Author Topic: ANS 7 Review  (Read 106710 times)

Offline DrSushi

RE: ANS 7 Review
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
   I'd love to read Jay's comments (I've been waiting for him to weigh in)... where do I go to see it? I just came from Greg's forum and all I could find was name calling and anger... is there a 3rd 'Happy Wacky' forum somewhere out there I'm not familiar with?

Greg does have a "Happy Wacky" forum where he has banned certain people from participation. I believe it is mostly referred to as the BBQ forum, as in Greg's backyard BBQ where you're a guest and should try to behave yourself.

Try this link:http://wackypackages.org/forum/login.php?rand=2940

And check the end of the Wacky Packages 2010 thread.

And be nice!

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2010, 05:32:17 PM »
My top 5 would be as follows.... Ghoul Scouts, Grape Newts, Seagerm's, Log Coffin, Sno Saps.
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
I do think Seagerms is really cool and VERY relevant in my area.  We have a lake in another county called "Grand Lake" in St Mary's Ohio and they had to completely shut it down because phosphorous and other chemicals from farm fields drained into it through streams and it caused what they called "algae bloom"  and it was so bad, it was releasing toxic fumes into the air around the lake.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
I probably won't see this series for a few months.  All I've seen are the ones posted on the forums.  But the Twitley Tea one, I would say, seems to be the complete opposite of Wacky Packages humor.   While it mocks the common perception of the Tea Party, which the media has associated with racism and other negative attitudes, it mocks more bitingly the concept of "conspiracy theorists", and presents them as twits.  Since it is the power structure controlled media which gets to define what is "conspiracy theory" and what is  valid criticism of the power structure,  The suggestion here is that we should unquestioningly place our implicit trust in politicians, government and mass media.
This isn't the message that Wacky Packages were meant to convey.   How did this get through?  Is this  card is an early indication that Wackys are on the verge of becoming their opposite, in the same way that MAD magazine has over the years become the exact opposite of it's early self.
The early MAD comics and magazine accepted no advertising and conveyed the message that you're a jerk if you unquestiongly fall for media hype.  The current MAD with it's advertising pages and  collectable cover variations conveys the message that you're a jerk if you DON'T consume the mass media line.
I hope this Twitley sticker isn't an indication that Wacky Packages are on the same path to hypocracy . A chain is as strong as it's weakest link, and this gag, I'm afraid,  is finally that link.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »
Just for Wolfmen if FANTASTIC! Larry Talbot would be proud.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
Greg does have a "Happy Wacky" forum where he has banned certain people from participation. I believe it is mostly referred to as the BBQ forum, as in Greg's backyard BBQ where you're a guest and should try to behave yourself.

Try this link:http://wackypackages.org/forum/login.php?rand=2940

And check the end of the Wacky Packages 2010 thread.

And be nice!
Is there any activity there any more?  I log on with one of the common ids, that id is not allowed to view posts but it shows who is logged in and I rarely see any more than 1 or two people logged in.  Any great finds or pulls being recorded there that are not recorded here? 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »
Thanks for the info... I was logging into the old site, not the BBQ. It was like that movie 'The Road'... mostly barren except for a few people dining on each other.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »
Just for Wolfmen is my favorite because it looks like the Classic Wolfman movie

Also they capture that goofy smile they have on the packaging

As far as timing and sad was the BP Credit Card. I shows Wacky are with the times

Cheers
Choke-Wagon

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »
Just for Wolfmen if FANTASTIC! Larry Talbot would be proud.

Norm Saunders too  :P from the big Wacky Pack in the sky.

I will say overall it is a SUPERB well execute collection of Wacky. Love the fact that Topps acknowledges the Series as ANS 7 and not something else.

I will say with the plethora of products out there THAT HAVE NOT BEEN COVERED by Wacky artist. It was a little let down that they revisted titles covered in the past and in recent ANS Wacky.

I really didn't want another Tide or Doritos Or Krispy Creame becuase there are so many, many, many OTHER good  things to cover. The execution of those gags were great but I did not care to see them.

