Author Topic: Wikipedia Wacky Packages article altered  (Read 17213 times)

Offline mikecho

Re: Wikipedia Wacky Packages article altered
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2022, 09:25:28 PM »
Stop reading the page?
Yes, maybe, but I'd just like to wipe the slate clean just to spite them all. Then, maybe I can go back to editing without even having an account. That'll put them in their place for sure.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 09:27:56 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2022, 02:00:18 PM »
Now I just found out I've been banned on Wikipedia and they didn't even have the decency to tell me to my face! Now what do I do? I can't even make an appeal to be unbanned, or delete my account so I can start all over again! This isn't fair! Who are the dummies behind this spiteful treatment and why are they doing this to me?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 04:50:59 PM by mikecho »

Offline drono

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
Now I just found out I've been banned on Wikipedia and they didn't even have the decency to tell me to my face! Now what do I do? I can't even make an appeal to be unbanned, or delete my account so I can start all over again!

How are they banning you?  By IP address?  If not, then what's to stop you from just creating a new account as John Smith and editing away?  If they are, what's to stop you from using a proxy service to spoof your IP?  It seems like nothing on the Internet is impenetrable if you know how to get around it.

Excuse my naivety; I've never considered editing a wiki page, so I have no idea how the process works.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2022, 03:39:41 PM »
How are they banning you?  By IP address?  If not, then what's to stop you from just creating a new account as John Smith and editing away?  If they are, what's to stop you from using a proxy service to spoof your IP?  It seems like nothing on the Internet is impenetrable if you know how to get around it.

Excuse my naivety; I've never considered editing a wiki page, so I have no idea how the process works.
They've blocked my ability to create a new account as well. I've got no choice but to hope someone on there takes pity on me and decides to un-ban me.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2022, 08:33:27 PM »
They've blocked my ability to create a new account as well. I've got no choice but to hope someone on there takes pity on me and decides to un-ban me.
With all the editing work you do for greg's site and given he has time to fight ebay for weeks about a $30 item he didn't receive in a timely manner from someone who died of covid, can't he help you with this fight?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline mikecho

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2022, 05:21:00 PM »
Now some idiot took off my addition of OLDS 10 to the OLDS section of the Wikipedia article!

I WANT SOMEONE TO PUT THAT ADDITION BACK IN AND I WANT IT DONE NOW!!!!! I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS!!!!! CAN'T SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? I'M DOING ALL THIS AT A PUBLIC LIBRARY, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! HOW DO THEY KNOW IT'S ME, BLAST IT?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 05:33:06 PM by mikecho »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2022, 02:02:50 AM »
Save a copy of whatever you type. You could even post it on this thread. If they remove it, copy and paste it back. Don’t waste your time with these additions if you know this will be the result.

And, for the record, I doubt it has to do with you. Rather someone likely wrote most of the article and doesn’t like that someone is editing it. Stupid, but might be the case.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2022, 08:13:35 AM »
Now some idiot took off my addition of OLDS 10 to the OLDS section of the Wikipedia article!

I WANT SOMEONE TO PUT THAT ADDITION BACK IN AND I WANT IT DONE NOW!!!!! I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS!!!!! CAN'T SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? I'M DOING ALL THIS AT A PUBLIC LIBRARY, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! HOW DO THEY KNOW IT'S ME, BLAST IT?
It is fairly obvious to me that greg's additions stay since under external links, his mall has a stand alone link and there is no way a for sale dedicated page is informative and priority.  The way he talks to you on his forum should give you some insight into his level of disrespect he has for you so not sure why you keep coming here yelling at people in all caps.  Go find out from him how his changes stay yet your changes do not.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2022, 10:28:05 AM »
I must admit I don’t understand how Wikipedia works. Who is ultimately in charge of how a given page should be? If anyone can truly edit these pages, there will never be a consistent feel to the articles.

