Author Topic: Fall Philly Show-Oct 19th/20th.  (Read 9920 times)

Online bigtomi

Re: Fall Philly Show-Oct 19th/20th.
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 01:20:48 PM »
The last thing I want to do is jump to any conclusions, But it seems to me that this show doesn't seem to measure up to anyone's standards on here anymore ... But I really miss the shows of the past when every spring and fall show had 15 or 20 in attendance every time.
I think you are being way too cynical here and think you can put the noose away. We can't always all make it, as John Lennon would say, "Life is what gets in the way while you're making other plans". I, for example, had a vacation planned, so couldn't be there this time. Big deal. Also, the list of active members is in flux all the time. Consider: if this show was in Nebraska instead of Pennsylvania, how often would you be there? Hopefully, next show will have a better forum turnout...but maybe not.

Offline drono

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »
The last thing I want to do is jump to any conclusions, But it seems to me that this show doesn't seem to measure up to anyone's standards on here anymore. I really miss the shows of the past when every spring and fall show had 15 or 20 in attendance every time.

If I didn't live six hours away, I go to every one of them.  It's a lot of driving for a weekend, and I'm not getting any younger.  I've found quite a few things at every one I've attended, so I'd definitely be there.  I've been to a lot of baseball, comic, toy, or nostalgia collectors shows within a two hour radius, and maybe one person has Wacky Packages, and of course they don't have anything I need.

Offline quas

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 01:53:19 PM »

For a show that was only just last week, I'm surprised there aren't any photos, reports of any good finds, (Other than what I posted). ETC. The last thing I want to do is jump to any conclusions, But it seems to me that this show doesn't seem to measure up to anyone's standards on here anymore. Collectors are always disappointed when the ones that are seasoned veterans that attend religiously don't show up because of distance, or not enough fun money, or whatever. And granted those are good reasons. But I really miss the shows of the past when every spring and fall show had 15 or 20 in attendance every time. For those who did make it last weekend, You all know it was the 71st show, C'mon guys, Not too many states in the good ol U.S. of A can say they are able to put a non-sport show on a frequent basis and if it weren't for the late Frank and Phyllis Reichter and Roxanne Toser and her great family involved, We wouldn't have had all of the fun times we have all shared over the last 25 or 30 yrs. Another complaint I have noticed is everybody that says, "Why don't we ever get any new dealers at this show". I'll admit I'd like to see some new faces as well, But let's face facts, the dealers that do show up for each show obviously love the hobby and doing the shows. So let's be grateful that they do make an appearance.

Thanks Mark. Excellent thoughts and excellent post.  Let's make the spring show a good one, if for no other reason than to all get together and enjoy each other's Wacky company.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »
I think you are being way too cynical here and think you can put the noose away. We can't always all make it, as John Lennon would say, "Life is what gets in the way while you're making other plans". I, for example, had a vacation planned, so couldn't be there this time. Big deal. Also, the list of active members is in flux all the time. Consider: if this show was in Nebraska instead of Pennsylvania, how often would you be there? Hopefully, next show will have a better forum turnout...but maybe not.

I agree, and I'm tired of feeling guilty for being unable to attend.  For the April show I even sponsored an artist, knowing I couldn't be there.

Many years ago, there used to be nice collectible shows every month (or every other month?) in Rockville Centre.  I was a teenager, so my mother used to drive me, almost an hour each way.  There were a few non-sports card dealers, movie posters, some action figures and toys, and some sports cards.  That's where I bought beautiful keeper sets of the Wacky reissues as they were issued.  Movie Treasures was the dealer I always went to first for cards.  When that show ended, he used to comp me in to the Creation Con dealer room at shows in NYC.  My mother even drove into NYC for me.  But, even when I was old enough to drive, I never went further than NYC until the 3 or 4 shows I made in Allentown.  Since then, my family obligations and responsibilities have changed, and I can't go that far anymore.  I need to be here for my mother - cannot be 3 hours away.  And some of you might not believe the tolls to get off this island and out of the state.

Quite honestly, I'd love to not just attend at Allentown, but to volunteer to help run the show.  I helped run the huge dealer's room at I-Con for several years.  But, the venue (Stony Brook University) was 15 minutes from home.  Three days of 7am - midnight craziness and running around, but I loved it.  Funny though, that was primarily sci-fi, but I found my last missing Wacky alternate back puzzle piece there.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:55:55 PM by RawGoo »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2019, 04:06:25 PM »
I am planning on attending the spring show - have every year since we found out about it!

Richard & Paula
#StayWacky

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »
This last show seemed (to me, at least) more GPK oriented.  The $20 show card(s) was GPK.  As was George Wright's latest offering.  (Being I'm not into GPK at all, I didn't get either.)  It was nice to have met Brent Engstrom, and he was kind enough to autograph a "My Little Bony" puzzle for me.  I also picked up a few 16th titles from Matt Stock.  Usually I hang around for the duration of the show, however this time there wasn't a "Putting on the Ratz" dinner (which I like attending) so I left early.  Without the dinner and a lack of WP offerings, the show just wasn't the same for me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 05:41:02 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »

1st of all, the last thing I want to be is cynical on here, So I apologize if it came out that way. 2nd I'm just a traditional kind of person, I look forward to every spring and fall show that I'm able to attend and in all the 28 yrs. that I've been going to shows, I've probably only missed 2 or 3. And let's make 1 thing perfectly clear, I did state there are very good reasons if you aren't able to attend a show and I don't have to list them again, It's a different reason for each individual and we should admire and respect each person for their decision.
But of course if there is nothing preventing you from coming and you like this hobby as much as you all say, Then I say attend as many shows as you possibly can. And like I also stated, PA. has a stronghold as 1 of the states that still puts these shows on, And I for one am very grateful for that.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »
National Spittoon posted some good finds.

You are right, He did locate some good items.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2019, 04:34:02 PM »

Good point.  We almost never saw the regulars at the shows out here in CA back in the day!  It was me & John & Paul & Phil, and an occasional visit from GG.  It's more than just the $ for travel, though.  Some people have 'chock-full' work & home lives that can't possibly allow for the time it takes to travel.  And they've made air travel much more of a hassle than it used to be too.  I never fly anywhere I can't drive in a day or two. 

I've always been nostalgic about the old days & the old way of trading Wackys (pre-eBay was fun as hell).  But times have definitely changed and most people are in a different place entirely than when we were running around like kids in our 30s with moderately-disposable incomes, less responsibilities, and cheaper Wackys to be had (which guaranteed that the hobby could pay for itself if you played your cards right and were first to the good stuff).  There's no fun in going to shows only to see either ANS packs, or over-priced OS swill that some sports-card dealer found in a box of garage-sale crap & priced based on PSA GEM-MT-10 prices listed on unsold eBay auctions.  Just like the Wrapper-toting, mid-century-card collectors had to do when all of us crazy Wacky Pack & GPK collectors muscled in on their nostalgic parade... we've gotta let go and realize that the NEW "Vintage" craze is all the 30-somethings pulling out their Pokemon cards & reminiscing about the good-ole-days like we did.  Maybe in another 10 or 20 years, the ANS people will get to have the same cool Wacky revival we had.  Who knows.  But the brick-and-mortar "card shows" have been dead for a long time.  What someone should do is just start up a "meetup.com" group in an area with tons of Wacky collectors or something.

That's my 5¢ anyway
(price of a pack)

anything