Author Topic: ANS 7 Review  (Read 106802 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: ANS 7 Review
« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Cutz Potato Chips (& rough):

I had to remove all the blood splatter and not show her injured hand and change the bottom blood gag. I did sneak back in the band-aids...

Wow Dave, that's cool. Back in the day you probably could of gotten that one through. I like the bloody hand too. Doing the Olds Series seems to be rubbing off into the new stuff and that is a GOOD thing. Nice touch on the band aid seal for the final.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #351 on: September 28, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »
I love this series.  Cutz  is a great parody of a rather obscure product.  I remember once when I was just out of the service and I went to some of the New England states with my family and I found some Utz Chesapeake Bay Crab flavored chips. 

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #352 on: September 28, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
I love this series.  Cutz  is a great parody of a rather obscure product.  I remember once when I was just out of the service and I went to some of the New England states with my family and I found some Utz Chesapeake Bay Crab flavored chips. 

I agree. Very cool series. I really like the larger pics that are put up here too with the sketches. Something about the image being larger and backlit on the screen that makes the artwork come alive !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline 6up

« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
I wasnt sure where to post this so here it goes. Was the bonus card that came with the ANS7 Binder (Pollygripe) originally part of the Old School Series? I ask this because it has the plain white back which I found kind of out of place as well as the copyright on the front. Maybe Dave can answer this?

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2010, 05:57:42 PM »
I wasnt sure where to post this so here it goes. Was the bonus card that came with the ANS7 Binder (Pollygripe) originally part of the Old School Series? I ask this because it has the plain white back which I found kind of out of place as well as the copyright on the front. Maybe Dave can answer this?

Poligripe was my gag and painting, and it was always meant for ANS7. For while during the development of the set it was #3 on the checklist of the base set, but it got bumped, as sometimes happens. I'm not sure why the printing was different.

Offline 6up

« Reply #355 on: September 29, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »
Poligripe was my gag and painting, and it was always meant for ANS7. For while during the development of the set it was #3 on the checklist of the base set, but it got bumped, as sometimes happens. I'm not sure why the printing was different.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I enjoyed it alot since it seemed to fit more in with the older series.  Plus pollydent commercials seemed like they were all over the tube in the 70's.  Can't remember the last time I saw a recent ad. Regardless it came out great and is my top 5 for the Series.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #356 on: September 30, 2010, 04:50:49 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up.  I enjoyed it alot since it seemed to fit more in with the older series.  Plus pollydent commercials seemed like they were all over the tube in the 70's.  Can't remember the last time I saw a recent ad. Regardless it came out great and is my top 5 for the Series.
You're probably not watching a lot news or gardening shows. That's where you find the geezer product ads.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »
I agree. Very cool series. I really like the larger pics that are put up here too with the sketches. Something about the image being larger and backlit on the screen that makes the artwork come alive !
Also, the images are much easier to read.  I dont know if its my aging eyes or what, but sometimes I have a hard time reading some of the print.  It is nice seeing the details on the larger images, right down to the brush strokes.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #358 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »
Also, the images are much easier to read.  I dont know if its my aging eyes or what, but sometimes I have a hard time reading some of the print.  It is nice seeing the details on the larger images, right down to the brush strokes.

As someone else with aging eyes, I have to say I'm happy to see these scanned in and larger as well.  Glad someone is dedicated to keeping up a site with these for all of our viewing pleasure.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #359 on: September 30, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
When the artists started posting images of Old School 1 I was super happy to actually be able to fully see and appreciate the art. Really pleased to see it happening again here for ANS7.

Hope it becomes a regular things!  :great:

And I still wish Topps would do 5x7 versions of the cards as a separate set. I'd love that! With no subsets, just 3 per pack for $4.99 or whatever, and they include the bonus stickers. Would be great fun to simply have to build a complete set of 5x7 cards from these!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #360 on: October 01, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
I believe these are the last of my contributions to the series. John Zeleznick painted Mouse Mix, Neil Camera painted Hide and Brent Engstrom painted Snoresauges. Kudos to all!

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #361 on: October 01, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »
I like the original Hide gag better.  I think most people can relate to the missing sock line.

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #362 on: October 01, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »
Here's a link to my blog with all my paintings for ANS7 and the pencil sketches and stuff.
http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com/2010/08/wacky-packages-all-new-series-7-2010.html

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #363 on: October 01, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »
Here's a link to my blog with all my paintings for ANS7 and the pencil sketches and stuff.
http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com/2010/08/wacky-packages-all-new-series-7-2010.html

Thanks for the link.  Love your work.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #364 on: October 01, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
Very nice! ;)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2010, 10:04:59 AM »
Here's one I think I forgot to post. The great final art is by Brent.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #366 on: October 04, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »
I noticed the golds have slowed down. There are only a couple of auction now and they are repeat titles. I have  a hunch that there are only a couple serious collectors for this set and probably a couple people that are waiting for cheaper prices because a couple have sold under $200. I think there has only been about 10 different titles that have shown up on ebay so far. Leslie told me that people are emailing her direct to buy their golds so there might be a lot of that going on.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #367 on: October 04, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »
ArmorMaul final. A bit of a bad scan. His nose is actually magenta not that dull pink. The car is my Mini Cooper.