Also Air Sick has a typo- Polluted is missing an L below, This one also is my least favorite- seems a bit crude and unfinished. The Just For Wolfmen is AMAZING

Choke-Wagon

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2010, 09:16:41 PM »
I probably won't see this series for a few months.  All I've seen are the ones posted on the forums.  But the Twitley Tea one, I would say, seems to be the complete opposite of Wacky Packages humor.   While it mocks the common perception of the Tea Party, which the media has associated with racism and other negative attitudes, it mocks more bitingly the concept of "conspiracy theorists", and presents them as twits.  Since it is the power structure controlled media which gets to define what is "conspiracy theory" and what is  valid criticism of the power structure,  The suggestion here is that we should unquestioningly place our implicit trust in politicians, government and mass media.
This isn't the message that Wacky Packages were meant to convey.   How did this get through?  Is this  card is an early indication that Wackys are on the verge of becoming their opposite, in the same way that MAD magazine has over the years become the exact opposite of it's early self.
The early MAD comics and magazine accepted no advertising and conveyed the message that you're a jerk if you unquestiongly fall for media hype.  The current MAD with it's advertising pages and  collectable cover variations conveys the message that you're a jerk if you DON'T consume the mass media line.
I hope this Twitley sticker isn't an indication that Wacky Packages are on the same path to hypocracy . A chain is as strong as it's weakest link, and this gag, I'm afraid,  is finally that link.

I hope this is not the path. I've alway's loved Mad and Wacky's for their ability to bust on and expose the hypocracy of the media and common products plus give it the comedic spin. Possibly too much political correctness and too much effort to make EVERYONE happy? On second thought that can't be because they certainly didn't make BP happy...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:19:44 PM by Playbug »
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
Polluted was fixed on the final Wacky.

They reused many popular products again because the series had such a lag between series 6 and 7 not to mention most of the series 2-4 kids (at least) probably are out of Wacky collecting by now so the kids picking up this series are mostly newbies to Wackys.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »
I have been trying to get a Girl Scouts Cookies gag in ANS for quite awhile. Here is the 5 part progression of roughs since 2005. On the last one which was used I changed the entire side of the box while I was painting it.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
Gang Scout probably was a strech if that would have been approved for final. I don't know if the wholesome Girl Scouts would allow themselves to be but in that position

Was this the case?

Cool comps, thanks for sharing

Choke-Wagon

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »
Twitley and Beyond Petroleum were both very last minute add ins to the series (they actually originated in another small non-Topps (but connected to Topps) project that was shelved). One of the pieces I did, Sparker,  got bumped because of one of these I would think. I think they wanted to test out some topical stuff and have some newspaper worthy attention grabbers like Mountain Duo was. Stuff that would annoy some people and have some people cheering. I have much more I could say (good and bad) about them but I am hesitant to do so not really knowing if Topps wants us (the artists) to discuss them this way. So for now I am mum on them. I will say I did BP from start to finish.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »
Gang Scout probably was a strech if that would have been approved for final. I don't know if the wholesome Girl Scouts would allow themselves to be but in that position

Was this the case?

Cool comps, thanks for sharing

Choke-Wagon

They never gave me a reason. I guess they just didn't like it. I did use that one later to merge with the Ghoul Scout the idea of intimidation by the little gals. Looking back at the first one I can see that the cookies themselves work much better in the new one and the monster girl just didn't work well. A demonic girl is much better than a full blown monster.

Girl Scams was actually accepted for ANS6 but they wanted a few revisions. I was working on so many ANS6 paintings with a tight deadline I was never able to get back to it. When ANS7 came about I just wanted to go back to the ghoul theme which I liked better.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »
The BP Credit Card would be funny if it had Ken Feinberg Approved for $20 Billion

It sometimes can be difficult to deal with Topps Suits. Reading about David Saunders father Norm and all the shananigans that went on. It makes my blood boil from the horror stories that happened in the past

Choke-Wagon
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:49:05 PM by Choke_Wagon »

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »
While it mocks the common perception of the Tea Party, which the media has associated with racism and other negative attitudes

Thanks for your insight Jay.

