Author Topic: ANS 7 Review  (Read 106760 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: ANS 7 Review
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
Ok - now I really went through the WOM's again to see what I came up with for personal faves (and why) -- in order:
  • CrimeTapp (like the gag and it's actually quite clear considering how much art there is)

Fred came up with this gag and I asked Jeff to paint it because I liked it so much. The sticker seems a bit faded.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:59:57 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »
and Ghoul Scouts:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:01:30 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:09 PM »
and Just for Wolfmen:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:00:52 PM by slamjim »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2010, 09:50:16 PM »

Love the bird hat with the $1 tag. If I remember from my childhood, that's an homage to the "sweet ol' gal" on Hee Haw? Correct?
Exactly! Though I was never able to find a picture of her.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2010, 09:52:02 PM »
and Ghoul Scouts:

Oh wow. That's so much better than the sticker. Great work!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:03 PM »
Exactly! Though I was never able to find a picture of her.
That was Minnie Pearl. I just googled her. Google is your friend ;)

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
You don't see much realism on Wacky's anymore and Norm had a great sense of when to use realism and when to get goofy. I figured this gag warranted realism. Zapata's response to this was nothing more than to say he was hoping the lady would have been silly looking.

You were right to go for the realism. The lady's expression is just right. The flower designs, the bird and price tag on the hat, and the lace and pattern on the blouse are all great details.

I was thrown for a minute by the size of the teapot relative to the figure, but it needs to be that size compositionally, and hey... she's a little old lady.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2010, 10:04:04 PM »
and Ghoul Scouts:

I never noticed before that the Samoanas on the side have stripes that look like chocolate bones. You're a madman with the details... 

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »
and Ghoul Scouts:

Those are all excellent Dave and it reinforces my thought that having stickers is fun and nostalgic, but I really want larger prints or books with the better quality images.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/992799137_5jksx-L.jpg[/expando]

I was telling Fred how much I liked the kids he included in the pencil rough. 
Topps wanted it to be simpler. 
I made this to see how it might have been had they let him include them in the final.
I think his original idea added alot to the overall balance of the piece.

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2010, 05:02:49 AM »
I made this to see how it might have been had they let him include them in the final.

I agree, it fills out the space much better. And the sleepy kids really drive home the gag!

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2010, 05:45:43 AM »

I agree as well.  Right now this one is probably in my bottom 20%.  Adding the kids back in would have moved this one a lot higher on my list for ANS7 (more like top 20%).
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2010, 06:53:23 AM »
I agree as well.  Right now this one is probably in my bottom 20%.  Adding the kids back in would have moved this one a lot higher on my list for ANS7 (more like top 20%).

I agree here, too.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:55:25 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2010, 09:54:19 AM »
Ditto. It's usually a bit of a struggle to squeeze a good, big character onto the open space of a package... older package designs used more blank space than today's 'fill every inch' approach and are easier to work into. The combined image you show here really looks great! ... and it still doesn't look cluttered... and you get more character. (Is that a win, win, win?)  Good design is as important as good painting and good gag writing. You proved it here.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2010, 09:58:18 AM »
I agree with Crakola's assessment. Would have been GREAT with the added snoozing kids.

Idea: Why doesn't Topps pass some of these decisions past us? Seems like we can do a really good critique and make great choices. ;)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
I like it a lot more! Fred knows best.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
That was Minnie Pearl. I just googled her. Google is your friend ;)

So that was her name. Damn. That's all you need to find what you're looking for on Google. Just as well. I wouldn't use her pink dress on a pink background.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »
I got my online order with the bonus boxes, binder, and cereal boxes.  Can I say how FREAKIN' AWESOME these cereal boxes are?

After I opened them, I folded them out and I'm trying to flat them out a little more so I can put them in my binder, too!
Have you tried putting them under a tall stack of phone books?

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I thought I'd cut right to reviews of some of my favorite wackys rather than trying to go one by one. 

17. Kreepy Kreme
This wacky has loads of personality -- love it.  Strong simple graphic that just grabs you.  The main gag carries the wacky and having few secondary jokes really works in this case, gives the parody more oomph.  Wonderful inventiveness to have the monsters' tentacles feature round donuts as stickers and the detailing on the chocolate frosted sprinkle tentacle is outstanding.  This wacky works beautifully on all counts.

