Author Topic: ANS 7 Review  (Read 106782 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
ANS 7 Review
« on: August 27, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »
I thought I'd wait a few days to post this thread and give everyone time to get some stickers in hand.

What do you think of the new series? In other words, the artwork and the gags? Anyone have favorites yet?

Burnt Bees and Bumpkin Donuts, and Maggoty Ann are three of my favorites! Great artwork and writing all around!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:11:24 PM by koduck »

Offline Monsterettes

RE: ANS 7 Review
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
I thought I'd wait a few days to post this thread and give everyone time to get some stickers in hand.

What do you think of the new series? In other words, the artwork and the gags? Anyone have favorites yet?

Burnt Bees and Bumpkin Donuts, and Maggoty Ann are three of my favorites! Great artwork and writing all around!
I haven't had as much time as I want with the ANS7 stickers yet, but some really, really great stuff (and admittedly, some wackys I'm not crazy about.)  I agree Neil, Maggoty Ann is out of this world, and Burnt Bees is great!  Other favs:  Ghould Scouts, Just for Wolfmen,  Kreepy Kreme, Ditz, Grape Newts, Raven Bran, Log Coffin (wait, hmm, I'm seeing a monster pattern), Clunky, and Kiss Kat.  Looking forward to the weekend when I can relax and relish the wacky wave!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »

My initial impression is that I like this series alot and find some of the artwork to be stellar.

My faves so far (artistically speaking) are Ditz, V6, Grape-Newts, Twitley, Raven Bran, Smugglers.... for starters anyway.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:26:42 PM »

My initial impression is that I like this series alot and find some of the artwork to be stellar.

My faves so far are Ditz, V6, Grape-Newts, Twitley, Raven Bran, Smugglers.... for starters anyway.
Yeah, Twitley is a great gag.  Interesting to see such a political wacky.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »
I haven't had as much time as I want with the ANS7 stickers yet, but some really, really great stuff (and admittedly, some wackys I'm not crazy about.)  I agree Neil, Maggoty Ann is out of this world, and Burnt Bees is great!  Other favs:  Ghould Scouts, Just for Wolfmen,  Kreepy Kreme, Ditz, Grape Newts, Raven Bran, Log Coffin (wait, hmm, I'm seeing a monster pattern), Clunky, and Kiss Kat.  Looking forward to the weekend when I can relax and relish the wacky wave!

I was just telling someone else that sticker #1 is an awesome scary Wacky, and that the trend continues in the set!  Like you, I need some time to really examine the artwork, but I agree with a number of your choices.  Ghoul Scouts, Just for Wolfmen, Bumpkin Dimwits, Stupid Pretzel, Kreepy Kreme, Ditz, Grape Newts, County Time, Raven Bran, Log Coffin, and Maggoty Ann are my present favorites.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
Ruffled Chips is my favorite by far.  That one really cracked me up.

DrDeal

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »

Just opened my first packs tonight, and one thing I noticed that seem to stand out is the art seems cleaner and less cluttered than pasy ANS series.  It's significant enough where I'm wondering if the artists made a concerted effort to do them this way.  I need to digest them as little longer but overall I think this series may be my favorite ANS series so far!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »
Yeah, Twitley is a great gag.  Interesting to see such a political wacky.
I'm sad to hear you say this. Americans have always had a healthy habit of ridiculing politicians and government. But now we're turning around and ridiculing American citizens who stand up against the powers that rule. It could have been worse but then Topps got wimpy about it and put a politician on it instead of a patriotic guy with a flag shirt or something. It makes no sense to have a politician on there rallying against politicians. And spelling it wrong on his sign. What's that about? I'm not a member of the tea party or the Republican party. But I know that speaking out in defense of liberty is never a bad thing. This "gag" refers to them as complainers and idiots. No other Wacky has ever offended me before but this one seriously does. I'm going to buy the art and cook hot dogs over it.

Nice rendering though. The teacup is impressive.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:26:39 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »
I wonder if you would be equally offended if the sticker made fun of liberals.

