Author Topic: GPK 2019 S2 Revenge of Oh the Horror-ible Wacky subsets  (Read 10007 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
GPK 2019 S2 Revenge of Oh the Horror-ible Wacky subsets
« on: May 15, 2019, 10:23:31 AM »
New announcement for the fall retail GPK set.

contains two wacky packages inspired subsets with all new art done by Smokin’ Joe

Trick or Treat candies
Movie posters
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:34:24 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
Re: GPK Oh the Horror-ible 2 Wacky subsets
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:30:43 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Brian Mc

Re: GPK Revenge of Oh the Horror-ible Wacky subsets
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:24 AM »
More GPK stuff. Sigh  :sad:
Brian Mc

Offline drono

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »
More GPK stuff. Sigh  :sad:

Double Sigh.  Oh, what the heck, Triple Dog Sigh. :'( :'( :'(

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
I'd say more GPK inspired than WP inspired.  In fact, I don't see anything WP related at all.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:42:28 AM »
I'd say more GPK inspired than WP inspired.  In fact, I don't see anything WP related at all.

I think I am "Inspired" to pass on this offering. Not "Wacky" enough for my taste.

Offline View-Monster

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »
Woo! I know it's not a Wacky set, but the first 'Horror-ible' set was the best GPK set in more than a decade.

Definitely looking forward to this one!

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
Thanks View Monster, and fooey on the rest of you!!! You're as bad as the GPK 'fans' who start complaining as soon as a new set is announced! I was going to post a nice image of my 'Leaking Kong' painting but have reconsidered thanks to this less than encouraging response.

Just so you know... GPK sales are whats keeping any hopes of a new Wacky Packages set alive. The more you dis GPK and the GPK/Wacky crossovers, the worse your chances of seeing a new Wacky only release.

Smokin' Joe

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 05:45:21 PM »
Although I don’t actively collect GPK, I see a lot of potential with this release.  Horror- and Halloween-themed Wackys have always held a special place in collectors hearts; can’t see why the same couldn’t be true for GPK.  Above all, the new GPK stuff has remained true to the originals in terms of artistic quality and overall vibe.  Same can’t be said for the last couple ANS sets, especially the 50th Anniversary set and the last ANS if I remember correctly.  While I pine for another ANS set as much as anyone, my enthusiasm is tempered by wondering if it will be anywhere near as good as the earlier sets.  It seems the pop-culture mashup approach is taking hold.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 05:46:54 PM »
When I say ANS I mean strictly Wackys.  Just realized GPK uses similar vernacular.  Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »
Thanks, Smokin' Joe, well put!  Can't we all just get along? :)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 03:06:17 AM »
Joe,   No disrespect to you intended. Your work is stellar. I am tired of having to purchase GPK sets to get Wackies. Topps need to keep the lines separate. It's like having to purchase a Stones LP to get a few Pink Floyd songs when you are not a Stones fan.

Andrew

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 09:50:58 AM »
What you are not seeing in the ads is the candy which is WAY more WP than GPK or at least a perfectly balanced mix. It's essentially a good 'ole WP with a character but the character is a GPK. I've seen them all and any WP fan would want these.

Also, Smokin is right, the GPK success is helping WP. There is definitely a bunch of WP things coming out this year and you will be happy with ALL of them. A lot. Those last few sets, the baseball, 50th and even the movie set are a thing of the past. Stay tuned.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 10:37:29 AM »
Looking forward to it all!  Smokin' has the best stories, too!  There should be a micro-chip
on specially-marked cards, that when activated, have him telling one of his classics!

That, and a scratch-n-sniff subset, I've always tried to pitch that!   :]

Offline View-Monster

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 10:57:08 AM »
I was going to post a nice image of my 'Leaking Kong' painting but have reconsidered thanks to this less than encouraging response.

Awwww...please?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
I just don't like the idea! First we had to buy Crappy Political wackys to keep wackys going. Then we had to buy Crappy baseball, movie and other shitty sets to keep wackys alive. Now, now we have to buy GPK sets to keep wackys alive.  Wackys only or I quit!

Jim

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
Looking forward to it all!  Smokin' has the best stories, too!  There should be a micro-chip
on specially-marked cards, that when activated, have him telling one of his classics!

That, and a scratch-n-sniff subset, I've always tried to pitch that!   :]
concur
looking forward to Smokin' Joe's Halloween candy cards, he does fantastic monsters. These sound like they will be a great subset to pick up.

and scratch-n-sniff? how have Wacky's not had that yet? GPK has had them. Seems like a perfect marriage of Wacky products and Wacky smells. Bring 'em!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »
of course, it would be "scratch 'n sniff at your own risk"  ;D

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
Thanks View Monster, and fooey on the rest of you!!! You're as bad as the GPK 'fans' who start complaining as soon as a new set is announced! I was going to post a nice image of my 'Leaking Kong' painting but have reconsidered thanks to this less than encouraging response.

Just so you know... GPK sales are whats keeping any hopes of a new Wacky Packages set alive. The more you dis GPK and the GPK/Wacky crossovers, the worse your chances of seeing a new Wacky only release.