55.  Kiss Kat
I've never been a fan of the band, but this wacky rocks!  Multi-layered gag, the wafers are catnip that turns you kitten into a wild rebel -- a feline version of Gene Simmons with a rough cat tongue to match.  How on earth did the line "Your Kitty Will Lick and Purr all Night -- & Party All Day!" get through? And the art on the rocker cat, wow, I'd love to see the original painting on that.  This wackys follows the classic pattern set by Norm: stay true to the actual packaging ("claw here"), while adding a character with true eye candy appeal, all in the modern idiom.  Superb example of a wacky that doesn't fall prey to nostalgia, but fully carries on the best of the wacky lineage.

28.  Grape Newts
Amazing artwork -- the folds on the witch's robes, her hair, her expression, the incredible expressiveness of her hands. Not classic goofiness, but I love the variety the style of this wacky brings to the set.  I also really like the color reversal, the witch with green skin against her purple garb, the newts purple skin set off with the green potion.  Best Used by Oct. 31 is a great gag, with the gleeful newt clambering out puts a visual exclamation point on it.  The problem of mixing lizards and newts has been mentioned.  While that might normally bother me, the wacky is so great I find myself happily suspending disbelief. 

Plenty more wackys I love from ANS7 -- these are just some of my favs   

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »
Thanks so much for posting the Sweet 'n Slow image Mark.  I liked this wacky before, but now I really appreciate it.  Same with Choppertone. And I had the same reaction to Dave's scans.  It's hypnotic to see the original art, thanks to you all for making the effort so we can enjoy -- keep 'em coming guys!   

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
Kreepy Kreme:

The original version. I thought it would work much better as a mysterious creature made of doughnuts rather than a goofy monster who just handles them.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:48:45 PM by slamjim »

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2010, 06:35:34 PM »
Kreepy Kreme:

The original version. I thought it would work much better as a mysterious creature made of doughnuts rather than a goofy monster who just handles them.

I totally agree with the thinking behind the switch from the rough to the finished painting.  Much creepier and more mysterious.  Fascinating to see the evolution of your idea!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2010, 07:33:43 PM »
Kreepy Kreme:

Excellent! The creature made of doughnuts is much more creative. I really appreciate this one much more after seeing the larger image.

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »
and Just for Wolfmen:

Dave ..

This one is COMPLETELY AWESOME !!!!  :]

Ron
How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2010, 10:56:48 PM »

55.  Kiss Kat

Here's a closer look at Kiss Kat. I've been wanting to work KISS into a Wacky for a while... this one just clicked. I like that they are a pop culture icon just like Wacky's... and that they would go together just like chocolate and peanut butter (oh wait, that's the other one... never mind). 
Smokin' Joe

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: September 03, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
55.  Kiss Kat

Here's a closer look at Kiss Kat. I've been wanting to work KISS into a Wacky for a while... this one just clicked. I like that they are a pop culture icon just like Wacky's... and that they would go together just like chocolate and peanut butter (oh wait, that's the other one... never mind). 

WOW!!!!!!!  That is a masterpiece!  Thanks for the high res look at this gem.  I like the gag, and from the wrapper shading to the way the edges are done, and then of course the fantastic cat, it's just awesome. 

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2010, 09:24:09 AM »
55.  Kiss Kat

How does it work in order for the gag to be approved, did Topps need to ask KISS for approval before final art could be done?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »
I can't answer with first hand knowledge but my GUESS is that because it is a parody it is protected under a 'freedom of speech' thing... and at most the Topps lawyers may be asked to look at it and advise whether it could cause trouble and needs some modification or should be eliminated completely. If anything Gene Simmons should thank us for suggesting a new product and how it could be marketed with a KISS endorsement. Goes great with Cherry Dr. Pepper.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »
Thanks Smokin Joe. I only ask because of the KISS logo lettering I Thought was proprietary to them. They are known to go after people that don't consult usage.

Choke_Wagon

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2010, 02:54:08 PM »
HEY Joe.......HI,  Lance here from Joliet,Illinois(where john wayne gacy was put to death)when i said back to back card #55 i did not mean to send KissKat into obscurity, all of the artists are very talented people!!Someone seriously needs to get Topps to make future ANS and OLDS sets postcard size,limited edition no doubt cause my eyes are not getting any younger...........................................................................................
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:56:44 PM by deadpresidentsvisa »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »
HEY Joe.......HI,  Lance here from Joliet,Illinois(where john wayne gacy was put to death)when i said back to back card #55 i did not mean to send KissKat into obscurity, all of the artists are very talented people!!Someone seriously needs to get Topps to make future ANS and OLDS sets postcard size,limited edition no doubt cause my eyes are not getting any younger...........................................................................................
 Hi Lance, (Too bad MORE towns can't claim to have put John Wayne Gacy to death... we should have just kept shipping his corpse around and given everyone an opportunity... lethal injections, electric chair, whatever... ) I agree and would love to see big printed art... the books do a nice job. So does Smugmug...
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6782758_ZSrCy#433333312_TypK9/  

I would like to see a Super sized Wacky's release like Old School. My old eyes are tired too.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:34:10 PM by Smokin Joe »
Smokin' Joe

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2010, 11:29:59 PM »
I started to put together an ANS7 credits table...

