Author Topic: ANS 7 Review  (Read 106702 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: ANS 7 Review
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
I got my binder from Topps today! Love the binder but I'm disappointed that the back side of the bonus card is plain white with no number!!! Are they all like this?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2010, 06:14:13 PM »
I got my binder from Topps today! Love the binder but I'm disappointed that the back side of the bonus card is plain white with no number!!! Are they all like this?

I think that's cool, blank white like the good ole days!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2010, 06:26:10 PM »
I'm a fan of Ghoul Scouts and Just for Wolfmen. I love the quiet menace of that little green scout and the names for the cookies on the side are very funny. The Wolfman's expression, the lighting, and the texture of the hair are all terrific.

I pitched the gag for Play-Doze and painted the final. I originally submitted the title for ANS4, in my very first batch of Topps gags, but Pay-Doh had already been accepted at the time. Dave Gross and Jeff Zapata both pitched in with ideas to make ANS7's Play-Doze better. Here are scans of the rough and the painting:

OK, trying to keep the thread somewhat on track, I'll start with the first three Wackys that were named in the thread.

1. Ghoul Scouts: I love the gag and the characters... I do agree with Loren, though, that there's too much green. I understand the box itself is green and that the Girl Scouts uniforms have green on them, but maybe making the ghoul's face another color would have helped.

2. Play-Doze: I like the artwork on the lid and the gag is pretty good. I like the simplicity of it.

3. Just For Wolfmen: Loved this one... terrific art and gag. The smaller picture of the "gray wolfman" adds a nice touch.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2010, 11:58:52 PM »
Hey that sounds pretty cool. Is it like the Old School stickers with the non-glossy coating?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:42 AM »
I think that's cool, blank white like the good ole days!

I'm still holding my breath for tan backs! Can't...hang...on...much...longerrrrrrrrrrr!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:04:08 AM by koduck »

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »
Overall I have to say the artwork and gags in ANS7 are excellent. Really enjoying them. :D

But I have to say (and not trying to be a party pooper by any means) none of my favorites are amongst the WOM's. Anyone else?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »
Overall I have to say the artwork and gags in ANS7 are excellent. Really enjoying them. :D

But I have to say (and not trying to be a party pooper by any means) none of my favorites are amongst the WOM's. Anyone else?
I was really hoping this one would have been popular. It's my art and Smokin Joe's gag.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2010, 03:58:05 PM »
My two favorite WOMs so far are the two coffee titles, Yubang & MOB.

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/992390366_752fc-X2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/992390549_Vr4ph-X2.jpg[/expando]

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline similecch

« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
My two favorite WOMs so far are the two coffee titles, Yubang & MOB.

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/992390366_752fc-X2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/992390549_Vr4ph-X2.jpg[/expando]

Thanks for your kind comments--YUBANG was one of my submissions! (Here's my quickly doodled version...)

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
I really like Yubang a lot!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »
It's my art and Smokin Joe's gag.
Choppertone is great – I hadn't seen it until now! The biker dude is awesome, from his glasses to his stars and stripes do-rag, and I like his expression (very important to me). It’s perfect for the scene. And your dog gives me a bit of a vintage Mack truck feel. And I like that the dog’s collar spikes match his claws.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:12:20 PM by Jean Nutty »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
I was really hoping this one would have been popular. It's my art and Smokin Joe's gag.
Who is saying it isn't? I already commented that it's one of the ones that cracked me up. Very funny visual!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
I really like Yubang a lot!

For some reason every time I see this title, I keep thinking of William Hung!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments--YUBANG was one of my submissions! (Here's my quickly doodled version...)

Some of these really need to be blown up (pun intended) to see the amazing artwork and details.  I love how the exploding coffee cup was painted.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »
For some reason every time I see this title, I keep thinking of William Hung!
I'm glad I'm not alone.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »
Is that one of the bonus stickers?

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
Is that one of the bonus stickers?

No it's one of the Wack-O-Mercial titles.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »
Choppertone is????  I dont have that one yet,  Is there a checklist with the wack-O-mercials on it.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »
Another WOM that I like a lot is Spread Bull.  I think the characters are done extremely well and just look to me like they belong on a Wacky.

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/992446556_HVfGR-X3.jpg[/expando]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »

That one really cracked me up when I saw it. It is one of my faves! :D

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »
Ok - now I really went through the WOM's again to see what I came up with for personal faves (and why) -- in order:

• MOB (like everything about it -- art and gag -- reminds me of OS Wackys)
  • Yubang (also reminds me of OS Wackys -- great name/gag and art)
  • ChopperTone (funny gag! -- love seeing it bigger! -- great artwork on bottle esp. perspective)
  • Sweet n' Slow (funny)
  • Crispux (bizarre gag)
  • Ogre Eaters (really bizarre gag)
  • CrimeTapp (like the gag and it's actually quite clear considering how much art there is)
  • BlubberKing (seems to kind of glow)

So I guess that's 8 out of 20. Better than I originally thought!

Thanks for posting the blow up of ChopperTone. I can see so much more detail in 'em like this that I see things I missed otherwise. :)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »
Since these three were just mentioned, here are some more roughs next to the finished pieces. The painters really stayed pretty faithful! I hope we get a list of the painters soon.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
I got my online order with the bonus boxes, binder, and cereal boxes.  Can I say how FREAKIN' AWESOME these cereal boxes are?