I like the piece. I think it's a pretty accurate representation.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:09:49 PM by Gurgle »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 05:54:27 AM »
Will the dropped from ANS7 Sparker towels be considered for ANS8 if Topps gets a green light?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 06:40:33 AM »
I'm sad to hear you say this. Americans have always had a healthy habit of ridiculing politicians and government. But now we're turning around and ridiculing American citizens who stand up against the powers that rule. It could have been worse but then Topps got wimpy about it and put a politician on it instead of a patriotic guy with a flag shirt or something. It makes no sense to have a politician on there rallying against politicians. And spelling it wrong on his sign. What's that about? I'm not a member of the tea party or the Republican party. But I know that speaking out in defense of liberty is never a bad thing. This "gag" refers to them as complainers and idiots. No other Wacky has ever offended me before but this one seriously does. I'm going to buy the art and cook hot dogs over it.

I admit to being surprised that this gag was so political. Personally, I wouldn't want to see more than a sprinkling of topical/political titles; however, this one struck me as a funny parody worthy of inclusion (it's just too bad they couldn't squeeze in a "teabagger" reference - now that's a funny word).

I didn't really completely get the "polititions" thing either, but a quick Google search turned up a link to the top 24 ridiculous and misspelled Tea Party protest signs (the 4th one has "polititions")

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/galleries/teabonics_the_flawed_language_of_protest/teabonics_the_flawed_language_of_protest.html

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 06:43:52 AM »
No other Wacky has ever offended me before but this one seriously does.
And we thought the days of offensive Wackys were over... :-)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
And we thought the days of offensive Wackys were over... :-)

I'm not sure which one I'm more offended by - Twitley's complicity in spreading the agenda of the Obama admin, or the anguish of the suffocating kitties in Tiny Cats.

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »

I don't think he's supposed to be dressed like a politician, more like the Mad hatter from Alice in Wonderland.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »

I'm very curious to see an artist list -- if any of the artists are game to share information on which wackys they painted and if that's cool with the powers that be.  I always go through a new set and try to determine for myself who painted what.  Then fun to see how many I got right! Helps me hone my eye for different people styles. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »
I'm not sure which one I'm more offended by - Twitley's complicity in spreading the agenda of the Obama admin, or the anguish of the suffocating kitties in Tiny Cats.
I still haven’t gotten over this title.
[expando]http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/6th_2007/scans/base/31_front_dorka_small.jpg[/expando]
(Sorry, I couldn’t find the Series 6 thread)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »

I'm offended by Commie cleanser because of its complicity in spreading the agenda of Nixon and the Republican machine. They are simply turning around and ridiculing American citizens who stand up against powers that rule. They say they will "cleanse" the country by getting rid of hippies (who were speaking out for liberty, which is never a bad thing) and associates them with Communists. That's offensive and fascist. No other Wacky has ever offended me but this one seriously does, retroactively. And it's so totally not because I'm a Democrat, it's the principle.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »
I'm going to buy the art and cook hot dogs over it.

Funny. 

I'm going to stick one of these Wackys onto Joe the Plumber's toolbox. 

As for the idea of buying the artwork to destroy - yeouch!    Though I'm sure that'll be as effective as someone buying one of your works to destroy it, because they felt it was offensive to their personal sensitivities. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »

The teacup is exactly why it is on my list. 
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 11:52:07 AM »
If I was forced to pick a couple Wackys which could be considered offensive, I think it would be these two.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
If you had posted that on Facebook, I would have pressed the "Like" button.

I'm offended by Commie cleanser because of its complicity in spreading the agenda of Nixon and the Republican machine. They are simply turning around and ridiculing American citizens who stand up against powers that rule. They say they will "cleanse" the country by getting rid of hippies (who were speaking out for liberty, which is never a bad thing) and associates them with Communists. That's offensive and fascist. No other Wacky has ever offended me but this one seriously does, retroactively. And it's so totally not because I'm a Democrat, it's the principle.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »
If you have the ANS7 Schnozmopolitan foil, compare it to the original album sticker (or Flashback). A joke is missing from the foil version.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
If you have the ANS7 Schnozmopolitan foil, compare it to the original album sticker (or Flashback). A joke is missing from the foil version.

Really leaves an obvious open space.  Maybe they should have altered the text or replaced it.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 04:10:40 PM »
Really leaves an obvious open space.  Maybe they should have altered the text or replaced it.

Not sure I really got the joke of the line that they omitted anyway.  Definitely doesn't hurt the overall parody.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »
I wonder if you would be equally offended if the sticker made fun of liberals.