Base Set

#TITLEPAINTERCONCEPT
01 Ghoul ScoutsDavid Gross     David Gross
02 Play-DozeFred Wheaton     Fred Wheaton/David Gross
03 Just for Wolfmen   David GrossDavid Gross
04 Dorkitos   ??
05 Chickless   Fred WheatonFred Wheaton
06 Hungry-Mantis   David GrossDavid Gross/Fred Wheaton
07 Bumpkin Dimwits   Brent EngstromNeil Camera
08 V6   Brent EngstromDavid Gross
09 Burnt Bees   Smokin' JoeSmokin' Joe
10 Seagerm's   David GrossDavid Gross
11 Cutz   David GrossDavid Gross
12 Bruise's   Fred WheatonFred Wheaton
13 Twitley   Brent Engstrom?
14 Boredom   Smokin' JoeSmokin' Joe
15 Death SaversDavid Gross     David Gross
16 Stupid PretzelDavid Gross     David Gross
17 Kreepy KremeDavid Gross     David Gross
18 Mtn DudeDavid Gross     David Gross
19 DitzDavid Gross     David Gross
20 Flabreze   Fred WheatonFred Wheaton
21 Smuggler's   Brent EngstromMark Parisi
22 Air Sick   Brent EngstromFred Wheaton
23 Pinkies   Brent EngstromMark Parisi
24 Honey-Tomb   David GrossFred Wheaton
25 biteamanwater   Tom Bunk?

Corrections to and extensions of the list are welcome.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:48:49 AM by paste_anyplace »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2010, 11:43:04 PM »
Thanks Smokin Joe. I only ask because of the KISS logo lettering I Thought was proprietary to them. They are known to go after people that don't consult usage.

Choke_Wagon
I think we're safe because the letters are really the Kit Kat letters with lightening boltish 'SS'... looks enough like the KISS logo to carry the gag, but I could argue that it doesn't use their exact logo. Of course this is the kind of thing lawyers love... as long as they have something to argue about, someone has to pay them money. 
Smokin' Joe

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2010, 06:46:10 AM »
I started to put together an ANS7 credits table...

Base Set

#TITLEPAINTERCONCEPT
01 Ghoul ScoutsDavid Gross     David Gross
02 Play-DozeFred Wheaton     Fred Wheaton/David Gross
03 Just for Wolfmen   David GrossDavid Gross
04 Dorkitos   ??
05 Chickless   Fred WheatonFred Wheaton
06 Hungry-Mantis   David GrossDavid Gross/Fred Wheaton
07 Bumpkin Dimwits   Brent EngstromNeil Camera
08 V6   Brent EngstromDavid Gross
09 Burnt Bees   Smokin' JoeSmokin' Joe
10 Seagerm's   David GrossDavid Gross
11 Cutz   David GrossDavid Gross
12 Bruise's   Fred WheatonFred Wheaton
13 Twitley   Brent Engstrom?
14 Boredom   Smokin' JoeSmokin' Joe
15 Death SaversDavid Gross     David Gross
16 Stupid PretzelDavid Gross     David Gross
17 Kreepy KremeDavid Gross     David Gross
18 Mtn DudeDavid Gross     David Gross
19 DitzDavid Gross     David Gross
20 Flabreze   Fred WheatonFred Wheaton
21 Smuggler's   Brent EngstromMark Parisi
22 Air Sick   Brent EngstromFred Wheaton
23 Pinkies   Brent EngstromMark Parisi
24 Honey-Tomb   David GrossFred Wheaton
25 biteamanwater   Tom Bunk?

Corrections to and extensions of the list are welcome.

Hi Fred,

I think I can help with #4 Dorkitos - Concept by David Stepper, Painting by Neil Camera

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2010, 06:51:26 AM »
Hi Fred,

I think I can help with #4 Dorkitos - Concept by David Stepper, Painting by Neil Camera
I really like the dorky faces on the chips, and 'Dippy Chips' is a great line!  The foil bag and crimping looks nice - I'd love to see a larger image.  What's the odd shape at the top supposed to be?