Author Topic: ANS 7 Review  (Read 106120 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
RE: ANS 7 Review
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 12:22:10 AM »
WHERE ARE ALL THE WACKY FANS???  I've heard all about 'border color' and 'sketch cards'... and unfortunately now about which sticker is slightly offensive for whatever reason but not much about the jokes and paintings in this series that anyone likes. I'm afraid if all the talk is about which gags someone finds offensive the decision makers who put out this series will try to sanitize it more than they already have and all we'll be left with are 'Packages'... no more Wacky.
   (You'll all be left fighting over Hannah Montana sketch cards... pink borders only... black borders will be considered too 'racial'.)

I'll even start... 'Just For Wolfmen' is a great title (I refuse to call it by its number) and the painting is striking and classic and the most memorable of the series for me. Kudos Dave. Great Wacky! I can't wait to own the original painting... which will be easy because all my competition will be broke chasing sketch cards by the time any of the paintings go up for auction.

If there is anything to complain about in this series, its how some of the art was reduced to make room for the stupid numbers. I want my Wacky's printed BIG.

PS. Some of us Wacky Artists ARE hippies... and we still love Commie Cleanser!!!  
Smokin' Joe

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 12:58:54 AM »

If there is anything to complain about in this series, its how some of the art was reduced to make room for the stupid numbers. I want my Wacky's printed BIG.

This might be the problem with growing old? I know I would rather have the sketch big. As all the Wacky collectors age, we might need an enlarged set!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 07:23:53 AM »
WHERE ARE ALL THE WACKY FANS???  I've heard all about 'border color' and 'sketch cards'... and unfortunately now about which sticker is slightly offensive for whatever reason but not much about the jokes and paintings in this series that anyone likes. I'm afraid if all the talk is about which gags someone finds offensive the decision makers who put out this series will try to sanitize it more than they already have and all we'll be left with are 'Packages'... no more Wacky.
   (You'll all be left fighting over Hannah Montana sketch cards... pink borders only... black borders will be considered too 'racial'.)

I'll even start... 'Just For Wolfmen' is a great title (I refuse to call it by its number) and the painting is striking and classic and the most memorable of the series for me. Kudos Dave. Great Wacky! I can't wait to own the original painting... which will be easy because all my competition will be broke chasing sketch cards by the time any of the paintings go up for auction.

PS. Some of us Wacky Artists ARE hippies... and we still love Commie Cleanser!!!  

Good idea!

Some of my favorites on first blush (and I don't even think I've seen all the titles yet) are:

Sno Saps and Chickless - both hit that Wacky sweet spot for me - simple funny gags with great characters and clean beautiful art.

Old Slice, Raven Bran and Toupe' Ramen - all very clever, made me laugh and the art is top-notch.

I also liked the parodies that took it to the poor nutrition of the products - Stuffer's (man I lived on those in college), Blubber King, and Wobblers - I like my Wackys to have some "bite". OK, the groaning sound I'm sure that joke elicited, much like the slurping sound one makes at the end of a milkshake, means I'm done.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 08:32:37 AM »
I'm offended by Commie cleanser because of its complicity in spreading the agenda of Nixon and the Republican machine. They are simply turning around and ridiculing American citizens who stand up against powers that rule. They say they will "cleanse" the country by getting rid of hippies (who were speaking out for liberty, which is never a bad thing) and associates them with Communists. That's offensive and fascist. No other Wacky has ever offended me but this one seriously does, retroactively. And it's so totally not because I'm a Democrat, it's the principle.

Cute. I can't give you a full "touché" for this though, because it's quite a stretch to say the hippies were speaking out for liberty. You do get an "E" for effort though  ;)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 08:33:31 AM »
I'm offended by anyone offended by any Wacky

LOL - No kidding !  Maybe it was thought of as : No kidding ?  Huh ?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 08:35:58 AM »
This might be the problem with growing old? I know I would rather have the sketch big. As all the Wacky collectors age, we might need an enlarged set!
Or the inserts should be a pair of reading glasses or magnifying glass... hey, what if they could be printed with a thicker layer of varnish that had micro lens technology and (similarly to linticular) would auto magnify the entire surface of the sticker... making it look like the giant Old Schools. Hey Topps, get working on this.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 08:39:33 AM »
Some questions about the new ANS 7 series:

What is MOB coffee spoofing?  I am curious to hear because I concluded that it must be a brand of coffee that is not sold near me in NJ.