I just read the wacky Wikipedia page, and it seems well written and appropriate as it is. A decision has been made (by someone) on what level of detail is appropriate, and that seems to be consistently enforced. There is no detailed information about any ANS series. Rather, certain facts that are deemed interesting about ANS are included.

Who made these judgments, or where their authority comes from, I don’t understand. But you should understand that things you add will not necessarily be consistent with that feel, and may not be appropriate for a page like this.

Wouldn’t it be better for you to write your own history of wackys? Then you can include whatever level of detail you wish and you will be free from all of these worries.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2022, 01:33:41 PM »
It is fairly obvious to me that greg's additions stay since under external links, his mall has a stand alone link and there is no way a for sale dedicated page is informative and priority.  The way he talks to you on his forum should give you some insight into his level of disrespect he has for you so not sure why you keep coming here yelling at people in all caps.  Go find out from him how his changes stay yet your changes do not.
What in the world are you talking about? And what do you mean by that crack about "how he talks to [me] on his forum"? This is the Wikipedia Wacky Packages article I'm talking about, not Greg's forum. Besides, I did the all caps because I was angry at the situation.

Besides, Greg's been nothing but good to me. If it wasn't for him, I'd never have finished the Wacky Packages Boxes run (remind me to tell you guys and gals that story sometime; it's a very good one). For that, I owe him a debt I can never repay.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:24:31 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2022, 03:41:10 PM »
What do you mean "how he talks to you on his forum"? This is the Wikipedia Wacky Packages article I'm talking about, not Greg's forum. Besides, I did the all caps because I was angry.

Besides, Greg's been nothing but good to me. If it wasn't for him, I'd never have finished the Wacky Packages Boxes run (remind me to tell you guys and gals that story sometime; it's a very good one). For that, I owe him a debt I can never repay.
If it weren’t for him you couldn’t have finished the ‘Wacky Packages Boxes’ run?  More accurately, if it weren’t for him, that set of cards would not exist.  Because he made it, it’s one of his bootleg / knock-off sets.  And he charges a lot for them.  You owe him a debt you can never repay?  C’mon, you can’t be serious.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2022, 04:33:15 PM »
Okay, you want to hear the story I mentioned above? You got it, brother.

I was buying each one of the series at $35.00 (I had told Greg I was unemployed and we came to a mutual agreement). A few series in, my father said that it wasn't practical and I couldn't afford it (even though I was paying for for it out of my own money (allowances and money I earned from odd jobs), so he said I couldn't do it.

When I told Greg about this, he got an idea: continue proofreading his web site for him (which I was already doing for him before I decided to buy these series) and he'd help me finish the run where I'd been told to stop, which he did. And he sent me multiple series at once (four at a time four times and then the last three one time), both when I was paying for them and when I wasn't. As a result, I've got all 19 series in the run plus an unexpected surprise - the original checklist puzzle for the Bonus Pack series, which was originally going to have nine stickers in it, but was changed to 11 stickers instead. He didn't have to do that last part - indeed, he could've chosen not to tell me about the original Bonus Pack checklist puzzle at all - but he did it anyway.

And what do you mean by that crack about their being bootlegs? C'mon, even Patrick (Fanatical_and_Sickly) helped him create this series. Where could this artwork possibly have come from to be bootlegged, anyway? Besides, I've already said (and thought, in this case) that this run was the least offensive of all the sets he's offered on his forum. You all know what I'm talking about: the Lost Wackys 1st Series and 2nd Series are both praised to high Heaven (and even make it into the Master Spreadsheet) while the Lost Wackys 3rd Series, 4th Series and 2020 Series, plus the Wacky Pack Variations series, are all treated like redheaded stepchildren. At least Wacky Packages Boxes can't be yelled at for stealing or altering someone else's artwork, the former in the case of the three Lost Wackys series and the latter in the case of the Varations run.

To me, this all seems like a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 04:54:51 PM by mikecho »

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2022, 04:40:18 PM »
Maybe you should "proffread" your own posts...

