Author Topic: WP Old School 7 SPOILERS  (Read 81013 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: WP Old School 7 SPOILERS
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
slamjim: Hope you next show the Wacky Packages Old School 7 entries paintings that spoof Shogun Warriors, Good Housekeeping, Chocks, Solarcane, and Space Food Sticks.

OK!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:16:03 PM by slamjim »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2018, 05:01:26 AM »
I was able to procure a $150 set via my grandparents as a Christmas gift.
I would like to trade all of my ludlows to simply complete the pencil set. Not sure anyone on here would like to do that though, unless the stars align.

We will see.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2018, 06:06:27 AM »
I was able to procure a $150 set via my grandparents as a Christmas gift.
I would like to trade all of my ludlows to simply complete the pencil set. Not sure anyone on here would like to do that though, unless the stars align.

We will see.

Good for you, and Merry Early Christmas!!  Check back when we have all received our sets, and then we'll all know what we have to trade.  Hopefully Topps will do a good job with "A" and "B" sets of the roughs, and someone will end up with exactly the 15 you need.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2018, 06:34:20 AM »

Got to love a good Wacky bottle!  Exceptional work!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2018, 07:12:40 AM »
Many of the OS7 products here I barely remember, let alone remember at all.  It seems that with each new old school series, the pickins are becoming slimmer than before in terms of familiarity.  This is not to impugn the artwork and/or gags; They remain top-notch.

With this in mind, I hope OS7 sells well enough that Topps gives the green light for another series.  This time, however, I hope they give Dave free rein to develop the vintage old school series (circa 1930) that he has mentioned before, one in which very iconic products and characters (such as Mr. Peanut - who is familiar to everybody) are given the Wacky treatment.  For whatever reason, Space Food Sticks did not take up residence in my kitchen cabinet.  (Or if it did, it was very short-lived.)  Sailor Jack and Bingo, however, were always a welcomed sight, and it would be extremely pleasant to revisit these "old friends" again in an upcoming series.  Here's hoping...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2018, 07:39:38 AM »
Many of the OS7 products here I barely remember, let alone remember at all.  It seems that with each new old school series, the pickins are becoming slimmer than before in terms of familiarity.  This is not to impugn the artwork and/or gags; They remain top-notch.

Agree with this sentiment.  Could be a regional thing, or maybe a broader spectrum of products that we don’t remember from back then, but for me there have been a few unfamiliar products throughout OLDS, more so in this series.  It’s almost like looking at the Irish Wackys - very well rendered but completely unfamiliar.  While I still find it all fascinating, I hate to think of all the great kiddie product choices that will fall by the wayside should the OLDS run end anytime soon.  Repeat parodies of awesome package designs parodied in OS also holds potential.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2018, 08:14:26 AM »
Speaking of products that we'd like to see parodied - I'd like to see Yummy Mummy. I believe every other Halloween cereal character has been done.

I was actually thinking of making a parody of Yummy Mummy like, say, Crummy Mummy. Just never got around to it.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »
Speaking of products that we'd like to see parodied - I'd like to see Yummy Mummy. I believe every other Halloween cereal character has been done.

I was actually thinking of making a parody of Yummy Mummy like, say, Crummy Mummy. Just never got around to it.

If Topps green lights Wacky Packages Old School 1980's edition.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2018, 09:04:11 AM »
Dummy Mummy
Runny Mummy
Scummy Mummy
Bunny Mummy
Funny Mummy
Wacky Mummy

#StayWacky

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »
Remember, you are also looking back on WP with rose colored glasses. I guarantee a ton of the OS series you have or had no idea what the product was. Especially as a kid. You only know them now because of the OS series. I thought the majority of these were really common things and if not they were still highlights of many 70s nostalgia sites. I try to check through those when doing these to get good ideas. A lot of these products are still in use today. The only one I never saw was Joan of Arc Beans (which is still around). I used it because Jay did a nice rough for it and it was a staple for him in the 70s. Chocks was the other one I was vaguely familiar with but it was a pretty big vitamin brand. What here have you never seen?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:30:30 AM by slamjim »

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
Got to love a good Wacky bottle!  Exceptional work!

Yes, Dave, love the bottle. Great work!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
Agree with this sentiment.  Could be a regional thing, or maybe a broader spectrum of products that we don’t remember from back then, but for me there have been a few unfamiliar products throughout OLDS, more so in this series.  It’s almost like looking at the Irish Wackys - very well rendered but completely unfamiliar.  While I still find it all fascinating, I hate to think of all the great kiddie product choices that will fall by the wayside should the OLDS run end anytime soon.  Repeat parodies of awesome package designs parodied in OS also holds potential.
IIRC, that's what happened to the OS run. The products were becoming too obscure in the later series and, from what I remember, that was one of the reasons for the decline in the 1970s. This was, of course, mostly due to the C&D problem.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:57:14 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »

Ah, McSnoremick is official at last! And I just got a real good laugh out of Drunkula!