What is up with the blank card with the ANS 7 Promo back?

Where will the bister packs and bonus boxes be sold?  Just Target & Walmart?

I will post my favorites after some more digesting, one of my Fav.s already is Just for Wolfmen !

Thanks...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »
Oh, and Snow Saps is a favorite of mine too... I forgot about it while I was ranting earlier because I don't think I got one in my first round of openings. Saw it previewed on the Wacky Facebook page. It time machined me back to the 70's (where I accidently kept my parents from kissing at the 'Fish Under the Sea' dance and my sketch arm started to disappear until I was struck by a Delorian and found myself back here in safe 'ol August 29, 2001).  Thanks again Dave.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
I don't have any in hand yet, but from the images I saw, Choppertone and Tiny Cats cracked me up.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »

What is MOB coffee spoofing?  I am curious to hear because I concluded that it must be a brand of coffee that is not sold near me in NJ.

MJB Coffee  
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_53fEKNFwk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_53fEKNFwk</a>

Here's an MJB commercial with a very young Terri Garr
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX_03A4unp8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX_03A4unp8</a>
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:26:40 AM by Sue Mee »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »
and found myself back here in safe 'ol August 29, 2001).  
ah yes, that was a time to be in, except there weren't any ANS wackys...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »

What is up with the blank card with the ANS 7 Promo back?

Mmmmm, Teri Garr coffee.  Yes, 'MJB' is the brand. Beautiful shiny green coffee can.

And I know what is up with the blank cards with the Promo Back... but I cant tell you... but if you send them to me... you might get a surprise. That's all I'm saying. Send them all to me. All you who read this. This means you. Shhhh. Kepp it to ourselves. Secret message me and I'll tell you where to send. That is all.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »

It's still a little early for me as I'm still trying to sort through everything there is to collect!  Typically the first few weeks are a little hectic with everyone trying to find them in stores and fill out their sets, but then after the dust settles a bit we usually scrutinize the titles individually.  No problem starting that now though!  I really like this series and I do think it will be my favorite ANS series.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »
I'm offended by anyone offended by any Wacky

I'm offended by the entire 1991 series!  It's my least favorite by far.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »
I'm offended by the entire 1991 series!  It's my least favorite by far.
  Ok, I'll grant you that... maybe 'disappointed' is a better way to say it... or 'disappointed to death' would be more accurate (although we're not supposed to gag about death any more). The Wacky's that have a duck on them offend me the most. (Quacker Oats, Ducko Cement, Aquax, Duxie Cups... there are just too many to list.) Because they aren't really talking about 'ducks' now are they? We all know ducks 'float'... which means they don't weigh very much... and what also weighs the same as a duck? You guessed it. Topps has been waging Witch warfare for centuries. (Before Baseball cards, their series of 'Scarlet Letter' cards were all the rage.) They first tried publicly by burning them at the steak... or Post... Post Grape Nuts... Grape Newts... it's so obvious. The duck Wacky's are a subliminal way to turn us against witches once again... don't let this happen!!  It's a sad, sad world when we see a duck parody and laugh instead of showing some compassion.

PS. Great MJB commercials.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2010, 10:15:40 AM »

[/quote]

Smokin' Joe

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
I'm offended by the entire 1991 series!  It's my least favorite by far.
There were some great ones though: Rat in the Cat, Dr. Sushi, Trucker's, Mentals, VLAD (great parody), ET Seize 'ems (my fave), Zenergizer, Newport, Mummorex, Drunken Donuts.

[Re: Small stickers] Agreed. Still wish they'd make a parallel set of 5x7's of all the stickers so we could really appreciate the art. We discussed this on an Old School thread -- maybe Topps will pick up on it. Also not sure why they didn't do the WOM series as W1-W20 or something instead of the "1 of 20" thing, or just make the numbers a different color (red?).

