Author Topic: Idea for Wacky Packages Old School series 8 and 9  (Read 3547 times)

Offline dth1971

Idea for Wacky Packages Old School series 8 and 9
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:44:04 AM »
Here's an idea for possibly this 2019 year Wacky Packages Old School series 8 and possibly next 2020 year Wacky Packages Old School series 9 series if they get a green light from Topps: For each series besides the usual 20-30 Wacky Packages 1970's era entries, why not for OS8 a subset of 10 Wacky Packages 1980's products and for )S9 a subset of 10 Wacky Packages 1990's products? I know we suggested some years back in the forum possible Wacky Packages Old School 1980's entries, but I can think of my own Wacky Packages OS9 1990's product subset possibilities:

Antimaniacs Trading Cards (spoof of Topps Animaniacs trading cards)
Hidden Trashures cereal (spoof of Hidden Treasures cereal)
Chokin' Tonight sauce (spoof of Chicken Tonight sauce)
Drunken's Cups (spoof of Duncan Hines Duncan's Cups)
Itch Deluxe (spoof of McDonald's Arch Deluxe)
Sondrac the Hedgehog (spoof of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic book)
Dophins and Fiends crackers (spoof of Dolphins and Friends crackers)
Rat and Shrimpy T-shirt (spoof of a Ren and Stimpy T-shirt)
M.C. Bummer CD (spoof of M.C. Hammer's "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" CD)
Gnome Alone movie VHS (spoof of Home Alone movie VHS)

What do you think, slamjim?

Offline MoldRush

Re: Idea for Wacky Packages Old School series 8 and 9
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
The Topps M.O. for the past 4-5 years has been basically one release per year.  Don’t see that changing to accommodate fans’ ideas, sadly.  I think there’s a stronger future with the independent stuff Neil and Mark have been doing, albeit in smaller helpings as their work commitments and schedules allow.  Would love to see Old School keep going, business model issues aside.  There doesn’t seem to be a shortage of products to parody.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:40:10 PM »
One question.

I see that Topps did a Animamiacs trading card series. Did they ever do the same thing for Pinky and the Brain or (shudder) Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain?

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:08:12 AM »
One question.

I see that Topps did a Animamiacs trading card series. Did they ever do the same thing for Pinky and the Brain or (shudder) Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain?

No separate set, but the Animaniacs set included some Pinky and the Brain cards.  It's a very nice set!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:53:20 AM »
Old School is definitely happening this year. I'm changing it up a bit though for this one which might lead to two Old School sets a year. Will provide more details soon.

LOTS of other WP stuff on the horizon as well. All back to basics and will make everyone here happy.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 04:53:07 PM »
Thanks for the forecast Dave.  “Back to basics” sure sounds promising.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
Old School is definitely happening this year. I'm changing it up a bit though for this one which might lead to two Old School sets a year. Will provide more details soon.

LOTS of other WP stuff on the horizon as well. All back to basics and will make everyone here happy.

Awesome! Can't wait!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 08:14:50 PM »

As I just posted in another thread, Dave, your last sentence is music to my ears.  I trust your take on what we Wacky collectors want.  You can imagine I'm a bit skeptical about how Topps views what we want, but I trust your take.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »

Please, Dave, can you finally publish Rotting Zone in a future OLDS series? This way, all of the 1970s Wacky Magazines stickers that were intended to be published will finally be done at last!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:41:18 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:11:00 PM »
Dave,

If you look up the subforum Here's a suggestion for Wacky Packages Old School 7 on page 2 of General Wacky Packages Discussion and look at Reply #13, you'll see a large number of 1970s products that I've suggested for future OLDS series.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:40:36 PM by mikecho »

anything