Author Topic: Any Wacky Release Updates?  (Read 10042 times)

Offline DrDeal

Any Wacky Release Updates?
« on: June 21, 2019, 03:23:47 AM »
Any info on upcoming releases would be appreciated. The crickets have taken over.
Maybe one of the artists could provide a sneak-peak at what can expect in the latter half of the year?

Thanks,  Andrew

Offline MoldRush

Re: Any Wacky Release Updates?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »
I’ve been wondering about this lately too.  Especially with Dave’s recent comments that some good stuff is in the pipeline for release this year.  But in the ANS era Topps always seemed to avoid releasing anything during summertime, so we’ll probably have to hold out a couple more months at least.

Wonder if Non Sport Update or Previews (is that the name?) has announced anything.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:05:39 AM »
I'm also very curious especially as we're halfway through the year and usually an announcement comes out at least a few months ahead of time.  I'm hoping for something that we old schoolers will enjoy.  The anticipation is part of the fun and I could use a little of that right now.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 04:32:24 PM »
I have an Old School set coming in November (I think). There should be some other WP stuff before that and after that.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 04:37:58 PM »
I have an Old School set coming in November (I think). There should be some other WP stuff before that and after that.

Thanks for the good news!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:16:25 PM »

Niiiice!  The last set was awesome!  :great:

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 02:59:59 AM »
Thanks for the Old School Update.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 08:27:27 AM »
This is great news!

Online Swiski

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »
We knew an Old School set was coming. Surprised there is nothing on the Non Sports Calendar for a retail Wacky Packages ANS set. Usually Topps announces that stuff months in advance.

Offline View-Monster

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 12:24:19 PM »

Awesome! So is that an OS 8 on-demand set, or is under a different release type/name?

--
vM

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
Surprised there is nothing on the Non Sports Calendar for a retail Wacky Packages ANS set.
I'm surprised that you're surprised. Wasn't the last ANS set like 4 years ago? or are you referring to stuff like MLB and Go To the Movies, which to me are only on the periphery of Wackydom?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 06:41:53 PM »
Dave had recently said Topps was going ‘back to basics’ in their near future plans - speaking strictly for myself, I felt a well-made ANS set might be one of the things Topps had in mind.  I’m sure others are hoping for the same thing.  But of course that’s little more than wishful thinking unless and until the next release proves otherwise.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 06:43:46 PM »
Awesome! So is that an OS 8 on-demand set, or is under a different release type/name?

--
vM
2019 Old School 1.
 :o

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
I'm surprised that you're surprised. Wasn't the last ANS set like 4 years ago? or are you referring to stuff like MLB and Go To the Movies, which to me are only on the periphery of Wackydom?
I looked it up on the Spreadsheet. ANS11 was the last ANS that was labelled as such and it came out in 2013. That was six years ago.

Technically, of course, 2014 S1 and 2015 S1 were ANS12 and ANS13; it's just that Topps, in their infinite wisdom (and I'm being nice here, believe me) decided not to call both of them what they really are, for whatever reason and for all the good it did them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:49:07 AM by mikecho »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 03:26:35 AM »
What about 50th in 2017? Isn't that technically ANS14?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 08:52:07 AM »
What about 50th in 2017? Isn't that technically ANS14?
MLB, 50th Anniversary and Go to the Movies were all deviations from the norm, as far as I can see. They were made up entirely of subsets.

Not only that, but the majority of the Wackys in the subsets in each one of these series were made up products that didn't exist. Hardly anything in them were actual products and the ones that were were mostly hybrids (an actual product crossed with a person or thing in the subject that that particular subset was parodying).

I think that what most people here want are collections of stickers based on actual products, with nothing added in and nothing taken out, and that's it. In other words, back to the basic format that everyone knows and loves. That fact that Topps just may have realized that by now, and just may have realized that these past three series appear to have been experiments that ultimately failed, is a good sign (however, why it took them three whole series to realize this is beyond me). Whether or not they'll actually do what we think that they're going to do, and what they've seemingly said that they're going to do, remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:17:27 PM by mikecho »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »
MLB, 50th Anniversary and Go to the Movies were all deviations from the norm, as far as I can see. They were made up entirely of subsets.

Subsets or not. Both were mostly new art right? I think that makes them count for a new Wacky release.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »
I would agree that while the MLB, 50th Ann. and Go To Movies were of course releases of all-new material, that is where all similarities to prior ANS-era releases ends.  While each set may hold some niche appeal due to their unique approaches to parody (just as the unreleased Star Wars / WP mashup set would have), I don’t believe anyone here except maybe the younger members prefers them to the sets that preceded them.  In that sense, it has been a long time since collectors have had a chance to wet their beaks on any bonafide new Wackys other than Old School 6 and 7.

I know the last couple ANS releases were a bit off compared to their predecessors as well, but that’s a different discussion.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 03:39:23 AM »
I think subsets are the new norm. They seem to have demonstrated that. Dividing sets into subsets in no way changes the fact that they are all new wackies so I consider the 50th set an ANS release. Baseball and Goes to the Movies are a different story.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 10:14:10 AM »
I feel the Goes To The Movies was more Wacky Packages than the 50th set because they were at least all real products.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
I would agree that while the MLB, 50th Ann. and Go To Movies were of course releases of all-new material, that is where all similarities to prior ANS-era releases ends.  While each set may hold some niche appeal due to their unique approaches to parody (just as the unreleased Star Wars / WP mashup set would have), I don’t believe anyone here except maybe the younger members prefers them to the sets that preceded them.  In that sense, it has been a long time since collectors have had a chance to wet their beaks on any bonafide new Wackys other than Old School 6 and 7.