[Re: ANS7] Like Dr. Popper, I'm still assimilating, but this series has some really nice artwork and parodies. Seems like Wackys are back on track! Some art that really stands out for me on first blush: Crutch, Rat Guard, Vampire, Armor Maul, Air Sink (the fumes especially), Seagerm's, Ditz, Stupid Pretzels, Kreepy Kreme, Mountain Dude, Burnt Bees, Just for Wolfmen, V6, Log Coffin (the guys face), Clunky. For parodies first blush: Kizz Kat, beyond pollution, Old Slice, Kreepy Kreme, Snoresages, County Time, Tiny Cats, Mrs. Blabbermouths, Raven Bran, Ruffled, Simian Toes Crunch (lol!), 'Fraid, Grape Newts, Pinkies, Chickless (lol!), Ghoul Scouts (freakin creepy!), Hungry Mantis.

Haven't got to the WOM's yet. :)

P.S. Ducks Rule!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:17:23 AM by Ducko »

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »

[Re: Small stickers] Agreed. Still wish they'd make a parallel set of 5x7's of all the stickers so we could really appreciate the art.

I like to scan them so that I can see all of the details my aging eyes are missing.  I'm always blown away at the stuff I completely overlooked.  I love holding the cards but I need to look at hi-rez scans to fully appreciate them.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
  Topps has been waging Witch warfare for centuries. (Before Baseball cards, their series of 'Scarlet Letter' cards were all the rage.) They first tried publicly by burning them at the steak... or Post... Post Grape Nuts... Grape Newts... it's so obvious.

Topps turned me into a newt.

I got better.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 10:54:17 AM »
WHERE ARE ALL THE WACKY FANS???  I've heard all about 'border color' and 'sketch cards'... and unfortunately now about which sticker is slightly offensive for whatever reason but not much about the jokes and paintings in this series that anyone likes. [...]  
Don't know if it's too soon, but I'm going to start a new thread for ANS7 reviews.  I figure many (most?) people have a base set, so I'll plunge right in.  But speak up if a lot of you guys still don't have stickers in hand and I'll hold on posting additional reviews beyond the first few.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »
I may be a little early, but I thought I’d start a thread for ANS7 reviews.  A system that’s been used before and seems to work well is going through the set in numerical order and reviewing more than one sticker at a time.  So without further ado, my thoughts on the first three wackys.  I’d love to hear everyone else’s thoughts on these!

1.  Ghoul Scouts
One of my favorites in the new series.  I love the look on that little scout’s face – so cutely demonic!  The twist to her lips is so subtle, but makes her expression chilling, and that weirdly bristling hair and the arch in her eyebrows round out the kid’s inner ghoul.  Nice detail on her merit badges and the logo.  The overall gag really works for me and the puns on the names of the different Girl Scout cookies are hilarious.  Plus the Buy ‘Em or Else! tag line captures the sense of pressure I know I’ve felt when it comes to little troopers selling their wares, taken to an appropriately over-the-top extreme (see lifeless hand on the cookie boxes.)  Fantastic wacky in terms of both art and humor.

2.  Play-Doze
I appreciate the simplicity of this wacky -- harkens back to the aesthetic of the original series -- and the sleeping face on the lid is nicely done.  But all in all, this one doesn’t work for me.  Maybe the character isn’t goofy or moronic enough, even with the drool.  I guess in the end, it isn’t quite wacky enough.