Offline mikecho

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2022, 04:45:51 PM »
Maybe you should "proffread" your own posts...
I did; it's fixed. Point made.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 04:52:49 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2022, 05:34:03 PM »
And what do you mean by that crack about their being bootlegs? C'mon, even Patrick (Fanatical_and_Sickly) helped him create this series.
Ok, so he helped you out in exchange for doing some work on his website.  Fair enough.

And yes, as far as the bootleg/knockoff comment, the “boxes” set is only a series of photos of boxes, hardly anything scandalous.  But NINETEEN series of nothing but box photos?  That’s insane. It must have every hobby box, bonus box, gravity feed, etc to go along with the vintage stuff.   If all you want is images of boxes, the Gallery (Argyropolous book) has everything through 1991 (granted the book is no longer an easy find but should still be attainable), and any number of box completists on this forum have the actual boxes of everything from the ANS era, if you’ve been in this hobby long enough the opportunity to get all or nearly all of them was well within reach.  If you’re just entering the hobby now and want all these images, i guess have at it.  Do I expect to see each ‘series’ listed in a Beckett price guide for $35 or more?  Not likely.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2022, 06:44:07 PM »
Ok, so he helped you out in exchange for doing some work on his website.  Fair enough.

And yes, as far as the bootleg/knockoff comment, the “boxes” set is only a series of photos of boxes, hardly anything scandalous.  But NINETEEN series of nothing but box photos?  That’s insane. It must have every hobby box, bonus box, gravity feed, etc to go along with the vintage stuff.   If all you want is images of boxes, the Gallery (Argyropolous book) has everything through 1991 (granted the book is no longer an easy find but should still be attainable), and any number of box completists on this forum have the actual boxes of everything from the ANS era, if you’ve been in this hobby long enough the opportunity to get all or nearly all of them was well within reach.  If you’re just entering the hobby now and want all these images, i guess have at it.  Do I expect to see each ‘series’ listed in a Beckett price guide for $35 or more?  Not likely.
Actually, it was every kind of box that was available at the time the run was made. And two of the boxes were never released - the lost 1992 Series and the Star Wars Wacky Packages series - so they were represented by existing artwork of them (and before anyone asks, no, I've got no idea where those two came from).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 08:07:43 PM by mikecho »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2022, 08:44:09 PM »
What in the world are you talking about? And what do you mean by that crack about "how he talks to [me] on his forum"? This is the Wikipedia Wacky Packages article I'm talking about, not Greg's forum. Besides, I did the all caps because I was angry at the situation.

Ok so you have massive ocd in proof reading and updating stuff but you don't actually comprehend what is being said, fair enough....I have been told he scolds you like a child on a regular basis on his forum.  My point was his updates DO stay on the wiki page so doesn't it seem logical to find out why his updates stay and yours don't?  Perhaps have him put your updates up as part of the "favors" you do for each other.  HAND him over this JOB in exchange for further testing of his bug ridden wacky mall.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2022, 04:28:56 PM »
Ok so you have massive ocd in proof reading and updating stuff but you don't actually comprehend what is being said, fair enough....I have been told he scolds you like a child on a regular basis on his forum.  My point was his updates DO stay on the wiki page so doesn't it seem logical to find out why his updates stay and yours don't?  Perhaps have him put your updates up as part of the "favors" you do for each other.  HAND him over this JOB in exchange for further testing of his bug ridden wacky mall.
I never saw Greg "scold [me] like a child on a regular basis on his forum". Who told you that, and where has it been done? I must have proof of this, and you'll forgive me if I'm skeptical, seeing as how I know you don't like him and he doesn't like you. I would prefer not to get caught in the middle of this feud.

And btw, I'm not helping him with the mall, just the website pages.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 12:21:33 PM by mikecho »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2022, 12:44:29 PM »
I never saw Greg "scold [me] like a child on a regular basis on his forum". Who told you that, and where has it been done? I must have proof of this, and you'll forgive me if I'm skeptical, seeing as how I know you don't like him and he doesn't like you. I would prefer not to get caught in the middle of this feud.

