Author Topic: Yet UNDISCOVERED Wacky items - What's left?  (Read 15356 times)

Offline ToadallyDude

Yet UNDISCOVERED Wacky items - What's left?
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:31:34 PM »
Since I climb out of my cave every 5 years & log on to see what you guys are up to, I thought I'd ask the current Wacky gurus a question...  What's still LEFT UNDISCOVERED from the old lists of items we all wanted to find?

Top on my list was always:  Original Art to the "Toadal" sticker from the 8th series that was pulled and replaced with Bone Ami.  (...or even an image of it)

We never really knew for sure if that title had ever been fully flushed out and painted by Saunders before it got pulled.  But the fact that it made it into the 1973 Wacky Poster set, and was hand-written (if I remember) in a blank space on an 8th-Series uncut sheet gave enough clues that it existed at one point.  Duane's Photoshopped squeeze that made the Lost Wackys is cool to see, of course.  But seeing the actual original "sticker" version would be amazing.  But I've never heard of it existing or anyone actually seeing it, or seeing even a photo of it (like we got to see for some of the lost Irish titles). 

So, what ELSE is still out there left undiscovered that is LIKELY to exist?  Has anyone ever made a LIST?  (We always liked lists). 

I suppose getting too much into the weeds could create an unmanageable task, adding things that would be nearly impossible, like, "5¢ Wacky Ad Shipping Case", or random anomalies that are technically possible like, "10th Black box with Yellow packs and 2nd series stickers in it", etc. 

But I'm thinking more things like:  "Documented checklist from Topps of all existing 1979 Test Stickers" or "Shedds Stickers" or "Wooden Placks"  (even though the current guess is probably accurate).  Or for that matter, and uncut sheet of any of those, proving rarities.  Just a thought.  I have no idea where you guys are at these days with uncovered mysteries & documented lists.  But that was always the stuff I liked the most.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Yet UNDISCOVERED Wacky items - What's left?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
Scott,

I hate to sound negative but this hobby peaked 10 years ago. All the cool research worthy items pretty much surfaced with the Topps Vault. Once that ran its course there hasn’t been much to speak of. Cool vintage finds have really dried up as well. In the early 2000s there would routinely be full or partial wax boxes, desirable collections, etc. turning up on eBay. But I’m starting to think most of what’s out there has surfaced already, because unopened material rarely turns up anymore and large collections rarely do either.

Offline CaseyRob

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
I know I'm the only guy who cares about the 1994 Madcaps series, but... I'm still holding out hope that the Wacky Caps images were also made as blank-backed slammers for the series.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 04:34:48 PM »
Wow, the POGS!  Haven't thought of those forever.  Seems like we all wondered about the slammers way back when too.  But without an uncut sheet of them, I guess that would never be known.  I think I still have mine somewhere, so I'll have to check what I have.  You never see mention of POGS anywhere anymore.  What a temporary fad that was. 

Where did all that historical stuff from the giant "Warehouse" find in PA end up out there?  I remember being one of the first people to get to make offers on that stuff, and grabbed the Irish Box Proof (for a fortune, if I remember right), which was one of a kind at that time & then faded in interest once the Irish stuff wasn't as mysterious anymore.  But that stash was HUGE.  Uncut sheets & printing receipts and original signed letters, etc.  I only have a couple items left from that major find, but it seemed like the people who had most of it originally aren't involved anymore.  So, I wonder if it all got bought up & put together in a collection.  Can't remember if I ever had a complete list of items, but I'm sure Ernie or one of the original MAG-7 would have had it, too.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 06:40:19 AM »
I know I'm the only guy who cares about the 1994 Madcaps series, but... I'm still holding out hope that the Wacky Caps images were also made as blank-backed slammers for the series.

I've always had a soft spot for the pogs.  Partly because they were such a short-lived and bizarre little niche of the hobby.  And also because I had two "finds" of, like 3-4 boxes at a card store in MN.  It was fun to open the packs as the Wacky pogs were like searching for inserts in the days before randomly inserted special cards were a thing.

Online mikecho

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 10:59:09 AM »
Forgive me if I express ignorance here, but...who or what is the MAG-7?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »
Forgive me if I express ignorance here, but...who or what is the MAG-7?

That term is usually used to refer to the 7 big original series rarities: Band-Ache, Run Tony, Spic and Span, Bum, Choke, Grime Heavy, Pupsi....eventually it was changed to Mag 8 and Scoot N/C was included.

