Author Topic: Wacky Packages Glasses  (Read 6502 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Wacky Packages Glasses
« on: December 25, 2018, 06:29:57 AM »
If there is one item that I have always wanted, it has been the original Wacky Packages glasses. (From 1974, I believe.)
Does anyone know how exactly how you would have acquired these? Was it some sort of mail-in?

Plus, how much do these cost? I know they're pretty rare, as in I've never seen one even on eBay, but what would these go for?

This leads me to my next question: Any for sale?  ;D

Merry Christmas, by the way.

Mark
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:52:08 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Wacky Packages Glasses
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
Not much information, but a little anecdotal info....

http://wackypackages.org/miscellaneous/drinkingglasses/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 07:18:39 PM »
Not to detour from the specific subject, but as long as we’re talking about drinking glasses, does anyone here collect the Welch’s grape jelly glasses with Archie comics characters/scenes on them?  I always thought those were a pretty cool piece of childhood nostalgia for us 50-somethings.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 07:58:56 PM »
Not to detour from the specific subject, but as long as we’re talking about drinking glasses, does anyone here collect the Welch’s grape jelly glasses with Archie comics characters/scenes on them?  I always thought those were a pretty cool piece of childhood nostalgia for us 50-somethings.

I have seen the Archie ones at a couple of flea markets that are nearby me, LMK if you are looking to purchase any or all of them. I'm looking for the ones with a single Looney Tunes character on the glass.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 03:50:47 AM »

I have seen the Archie ones at a couple of flea markets that are nearby me, LMK if you are looking to purchase any or all of them. I'm looking for the ones with a single Looney Tunes character on the glass.

I have so many of the Looney Tunes ones. I collected them before Wacky Packs. I even have some that are rare, like Henery Hawk.
And Dave, I have seen that page before. I just don't know if there's anyone on here who might have more insight.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 06:53:16 AM »
I'm looking for the ones with a single Looney Tunes character on the glass.
I believe there's a store in the Merchant Square Mall that has a bunch of them.  My brother-in-law bought several there once when we were there for a vinyl record show, though he may have focused on McDonald's characters, but I'm pretty certain they had a good variety of types.

To the point of the thread, I own a set of the glasses [thru a fair amount of luck and some trading] and they aren't for sale at this point. I'm plenty old enough to remember the OS run, but don't recall the glasses back in the day or how they were obtained. Mail away is almost certainly correct, as that's how a considerable amount of that kind of stuff was gotten. or you bought things in a gas station, lol.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 07:06:26 AM »
Mail away is almost certainly correct, as that's how a considerable amount of that kind of stuff was gotten. or you bought things in a gas station, lol.
I have never seen ANYTHING but basic sticker packs in stores, up to the ANS era.  No t-shirts, beach towels, inflatables, drinking glasses, vending machine trinkets, etc.  NOTHING.  Not even poster packs, tattoos, Wonderbreads (that bread was mostly off-limits to us due to parental perception of zero nutritional value), or anything else one cares to mention.  The only thing I remember seeing and wanting was the wall poster, advertised on the wrappers, which of course never happened).  I guess that lack of exposure tempered my completist tendencies down the road quite a bit, thank goodness.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
I've always wanted a Wacky drinking glass and, like many, never saw one back in the day.  Come to think of it, I don't recall a single wacky items beyond the stickers themselves.

There is a company, Toon Tumblers (http://www.toontumblers.com/) that make quality drinking glasses.  I contacted them once and mentioned Wacky Packages and the possibility of making a line of Wacky glasses.  They seemed interested, as I recall, but nothing came of it.  Maybe if we all contact them and ask really nicely, they'll make a lineup of Wacky pint glasses.  A guy can dream...

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 07:54:45 AM »
I have so many of the Looney Tunes ones. I collected them before Wacky Packs. I even have some that are rare, like Henery Hawk.

I also collect the Looney Tubes glass and I have a bunch as well, but I don't have the Henry Hawk.  Do you know if there is a website that lists all of the glasses available>  I will have to go through my collection and see which ones I have.  It has been a while since I looked them over.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »
Do you know if there is a website that lists all of the glasses available
If you are referring to the 1973 Pepsi ones, this site seems to cover a lot of the ground.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »
If you are referring to the 1973 Pepsi ones, this site seems to cover a lot of the ground.

