Author Topic: ANS11 C Variant Alternate Art cards  (Read 5565 times)

Offline DrDeal

ANS11 C Variant Alternate Art cards
« on: June 05, 2019, 02:03:40 PM »
I received a very cool set of cards today: The 3 C Variants from ANS11. These cards have very subtle alternate art. The cards on the bottom row are the C's.
Not sure what the image is on SurReal freinds. Andrew WK is on My Little Bony and Mars Attacks is on Horderlands. Super psyched to own these cards.
I really like the idea of alternate art. These cards were not acknowledged much by Topps and we did not hear about them till some astute collectors noticed the differences.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: ANS11 C Variant Alternate Art cards
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 05:29:59 PM »
Surreal Friends uses an image of the GPK 5th series card 196:  Dangling Dolly/Surreal Neal

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 08:58:08 PM »
I received a very cool set of cards today: The 3 C Variants from ANS11. These cards have very subtle alternate art. The cards on the bottom row are the C's.
Not sure what the image is on SurReal freinds. Andrew WK is on My Little Bony and Mars Attacks is on Horderlands. Super psyched to own these cards.
I really like the idea of alternate art. These cards were not acknowledged much by Topps and we did not hear about them till some astute collectors noticed the differences.

I remember when those came out.  How I noticed them was they had a different back from the A and B cards

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:03:48 PM »

Weren’t the backs different too? Very hard to find these!!!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 03:05:03 AM »
The backs are different. They feature repeated Non-Puzzle art that was used on other card backs.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »
I know about GPK and Mars Attacks, but who's Andrew WK? I never heard of him. Please explain.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:47:12 PM »
Andrew Fetterly Wilkes-Krier (born May 9, 1979), better known by his stagename Andrew W.K., is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and music producer. Raised in Michigan, Wilkes-Krier began his musical career in the mid-1990s performing in a number of local bands before eventually moving to New York, where he produced his first recordings under the Andrew W.K. moniker.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:50:46 PM by DrDeal »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
who's Andrew WK? I never heard of him.
Heard of Google? That would have immediately answered your question.  :-\

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
Heard of Google? That would have immediately answered your question.  :-\
For me it was more of a question of 'who in the world is Andrew WK that he would rate as highly as GPK and Mars Attacks?'
I'd never heard of him until that Wacky, and have never heard of him since then either.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 03:28:36 PM »
Andrew Fetterly Wilkes-Krier (born May 9, 1979), better known by his stagename Andrew W.K., is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and music producer. Raised in Michigan, Wilkes-Krier began his musical career in the mid-1990s performing in a number of local bands before eventually moving to New York, where he produced his first recordings under the Andrew W.K. moniker.

Thanks! What kind of music does he play - rock, country, rap? You forgot to mention that part.

Also, Patrick, should this alternate art be mentioned in the Spreadsheet? I know that the card backs for these three Wackys were briefly mentioned in the Notes, but I don't think that this was.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:34:03 PM by mikecho »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »
Thanks! What kind of music does he play - rock, country, rap? You forgot to mention that part.

I saw him open for Dio and Motorhead. He just played records/ DJed.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 04:57:00 PM »

I saw him open for Dio and Motorhead. He just played records/ DJed.
Thanks. That helps.

I don't follow that kind of music, so I wouldn't have heard of him anyway.

It's strange that he would appear on a Wacky like this one, though, unless My Little Bony - Friendship is Tragic has something to do with his style.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:48:02 AM by mikecho »