3.  Just for Wolfmen
Another one of my very favorites.  The rendering of the wolfman’s hairy face is superb!  Even the little wolfman in the inset is finely detailed and check out what’s on the back of the mirror he is holding.  Great gag and lots of clever lines:  “Shampoo-in Scare Color For the Killer Look!  I love monster wackys and this is one of the best.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 12:05:41 PM »
MJB Coffee  
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_53fEKNFwk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_53fEKNFwk</a>

Here's an MJB commercial with a very young Terri Garr
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX_03A4unp8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX_03A4unp8</a>

Thanks for posting, those commercials were great. The 1st one was wacky all by itself, telling you to have coffee with everything and anyone. The 2nd one made me want to go back to the 60's and have Terri make me a cup.  :-*

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »

Thanks Joe, 1st time I am seeing the actual product can.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2010, 01:36:12 PM »
And I know what is up with the blank cards with the Promo Back... but I cant tell you... but if you send them to me... you might get a surprise. That's all I'm saying. Send them all to me. All you who read this. This means you. Shhhh. Kepp it to ourselves. Secret message me and I'll tell you where to send. That is all.
You're referring to the ad cards with the blank backs. Not the totally blank cards with the security sticker, right? I've got a little stack of em for ya.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »
You're referring to the ad cards with the blank backs. Not the totally blank cards with the security sticker, right? I've got a little stack of em for ya.
  I think I want those too... maybe not... but maybe yes... I think now Yes. Lets go with 'Yes'.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »
The godfather of Wackys has some interesting comments about Twitley Tea on the other forum for those interested. I'm proud of Mr. Lynch for speaking up.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
To be clear on my position, I don't think Twitley Tea or any related theme should be banned. Let people be offended. Let them say they're offended. Then remind Topps not to keep banning themes from Wacky Packs just because somebody is offended.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »
The godfather of Wackys has some interesting comments about Twitley Tea on the other forum for those interested. I'm proud of Mr. Lynch for speaking up.

I guess I must not be up on current events as I have no idea why everyone is in so much of an uproar over this sticker.  I didn't even think it was that great of a Wacky!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »

I'd love to read Jay's comments (I've been waiting for him to weigh in)... where do I go to see it? I just came from Greg's forum and all I could find was name calling and anger... is there a 3rd 'Happy Wacky' forum somewhere out there I'm not familiar with?
Smokin' Joe

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »
   I'd love to read Jay's comments (I've been waiting for him to weigh in)... where do I go to see it? I just came from Greg's forum and all I could find was name calling and anger... is there a 3rd 'Happy Wacky' forum somewhere out there I'm not familiar with?

What on earth are they angry about? 
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2010, 04:51:34 PM »
Who's angry????     

I think Flabreeze is pretty funny!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
I usually don't have enough patience to wade through these long review threads but I will comment on these three titles:

Ghoul Scout:  I like the gag(s) but I think there is too much green on this one.  I suppose the actual packaging has a lot of green but the Wacky doesn't seem to have enough contrast.  This one did not make my ANS7 favorites list.

Play-Doze:  Zzzzzz  -  This one kind of bores me too.  I think there is a problem with the rendering of the "Play-Doze" label as it doesn't conform to the curvature of the can.  Give my Play-Dumb any day!!

Just for Wolfmen:  Now this one did make my favorites list!!  I too love the detail on the big wolfman.  Anyone know who the artist was on this one?  I also love the gag line "Gets rid of ugly (and dangerous) Silver Hair"!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »
Great comments Loren, I agree about the perspective on Play Doze.  I believe Dave Gross did "Just for Wolfmen."

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
I usually don't have enough patience to wade through these long review threads but I will comment on these three titles:

Ghoul Scout:  I like the gag(s) but I think there is too much green on this one.  I suppose the actual packaging has a lot of green but the Wacky doesn't seem to have enough contrast.  This one did not make my ANS7 favorites list.

Play-Doze:  Zzzzzz  -  This one kind of bores me too.  I think there is a problem with the rendering of the "Play-Doze" label as it doesn't conform to the curvature of the can.  Give my Play-Dumb any day!!

Just for Wolfmen:  Now this one did make my favorites list!!  I too love the detail on the big wolfman.  Anyone know who the artist was on this one?  I also love the gag line "Gets rid of ugly (and dangerous) Silver Hair"!!

That pretty much sums it up for me, thanks!

I'm not a big fan of the horror-themed Wackys, but Wolfman transcends the genre.

The previous Play Doh gag for ANS also seemed flat. Maybe the original product is too bland. I noticed the issue with the curvature of the label as well.

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »
I really like Seagerm's.... it's starting to grow on me... pun intended   :]
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards