Author Topic: Neil's Wacky Sketch Cards  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Alexeirex

Re: Neil's Wacky Sketch Cards
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2024, 02:33:09 AM »
Here are some of my Neil sketches, which haven't been posted on this thread yet -
A

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2024, 04:22:46 AM »
Here's my Jay Lynch ANS3 card:

I stand corrected about the logo, but  I'm still of the opinion these were not considered official sketchcards. Anyway, I suppose that can be debated in another thread.

PS - I just chatted with Mike J. and he agrees with my assessment: Postcards Series 1 should be considered the first official sketch cards.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:56:56 AM by koduck »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2024, 10:33:02 AM »
I stand corrected about the logo, but  I'm still of the opinion these were not considered official sketchcards. Anyway, I suppose that can be debated in another thread.

PS - I just chatted with Mike J. and he agrees with my assessment: Postcards Series 1 should be considered the first official sketch cards.

For the record, I wasn't disagreeing, and that was what I guessed!  I was just posting my example of Jay's special ANS3 cards.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:48:03 AM by RawGoo »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2024, 10:56:41 AM »
For the record, I wasn't disagreeing, and that was what I guessed!  I was just posting my example of Jay's special ANS3 cards.

Nope, I didnt think you were. Im just trying to paint an accurate picture of the history of these and the sketch cards. So,  thank you for posting a pic. It's been a while since I've seen one of them!

By the way, the cards Jay illustrated are off-the-charts amazing! Really miss his inspiration, his talent and his wit!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:05:10 AM by koduck »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2024, 11:22:02 AM »
If anyone here or at Topps kept images of all of these 1/1 sketches, please share them!!  LMK and I will start a new thread for them!!!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2024, 11:27:49 AM »
I'll certainly ask Mike. If anyone has a complete record of them, it would be him.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2024, 01:17:20 PM »
That would be fantastic to have the scans of all the cards for posterity.

I recalled they were the earliest Wacky sketches, but as they weren’t pack inserts and they were sold as individual art pieces, that puts them in an entirely different category.

Postcards Series 1 it is!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2024, 03:54:54 PM »
Neil, a quick question about which sketch artists worked on ANS 7.  I recall for ANS 7 there was a teaser Gatoraid sketch shown which you did.  Since the set was released the only sketches I’ve  seen are by Jay, Brent, Fred and the Zapatas.  Is that correct?  Did you ultimately not do multiple ANS sketches like the other artists.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2024, 05:05:45 PM »
I'll certainly ask Mike. If anyone has a complete record of them, it would be him.
Nope, not me, Neil. I don't do Wacky sketch cards, never did from day one after I got started in all this.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2024, 05:57:25 PM »
Nope, not me, Neil. I don't do Wacky sketch cards, never did from day one after I got started in all this.

Just to clarify, I was referring to Mike Jaspersen. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2024, 05:58:01 PM »
Neil, a quick question about which sketch artists worked on ANS 7.  I recall for ANS 7 there was a teaser Gatoraid sketch shown which you did.  Since the set was released the only sketches I’ve  seen are by Jay, Brent, Fred and the Zapatas.  Is that correct?  Did you ultimately not do multiple ANS sketches like the other artists.

I did  25 sketches for the set

Offline mikecho

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2024, 06:09:15 PM »
Just to clarify, I was referring to Mike Jaspersen. Sorry for the confusion.
Okay, thanks.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2024, 06:40:10 PM »
I did  25 sketches for the set

Thanks Neil, very cool!  Now I’ll have to try and hunt one down assuming that are not all secure in Marc’s collection!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2024, 07:48:51 PM »
Neil,

I have mailed you a self-addressed bubble pack so you may easily insert all of these for a good home........

Richard
#StayWacky

P.S. Neil Peart would be proud of your work!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2024, 02:08:47 PM »
Neil,

I have mailed you a self-addressed bubble pack so you may easily insert all of these for a good home........

Richard
#StayWacky

P.S. Neil Peart would be proud of your work!