After I opened them, I folded them out and I'm trying to flat them out a little more so I can put them in my binder, too!

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
I thought I'd wait a few days to post this thread and give everyone time to get some stickers in hand.

What do you think of the new series? In other words, the artwork and the gags? Anyone have favorites yet?

Burnt Bees and Bumpkin Donuts, and Maggoty Ann are three of my favorites! Great artwork and writing all around!
My top FIVE (in order) are:

1) SEAGERM'S

2) HUNGRY-MANTIS (very Mars Attacks-esque)

3) BURNT BEE'S

4) PEEWEE'S TINY CATS

5) MOLTEN SALT

WHO PAINTED THESE!!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »
Who is saying it isn't? I already commented that it's one of the ones that cracked me up. Very funny visual!
I know you mentioned it but still seemed to be fading into the crowd. Glad you like it!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »
That one really cracked me up when I saw it. It is one of my faves! :D
Oh hey that's cool. Thanks for mentioning it!

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2010, 08:22:53 PM »
Since these three were just mentioned, here are some more roughs next to the finished pieces. The painters really stayed pretty faithful! I hope we get a list of the painters soon.

Man, I really like the rough on Ogre Eaters. The little Ogre Eaters and the expression on the Ogre's face are really reminiscent of OS Wacky type humor. The painted version loses some of the lightness of the rough, especially with the expression on the Ogre's face that looks like he really is being eaten. Kudos on the rough!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »
Ok - now I really went through the WOM's again to see what I came up with for personal faves (and why) -- in order:

• MOB (like everything about it -- art and gag -- reminds me of OS Wackys)
  • Yubang (also reminds me of OS Wackys -- great name/gag and art)
  • ChopperTone (funny gag! -- love seeing it bigger! -- great artwork on bottle esp. perspective)
  • Sweet n' Slow (funny)
  • Crispux (bizarre gag)
  • Ogre Eaters (really bizarre gag)
  • CrimeTapp (like the gag and it's actually quite clear considering how much art there is)
  • BlubberKing (seems to kind of glow)

So I guess that's 8 out of 20. Better than I originally thought!

Thanks for posting the blow up of ChopperTone. I can see so much more detail in 'em like this that I see things I missed otherwise. :)
Happy to oblige. Since Sweet N' Slow is also on your list, here's the art up close.I was torn between going with the goofy looking woman on Joe's sketch or going more with realism. You don't see much realism on Wacky's anymore and Norm had a great sense of when to use realism and when to get goofy. I figured this gag warranted realism. Zapata's response to this was nothing more than to say he was hoping the lady would have been silly looking. He left me wondering if I had ruined the gag. Not exactly a cheerleader, is he.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »
Happy to oblige. Since Sweet N' Slow is also on your list, here's the art up close.I was torn between going with the goofy looking woman on Joe's sketch or going more with realism. You don't see much realism on Wacky's anymore and Norm had a great sense of when to use realism and when to get goofy. I figured this gag warranted realism. Zapata's response to this was nothing more than to say he was hoping the lady would have been silly looking. He left me wondering if I had ruined the gag. Not exactly a cheerleader, is he.

Wow Mark, That's another one that I kind of panned and now seeing it like this I really like it a lot. Great job! 
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »
Oh hey that's cool. Thanks for mentioning it!
No, I am serious. I didn't laugh out loud at any others except for Chopper and Wiiz. Those are my faves from this series.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »
Wow Mark, That's another one that I kind of panned and now seeing it like this I really like it a lot. Great job! 
Thanks. I was under tremendous pressure from Topps to get it done quick so it's not my best.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
No, I am serious. I didn't laugh out loud at any others except for Chopper and Wiiz. Those are my faves from this series.
Excellent! Laughing out loud at a Wacky is an official thumbs up!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
Excellent! Laughing out loud at a Wacky is an official thumbs up!

I have never been to Sturgis for the bike rally but you really should consider doing that sketch up as patches. You could make a killing selling that patch to all the bikers next summer! I was in Spearfish a couple days before the rally and there were booths setup at gas stations to sell patches and sew them on right on the spot. I have no idea what they were charging. I am sure it wasn't cheap!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Man, I really like the rough on Ogre Eaters. The little Ogre Eaters and the expression on the Ogre's face are really reminiscent of OS Wacky type humor. The painted version loses some of the lightness of the rough, especially with the expression on the Ogre's face that looks like he really is being eaten. Kudos on the rough!

Thanks! That was a really fun one for me.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
Love seeing these blown up! So much detail in everyone's work! :D

(Still hoping for entire series done as 5 x 7's in parallel with regular sized -- Topps? Are you listening?!?)

The Sweet n' Slow done realistically is definitely a MUCH better choice imo. Silly would have ruined the gag -- would have taken away from the humor. The humor is in the fact that she has poured dozens of them in her cup and is still looking sweet n' innocent. Nicely done!

Love the bird hat with the $1 tag. If I remember from my childhood, that's an homage to the "sweet ol' gal" on Hee Haw? Correct?