Sorry. Zero interest in GPK.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 01:51:53 PM »
Also, Smokin is right, the GPK success is helping WP. There is definitely a bunch of WP things coming out this year and you will be happy with ALL of them. A lot. Those last few sets, the baseball, 50th and even the movie set are a thing of the past. Stay tuned.
[/quote]

This is great to hear Dave! Thanks for sharing. :great:

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »
of course, it would be "scratch 'n sniff at your own risk"  ;D
Those GPK "Scratch-n-Stink" cards were definitely at your own risk!!  Those things really stunk!!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
What you are not seeing in the ads is the candy which is WAY more WP than GPK or at least a perfectly balanced mix. It's essentially a good 'ole WP with a character but the character is a GPK. I've seen them all and any WP fan would want these.

I mean no disrespect at all to GPK collectors (or artists), but I won't purchase a product for a 1 in whatever chance to get a Wacky-inspired sticker/card.  I'll be honest, I don't understand the connection between the success of GPKs and Wackys, but I don't pretend to have any inside info.  So if Dave and Joe say there is a connection, I'll root for the success of GPKs, but still won't purchase them.  I have felt for the past few months that Wackys are effectively dead.  Your post, Dave, gives me hope.  I'm not interested all that much in most of what the more recent Wackys series themselves have been, but if things that truly are like the Wackys we grew up with (or like the Wackys of ANS 1-6 or so) are coming out soon, I'll happily look forward to what Topps is bringing us.

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
Hi Wacky fans, Here is a better look at my 'Leaking Kong' movie poster parody painting. It will be part of a Parody Movie Poster subset in the September GPK release 'Revenge of Oh the Horror-ible'. You don't have to go to stores and buy GPK if it isn't your flavor... but you don't have to be critical because it isn't a Wacky only release? Right?!? My hope is you can appreciate it even though its not in a can, box, or wrapper. I have been a Kong fan since I was tiny... really tiny... and wanted to keep a vintage feel to this piece. The gag is based on a classic GPK character 'Drippy Dan'.
  Happy to be keeping parody Non-Sports Cards alive!
  Thanks,
      Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 01:46:43 PM »

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
Great rework and color match with the original!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »
Also, Smokin is right, the GPK success is helping WP.
He may be right about that, but his original response was not called for, IMO. I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but last time I checked *looking around me*, we are in America and have a right to our opinion. I am generally glad to get anything Wacky from anywhere...but if I don't like/want GPK, that is my choice, both to "verbalize" here and with my wallet.  'nuff said.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »
Hi Wacky fans, Here is a better look at my 'Leaking Kong' movie poster parody painting. It will be part of a Parody Movie Poster subset in the September GPK release 'Revenge of Oh the Horror-ible'. You don't have to go to stores and buy GPK if it isn't your flavor... but you don't have to be critical because it isn't a Wacky only release? Right?!? My hope is you can appreciate it even though its not in a can, box, or wrapper. I have been a Kong fan since I was tiny... really tiny... and wanted to keep a vintage feel to this piece. The gag is based on a classic GPK character 'Drippy Dan'.
  Thanks,
      Smokin' Joe

Joe, looks fantastic!  You do such amazing work, and I was happy to chat with you a while in Vegas a few months back. 

Naturally, all of us Wacky fans, including the artists and the good looking, uber-talented concept writers (LOL) share in the frustration of a lack of Wackys.  I never disparage the GPK's and the sets, they're popular, good for Topps and all you artists do such a great job on them!  And I've picked up several of them, too!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »
  Thanks,
      Smokin' Joe

Looks great, Joe, and I also have a long-standing affection for the big ape, so kudos to you for blending him into the GPK world.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 10:59:30 AM »
  Thanks,
      Smokin' Joe

Joe, truly a superb parody and superb art.  Love all the little touches added in the credits block!  I get that we’re in the middle of a Wacky gap so thanks for including some Wackyness in all the work you do!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:10:07 AM by Joe G. »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2019, 05:17:03 PM »
I love it!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline View-Monster

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 11:47:31 PM »
Giving the thread a little bump to remind everyone that the set is due out next month (Sept 25th).

Can't wait!

--
vM

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: GPK 2019 S2 Revenge of Oh the Horror-ible Wacky subsets
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »
Sigh... Looks like Wacky Packages have been relegated to the ranks of Bathroom Buddies and Gross Bears within GPK releases. And expensive chase sets at that. As a consumer, I feel very... well,  consumed.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
It's all new art not reprints at least. On a side note I started Old School 8 today. Hope that will fill in some of the time. I expect more from Wackys next year.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
It's all new art not reprints at least. On a side note I started Old School 8 today. Hope that will fill in some of the time. I expect more from Wackys next year.

That is good news!     :88:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »
On a side note I started Old School 8 today. Hope that will fill in some of the time. I expect more from Wackys next year.

Best side note I've heard in a while!  Wish next year were this year, but it's nice to know something is in the works.