Author Topic: ANS 7 Review  (Read 106805 times)

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
Re: ANS 7 Review
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
Excellent work. You're doing a great job and service.

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2010, 09:28:07 AM »
Thanks Mark. I would have gone back to where I left off and built the whole table, but I'm grateful that you ran with it! Thanks also to everyone else who chimed in with information.

I kinda wished I'd let you go ahead and do that, as it was more work than I anticipated!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »
Here are a few more rough concept sketches alongside the finished paintings. Tom Bunk painted Bite A Man, and 'Fraid. Don't have info on the Iris Stings artist.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »
Here are a few more rough concept sketches alongside the finished paintings. Tom Bunk painted Bite A Man, and 'Fraid. Don't have info on the Iris Stings artist.

I like the rough for Iris Stings much better. The painted one makes the guy look like he's in a pissed off argument with soap. Needs that burning red eye.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »

Just like the OS "Kick-a-man", shouldn't the "bite a man" have a human trying to get away in the bottle...it would make it more realistic and funny...more closely attached to the gag...I loved those in the OS..."about to be eaten" - do like the shark coming out of the bottle...
IMO

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2010, 10:05:24 AM »
Just like the OS "Kick-a-man", shouldn't the "bite a man" have a human trying to get away in the bottle...it would make it more realistic and funny...more closely attached to the gag...I loved those in the OS..."about to be eaten" - do like the shark coming out of the bottle...
IMO

But in this case it works because if you're drinking Bite A Man with the small shark inside it's going to bite your lip.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2010, 10:17:49 AM »
But in this case it works because if you're drinking Bite A Man with the small shark inside it's going to bite your lip.
plus it's a nice hint of an homage to the shark in a bottle of Gillo Port, but now with the correct tail

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »

Exactly! Or is it a life-size shark and a huge bottle? We may never know.

But I do think the liquid should have been blue (deep blue-C) but I get the "blood in the water" angle, too.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »
plus it's a nice hint of an homage to the shark in a bottle of Gillo Port, but now with the correct tail

Yup, that's the image I thought about.

But I don't know about that Great White tail. Is there a notch in there?

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »
But I don't know about that Great White tail. Is there a notch in there?
I was just referring to the shark in Gillo Port - which has an incorrect bony fish tail

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #255 on: September 08, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
I was just referring to the shark in Gillo Port - which has an incorrect bony fish tail
I know. But technically, this tail isn't correct either if there is no notch in it.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
'Fraid is one of my favorite ANS7 stickers. Hilarious!

Also have to say that Stealthy Choice is high on my list. Where else could you ever have the gag "Purloin Steak" and even funnier the combined gag: "Purloin Steak with safecrackers"  :D

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »

ok...I guess I always like the "fear-factor" of man v. beast in my Wackys..even more so than the gags..Let's bring on OLDS 2 - pls use Spirograph as one...and Tonka trucks..

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
ok...I guess I always like the "fear-factor" of man v. beast in my Wackys..even more so than the gags..Let's bring on OLDS 2 - pls use Spirograph as one...and Tonka trucks..

I like Spirograph. I have it on the list but not for OLDS2. We already have the toy quota filled for this series.

There will be an OLDS2 promo sticker and flyer coming soon. Lots of new stuff in the series.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »
I like Spirograph. I have it on the list but not for OLDS2. We already have the toy quota filled for this series.

There will be an OLDS2 promo sticker and flyer coming soon. Lots of new stuff in the series.

Glow -in-the-dark sketches??  :P - ok just the hand-drawn one-of-a-kind sketches...like OLDS 1 right??

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »
Glow -in-the-dark sketches?? 

If you can find a glow-in-the-dark pen that's worth a damn!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »
If you can find a glow-in-the-dark pen that's worth a damn!

That's a cool idea, though. Maybe the glow in the dark drawing could be under the main sketch and only visible when the lights are out.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2010, 04:54:50 PM »
That's a cool idea, though. Maybe the glow in the dark drawing could be under the main sketch and only visible when the lights are out.

I did some experimenting last year with the halloween sketch cards and tried about a dozen different pens and paint, none of which were consistent or lasted very long. Plus, they were all really expensive. But if I can find the right brand, you bet we'll do 'em!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »

Great stuff! 'Fraid is definitely one of my favorites, probably of the whole ANS. I just love the use of the can/nozzle as an airhorn, and the way the gag flows smoothly from that idea - very clever!

I agree that having an iris showing on Iris Stings seems to be a sine qua non.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
I did some experimenting last year with the halloween sketch cards and tried about a dozen different pens and paint, none of which were consistent or lasted very long. Plus, they were all really expensive. But if I can find the right brand, you bet we'll do 'em!

In college I did quite a few glow in the dark large paintings. I'll see if I still have the paints so I can give you the brand. Obviously this was quite awhile ago. I remember I got them at Pearl Paint.