You hit the nail on the head in the quote above. The media is to blame for misleading the public on what the Tea Party movement is all about. Which in my understanding is really just about citizens sick of being taxed to death (TEA = Taxed Enough Already), and wanting to clean house and get rid of the "same 'ol same 'ol" career politicians that don't give a darn about the people, but only care about keeping themselves in office.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
I probably won't see this series for a few months.  All I've seen are the ones posted on the forums.  But the Twitley Tea one, I would say, seems to be the complete opposite of Wacky Packages humor.   While it mocks the common perception of the Tea Party, which the media has associated with racism and other negative attitudes, it mocks more bitingly the concept of "conspiracy theorists", and presents them as twits.  Since it is the power structure controlled media which gets to define what is "conspiracy theory" and what is  valid criticism of the power structure,  The suggestion here is that we should unquestioningly place our implicit trust in politicians, government and mass media.
This isn't the message that Wacky Packages were meant to convey.   How did this get through?  Is this  card is an early indication that Wackys are on the verge of becoming their opposite, in the same way that MAD magazine has over the years become the exact opposite of it's early self.
The early MAD comics and magazine accepted no advertising and conveyed the message that you're a jerk if you unquestiongly fall for media hype.  The current MAD with it's advertising pages and  collectable cover variations conveys the message that you're a jerk if you DON'T consume the mass media line.
I hope this Twitley sticker isn't an indication that Wacky Packages are on the same path to hypocracy . A chain is as strong as it's weakest link, and this gag, I'm afraid,  is finally that link.

Mark if you do win the Twitley art, Jay's message above would be perfect printed out and framed with it.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »
Any more Ghoul themes planned for ANS 8?  :^)

Choke_Wagon

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2010, 03:41:33 AM »
But the Twitley Tea one, I would say, seems to be the complete opposite of Wacky Packages humor.   While it mocks the common perception of the Tea Party, which the media has associated with racism and other negative attitudes, it mocks more bitingly the concept of "conspiracy theorists", and presents them as twits. 

I didn't have anything to do with Twitley, but I read it differently on the conspiracy theory angle. It seems to me that it refers more specifically to the Tea Party brand of conspiracy theorists, the folks who, for instance, are convinced beyond logic that Pres. Obama is secretly a Muslim or that he was not born in the United States.

Wackys in the 60s and 70s made fun of the fringe elements of the hippie and beat movements. Were all beats and hippies worthy of ridicule? Or just the ones who hitchhiked, loafed, and avoided work? Media stereotypes have always played into Wacky gags, haven't they?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2010, 04:54:02 AM »
Is there any activity there any more?  I log on with one of the common ids, that id is not allowed to view posts but it shows who is logged in and I rarely see any more than 1 or two people logged in.  Any great finds or pulls being recorded there that are not recorded here? 

There has been more activity than previously, but still not a lot. I don't recall any great finds or pulls posted only there. Maybe we need a beat reporter on that forum for the shut-outs here   ;) .

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:14 AM »

I think if you subtracted Ron's posts it would certainly be dead.  Ron probably represents more than half of all of the posts.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2010, 08:28:59 AM »
I didn't have anything to do with Twitley, but I read it differently on the conspiracy theory angle. It seems to me that it refers more specifically to the Tea Party brand of conspiracy theorists, the folks who, for instance, are convinced beyond logic that Pres. Obama is secretly a Muslim or that he was not born in the United States.

Wackys in the 60s and 70s made fun of the fringe elements of the hippie and beat movements. Were all beats and hippies worthy of ridicule? Or just the ones who hitchhiked, loafed, and avoided work? Media stereotypes have always played into Wacky gags, haven't they?

I'd be surprised if Topps gave as much thought to these titles as we do.  I just can't see them sitting around a table scrutinizing these titles, but maybe I'm wrong.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2010, 10:46:49 AM »
I'd be surprised if Topps gave as much thought to these titles as we do.  I just can't see them sitting around a table scrutinizing these titles, but maybe I'm wrong.
Apparently they do. Jeff Zapata made a post about Twitley over on the BBQ forum disavowing any desire for it's conception and distancing himself from the message in the gag.