But in this instance, it refers to the nickname Scott and his pals gave themselves a long time ago, as an homage to the above.

Online mikecho

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
That term is usually used to refer to the 7 big original series rarities: Band-Ache, Run Tony, Spic and Span, Bum, Choke, Grime Heavy, Pupsi....eventually it was changed to Mag 8 and Scoot N/C was included.

But in this instance, it refers to the nickname Scott and his pals gave themselves a long time ago, as an homage to the above.
So I guess that MAG is an acronym.

Can you please tell me what it stands for?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:20 PM »
So I guess that MAG is an acronym.

Can you please tell me what it stands for?

Magnificent...it’s a play on the movie “The Magnificent 7.”

Online mikecho

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 04:01:36 PM »
Okay, thanks! That explains a lot.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »

Well... I don't know who was the one that carried it over to us as people.  But it was definitely just because there happened to be 7 of us, not the "Magnificent" part for sure.  I think it was just because we kept referring to the Mag-7 cards so often, since that was what we chased in the beginning before the Art took over.  But the cards grew beyond Mag-8 when some of the other variations & information started coming out on rarities.  Who knows what it would be now with all the Maddies & cut-variations & anomalies.  Do those even count in assessing a truly complete 1-16 run now... or is the original 1-16 +8 variations still the norm?

Offline drono

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »
The one I always wondered about was a short perforation Good and Empty.  Has one of those ever been found?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 02:52:30 PM »
The one I always wondered about was a short perforation Good and Empty.  Has one of those ever been found?
My understanding is that not only has there not been one found, there couldn't be. G&E was cut before the 10¢ packs and short perfs were made. Of course, we all thought that a white back, blank top/side Spit and Spill didn't exist either, but we've seen one, we think.....

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 03:06:00 PM »
My understanding is that not only has there not been one found, there couldn't be. G&E was cut before the 10¢ packs and short perfs were made. Of course, we all thought that a white back, blank top/side Spit and Spill didn't exist either, but we've seen one, we think.....

That's my understanding, too.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
My madcaps - If this helps for those who have not seen them:

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline drono

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »

Mine too, but stranger things have shown up, and I'm not really that active in the hobby anymore.  For the perforation variations, they should be completely different sheets, and I agree that Good and Empty should have been pulled before then, but who really knows.

With back variations, they should be the same cut with just different sticker paper.  I have tried explaining that to those on eBay who swear up and down that they have a 1st tan Lavirus, but I suppose I should stop doing a battle of wits with the unarmed.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »
I have tried explaining to those on eBay who swear up and down that they have a 1st tan Lavirus, but I suppose I should stop doing a battle of wits with the unarmed.
Yeah, I’ve given up that fight.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 04:56:11 PM »
Mine too, but stranger things have shown up...

With back variations, they should be the same cut with just different sticker paper.  I have tried explaining that to those on eBay who swear up and down that they have a 1st tan Lavirus, but I suppose I should stop doing a battle of wits with the unarmed.

Just wanted to add that I'm the guy that pulled a Cheapios poster out of a BLUE pack (under very weird circumstances, too) back in 2000.  That was thought to be impossible, too. 

I'm forgetting something about the 1st tans, though... was it somehow proven that all the tan Lavirus's were Wonderbread... even though they seemed to be pulled when Bandache & the others were?  If there's a Tandache, there should be a few rare authentic Tanviruses, too, right?  (I'm not "unarmed" myself... I just haven't been involved for awhile, so some of the minutia is still locked in my 2002 brain).

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »
No, not all tan Laviri are wonder breads. It’s just that there is a very obvious die cut difference so it’s very easy to distinguish the very few real ones from the thousands of wonder breads. Other wonder breads (like Gadzooka) are very hard to distinguish from the real 1st tans, which tends to devalue them all.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 06:39:22 PM »
No, not all tan Laviri are wonder breads.
LOL. You can tell you're a math person, applying the plural to Lavirus like you would on radius.  LOL

Offline drono

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
I once opened a 1986 album pack that had a mix of the "33" and the "44" in it.  The shame of it was that I was keeping track of what was in each pack as I opened them so I could guess at the contents by looking at the front and the back.  I didn't realize it was a mix until I had written down the numbers.  That might have been the one and only of those.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 05:37:52 AM »
What about many entries planned for the never released Star Wars Wacky Packages series that was pulled from Topps after Disney did the C&D?