I know the last couple ANS releases were a bit off compared to their predecessors as well, but that’s a different discussion.
When you said "the last couple of ANS releases", you were talking about ANS10 and ANS11, is that right? I just need confirmation here, that's all.

As I mentioned before some on here, I would've gotten ANS9 and then stopped there at the single digit numbers if all 20 of the Awful Apps that Topps finally made had been included in it, similar to the Wack-O-Mercials in ANS7. That way, I would've had two series-55 Wacky Websites and 20 Awful Apps-that could've been known as "the Wacky World Wide Web" (or "W.W.W.W." for short). Unfortunately for me, Topps didn't, so I didn't and now I can't.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:54:26 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 05:31:33 PM »
I was talking about the couple series where Topps changed the numbering convention - instead of ANS 12, it was “2014 ANS 1”, and “2015 ANS 1”, if I remember correctly.  I guess Topps wanted to give prospective new buyers/collectors the feeling that they were getting in at the ground floor.  But my comment has nothing to do with the change in numbering convention, but rather a distinct drop-off in the quality of artwork, not necessarily in all the titles, but definitely a bunch of them.  I think the set with the higher 80-card count was the main culprit.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »
I was talking about the couple series where Topps changed the numbering convention - instead of ANS 12, it was “2014 ANS 1”, and “2015 ANS 1”, if I remember correctly.  I guess Topps wanted to give prospective new buyers/collectors the feeling that they were getting in at the ground floor.  But my comment has nothing to do with the change in numbering convention, but rather a distinct drop-off in the quality of artwork, not necessarily in all the titles, but definitely a bunch of them.  I think the set with the higher 80-card count was the main culprit.
Oh, so it was those two series? Okay, that helps.

Those two, in fact, were the ones that I was talking about above in Reply #13. I should've known that it was them, I really should've.

And you're right, only the names were actually 2014 S1 and 2015 S1. The second of the two was the one with the high count, but it was actually 110 stickers, of which #91-110 were supposed to be the three subsets for that series (the first five were going to be called Crazy Collectables, the next 10 Batty Baseball and the last five Coming Soon) and were even announced as such but, for reasons known only to Topps, were merged into the 90 base cards, even though they were, admittedly, arranged as if they were still subsets, but they actually weren't.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:57:55 PM by mikecho »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »

Thanks for the update, Dave.  I look forward not only to the products themselves, but to the anticipation (with details) of the products themselves.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »

Good to know. Anxious for some new stuff.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 03:37:39 AM »
Dave,

Are any of the new items Retail offerings? I know OS will be online. I miss being able to peruse the Target card section for Wacky Items.
Yugioh and Pokemon are still going strong at retail. It would be great to see some wacky there again.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
Dave,

Are any of the new items Retail offerings? I know OS will be online. I miss being able to peruse the Target card section for Wacky Items.
Yugioh and Pokemon are still going strong at retail. It would be great to see some wacky there again.

Andrew, I agree.  The Target card section used to be my first stop every time I entered the store but I haven't bothered to check it out in months.  On line releases are great but retail is where the real action is!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 02:07:52 AM »
Andrew, I agree.  The Target card section used to be my first stop every time I entered the store but I haven't bothered to check it out in months.  On line releases are great but retail is where the real action is!

I haven't been in a Target in over a year.  What's really shocking is that they opened a small format store around the corner from my mom's house, right next to the cash machine I always use, and we still haven't checked THAT out!  If there were retail Wackys, I'd be in there at least once a week.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 07:50:04 AM »
ALWAYS glad for new Wacky Stuff!!!

#StayWacky

Richard

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
Bump!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 01:43:27 PM by rdsjnk »

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2019, 11:14:42 PM »
Well it has been awhile now...we’ve heard that we’ll see a new old school set in November?!...and it was mentioned that we should see a set before that..it’s now August..and nothing...anyone know if we’ll be hearing anything soon? To be released in September as I’m sure we won’t see 2 new Wacky sets in November...anyone?...anything? Maybe a picture even? Or an idea of what the set might be? Please and thank you!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2019, 11:25:40 PM »
It does seem that we're running out of year for 2 releases...……  I'm just hoping for Old School at this point.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 11:36:51 PM »
I agree...old school sets are the best ones anyway...

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »
I agree Mike, the last couple of Old School releases and the sketch cards have been awesome!

More true to the original WPs and not the silly stuff the ANS series has brought.

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
Hey all, the new Old School set is in November. The other set is delayed until after that due to too many other things going on but it's still on. You'll be very happy with these sets I think. I'm doing something a little different with this Old School and hoping that they will do two Old School sets a year, every 6 months using this set up I've planned.

There is definitely a goal to get WP rolling again. GPK is getting a lot of licensing right now so that has been the focus. They have the advantage because of the characters being such a focus. It's easier to tie a specific character to a licensed thing than a product parody.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:35:06 AM by slamjim »