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
It's strange that he would appear on a Wacky like this one, though, unless SurReal Friends has something to do with his style.
as mentioned in the first couple of posts, SurReal has the GPK melted clock image. It's My Little Bony that has WK, - not that that Wacky makes any more sense for his image.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 09:48:47 AM »
as mentioned in the first couple of posts, SurReal has the GPK melted clock image. It's My Little Bony that has WK, - not that that Wacky makes any more sense for his image.
Okay, Patrick, it's fixed.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 05:16:41 PM »
I was the first to notice this and I only did since ANS 11 was a set I worked on as a gag writer and My Little Bony was one of my gags.  I knew the art inside out so when I saw the alternate My Little Bony I immediately noticed that the image of the Boneys playing with the human skull was missing.  At the time I was under the impression that the three alt art images represented three other Topps non-sports brands.  So we have Mars Attacks and GPK and the third is Hollywood Zombies, hence the bloody face.  Also it should be noted that the alternate art was not done by the original painters but was done by Junghwa Im and photoshopped in.  I also have a set of these and agree they are very cool.  Interestingly, I was told by the Topps art director that 5 alt art cards were done for WP 2014 which was the follow up to ANS 11.  Now WP 2014 is a strange set in that only one of its Wacky Backs cards has ever showed up and none of the alt art cards have ever been spotted as far as I know.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:18:25 PM by Joe G. »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 03:39:41 AM »
I was the first to notice this and I only did since ANS 11 was a set I worked on as a gag writer and My Little Bony was one of my gags.  I knew the art inside out so when I saw the alternate My Little Bony I immediately noticed that the image of the Boneys playing with the human skull was missing.  At the time I was under the impression that the three alt art images represented three other Topps non-sports brands.  So we have Mars Attacks and GPK and the third is Hollywood Zombies, hence the bloody face.  Also it should be noted that the alternate art was not done by the original painters but was done by Junghwa Im and photoshopped in.  I also have a set of these and agree they are very cool.  Interestingly, I was told by the Topps art director that 5 alt art cards were done for WP 2014 which was the follow up to ANS 11.  Now WP 2014 is a strange set in that only one of its Wacky Backs cards has ever showed up and none of the alt art cards have ever been spotted as far as I know.

Thanks Joe. Great insight!

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 05:17:29 PM »
Also, Patrick, should this alternate art be mentioned in the Spreadsheet? I know that the card backs for these three Wackys were briefly mentioned in the Notes, but I don't think that this was.
spreadsheet updated for this info now, 'C' variation with front and back differences from the base cards

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »

ANY idea of what the alt cards are for WP 2014? Can you ask the art director??? Or do I have to look at all of those cards again lol

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
ANY idea of what the alt cards are for WP 2014? Can you ask the art director??? Or do I have to look at all of those cards again lol

Wish I could Richard but no matter how much I begged he wouldn’t tell me.  Also he’s no longer at Topps. I suspect the artist who did the alterations was Jungwha Im so no luck there in getting the info either.  Now remember this set had some weird collation as shown in the Wacky Backs.  At the time the set came out, sellers who broke sets into A and B versions went through thousands of cards and no C backs were ever listed.  Now it’s possible you have one so I’d say the best way to look would be checking the back to see if it’s different than the two known versions.  Looking for the change in the front art, I suspect, would be maddening.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »
Richard, one last thing about these ANS 11 alt art C back cards.  Although they were not listed as official chase cards, they did count as a hit in the cases they came in.  So some people had complained about missing chase cards until they realized the had gotten a C back in the case.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 08:52:18 AM »
Joe,

I will now have to go through every freaking card....ughhhhh.... maybe I have a "C" hit and never recognized it - too many master cases cracked and sorted.....grrrrrr

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
Joe,

I will now have to go through every freaking card....ughhhhh.... maybe I have a "C" hit and never recognized it - too many master cases cracked and sorted.....grrrrrr

Yeah, well the lure of a hidden treasure is a big enticement but again none have ever been found so I’d say a casual search is all that’s warranted.  It would be cool to get more info on this Wacky mystery to be sure! 

Offline mikecho

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 11:47:47 AM »
spreadsheet updated for this info now, 'C' variation with front and back differences from the base cards
Thanks, Patrick! I saw it a little while ago. Hope you're doing well with the other a's and c's so far.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 11:49:21 AM by mikecho »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:17 AM »
Richard, one last thing about these ANS 11 alt art C back cards.  Although they were not listed as official chase cards, they did count as a hit in the cases they came in.  So some people had complained about missing chase cards until they realized the had gotten a C back in the case.

Went through all of the cards that came out of the collector's boxes - no back or front variants as far as I could tell. But, that was the release that I bought the least amount of collector's boxes too, just one case....well, at least I have the (so far) one and only wacky back!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 09:49:49 PM »
Went through all of the cards that came out of the collector's boxes - no back or front variants as far as I could tell. But, that was the release that I bought the least amount of collector's boxes too, just one case....well, at least I have the (so far) one and only wacky back!

You mean, the one and only Wacky Packages 2014 Wacky Back!  If not for your find I would have questioned whether they existed at all.  A little bit of trivia about the Wacky Backs is that the art was done by the series Art Director Colin Walton. 

anything