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
I really like Corpse with the old pull tab on top. Well done. I think my fav so far has to be McSnoremick. Great detail on the can, and a simple, funny Wacky. I think this one perfectly captures the Old School theme. I much prefer the simple gags and art to those that are too busy.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »
Dummy Mummy
Runny Mummy
Scummy Mummy
Bunny Mummy
Funny Mummy
Wacky Mummy

#StayWacky
Dummy Mummy was done in one of the Halloween Packs 'O Fun (that doesn't mean it couldn't be done again, though) and a non-Topps parody series might've done "Scummy Yummy Mummy". I'll check up on that one.

UPDATE: I found it! It's in lostwackys.com under the section "Non-Wackys" and in the subsection "1997 Freakie Magnets".
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:51:55 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »

You're right, Mark. The OLDS run has already done the four versions from the 1970s, the ANS run has done three different versions of the three that are still around, each in three separate series, and one of the Postcards series did all three of them in it as well. In fact, Franken Berry has been done several times-more than any of the others. I guess it must be the most popular of the three.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:19:59 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
Remember, you are also looking back on WP with rose colored glasses. I guarantee a ton of the OS series you have or had no idea what the product was. Especially as a kid. You only know them now because of the OS series. I thought the majority of these were really common things and if not they were still highlights of many 70s nostalgia sites. I try to check through those when doing these to get good ideas. A lot of these products are still in use today. The only one I never saw was Joan of Arc Beans (which is still around). I used it because Jay did a nice rough for it and it was a staple for him in the 70s. Chocks was the other one I was vaguely familiar with but it was a pretty big vitamin brand. What here have you never seen?
Dave you make a good point, and yes, it did cross my mind that the OS had its share of out-of-leftfield products, but it still feels like a very small fraction compare to the Old School now.  I guess I’m just applying a slightly warped or biased standard now.  The last batch of spoiler images rings much more familiar.  All in all looks like another outstanding set.  The Hot Tamales parody speaks more to my internal wishlist, but I understand, you have to have some balance between grocery, sundry items, kiddie stuff, etc.

To mikecho’s comment about Old School possibly following the trend of later OS Series in terms of having to go more and more obscure with the product types, I’m not sure if I agree with that, because OS was pushed in that direction due to parent companies issuing C&D requests, which wiped out entire swaths of products from consideration, but I think that’s all off the table now.  Don’t know for sure though; seems Topps has steadfastly kept silent on the whole C&D issue since ANS started in 2004.  My guess is that Topps lawyers successfully got this matter ruled on in their favor in the courts before proceeding with anything.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »
OS6 spoofed Aurora's Frankenstien kit and OS7 spoofed Aurora's Dracula kit. Will OS8 next year or so spoof the Aurora Wolfman kit and/or Aurora Mummy kit?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »
Dave you make a good point, and yes, it did cross my mind that the OS had its share of out-of-leftfield products, but it still feels like a very small fraction compare to the Old School now.  I guess I’m just applying a slightly warped or biased standard now.  The last batch of spoiler images rings much more familiar.  All in all looks like another outstanding set.  The Hot Tamales parody speaks more to my internal wishlist, but I understand, you have to have some balance between grocery, sundry items, kiddie stuff, etc.

To mikecho’s comment about Old School possibly following the trend of later OS Series in terms of having to go more and more obscure with the product types, I’m not sure if I agree with that, because OS was pushed in that direction due to parent companies issuing C&D requests, which wiped out entire swaths of products from consideration, but I think that’s all off the table now.  Don’t know for sure though; seems Topps has steadfastly kept silent on the whole C&D issue since ANS started in 2004.  My guess is that Topps lawyers successfully got this matter ruled on in their favor in the courts before proceeding with anything.
You're right; I completely forgot about the C&D problem. I should've mentioned that when I made my statement. In fact, I just fixed that right now.

UPDATE: I just checked up on something that I remembered from lostwackys.com (which means, from what I've seen and heard about that website so far, it should be taken with more than a shakerful of salt).

Anyway, in the Lost Wackys section on the website under the listing for ANS1, 3 Racketeers was intended to be #55 in that series, but was dropped before final production due to a complaint from M&M/Mars. As we all know, it was then replaced by Snots.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:58:05 AM by mikecho »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »
The C&D is no problem anymore. We only really had a few minor issues since ANS started up.

I think I still have a lot of good products left. A few of the categories are thinner than others. I guess I can always do more toys/ candy/ cereal rather than pull a more obscure medicine product for instance. I just always like to mix up the categories.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
OS6 spoofed Aurora's Frankenstien kit and OS7 spoofed Aurora's Dracula kit. Will OS8 next year or so spoof the Aurora Wolfman kit and/or Aurora Mummy kit?