How big is that bubble mailer?!

OK, time for another sketch card dump...

Offline quas

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2024, 02:40:17 PM »
Simply awesome!
Marc

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2024, 03:19:01 PM »
Neil, as always raising the bar for the rest of us.  Simply awesome.  And a page of your ANS 7s so fun to see!  And those ‘hidden’ 50s just inspired!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 03:24:08 PM by Joe G. »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2024, 07:24:13 PM »
OMG!!!!!!!!!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2024, 07:42:29 PM »
Muleburro!!!!
A

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2024, 05:21:26 AM »
What I'd really like to see someday is a coffee table book featuring some of the artists sketch cards. I think that would be a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 05:24:13 AM by koduck »

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2024, 05:26:18 AM »
What I'd really like to see someday is a coffee table book featuring some of the artists sketch cards. I think that would be a lot of fun!

I vote YES!!! I would love to get my hands on this(these) book(s)!!!  ;D

Offline quas

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2024, 05:34:23 AM »
I vote YES!!! I would love to get my hands on this(these) book(s)!!!  ;D

Yes!  And a real, physical book --- not a website!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 01:59:49 AM by koduck »
Marc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2024, 02:05:15 AM »
Yes!  And a real, physical book --- not a website!
Definitely. Keep in mind, they'd need to sell a lot of units to justify printing a book. That's the hard part IMO.

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2024, 06:13:16 AM »
Definitely. Keep in mind, they'd need to sell a lot of units to justify printing a book. That's the hard part IMO.

If put together well...instead of just a picture book, maybe make this 'book' I historic look at Wacky Packages. Each series can be a different chapter, with master lists/photos, artists bios, trivia tidbits on rare items, legal issues, etc. Photos could include actual products, wacky product, and maybe even early sketch evolutions of said wacky. Other interesting wacky items to discuss in the books would be spin off items like ad sheets, early cooperate letters, clothing, towels, die-casts, milk caps, puzzles, etc. 

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2024, 09:50:25 AM »
If put together well...instead of just a picture book, maybe make this 'book' I historic look at Wacky Packages. Each series can be a different chapter, with master lists/photos, artists bios, trivia tidbits on rare items, legal issues, etc. Photos could include actual products, wacky product, and maybe even early sketch evolutions of said wacky. Other interesting wacky items to discuss in the books would be spin off items like ad sheets, early cooperate letters, clothing, towels, die-casts, milk caps, puzzles, etc.

This woild be amazing and it’s surprising it’s never happened. In addition to Wackys some of my  other areas of interest/collecting are model kits, Captain Action, stop motion animation and Don Post masks.  Arguably most are more obscure and had less impact than Wackys.  Yet all of these have had comprehensive books detailing the history and people involved.  Why not Wackys?  We’ve had many great picture books but just scattered articles and book intros that go into the behind the scenes stories. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:32:55 PM by Joe G. »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2024, 08:25:51 PM »
I would purchase a book of these!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2024, 11:19:09 PM »
This woild be amazing and it’s surprising it’s never happened. In addition to Wackys some of my  other areas of interest/collecting are model kits, Captain Action, stop motion animation and Don Post masks.  Arguably most are more obscure and had less impact than Wackys.  Yet all of these have had comprehensive books detailing the history and people involved.  Why not Wackys?  We’ve had many great picture books but just scattered articles and book intros that go into the behind the scenes stories.

I've suggested this to topps  for many years, but it always comes down to economics. Until the numbers look good (thousands of unit sales), they will likely never print books.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2024, 01:06:30 PM »
I've suggested this to topps  for many years, but it always comes down to economics. Until the numbers look good (thousands of unit sales), they will likely never print books.

Neil,  do you think Topps would do something like sell high quality pic downloads or NFTs?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2024, 06:20:39 PM »
Don't know, but I think the general consensus is NFTs have already run their course.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2024, 11:42:41 AM »
Kickstarter I wold think would be the smart money approach?

Richard
#StayWacky

anything