Author Topic: Proof Positive that GAI is a Joke  (Read 4973 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Proof Positive that GAI is a Joke
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I've always said...a company that certifies unopened packs has two purposes:

1. Accurately describe the pack
2. Certify the pack as legitimate

We've already seen countless factual examples of GAI failing on #2.

There's currently a bunch of GAI graded unopened packs on ebay. Looking at the serial numbers, it seems clear that they were either submitted all at once, or at least in groups.

We have a 15th series pack described as a 6th, and vice versa. The fact that the 15th is 85-fold and the 6th 21-fold proves that it's not just a mixup with the scans. GAI actually mixed the packs up in the slabbing process.

Ditto for mixing up a 9th and a 12th. While many would not be able to tell the difference, I'm close to certain that the ads on the backs of the packs are mutually exclusive with the series GAi lists. There is likely no 9th series pack with a 1975 wall poster ad, and no 12th series pack with a Jade Necklace ad. Again, GAI just mixed them up.

Clearly, wackys are beneath them. Do you think they'd mix up 1960 and 1961 unopened baseball packs?

GAI has failed at its entire raison d'etre. Their certification is useless to potential buyers on every level.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Proof Positive that GAI is a Joke
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »
I've always said...a company that certifies unopened packs has two purposes:

1. Accurately describe the pack
2. Certify the pack as legitimate

We've already seen countless factual examples of GAI failing on #2.

There's currently a bunch of GAI graded unopened packs on ebay. Looking at the serial numbers, it seems clear that they were either submitted all at once, or at least in groups.

We have a 15th series pack described as a 6th, and vice versa. The fact that the 15th is 85-fold and the 6th 21-fold proves that it's not just a mixup with the scans. GAI actually mixed the packs up in the slabbing process.

Ditto for mixing up a 9th and a 12th. While many would not be able to tell the difference, I'm close to certain that the ads on the backs of the packs are mutually exclusive with the series GAi lists. There is likely no 9th series pack with a 1975 wall poster ad, and no 12th series pack with a Jade Necklace ad. Again, GAI just mixed them up.

Clearly, wackys are beneath them. Do you think they'd mix up 1960 and 1961 unopened baseball packs?

GAI has failed at its entire raison d'etre. Their certification is useless to potential buyers on every level.
Don't these grading outfits rely on the submitter to classify what an item is?  That is why there are wacky packs, wacky packages and various miscombinations.  I bet if I submitted a Minute Lice Wonderbread, they would grade it as such whether it be PSA or GAI, no?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:39:48 AM »
Don't these grading outfits rely on the submitter to classify what an item is?  That is why there are wacky packs, wacky packages and various miscombinations.  I bet if I submitted a Minute Lice Wonderbread, they would grade it as such whether it be PSA or GAI, no?

If so, that makes them even more incompetent.  I think I'll submit a 2001 Topps Heritage card that looks like a Mickey Mantle rookie and tell them it's from 1952. I guess they'll print that on the flip!

Isn't it kind of a bizzarro world when the seller has no idea what he's selling and the certifier has no idea what he's certifying? As a consumer, am I supposed to read minds, have X-Ray vision, or both?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:44:39 AM »
If so, that makes them even more incompetent.  I think I'll submit a 2001 Topps Heritage card that looks like a Mickey Mantle rookie and tell them it's from 1952. I guess they'll print that on the flip!

Isn't it kind of a bizzarro world when the seller has no idea what he's selling and the certifier has no idea what he's certifying? As a consumer, am I supposed to read minds, have X-Ray vision, or both?

It seems like the grading services should have a network of experts in the hobby they can rely on when they aren't sure about an item's identity.  Have you ever seen pawn shop?  They know a lot about antiques and such but when they aren't sure they seem to have a friend in each end of the business that fills them in on the item. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:31:38 PM »
It seems like the grading services should have a network of experts in the hobby they can rely on when they aren't sure about an item's identity.  Have you ever seen pawn shop?  They know a lot about antiques and such but when they aren't sure they seem to have a friend in each end of the business that fills them in on the item. 

It does, doesn't it? Only they're too lazy and too indifferent to do so.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:37:35 PM »
OK, I have worked with PSA in the past. Twice with 2 year subs. They do a pretty good job. Sure a few could fall through the cracks but overall they are pretty spot on. People also don't realize or know that I have also had about 15 cards sent back to me because they feel they couldn't be graded due to the fact that they could be cards that have been tampered with such as cutting. I know Frick was pissed that his Hungry Jerk 10 had the slab crippling his card but I have sent in close to 200 cards without a problem. No one likes low grades but that is the cold hard facts when it comes to subjective grading.

