Author Topic: I got mentioned on Greg Grant's Wacky Packages Web Page!  (Read 18422 times)

Offline mikecho

I got mentioned on Greg Grant's Wacky Packages Web Page!
« on: February 10, 2019, 11:01:56 AM »
A little while back, I contacted Greg Grant (by phone) and told him something was missing on his Wacky Packages Web Page website dealing with the Coffee Table Book section. He had said that 10 anomalies had been on the first Wacky Packages coffee table book and I pointed out an 11th-that Shots in the 5th Series section of the book was missing the words "Delicious Gun Drops". Then he mentioned my contribution in the section mentioning the anomalies and put it in, but never got my name.

Well, last week I finally got him on the phone again, gave him my name, and he put it in the section! How about that, huh?

Then he gave me a question of his own. He said that El Polluto in the 7th Series section of the book had the name misspelled on the top of the box, with two t's (i.e., El Pollutto). His question was: is that the way it is on the sticker or is it just another anomaly? I said that I'd find out and get back to him later.

Does anyone know if this is just another anomaly in the book or is it on the sticker, too?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:09:24 PM by mikecho »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: I got mentioned on Greg Grant's Wacky Packages Web Page!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
rather bizarre that he'd even ask that, as he has a picture of the sticker on his website.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »
rather bizarre that he'd even ask that, as he has a picture of the sticker on his website.

That's exactly what I thought.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:28 PM »
Maybe Greg was momentarily confused from being a bit Char Boy'd

Offline mikecho

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:32:19 AM »
I think that Greg knows about it and I also think that what he wanted to find out about it was: is this a mistake common to all of the copies of El Polluto, or was it found and later corrected? In short, is it a 12th anomaly in the book or not?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »
It’s unlikely that something like that would have ever been corrected.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
I talked to Greg on the phone yesterday and told him that the El Polluto mistake was, most likely, not a anomaly, but a typo that never got corrected. I also figured that Topps must not have known about it until it was practically too late and, or course, by then nothing could've be done about it. He thanked me for my help and that was it.

Well, at least I did something to help a fellow collector out.

I also told him on both calls that, on his Guestbook on the site, I found some additions and corrections on some of its pages that needed to be fixed and he said that he'd check them out and do so. I guess that I'll have to keep an eye out for those because he's definitely a busy man.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:53:35 PM »
If your'e buzy on Gregs websight (wear their's a lot to sift thru and Im shore he'll apreciate the help,) then whose going too keep and eye out hear and look out fore my misstakes and other's?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:59:31 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
If your'e buzy on Gregs websight (wear their's a lot to sift thru and Im shore he'll apreciate the help,) then whose going too keep and eye out hear and look out fore my misstakes and other's?

Shorely your jokeing?
Brian Mc

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
I am, of course. Don't worry, I won't let you guys and gals down.

(By the way, Rob and Brian, that was cute. I loved it. It is to laugh! Ho-ho, ho, ho!)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:54:11 AM by mikecho »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »
I thought Greg's site (or at least the forum) was on auto-pilot and has been for years now?

Tread cautiously, young grasshopper.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »
I thought Greg's site (or at least the forum) was on auto-pilot and has been for years now?
The site is there and is maintained to a small degree, from what I can tell. The forum is kaput, from my point of view. The login page displays, but then hangs. I'm assuming it is disabled.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »

Tread cautiously, young grasshopper.
I will and thanks for the advice. I just wanted to make sure, since it hadn't been done at the time, that Greg gave credit where credit was due. After that, the a's and c's that I gave him were just icing on the cake.

He said that he's going to look at the a's and c's on the Guestbook and, right now, I've got no choice but to take him at his word. If he sees them and fixes them, that's great! Whether he does it sooner or later is entirely up to him. You know, of course, that I'll be watching for them whenever I can.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »
The site is there and is maintained to a small degree, from what I can tell. The forum is kaput, from my point of view. The login page displays, but then hangs. I'm assuming it is disabled.

It's sad.  So much information gone from Greg's original forum - research, conversations, pics, stuff from Jay.  And the new forum is either defunct, or only certain people can get in.  I miss it, but at least here I feel welcome.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 07:23:35 PM »
It's sad.  So much information gone from Greg's original forum - research, conversations, pics, stuff from Jay.  And the new forum is either defunct, or only certain people can get in.  I miss it, but at least here I feel welcome.

I'm with you Pat, I miss the old forum of Greg's, But I definitely feel more welcome on here as well.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »
It's sad to hear that all this neat info from this old forum might be gone; isn't there any way to retrieve it at all?

And yesterday I found a website called the Wacky Packages Mall that also seemed to be completely empty and unaccessable as well; is Greg's website connected to this one as well?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:19:43 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 03:46:22 PM »
I believe that’s part of his site where stuff was listed for sale.  Pretty sure that’s what he called it.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 01:40:55 PM »
I just remembered something else that Greg and I talked about that time a while back.

We were discussing the Abrams book Wacky Packages and he said that he thought that it was a wasted opportunity. They should've put in the Die-Cuts and the Wacky Ads, for example.

I said that I couldn't agree with him more and that they should've done that and divided the OS run evenly in half - Series 1-8 in Wacky Packages and Series 9-16 in Wacky Packages New New New. Then the third book (which I think should've had the yellow wrapper with the red Wacky Packages logo as the cover sleeve and then would've been called Wacky Packages Brand New Series) could've had these things in it:

*the 1985 Series,
*the 1991 Series (with its 20 Crazy Coupons card backs and including both Tattoo Skins and Barf's Rot Beer),
*the Wacky Cans (either as photos of each can or the cans drawn as if they were stickers (for an example of the latter, see the " '80s Wacky Cans" section in lostwackys.com)),
*Frosted Ice Krunkles,
*the five new Wackys from the 1982 Album Series,
*the 16 new Wackys from the Irish Series (which includes the three pulled ones and the original versions of two of them that were all in the Irish Test Series).