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »
Well this isn't technically a new find, but aside from ANS stuff, has anyone ever run across this printing novelty?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:48:32 AM by Mr._Stubble »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
LOL. You can tell you're a math person, applying the plural to Lavirus like you would on radius.  LOL

I have some friends whose last name is Loftus, you can guess what I call them collectively!

Offline drono

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »
I have some friends whose last name is Loftus, you can guess what I call them collectively!

We have some friends whose last name is Hovus and they put Hovii on their license plate.

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »
Well this isn't technically a new find, but aside from ANS stuff, has anyone ever run across this printing novelty?

(Image removed from quote.)

I have a Fishey Prize Toys that is the same as yours, all blue around the border.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2019, 05:15:41 AM »
I have a Fishey Prize Toys that is the same as yours, all blue around the border.

That's very interesting Bill.  Probably an entire 10th sheet came off like this then.  And if this occurred on one sheet only, that means there should be another 262 specimens that got distributed into packs.

Wouldn't that be a cool set to complete!

:P

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2019, 07:46:48 AM »
That's very interesting Bill.  Probably an entire 10th sheet came off like this then.  And if this occurred on one sheet only, that means there should be another 262 specimens that got distributed into packs.

Wouldn't that be a cool set to complete!

:P

Hi Mel,

A full sheet of them at least.  The black ink looks washed out on mine also.  I just recently found this one in a lot off ebay so maybe more will show up. 

It definitely would be a tough set to put together!

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2019, 08:14:54 AM »
A full sheet of them at least.  The black ink looks washed out on mine also.  I just recently found this one in a lot off ebay so maybe more will show up.

I also received this one recently, and it was in a large lot of Wackys from Colorado.  There were 16 other 10ths in the lot, this being the only oddball.

It took me a mere fifteen years to complete my 1st red ludlows.  Sounds like childsplay compared to what it would take to complete a set of these.  Hey, maybe this occurred on a Pupsi-less sheet, so there's only 29 to the set - oh happy days!

:0012391:

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2019, 09:10:05 AM »
I also received this one recently, and it was in a large lot of Wackys from Colorado.  There were 16 other 10ths in the lot, this being the only oddball.

It took me a mere fifteen years to complete my 1st red ludlows.  Sounds like childsplay compared to what it would take to complete a set of these.  Hey, maybe this occurred on a Pupsi-less sheet, so there's only 29 to the set - oh happy days!

:0012391:

That's the same seller as mine.  The guy sold 3 lots.   It said 200+ wackys in the description but it ended up being over 300 with a high grade Grime Heavy.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »
Hey mine had a nice Grime Heavy too!

Got a pretty nice Paul Maul as well.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2019, 04:04:07 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

This is amazing!  I always liked the error Wackys, but I never saw any without the black ink that actually got cut.  I wonder if this one made it to packs or if someone at the factory took the rejects & cut 'em.  When I was a kid, my cousins had a notebook full of what I thought were "Wacky Pages" or some kind of NEW Wacky item that they only got in the mid-west.  Later I realized they must have been uncut sheets that someone had cut up into legal-sized sheets of 9 stickers each so they could have them in a notebook.  Back then I didn't care about re-stucks, so they let me peel & stick the ones I didn't have from their notebook.  Wish I'd just traded them for the whole notebook, though.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
I just realized that the last posts in a bunch of the threads are mine.  And the longest posts in a bunch of the threads are mine.  Wonder if there's a correlation.  heh.

Keeping with the theme of this one... has anyone started keeping a tally of total # of rare items or sets in existence?  I used to keep one for the original art years ago, but I'm wondering if anyone has done that with some of the ultra rare items, like the PLACK sets, certain boxes (like 5c Ad, 1st Cloth, etc.), Irish Test set, and things like that.  Seems like knowing exactly how many exist out there would help in both valuation and deciding whether it's possible to go after.  Maybe like a "registry" similar to what PSA does. 

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 04:55:12 PM »
I just realized that the last posts in a bunch of the threads are mine.  And the longest posts in a bunch of the threads are mine.  Wonder if there's a correlation.  heh.

Yah, you probably scared 'em all away with your novels, dude!

So, what ever happened to THIS rare Wacky item?  Anyone ever turn up the "Beastball" version?...

http://www.plaidstallions.com/racktoys/fleetwood/827.html

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 04:55:50 PM »
Are you talking to yourself?