Author Topic: It's San Diego Comic-Con 2019...  (Read 3262 times)

Offline dth1971

It's San Diego Comic-Con 2019...
« on: July 18, 2019, 05:39:09 AM »
...but I don't think Topps has an SDCC booth this year nor any Topps giveaways at SDCC 2019.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: It's San Diego Comic-Con 2019...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:14:56 AM »
Topps is there and has a lot of Star Wars stuff and a ton of GPK items

https://www.topps.com/blog/topps-sdcc-2019.html

Offline dth1971

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 03:08:49 PM »
Topps is there and has a lot of Star Wars stuff and a ton of GPK items

https://www.topps.com/blog/topps-sdcc-2019.html

No Wacky Packages this time?

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 05:38:55 PM »
Forgot to get my professional pass this year.  Wish I was there.  Would be cool to say hi to John Pound after so many years.  Good to know he's still involved.  Have they stopped producing new Wacky series all together?  Seems like I haven't seen them in Target for a long time.  Not that into the new stuff, really.  But it's fun to buy a few packs now and then just for old time sake. 

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:47:05 PM »
I took the family and we had a blast.  Did get to meet John Pound and had him sign Burger Thing and a Badzooka.  Cool thing is that the Badzooka is a buy back from the Topps 75th Anniversary set and has a gold foil stamp in the corner.  I also got a signed exclusive Adam Bomb card and a signed copy of the Abrams book.  There was a fairly good GPK presence at the show but not a Wacky to be seen anywhere.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »
I took the family and we had a blast.  Did get to meet John Pound and had him sign Burger Thing and a Badzooka.  Cool thing is that the Badzooka is a buy back from the Topps 75th Anniversary set and has a gold foil stamp in the corner.  I also got a signed exclusive Adam Bomb card and a signed copy of the Abrams book.  There was a fairly good GPK presence at the show but not a Wacky to be seen anywhere.

Soo Cool! I am glad to hear you and your family had a great time!   ;) ;)

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
John looks good.  Haven't seen him in at least 10 years.  Sad to hear that no Wackys were at the show, though.  If they ever come out with a Wacky Pack action-movie or something, that'll change.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
John looks good.  Haven't seen him in at least 10 years.  Sad to hear that no Wackys were at the show, though.  If they ever come out with a Wacky Pack action-movie or something, that'll change.

Ha, too true!  Or even a Wacky web series would do a bit to grow the brand.  Right now there is such a glut of genre content that it’s really only the high profile or highly promoted ones that get a lot of attention.  There’s a show called Brooklyn 99 that had an off site experience and the lines for it was 100’s of people!  I had never even heard of the show but fans waited hours to win a pin or something!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »
I had never even heard of the show
>(
one of my fave comedies for the last 6 years.
it made some headlines last year when Fox cancelled it and NBC picked it up within 24 hours.

I did spot one Wacky thing, in one of Joe Simko's photos. The Atomic Toybox booth used an old banner from when they sold Wacky postcards.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:33:11 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 05:31:30 PM »
>(
one of my fave comedies for the last 6 years.
it made some headlines last year when Fox cancelled it and NBC picked it up within 24 hours.

I did spot one Wacky thing, in one of Joe Simko's photos. The Atomic Toybox booth used an old banner from when they sold Wacky postcards.

(Image removed from quote.)

Patrick, well done!  I never would have spotted that!  Well in terms of Brooklyn 99 you’re in good company as the fans I spoke too were pretty hardcore about it.  What I don’t get is the connection to Comic Con.  What I associate with Cons is genre material, superheroes, sci-fi, horror and fantasy and don’t really see how a strait sitcom fits in.  There was also a Seinfeld off-site and again I don’t see the connection.