I like the piece. I think it's a pretty accurate representation.
It's accurate if all you want to observe about rallies is the kooks. Go to any liberal rally or any rally of any kind and you'll find the most obvious common trait is kooks. Kooks will show up at anybody's rally. I guess if the gag is referring to the kooks rather than the decent people at the core who really want to stand up for something then it's really not that bad. I don't mind jokes about liberals or conservatives. But I see the tea party movement as an action of the people, not politicians and I have some respect for that.

If the flattened cat bothers you then Tom & Jerry must be a horror show for you!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »
Funny. 

I'm going to stick one of these Wackys onto Joe the Plumber's toolbox. 

As for the idea of buying the artwork to destroy - yeouch!    Though I'm sure that'll be as effective as someone buying one of your works to destroy it, because they felt it was offensive to their personal sensitivities. 

I was kidding about cooking the art.

Joe the Plumber got Obama to admit spreading wealth but anybody could have caused that slip. The whole marketing of Joe the Plumber was ridiculous. I'd like to see a "Joe the Plumber" Wacky gag.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »
Not sure I really got the joke of the line that they omitted anyway.  Definitely doesn't hurt the overall parody.

As it was, the line that was omitted was a watered-down version of the original line that Jay wrote. Check the rough:

http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/roughs/pictures/schnoz.jpg

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »
As it was, the line that was omitted was a watered-down version of the original line that Jay wrote. Check the rough:

http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/roughs/pictures/schnoz.jpg

Well at least that makes more scents!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 07:22:52 PM »
It's accurate if all you want to observe about rallies is the kooks. Go to any liberal rally or any rally of any kind and you'll find the most obvious common trait is kooks. Kooks will show up at anybody's rally. I guess if the gag is referring to the kooks rather than the decent people at the core who really want to stand up for something then it's really not that bad. I don't mind jokes about liberals or conservatives. But I see the tea party movement as an action of the people, not politicians and I have some respect for that.

If the flattened cat bothers you then Tom & Jerry must be a horror show for you!

If jokes about political movements that are actions of the people bothers you, then attacks on liberal grassroots organizations must be a horror show for you!

Truthfully, I find no Wackys offensive. If you read my carefully worded post, I wrote: "If I was FORCED to pick a couple Wackys which COULD be considered offensive, I think it would be these two." Those two were the closest I could come.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
I'm offended by anyone offended by any Wacky

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »
Well at least that makes more scents!
you nose it!

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 10:48:07 PM »
Haven't had a chance to really look at the artwork in detail yet but overall was VERY impressed with it. Crispy clear and reminds me a lot of ANS1 (and my favorite ANS sticker, ChimpStick). Very colorful stuff and hope it is a sign of things to come (OS2+ and ANS8+).

The few Wackys that semi-offended me were: 1991 Pigtionary, 1991 Little Dead Kitten, 1991 DuckBar, and ANS1 Gravestones (believe it or not). There's something about the parodies of the newer series that can sometimes have an "edge" of grimness and/or anger that isn't as fun or funny for me as the vintage OS series.

With Little Dead Kitten for example, I don't think the blood is necessary at all. With DuckBar the duck appears really angry as opposed to confused/exasperated, and Pigtionary and Gravestones have a grimness I can't quite put a finger on.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 10:56:54 PM »
I was kidding about cooking the art.

Joe the Plumber got Obama to admit spreading wealth but anybody could have caused that slip. The whole marketing of Joe the Plumber was ridiculous. I'd like to see a "Joe the Plumber" Wacky gag.

I'm glad you were kidding about the art destruction.

I realize that we have become a more polarized society these days, at least politically-speaking, and it can make us seemingly humorless at times.  Clearly that's not the case, though.   There are things I support, and people I support, that are worthy of parody at times.   I'd like to think I've retained my sense of humor about the things I care about and support, and I hope we all can, while still caring, and taking things seriously. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 11:38:22 PM »
A little off topic but I saw these little 4 & 5 oz cereal boxes at Walgreens today and they reminded me of the mini cereal boxes that'll be showing up in early September.
To try to keep it slightly on topic, I have placed them next to one of my very favorite ANS7 stickers.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:44:40 PM by Sue Mee »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »
I'm offended by anyone offended by any Wacky
I'm just glad Wackys still have half a testicle left that they can still offend somebody. Unfortunately this time it was the politically minded grown-up in me. They SHOULD offend adults sometimes. Kids love that.