What do you guys and gals think? Possible (or even probable) with a few adjustments made based on how the first two books actually turned out?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:28:00 PM by mikecho »

Offline ToadallyDude

vintage forums
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »

...although probably a lot of conversations and arguments that are better left in limbo, too.  What I'd like to see is a resurrection of the ORIGINAL forum from way back when (I think it was linked from John Mann's site).  The late 90's stuff was mostly positive & informative.  Unfortunately, the 'aughts' got a little haught (-y) under the collar and many of us lost interest along the way.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
I've been helping Greg out again on his website - the same thing I do here, but mostly it's punctuation and grammatical errors, with a little bit of updating here and there where it's needed.

He really appreciates the help, from what he tells me. In fact, he even put me on the list for a holiday prize he's offering. I hope I win it, because I'm dying to see what it is!

Some of it's been done so far, with only a little more left to go.

Online bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »
I've been helping Greg out again on his website - the same thing I do here, but mostly it's punctuation and grammatical errors, with a little bit of updating here and there where it's needed.

He really appreciates the help, from what he tells me. In fact, he even put me on the list for a holiday prize he's offering. I hope I win it, because I'm dying to see what it is!

Some of it's been done so far, with only a little more left to go.
I thought he exited the hobby but his site seems to be getting updated nicely.  I helped him by calling out OPC sticker he had in a series 2 set ebay auction.  It's a lot to keep up on all of this.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »
Ernie, you are a plethora of information when it comes to wackys.  I am so glad that you lend you expertise to all of us.  Many thanks to you.  you have helped many times over with what you know and share.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 03:08:47 PM »
Ernie, you are a plethora of information when it comes to wackys.  I am so glad that you lend you expertise to all of us.  Many thanks to you.  you have helped many times over with what you know and share.

Indeed. He has a great eye for finding rare Wackys as well.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 07:39:07 AM »
I talked to Greg on the phone yesterday and told him that the El Polluto mistake was, most likely, not a anomaly, but a typo that never got corrected. I also figured that Topps must not have known about it until it was practically too late and, or course, by then nothing could've be done about it. He thanked me for my help and that was it.

Well, at least I did something to help a fellow collector out.

I also told him on both calls that, on his Guestbook on the site, I found some additions and corrections on some of its pages that needed to be fixed and he said that he'd check them out and do so. I guess that I'll have to keep an eye out for those because he's definitely a busy man.

Not funny.   Not funny at all.   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 01:29:53 AM by Plastered Peanut »
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 07:46:40 AM »
Not funny.   Not funny at all.   Dear Mr or Mrs "mikecho", this whole thread is ridiculous.  I am shocked that the administrators of this forum let this ferment.
It's "Mr.", btw. As Bill Engvall would say, "I'm just a guy."

And this isn't intended to be funny; it's dead serious here. I'm just helping Greg out over there like I help Patrick out over here with the Master Spreadsheet, that's all.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:00:43 PM by mikecho »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2020, 01:01:22 AM »
 I misinterpreted something.   Sorry.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Online bandaches

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 09:30:47 AM »
Thank you, I try to help when I can.  I don't know squat about the new wackys though, I think my brain hit a limit.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Online bandaches

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 09:32:24 AM »
Indeed. He has a great eye for finding rare Wackys as well.
My brain seems to retain the weird copyright variations and such so I can flip thru a pile of wackys or scan ebay auctions and quickly find this stuff.  It was how I was able to spot the OPC in Greg's 2nd series set.  I really don't look at every scan of an auction so most of this stuff needs to be on the first image.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2020, 12:01:33 PM »
I misinterpreted something.   Sorry.
That's okay; you didn't know.

Offline helixbuilder

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 04:44:48 PM »
I haven't looked at Gregg's forum in more than ten years. He started a flame war over something silly and I migrated here with nearly every one else. It is a shame.

Online bandaches

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 12:17:22 PM »
I haven't looked at Gregg's forum in more than ten years. He started a flame war over something silly and I migrated here with nearly every one else. It is a shame.
I pretty much use Lost wackys site for most stuff, once in awhile I go to greg's to see an image or old ebay auction.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 03:14:13 PM »
I checked out Greg's site the other day and it's good to see he's keeping it updated. So much good info there.

Online bandaches

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 04:28:11 PM »
I haven't update my website in years but found out why people keep contacting me to join this forum as opposed to contacting the admin, people are still finding the forum thru my website as it appears they like my grading guide and price guide and wacky museum.  Who knew  8)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 11:55:32 AM »
I'm still helping Greg out; finding things everywhere.

He and Patrick here have one thing in common: I've found so much material for them that I don't know if I'm going too fast for them to keep up. This is, however, more true for Patrick than it is for Greg because I've been PMing him a lot of stuff, but I don't know what's been done so far on what I've sent him or how much of it there is to go before it's finally finished.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 11:26:43 AM »
You'll never believe what happened to me today.

Recently, Greg had a lottery contest on his website and I was one of the two winners! My prize was a hardcover book called Jay Lynch's Wacky Packages Sketches Anthology: 2005-2009. It's a first printing and one of only 50 copies made. And no, it's not available in stores.

Jay was a great Wacky artist and will be missed.

anything