Author Topic: PSA SMR Wacky Article  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

PSA SMR Wacky Article
« on: July 09, 2019, 12:04:38 PM »
I think this is the first Wacky Packages article they’ve ever done. As expected, they interviewed Mike Block and Jim Modico, who are the top registry participants. Kind of surprised Eric Roberts wasn’t interviewed. Not much new for any of us in the article, also as expected.

They also interviewed George Wright. The author of the article told me PSA gave him George’s number, so that was a plus for the article.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/9907/psa-set-registry-collecting-topps-wacky-packages-from-1960s-1970s-its-world

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:39:28 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: PSA SMR Wacky Article
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
This is a very cool article. They really should’ve posted a scan of the CA 9, though..  :]

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 03:00:41 PM »
This is a very cool article. They really should’ve posted a scan of the CA 9, though..  :]

I’m pretty sure every card that appears is Block’s, because they borrowed his whole collection to scan for their PSA card facts area.

Offline quas

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 07:28:53 PM »
I think this is the first Wacky Packages article they’ve ever done. As expected, they interviewed Mike Block and Jim Modico, who are the top registry participants. Kind of surprised Eric Roberts wasn’t interviewed. Not much new for any of us in the article, also as expected.

They also interviewed George Wright. The author of the article told me PSA gave him George’s number, so that was a plus for the article.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/9907/psa-set-registry-collecting-topps-wacky-packages-from-1960s-1970s-its-world

How is it that they were able to get ahold of George Wright while those folks who posted that they're still waiting for their Galactic Groceries items can't?!   :-\ >(
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 04:24:50 AM »
Thanks for posting that link.  Those are some gorgeous Wackys!  Oh, what I wouldn't give for that Ratz!!

Offline quas

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:23:33 AM »
Interesting how they actually acknowledge that Jolly Mean #21 is the rarest.  With Ratz and Cracked Animals there is one PSA 9 apiece but for that Jolly Mean the highest is a PSA 7.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:54:27 AM »
Interesting how they actually acknowledge that Jolly Mean #21 is the rarest.  With Ratz and Cracked Animals there is one PSA 9 apiece but for that Jolly Mean the highest is a PSA 7.

I wish I had had the spending money back when a nice raw example was reasonably priced and not so hard to find, but what I had to splurge with I spent on Series 1 and 16, and I went with a punched die-cut set just to have examples.  I'm pretty happy with my graded die-cuts now, but the Jolly Mean #21 is the lowest at a PSA 4.  It's nicely centered, but has creases.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »
Note George is quoted about Mad Magazine in the article.  I assume everyone has heard the news about Mad Magazine shutting down?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »
Note George is quoted about Mad Magazine in the article.  I assume everyone has heard the news about Mad Magazine shutting down?
Shutting down? Does this mean that the magazine is being cancelled?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
Shutting down? Does this mean that the magazine is being cancelled?

It's all over the web...

According to CNN’s Rob McLean and Michelle Lou, the satirical publication, which regaled generations of readers and influenced leading comedic figures, will disappear from newsstands after the release of its August issue. The magazine will reprint old material with new covers, which will be available in comic stores and via subscription. But aside from end-of-year specials and other one-off features, MAD won’t be creating any new content.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »

The Ratz 9 isn’t a real Ratz, correct? Isn’t it a proof? This doesn’t change the fact that Jolly #21 is rarer, just wanted to clarify.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »
The Ratz 9 isn’t a real Ratz, correct? Isn’t it a proof? This doesn’t change the fact that Jolly #21 is rarer, just wanted to clarify.

That was the consensus when it was graded.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 03:08:53 PM »
That was the consensus when it was graded.

I didn't know about that.  It's still VERY easy on the eyes!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 04:11:02 PM »
It's all over the web...

According to CNN’s Rob McLean and Michelle Lou, the satirical publication, which regaled generations of readers and influenced leading comedic figures, will disappear from newsstands after the release of its August issue. The magazine will reprint old material with new covers, which will be available in comic stores and via subscription. But aside from end-of-year specials and other one-off features, MAD won’t be creating any new content.
And so the last remaining remnant of EC Comics is dead after all these years...

Listen closely. That sound you hear is Bill Gaines spinning wildly in his grave...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:15:08 PM by mikecho »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »
And so the last remaining remnant of EC Comics is dead after all these years...

Listen closely. That sound you hear is Bill Gaines spinning wildly in his grave...
Tales from the Crypt is still being published, I believe

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
I didn't know about that.  It's still VERY easy on the eyes!

Here’s the thread....

https://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2236.msg45957#msg45957

Offline mikecho

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »
Tales from the Crypt is still being published, I believe
I know that Papercutz was doing it for a while, but I haven't seen any new ones in years. Are they still doing Tales from the Crypt at all?

For that matter, I don't even know if Papercutz is still doing The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers or Nancy Drew, Girl Detective, either.

They had a five-part story - the first two parts in The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers - The New Case Files #1-2 and the other three parts in Nancy Drew, Girl Detective - The New Case Files #1-3 (the third book being a team-up with the Hardy Boys) - that was supposed to to be published as a five-in-one volume, but I haven't seen or heard anything about whether it's coming out or not in the longest time. In fact, when I asked my local Barnes & Noble if all five books were still available, they looked them up and told me that all but one were.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 02:16:28 AM »
Here’s the thread....

https://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2236.msg45957#msg45957

I completely forgot about that discussion.  My memory is really starting to go..............  thanks for the jumpstart.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 07:11:53 PM »
I know that Papercutz was doing it for a while, but I haven't seen any new ones in years. Are they still doing Tales from the Crypt at all?
From what I read online, Papercutz stopped back in 2010. It was picked up by Super Genius in 2016, although it's not clear if they are working on any new ones lately. Zombie status.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
From what I read online, Papercutz stopped back in 2010. It was picked up by Super Genius in 2016, although it's not clear if they are working on any new ones lately. Zombie status.
Oh, so that's what it is! Thanks, Patrick, I didn't even know that.

How many issues of Tales from the Crypt were made by Papercutz, anyway? And what's the status of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series that they used to do?

anything