LOL, you MUST have proof of this?   His posts are directly to you so if you are not aware enough to see it as scolding, how do I prove it to you?  Now you habitually keep skipping the main question perhaps because the answer WILL PROVE to you greg's disdain for you....since you like caps, here goes....WHY ARE YOU NOT ASKING GREG TO MAKE THE UPDATES ON WIKI FOR YOU SINCE HIS UPDATES CLEARLY GET APPROVED?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2022, 06:04:14 PM »
LOL, you MUST have proof of this?   His posts are directly to you so if you are not aware enough to see it as scolding, how do I prove it to you?  Now you habitually keep skipping the main question perhaps because the answer WILL PROVE to you greg's disdain for you....since you like caps, here goes....WHY ARE YOU NOT ASKING GREG TO MAKE THE UPDATES ON WIKI FOR YOU SINCE HIS UPDATES CLEARLY GET APPROVED?
I already did; no need to get your bowels in an uproar. He said he's teaching now, but he knows it has to be done and will do it when he can. He didn't scold me at all.

You can prove it to me by showing me where the scolding is on his forum. What pages have this scolding? It sounds to me as if you're talking through your hat. I don't hardly talk on that forum unless I see something to comment on, I talk to him directly on his personal email. And he's been nothing but a gentleman. He appreciates what I'm doing for him. He told me that he never deletes any and all of his email messages, so as long as Google stays in business, he's got every typo I've given him up to now which, I must say, is an enormous number.

In fact, it's so enormous it'll probably take months, maybe years, to get it all done, but I've looked through all the pages on the web site and I believe I've got practically all of the typos that have been on there for quite some time after it was created. Anything else after all that is just checking on new pages and new additions whenever they pop up...which isn't, and hasn't been, often. Besides, I don't mind. I'm in no hurry. In fact, I've got nothing but time.

And another thing, what specific edits did he make on the Wikipedia article on Wacky Packages? I didn't notice anything different from what was already on there before. Again, let's see some proof to back up your statements. It's only fair.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 12:34:40 AM by mikecho »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2022, 09:14:07 PM »
I already did; no need to get your bowels in an uproar. He said he's teaching now, but he knows it has to be done and will do it when he can. He didn't scold me at all.

You can prove it to me by showing me where the scolding is on his forum. What pages have this scolding? It sounds to me as if you're talking through your hat. I don't hardly talk on that forum unless I see something to comment on, I talk to him directly on his personal email. And he's been nothing but a gentleman. He appreciates what I'm doing for him. He told me that he never deletes any and all of his email messages, so as long as Google stays in business, he's got every typo I've given him up to now which, I must say, is an enormous amount.

In fact, it's so enormous it'll probably take months, maybe years, to get it all done, but I've looked through all the pages on the web site and I believe I've got practically all of the typos that have been on there for quite some time after it was created. Anything else after all that is just checking on new pages and new additions whenever they pop up...which isn't, and hasn't been, often. Besides, I don't mind. I'm in no hurry. In fact, I've got nothing but time.

And another thing, what specific edits did he make on the Wikipedia article on Wacky Packages? I didn't notice anything different from what was already on there before. Again, let's see some proof to back up your statements. It's only fair.
Well this makes perfect sense....for months you have been trying to update Wiki....but greg is teaching now that school has started again and well he just doesn't have the time so run along......I have no doubt you have provided him an enormous amount(actually "number" since itemized items aren't measured in amounts....) of typos for greg to cleanup.  I am sure it is like finding leaves on the ground in the fall.....

