Author Topic: Wacky-Base Updated to run on the iPhone and iPad!  (Read 7122 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Wacky-Base Updated to run on the iPhone and iPad!
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
I just finished updating Wacky-Base to run on both the iPhone and the iPad. It took about 50 hours of updating every screen to work because of font issues and extra stuff that I removed. It really looks beautiful on the iPad!

If you haven't used or looked at WB for awhile you owe it to yourself to check it out since your all Wacky collectors.

As of right now I am just done with the Mac version of Wacky-Base. I will try and get the Windows version up and running tomorrow. (I'm a Mac guy ;))
You will need to buy and download 'FILEMAKER GO' for either/both your iPhone or iPad. It's not real cheap but it's the only way for this to work and it works great! When I started the Wacky-Base project back in 2004 my goal was to get it portable. At the time people had PDA's or Laptops. Laptops are easy but not convenient. Filemaker had a program out for PDA's but it was miserable to use and made WB look horrible and clunky.

The iPad and iPhone are perfect for on the road trading sessions and such. I don't know if Filemaker will make an Android product but if they do WB will be compatible with that also.

This new version will also work on your Mac/PC and replace your existing WB program. I even put in some extra effort to make the reports easier to navigate. The preview pane is GONE! You can't exactly sync devices. You simply copy the program between your computer and your iPad/iPhone through iTunes. Any time you change anything on the computer or your portable device you just copy it back and forth to keep an updated copy on both machines.

Since this took quite a bit of energy to pull off I will be charging forum members $10 for the new version. It's the price of a movie ticket! All you have to do is go to www.wacky-base.com and make a $10 donation. I will then send you the link to the program. The program is not protected so you will be on the honor system and that is why I am pricing it so low.

The Filemaker Go program for the iPhone is $20 and for the iPad it's $40. You also need IOS 4 or higher to run. I said it's not cheap but it's really nice and convenient.
Let me know if you have any questions. I will give you instructions on how to move the file between devices. You can, basically, have WB on your computer, iPhone, & iPad all at the same time.

I would really like to see comments and questions posted here so I can help out everyone.

Offline HawaiianPunks

Re: Wacky-Base Updated to run on the iPhone and iPad!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »
When will the Droid version be available?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:31:05 AM »
When will the Droid version be available?

I have no idea. Once Filemaker Go is available for the droid then you are set. You will have to look for the Filemaker Go app for droid.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 11:02:43 AM »
I just updated WB with ANS7. I also made quite a few changes to the look and flow of WB to work better with the iPhone and iPad. I'm sure there will be more changes coming soon because Filemaker Go keeps getting better. I welcome all comments and suggestions.
1. You can now create PDF lists within your iPad or iPhone.
2. You can now import your own pictures with iPhone or Ipad and with the iPhone you can take pictures and import them directly into WB. This is really cool if you want to take pictures of your boxes and such. All you have to do is click on the picture box and a display will pop up asking what you want to do. Very cool!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:24:07 PM »
Here are some device screen shots:

Ipad:

Iphone:

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »
Brad, cool.  Still hoping to get an iPad for Christmas.  If I do, I'll look for the Wacky-Base.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
Brad, cool.  Still hoping to get an iPad for Christmas.  If I do, I'll look for the Wacky-Base.

You do need Filemaker Go for this to work. It's not cheap but it sure is cool! I can make other databases to use with FM Go. I just haven't figured out what the next project should be.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
Here are some reports on the iPad

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
This is so cool. When I started designing WB back in 2004 I always wanted it to work on a mobile device. There just wasn't an easy way to do this until now. Now you can have your whole collection in your POCKET! You have your want list everywhere. Too Cool! :s_cool:

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
You do need Filemaker Go for this to work. It's not cheap but it sure is cool! I can make other databases to use with FM Go. I just haven't figured out what the next project should be.
Good to know.  Thanks.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »

I plan on getting one too Martin.  I'm waiting for the newer model though with video chat.  Does anyone know when the release of that will be?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
I plan on getting one too Martin.  I'm waiting for the newer model though with video chat.  Does anyone know when the release of that will be?

It will probably be next March. Apple refreshes once a year. I can't live without it. The video thing doesn't excite me at all. I don't even use it on my iPhone 4.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
initial rumors all said 1st quarter of 2011 for the 2nd gen device that will now have a smaller size sibling to choose from.
although there are now some rumors mentioning 2nd quarter

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »
It will probably be next March. Apple refreshes once a year. I can't live without it. The video thing doesn't excite me at all. I don't even use it on my iPhone 4.

I have a long distance relationship so I would actually use the video chat a lot.  Are there any other improvements other than the video that you know of?  I heard that in order to use Skype with an iPhone or iPad the other person also needs one or the other or they are not compatible.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
initial rumors all said 1st quarter of 2011 for the 2nd gen device that will now have a smaller size sibling to choose from.
although there are now some rumors mentioning 2nd quarter

It would be nice if they shed a few ounces too!  It's a little on the heavy side.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »
I heard that in order to use Skype with an iPhone or iPad the other person also needs one or the other or they are not compatible.

Just got an iPad today and Skype works fine to call land lines as well as people using Skype on a PC.... just like on my desktop.

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »
Just wondering if anyone's tried wacky-base on their iPad yet.  Looks like great program but not enamored with having to download the Filemaker-Go app at $39.99 to run it. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 08:31:12 PM »
Just wondering if anyone's tried wacky-base on their iPad yet.  Looks like great program but not enamored with having to download the Filemaker-Go app at $39.99 to run it. 

It works but stinking Filemaker made a change to Go and now my button title images don't show up they are blacked out. I'm working on changing them. Their new update works a lot better. Wacky-base used to take about a min to boot up and now it comes up almost instantly.

anything