Also, look around here:
http://www.glonation.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
I have indeed uploaded tons of photos and videos but it's only 40 bucks a year for unlimited photos.  It's a great service.

The originals are 2076 x 1481
When I looked at what the pro version goes for it states $150.
Do you mind scanning all the backs of the cards so I can plagiarize your pictures to put in Wacky-Base....LOL
What I find the toughest when scanning a whole series like this for Wacky-Base is getting the pictures straight on the scanner. A lot of them I have to correct in PS. It's really a pain and I wish there was a better way.
Keep up the great work!

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2010, 05:22:09 PM »
When I looked at what the pro version goes for it states $150.
Do you mind scanning all the backs of the cards so I can plagiarize your pictures to put in Wacky-Base....LOL
What I find the toughest when scanning a whole series like this for Wacky-Base is getting the pictures straight on the scanner. A lot of them I have to correct in PS. It's really a pain and I wish there was a better way.
Keep up the great work!

I use the pro version now because I do videos too.

It doesn't take too long to complete a 55 card set.  
It took a few minutes to make a master scan of all 55 cards (7 scans of the cards @ 9up on the platen).
After the initial 9 Up scans were done, it  took less than 1 minute each to crop, straighten, color correct and USM (unsharp mask) each card so the whole process of scanning the base set took less than 1 hour & 5 minutes. To expedite the straightening, I use black construction paper attached to the underside of the lid so that when you crop a card from the master, it's easy to select and straighten the card.  I know I can reduce the time per card by 1/2 if I take the time to batch process them, but I'm happy with the current process as it allows me to back off the USM a little if I think it's better.  The hardest part is finding the time to spend an hour doing it  ;)

Next time I have a spare hour, I'll scan the backs.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:24:43 PM by Sue Mee »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
I agree that having an iris showing on Iris Stings seems to be a sine qua non.
I'm often compelled to look up Latin and I didn't know that one, so I did, (the term which refers to an indispensable and essential action, condition, or ingredient - for those as clueless as I) - - - I guess I could have figured out from inference, but just had to check. We need more Latin on Wacky Packages. Is there any Latin in ANS 7? Should Latin be capitalized?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
I'm often compelled to look up Latin and I didn't know that one, so I did, (the term which refers to an indispensable and essential action, condition, or ingredient - for those as clueless as I) - - - I guess I could have figured out from inference, but just had to check. We need more Latin on Wacky Packages. Is there any Latin in ANS 7? Should Latin be capitalized?

If it makes you feel any better, after I typed it, I looked it up as well to make sure it meant what I thought it did. I don't think I've ever spoken that phrase (and I may never write it again).

That's funny that you mention capitalizing "Latin". I had originally added that it looked weird to have that Latin phrase just hanging out there, and I wondered if "Latin" should be capitalized. I had also looked up other Latin phrases and was going to add a few more so "sine qua non" would just sort of blend in- like E pluribus unum, tempis fugit, ad nauseum, etcetera. I thought it would be funny to end a string of Latin phrases with ad nauseum and etcetera. But I decided it was better to censor myself. I probably should have this time, too. Ah well, the die is cast.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #269 on: September 10, 2010, 09:01:55 PM »
Have some time to kill so here are the paintings for a few bonus stickers:

Hawaiian Tragic

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #270 on: September 10, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
Wife-Out

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #271 on: September 10, 2010, 09:38:40 PM »
Wife-Out

That's a great one Dave.  Hadn't seen that one yet. 
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #272 on: September 10, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »

That's a great one Dave.  Hadn't seen that one yet. 

I concur. Great gag.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »
Me too. Has to be one of the funkiest overall Wacky gags I've seen in a long time.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2010, 11:05:59 PM »
Wife-Out

That's pretty racy for an ANS release. Great gag overall but, god forbid, it could offend others............

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »

Hawaiian Tragic

I like the gag. I thought it was pretty cool when I first looked at it. Now that it's blown up she looks like a mummy :D

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2010, 11:45:14 PM »

Hawaiian Tragic

thanks for posting these.

I see they corrected the "put's" typo on the sticker.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2010, 07:45:34 AM »
thanks for posting these.

I see they corrected the "put's" typo on the sticker.

No, I corrected it on the painting. This was from my first scan of it. I'll sub in the proper scan when I have a chance.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
I like the gag. I thought it was pretty cool when I first looked at it. Now that it's blown up she looks like a mummy :D

I based her in general on pictures of Donatella Versace. The woman is unreal.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »
That's pretty racy for an ANS release. Great gag overall but, god forbid, it could offend others............

Yeah, I was totally expecting that one to get rejected with my back up idea being Wipe-Out which would have been it about the product being able to erase people (literally).

anything