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
Since this thread is waffling back and forth between what's offensive or not, and what artwork and gags are good, and since I don't have any ANS7 in hand yet so I can't comment on the artwork or gags, I'll just say that the Wackys I find offensive are the ones that use the words "moron" or "idiot" in them, because in the medical community . . . ah fergit it . . .
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
Jeff told me to post this here as well:

For what it's worth. Some of us at Topps fought to keep that piece out. I was forced to include it in the series in the last minute. I thought Twitly Tea and the BP gags were not right for children in general. I bought Wacky's as a kid to hide from the real world.
Keep in mind there are many (top heavy) execs at Topps and as an Editor I need to do what I'm told. They believe by adding these gags it'll cause some controversy and may get news coverage. At least I think that was the idea. However, I do agree 100% that Twitley was not appropriate for the set. I state this so no one may think this Editor has any political agenda when making Wacky Packages. Also, that the gag does not represent my personal political beliefs. Hope you guys like the rest of the series. We all (artists, writers and editor) worked really hard on it.

Bestest!

2nd post...

Jeff Zapata

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2010, 02:49:23 PM »
Jeff told me to post this here as well:

For what it's worth. Some of us at Topps fought to keep that piece out. I was forced to include it in the series in the last minute. I thought Twitly Tea and the BP gags were not right for children in general. I bought Wacky's as a kid to hide from the real world.
Keep in mind there are many (top heavy) execs at Topps and as an Editor I need to do what I'm told. They believe by adding these gags it'll cause some controversy and may get news coverage. At least I think that was the idea. However, I do agree 100% that Twitley was not appropriate for the set. I state this so no one may think this Editor has any political agenda when making Wacky Packages. Also, that the gag does not represent my personal political beliefs. Hope you guys like the rest of the series. We all (artists, writers and editor) worked really hard on it.

Bestest!

2nd post...

Jeff Zapata

Thanks for passing on this info Dave.  There are lots of Wackys that I don't like but have never been offended by any of them and probably because my appreciation for any given card is 90% art and 10% gag.
I'm a fan of illustration art in general and Wackys give me that plus the sentimental value from collecting Wackys as a kid. As far as being appropriate for kids, I remember liking some Wackys that I had no idea what the gag meant so hopefully nobody (including kids) is taking Wacky Packages too seriously because they really shouldn't be.

Here are just a few of the ANS7 cards that I really like so far...

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984824120_sX6mG-X2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984823809_PT4dG-X2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984823917_Z8SgU-XL.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984824295_CvD3P-XL.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984824648_tg9DD-XL.jpg[/expando]

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »

I haven't scanned the Burnt Bees or Wolfmen yet but I really like those too.

.... Twitley makes my list for the rendering of not only the teacup, but of the tea and it's transparency.

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984824857_hiRte-L.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984825067_QADEB-XL.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984824460_8c88Q-X2.jpg[/expando]

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
So when are we going to get a list of cards and the artists?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »

Thanks for passing on this info Dave.  There are lots of Wackys that I don't like but have never been offended by any of them and probably because my appreciation for any given card is 90% art and 10% gag.
I'm a fan of illustration art in general and Wackys give me that plus the sentimental value from collecting Wackys as a kid. As far as being appropriate for kids, I remember liking some Wackys that I had no idea what the gag meant so hopefully nobody (including kids) is taking Wacky Packages too seriously because they really shouldn't be.

Here are just a few of the ANS7 cards that I really like so far...

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984824120_sX6mG-X2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984823809_PT4dG-X2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984823917_Z8SgU-XL.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984824295_CvD3P-XL.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/984824648_tg9DD-XL.jpg[/expando]

I can't believe kids would even understand the Tetley gag so this was clearly written to stir adults. The fact that Jeff thinks it was to garner media attention is a good point and for that I give Topps some credit for the attempt.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
.... Twitley makes my list for the rendering of not only the teacup, but of the tea and it's transparency.

You mean the transparency of the tea or of the political statement?  ;)

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2010, 04:18:25 PM »
You mean the transparency of the tea or of the political statement?  ;)

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »
If I was a Tea Party supporter, I can see how I might be offended. I'd rather Wackys not be this political simply because it's divisive, even if I agree with the sentiment. But I don't think that this Wacky is treading any ground that the old MAD magazine wouldn't also be willing to tread.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
Here are some roughs next to the finished pieces. I love what the artists have done! I'm also not sure which artists painted which.

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
Monsterettes asked if I could post a larger image of 'Maggoty Ann'... color and details sometimes don't quite reproduce to the printed sticker... heres a big scan.

Smokin' Joe