And the rough. I did the rough for one of the earlier ANS and I think it was never actually seen by them. The picture has the old version of the product. I had to update at the last minute when I saw they completely redesigned it.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:35:01 PM by slamjim »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #368 on: November 04, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »
It seems like ANS7 has lost some steam. The same 2 sketch cards keep reappearing and the golds don't seem to be moving either because they seem to be the same titles.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #369 on: November 04, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »
It seems like ANS7 has lost some steam. The same 2 sketch cards keep reappearing and the golds don't seem to be moving either because they seem to be the same titles.

.........and most of the Golds that are still listed are priced too high.  Some people don't want to let go of the initial high prices we saw during the first few weeks.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #370 on: November 04, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
Dave said we'd be lucky to see 50 sketches and I think that is about right.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #371 on: November 06, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
What is this a sketch of? I'm just drawing a blank this morning and can't figure it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280585365472

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #372 on: November 06, 2010, 08:14:06 AM »
What is this a sketch of? I'm just drawing a blank this morning and can't figure it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280585365472
That's one of the three titles in the Snatch-a-pack combo from OS 3.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #373 on: November 06, 2010, 08:32:26 AM »
That's one of the three titles in the Snatch-a-pack combo from OS 3.

WOW. Good eye. It looked so familiar but I just couldn't place it. The stays cold in milk really threw me off. I really wish there were more really cool unique sketches other than the actual wacky sticker. A few more just showed up on ebay and they are exactly like the sticker.
It seems like it's only a couple people pulling the sketches to flip on ebay. One guy even has a hot pack with a random sketch in it.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: November 06, 2010, 01:51:26 PM »
WOW. Good eye. It looked so familiar but I just couldn't place it. The stays cold in milk really threw me off. I really wish there were more really cool unique sketches other than the actual wacky sticker. A few more just showed up on ebay and they are exactly like the sticker.
It seems like it's only a couple people pulling the sketches to flip on ebay. One guy even has a hot pack with a random sketch in it.

Even without the sketches being unique, I prefer the way Jay did the Old School sketches, just focusing on a character, as opposed to drawing the actual Wacky sticker.

As for pulling ANS7 sketches, I gave up on those, especially after seeing that certain people can locate the 'hot packs'.  I'll buy some more blister packs if I find them for $4, but I haven't touched a gravity feed pack since finding out about the professional pack searchers.  The odds are horrendous enough even in an unsearched box.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #375 on: November 08, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »
My wife got this with her receipt when she shopped at Target today. I don't know if I should use it or keep it.

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #376 on: November 08, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »
Keep it!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #377 on: November 08, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
So talking about Target.  My local Target in Van Nuys, CA has been lacking in Wackies lately so I got excited when my son and I spotted a few of them in the card section on the top shelf.  Looking around we found at lest 40 or so packs lying about on the second shelf.  The packs definitely looked picked through and a box or gravity feed was no where in site.  Suspecting they had been visited by a Hot Pack collector we examined the packs closely and found this was true.  Now it seems to me that Hot Pack collector's have a Jedi like ability to divine which packs have the chase cards.  I've heard you can slide the rear card down, look close to the white area on back and look for the tell tale red border.  BUT once the border is seen how to determine if it's sketch/auto vs a foil card.  Well this individual took the direct approach and these packs where slit on the back, lower corner.  So more Conan then Jedi.  Has any else seen this?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #378 on: November 08, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
My wife got this with her receipt when she shopped at Target today. I don't know if I should use it or keep it.

Wonder how much that would fetch on eBay?  I'm sure certain sellers (who shall remain un-named) would not hesitate to find out.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #379 on: November 08, 2010, 05:10:20 PM »
Has any else seen this?

I haven't seen it but that's pretty bad, if you ask me.  Then again, I admit to some magnet-picking back in the day, so perhaps I can't talk.  Still, I'd be pretty upset to buy a handful of individual packs and see them all cut like this.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #380 on: November 08, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »

I can't tell; how much is the coupon worth?  I'd definitely keep it.  Any idea what she bought to trigger that coupon?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #381 on: November 08, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
Wonder how much that would fetch on eBay?  I'm sure certain sellers (who shall remain un-named) would not hesitate to find out.
Boy I hope Gurgle hesitates before you condemn him too.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: November 08, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »
I can't tell; how much is the coupon worth?  I'd definitely keep it.  Any idea what she bought to trigger that coupon?
50¢   just click on the image to see the whole thing

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #383 on: November 08, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »

That is cool, I would keep it!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #384 on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »

Yeah, I'm curious too. I want one!  ;D