I, personally, think we need a service like PSA. I can't say anything for GAI or any other company but this service is needed in the hobby whether anyone agrees with the grading. You can say they slip up once in a while but overall they do a pretty good job.

NOW! With that said, they do NOT take peoples word when it comes to a specific series. They know! GAI might not be the best judge of cards or packs but PSA does a pretty decent job. PSA will not take your word on what card #, series, or any reference. They will figure it out. I have had cards come back with different info on the slab then I presented so obviously they do KNOW! I am not an advocate nor do I receive any payment from PSA but we need a service like this. I do know that collectors in this hobby don't think they need a service like this because your eyes are better judge but realize when buying on ebay you need to know if the cards are really what you expect. There is much more crap on ebay then the small flaws people can find in PSA's judgment but people still like to find the prize raw card in the wild.

Again, I don't know anything about GAI but PSA is the real deal. I have also used them with their DNA service to verify a Tom Brady sig was authentic. They came back to me in 24 hours and said they feel it was a fake. This alone saved me $200+. That is why we need a service like this. Albeit not perfect but when you buy a PSA 6 or 7 you know you are getting a pretty nice card. That is really where I am going with this.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:39:42 PM by BumChex »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
I wasn't criticizing PSA. In fact, PSA is the place to go for certifying packs now, as Steve Hart, who runs Baseball Card Exchange, is in charge of certifying packs for PSA, and is a true expert as well as an ethical person. PSA have their failings when it comes to grading wackys, but they are certainly lightyears ahead of GAI in terms of credibility.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:36:12 PM »
Again, I don't know anything about GAI but PSA is the real deal. I have also used them with their DNA service to verify a Tom Brady sig was authentic. They came back to me in 24 hours and said they feel it was a fake. This alone saved me $200+. That is why we need a service like this. Albeit not perfect but when you buy a PSA 6 or 7 you know you are getting a pretty nice card. That is really where I am going with this.
Brad, when you say "their DNA service", you mean as in genetic material? To verify a signature?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:54:03 PM »
Brad, when you say "their DNA service", you mean as in genetic material? To verify a signature?

wow! apparently that's exactly what it is. I figured it was just an acronym they used to artificially inflate their credibility.
but on their website they say:
PSA/ DNA authentication virtually eliminates the problem of counterfeits and forgeries, because...
1. Item is signed in the presence of a PSA/DNA representative.
2. Permanent, invisible, synthetic DNA-laced ink, verifiable using a proprietary infrared laser, is used to identify the item.

with these hyperbolic statements of certainty and authenticity, I wonder why they waffled on the Brady signature and only "felt" it was fake? is their process no where near as foolproof as their sales spiel states? if they only "felt" it was fake, then this most likely high cost "service" is waste of money.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »
wow! apparently that's exactly what it is. I figured it was just an acronym they used to artificially inflate their credibility.
but on their website they say:
PSA/ DNA authentication virtually eliminates the problem of counterfeits and forgeries, because...
1. Item is signed in the presence of a PSA/DNA representative.
2. Permanent, invisible, synthetic DNA-laced ink, verifiable using a proprietary infrared laser, is used to identify the item.

with these hyperbolic statements of certainty and authenticity, I wonder why they waffled on the Brady signature and only "felt" it was fake? is their process no where near as foolproof as their sales spiel states? if they only "felt" it was fake, then this most likely high cost "service" is waste of money.

Before I spent $200 for a jersey I wanted to make sure it was real. I think at the time the service was only about $10 so it wasn't a biggie. It took a day and they came back and said it is highly likely a fake. They keep several examples of players signatures and know by their reference material. Some sigs are so blatantly obvious but some people can do a pretty decent job.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
Before I spent $200 for a jersey I wanted to make sure it was real. I think at the time the service was only about $10 so it wasn't a biggie. It took a day and they came back and said it is highly likely a fake. They keep several examples of players signatures and know by their reference material. Some sigs are so blatantly obvious but some people can do a pretty decent job.
I take it that the signature you were referring to wasn't part of the PSA/DNA process then, but another authentication service? you indicated that it was, but it sounds like it didn't actually have the DNA ink on the jersey.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »
I take it that the signature you were referring to wasn't part of the PSA/DNA process then, but another authentication service? you indicated that it was, but it sounds like it didn't actually have the DNA ink on the jersey.
No DNA ink involved. It might have been a cheaper service to verify an item through a picture. I just can't remember. It was around 4 years ago.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 01:40:34 PM »
No DNA ink involved. It might have been a cheaper service to verify an item through a picture. I just can't remember. It was around 4 years ago.

They should just have these players sign their names in blood.  Then you could have real DNA authentication!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!