I do concur with the rarest glass being Slow Poke Rodriguez. I saw that one once at a flea market but it was too expensive for my blood. I still do not have that one. I may get my glasses out and jot down which ones I have for any of you who may be interested. It's neat to hear other people on here who collect(ed) them as well.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »

Thanks, that site is very helpful.  I had no idea there were so many different characters available.  The only one I have that would be rarish is the Elmer Fudd with black lettering.  But his eyes are kind of creepy since they are see through.  Especially if you are drinking Hawaiian Punks!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
For anyone interested, these are the Pepsi glasses I have (Some aren't Looney Tunes):

Henery Hawk
Mr. Peabody
Evinrude
Beaky Buzzard
Orville
Roadrunner
Tasmanian Devil
Tom
Jerry
Dudley Do Right
Big Baby Huey
Underdog
Elmer Fudd (Black Writing)
Bugs Bunny
Daffy Duck
Rocky
Bullwinkle
Simon Bar Sinister
Boris Badenov
Speedy Gonzales
Wile E. Coyote
Yosemite Sam
Foghorn Leghorn
Cool Cat
Go Go Gophers
Woody Woodpecker
Chilly Willy
Hot Stuff
Snidely Whiplash

That should be all of them...  :]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:49:49 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2023, 08:26:25 AM »
A Fang has shown up on eBay

eBay auction: #315001261119

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2023, 01:32:11 PM »
A Fang has shown up on eBay

eBay auction: #315001261119
As might be imagined, I am very interested in seeing how this one turns out...  :o

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2023, 01:37:44 PM »
As might be imagined, I am very interested in seeing how this one turns out...  :o

It should be interesting!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2023, 02:58:36 PM »

Dang, it is up to $305 in the first day.  Only 9 more days to go!!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 08:48:08 AM »
Mortgage or WP Glass ???:^)

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 09:13:32 AM »
    I'd say glass, I bet there are more than a few here that will be frantically refiguring finances for this month. I'm out at the plus $600. it is at now. Could go double or triple, I've spent my Wacky allowance for the year and then some. I just hope someone here gets it.

Matt

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 08:29:16 AM »
$905.00 and still rising as of this morning.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 08:31:44 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2023, 09:53:03 AM »
I am officially OUT, not that I had even bid, but it is SO high that I won't even be sniping.  Is anyone here still in at this point?

Offline quas

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2023, 11:32:43 AM »
I am officially OUT, not that I had even bid, but it is SO high that I won't even be sniping.  Is anyone here still in at this point?

Not I!
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2023, 02:12:21 PM »
It looks like there are two or three bidders who are determined to drive up the prices.  The 97 feedback bidder appears to have given up at $450, but the 314 and 1438 feedback bidders are still playing "I can bid higher than you can."  Mike's Weekly Treasures should send both of them Christmas cards.

They must be real fun to follow on social media.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 02:17:23 PM by drono »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2023, 03:22:33 PM »
Mindlessly clicking on the Increase Bid button until you get bored is certainly one way to go about things

Offline drono

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2023, 06:45:02 AM »
Two more have been listed by a different seller with $1,295 BINs

Kook Aid: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134838904433
Hipton: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134838910953

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2023, 11:37:14 AM »
Now that all the town criers have gotten the word out of this Fang glass, I guess all of the glasses are going to show up on the market - probably because $900+ is worth more than a drinking glass that no one will even drink out of.

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2023, 02:21:57 PM »
     That would be interesting to see, I just doubt there are many for that to happen.

Matt

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2023, 02:22:37 PM »
Vintage is cool but isn't there an easy way to make your own Wacky glasses or mugs?

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2023, 02:36:14 PM »
I am almost certain that there are online firms who would do that….if they and you dont mind violating copyright laws….

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2023, 02:51:07 PM »
These are from our own Kook. Forgotten he owned a couple of them...

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2023, 02:53:54 PM »
I guess all of the glasses are going to show up on the market
Not mine...at least not soon. Maybe someday. Well...if they don't go into the coffin with me.  :)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2023, 03:41:05 PM »
Vintage is cool but isn't there an easy way to make your own Wacky glasses or mugs?

I have some fantastic coffee mugs Plan_9 here used to make.  He has since moved on to other things.  Think I bought out the last of his stock; I will post them when I find them and they are available.  I remember on one he used my scan of the Cap'n Crud sticker that I pulled as a kid, which makes that mug very special to me.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2023, 06:15:00 PM »

Kook Aid: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134838904433
Hipton: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134838910953
He is smart!  Sell fresh off that shilled other auction!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2023, 06:24:59 PM »
So was the logic/reasoning for the copyright not being a real topps copyright ever discussed?  Lower case letters?  Is that common or did this knock off company who produced these just make a mistake?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2023, 12:21:25 AM »
He is smart!  Sell fresh off that shilled other auction!
I don't doubt that the other auction is shilled, but how can you tell?
Send me your borderless wackys!