Offline drono

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2022, 12:31:24 PM »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2022, 02:03:44 PM »
So for those of us in the class that don’t have a log-in for that forum, what did he say?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2022, 03:20:09 PM »
I can remember at least two instances where Greg was not so polite to you on his forum:
https://wackypacks.com/forum/messages.php?mode=&a=1&t=118&mn=11&stealth=
https://wackypacks.com/forum/messages.php?mode=u&a=1&t=23&mn=98&stealth=
Yuppers, I have been told there are many more examples.  Then I heard recently that greg is just admonishing everyone in class not just Mikecho for not responding to newbie posts when greg isn't available and that wacky mall was just a test of us peons and that his real intent is to take the mall to GPK and other real collector groups.  We are mere peasants!  Who knew?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2022, 03:43:55 PM »
I can recall one incident in which he scolded you for asking one too many times about the status of one of his projects.  Can’t remember which one, maybe the handwritten ‘Jay Lynch manuscript’ which he was looking to possibly convert to typeset for eventual publication?  Not the best example though, IMO he was kind of justified for laying into you a little bit.  You were being a bit of a nudge on the subject, kind of like . . . . . Wikipedia.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2022, 03:49:44 PM »

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: "What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?"

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2022, 04:50:39 PM »
Ermey rules!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2022, 09:05:44 PM »
I can remember at least two instances where Greg was not so polite to you on his forum:

Greg is such a petulant child!   I can't even login as "guest".    This is the first time I've tried in a few decades just because I was curious to see these links.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2022, 09:14:42 PM »
... so as long as Google stays in business, he's got every typo I've given him up to now which, I must say, is an enormous number.

In fact, it's so enormous it'll probably take months, maybe years, to get it all done ...

Do you have ANY IDEA how RIDICULOUS you sound?

"I'm just saying....I've found google errors....googleplex errors!   It will take several lifetimes to correct them!   I am the GOD of typos!!!! "
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2022, 05:10:50 AM »
To:   mikecho 
Posted: Thursday 9:50 am, June 9, 2022
message 118.11 in reply to 118.9
Can you explain why you needed to post that quote from the maggot in order to ask my advice on wikipedia?

What do you think would have happened had you simply asked me without posting that quote?

Obviously you posted that not to justify you asking me about wikipedia - because you could have simply just asked anyway - but because you wanted to post it, probably just to stir up friction?

If you're going to be slimy, you really have to be less transparent about it.  You have to be smart to be devious, otherwise you just look ... well, devious.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2022, 05:12:57 AM »

To:   mikecho 
Posted: Thursday 10:01 am, May 26, 2022
message 23.98 in reply to 23.97

Well you posted on May 16th "I think there should a second edition of the Jay Lynch Wacky Sketches book with the Battle Caps sketch put in. I sure want it!"

And I replied "I said I was going to do that this year"

Then you posted nine days later "I just got a great idea! Why not include the missing Battle Caps Wacky sketch in this book?"

So saying you "just got" a great idea that you already posted nine days ago and already got a reply to is right in line with a lot of things you do that qualify as "nagging".

I think people have tried to tell you quite a few times that you do this kind of thing, but it never seems to sink in.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2022, 06:16:03 AM »

So now a small subset of the messages I was referring to have been posted here and links provided. Be sure there are many more but finding and posting them I believe we will see is a waste of time because I believe you read his messages to you thru some kind of rose colored glasses.  Don't feel bad you are not alone as others here have been publicly scolded by greg in front of other collectors at non sport shows yet they give him the benefit of the doubt at every turn..

Wondering if you will do something unusual and give direct answer to a direct question, do you really believe greg was not scolding you in these messages?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2022, 02:07:48 PM »
All right, all right, if you want me to drop him, I'll drop him. Besides, I think I've found everything anyway.

UPDATE: I just deleted all the messages by him and to him on my email.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 02:15:41 PM by mikecho »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
All right, all right, if you want me to drop him, I'll drop him. Besides, I think I've found everything anyway.

UPDATE: I just deleted all the messages by him and to him on my email.

Why not do what you want to do rather than being influenced by others?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2022, 05:29:13 PM »
Greg is such a petulant child!   I can't even login as "guest".    This is the first time I've tried in a few decades just because I was curious to see these links.

I tried to login as "guest" and it didn't work either. Maybe the site no longer allows that option.