

Oh, and it may be time, Dave, to update your tagline ;)

No worries on two sets if they will go for it. I would never submit a painting unless I was happy with it. Tag line being updated now!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
'Sup Dave!  Hey, is OS8 going to be selling in Target, etc., or will this one be a Topps only ordering situation?  Can't wait to see it.  The OS stuff is by far my favorite of the ANS era.  I honestly don't think I've ever read the BACK of a Wacky Pack EVER... with the exception of a "Ludlow" of course.  Something about coupons and puzzles and ads on the back just never caught my eye.  Call me a purist, but plain-backs are the best thing for cool artwork on the front.  No one checks out the back of a Picasso or Dali or Rembrandt, right?  So, thanks for keeping the OS "look" alive!  (The separate checklists also gives SHOE something to do in his spare time, too.)

Offline drono

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 07:25:12 PM »
No one checks out the back of a Picasso or Dali or Rembrandt, right? 

No, but they should check the back of things like the Declaration of Independence.  Who knows, there just might be a treasure map left behind by the Knights Templar or the Freemasons or even the Knights Who Say Ni!

All kidding aside, I agree with you.  I don't think I've ever really looked at the coupon backs on Wacky Packages either.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 12:49:29 AM »
No, but they should check the back of things like the Declaration of Independence.  Who knows, there just might be a treasure map left behind by the Knights Templar or the Freemasons or even the Knights Who Say Ni!

All kidding aside, I agree with you.  I don't think I've ever really looked at the coupon backs on Wacky Packages either.

I enjoy the coupon backs.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »

Me too. Many of the coupon backs are hilarious! They remind me of the '69 Wacky Ads. If you haven't checked them out, you're missing out IMO.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »
I also like the coupon backs. It's strange to think that they started this with the 1991 series (and it would've continued in the 1992 series, if that one hadn't been canceled. Fortunately, those coupons were released anyway in both ANS1 and Flashback 2).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 03:33:55 PM by mikecho »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 05:21:41 PM »
Me too. Many of the coupon backs are hilarious! They remind me of the '69 Wacky Ads. If you haven't checked them out, you're missing out IMO.

Glad to hear you like the coupon backs! I've been doing those since ANS3 (after we phased out the website parodys).

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
Dave, the set sounds like it will be incredible, can't wait for it to get here!

Thanks so much for doing this, and all you do to help keep our Wackys alive!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »
Glad to hear you like the coupon backs! I've been doing those since ANS3 (after we phased out the website parodys).
One thing that I've always wanted to know about the Wacky Coupons of the 2000s-2010s.

In ANS5, two complete sets were released instead of one (not to mention the checklists were all upside down on the cards (which is the one and only way that you can tell that an ANS5 Wacky is genuine)). My question is: was this done by accident or by design, and if the latter, who did it and why?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 03:50:02 AM »
One thing that I've always wanted to know about the Wacky Coupons of the 2000s-2010s.

In ANS5, two complete sets were released instead of one (not to mention the checklists were all upside down on the cards (which is the one and only way that you can tell that an ANS5 Wacky is genuine)). My question is: was this done by accident or by design, and if the latter, who did it and why?

As I recall, the printing issue with ANS5 was unintentional, an error on the part of the printing company.  I believe the GPK set that was released shortly before Wacky ANS5 had the same issue.  Also, the ANS5 Wacky puzzle back cards were always the same, just the other cards were printed with two different backs.  And, I think it was possible to build a set of 55 with one of every coupon back, along with each of the checklist backs.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 05:31:46 AM »
As I recall, the printing issue with ANS5 was unintentional, an error on the part of the printing company.  I believe the GPK set that was released shortly before Wacky ANS5 had the same issue.  Also, the ANS5 Wacky puzzle back cards were always the same, just the other cards were printed with two different backs.  And, I think it was possible to build a set of 55 with one of every coupon back, along with each of the checklist backs.
Thanks, Pat. You're also right about building a set of 55 with 20 coupon backs, because I did do it myself.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 05:32:22 AM »
Does Old School 8 still release today?

Offline CaseyRob

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 06:03:19 AM »
Tomorrow

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 06:08:26 AM »
In the other thread Dave said it looked like Wednesday release and not Thursday.  Now I'm confused.

Do you have additional information that it is still Thursday and not today?

Offline CaseyRob

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 07:02:10 AM »
Dave said that based on a post Topps made on their Wacky Packages Facebook page, which Dave *then* said Topps had corrected to reflect the correct day, Thursday.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
Ok, thanks, I missed the last post from Dave.  :great:

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
The Wacky Packages Old School 8 - this just in...

HAS BE CANCELLED!!!! and you thought I would forget - That's all folks!! :] :] :] :] :]

Offline dth1971

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 04:09:02 PM »
The Wacky Packages Old School 8 - this just in...

HAS BE CANCELLED!!!! and you thought I would forget - That's all folks!! :] :] :] :] :]

Get out of here, Hustler!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 08:49:47 AM »
The new set is up!  Ordered mine.  Glad it's available for a week.  Hope the sales numbers are good.  :great:

Offline View-Monster

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 09:05:55 AM »
Was OS7 sold the same way at the same price? That seems...high.

--
VM

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
Was OS7 sold the same way at the same price? That seems...high.

--
VM
Same as OLDS 7, same as OLDS 6.

But missing the $50 1/3 set option. Never understood why they were sold by thirds of a set.

Offline drono

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »
I wish they had a base sticker option.  I'm not really interested in the parallels, the pencil roughs or the sketches.  If I were and if Topps had perfect collation, it would take buying 10 sets to get all the red luds and sketches.  That's $1500!

Ordering on the web site was fun too.  I added a set to my cart and went to checkout.  When I logged in, there was nothing in my cart.  So I went back and added one.  When I went to check out again, you guessed it, there were suddenly two in my cart.  So I went back and removed one.  Three attempts to order one set.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:15:04 PM by drono »

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »
I wish they had a base sticker option.  I'm not really interested in the parallels, the pencil roughs or the sketches.  If I were and if Topps had perfect collation, it would take buying 10 sets to get all the red luds and sketches.  That's $1500!

I feel the same way; I only want a base set. Not interested in back variations. The roughs and sketches are cool, but too expensive opposed to what a base set should cost. If anyone has an extra base set for sale, please lmk. Otherwise, I'll wait on eBay.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:45:26 PM by g.u.e.s.t. »

Offline quas

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2019, 03:07:51 PM »

I feel the same way; I only want a base set. Not interested in back variations. The roughs and sketches are cool, but too expensive opposed to what a base set should cost. If anyone has an extra base set for sale, please lmk. Otherwise, I'll wait on eBay.

I’ll have an extra base set for sale.  Marc
Marc