If there is another set I definitely plan on continuing the Aurora kits. I did this with the monster cereals.

I also have some more OLDS roughs Jay did that we hadn't used and will do some more of Jay's 70s roughs.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2018, 10:32:43 AM »
Dave - will you be posting the real product images at some point?  Chocks looks absolutely awesome, but it’s a bit frustrating to not have that instantaneous recognition. 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »
Dave - will you be posting the real product images at some point?  Chocks looks absolutely awesome, but it’s a bit frustrating to not have that instantaneous recognition.

They are all posted on page 3 of the thread

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
Sorry, guess I wasn’t keeping up with this thread as well as I thought!

Also, kudos for continuing with the Aurora model kits.  Not only do I love complementary Wackys all belonging to a family of products, like Hostess for example, but this plays beautifully to the spirit of monster-themed Wackys.  And no need to embellish with a monster character - they’re already there in the product!   I like to think of them as the perfect marriage between Wackys and You’ll Die Laughing / Creature Feature.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »
The famous line from the movie Drunkula:

"I always drink...(hic)vine...(hic)".

And the Count doing a commercial:

"I'll drink no vine before its time...it's T-I-I-ME!" (swallows a glass of wine in one gulp)
"M-m-m-m-boy, that's good booze! (hic)" (voice being a cross between Bela Lugosi and Jackie Gleason (and if you can imagine that, you can imagine anything))
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 02:32:54 PM by mikecho »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2018, 11:32:36 AM »
Dummy Mummy
Runny Mummy
Scummy Mummy
Bunny Mummy
Funny Mummy
Wacky Mummy

#StayWacky
I did Yummy Tummy

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »
The C&D is no problem anymore. We only really had a few minor issues since ANS started up.

I think I still have a lot of good products left. A few of the categories are thinner than others. I guess I can always do more toys/ candy/ cereal rather than pull a more obscure medicine product for instance. I just always like to mix up the categories.

There were some great toys back then!  And we might be more likely to remember toys and candy because most of us were kids when we were infected with Wacky-itis   :P

You've done some pretty iconic toy parodies in Old School, and I've liked them all.  I'd love to see some more - have Sizzlers or Verti-Bird been done yet?  My apologies if I've forgotten.

Offline helixbuilder

« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
Wow Slim jim this new batch of old school cards is great! Favorites to early to say but Dead berry, Chunks, Corpse, Shot, Sir ape, and Old Gods look like winners. I hope I can scrape up the150 set!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
I just saw that this is the second time that Coors Beer has been done. The first time was in the 1991 series as Coorpse Light.

Also, I never seem to get a "New Posts" face whenever I put in a new post. Can this be fixed, please?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 02:46:20 PM by mikecho »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »

Dave, you do a great job on these OLDS projects. I think they're great. I really feel like you're the "keeper of the flame" in many ways (especially for us Old Heads!)

Do I recognize EVERY single product? No. Did I recognize every product in the Original Series when I was kid in the 70's? No. That didn't make me like those Wackys any less then and certainly doesn't now either.

I guess what I'm saying is: these Wackys are great and I can't wait to get my hands on them!

Keep up the good work Dave  :great:
Brian Mc

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2018, 04:18:41 PM »
Dave, you do a great job on these OLDS projects. I think they're great. I really feel like you're the "keeper of the flame" in many ways (especially for us Old Heads!)

Do I recognize EVERY single product? No. Did I recognize every product in the Original Series when I was kid in the 70's? No. That didn't make me like those Wackys any less then and certainly doesn't now either.

That's how I feel also.  The set looks better than ever.  Hoping for an OLDS8.   :great: :great:

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »

I have never seen or remember the following in my house when I was a kid:

Baron Von Redberry
Chocks
Dippity-Do
Fizzies
Goober Grape
Grins & Smiles
Joan of Arc Beans
Old Gold
Shogun
Sir Grapefellow
Space Food Sticks
Superman Underoos
Wanted Stickers

That is irrelevant, however.  The main gist of my post was to push for the old school 1930s set with iconic characters, albeit vintage.  I think it's a clever and fabulous idea that you had, Dave, and it would be nice to see such a set surface between now and next autumn.  Or maybe I'm in the minority, here.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2018, 05:51:44 PM »
I remember puking up a bowl of Grins smiles giggles and laughs when i was about 7. My Vomit had happy faces in it.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
I have never seen or remember the following in my house when I was a kid:

Superman Underoos

You have no knowledge of, or experiences with, Superman Underoos?!?!? You poor, deprived child. It's a miracle that you survived into adulthood!!  :P
Brian Mc