Author Topic: Rubber Band Bracelets  (Read 11713 times)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Rubber Band Bracelets
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
I was in Target looking for an ANS7 flyer to, uh, "just admire" - but unfortunately they were all already taken down and the new August flyers were already up. Ah well.
But then I noticed one of the products coming out this fall - Garbage Pail Kids Rubber Band Bracelets. Say what?
I'm guessing this whole rubber band bracelet thing is the kid version of all those Live Strong/Lance Armstrong bands that started up a few years ago and then morphed into every color and every cause under the sun.
Anyway.
If there are GPK bracelets - are there going to be Wacky bracelets? And if there are, is anyone going to collect them?

here's some examples being sold on Amazon. WOW! love the scented letters pic! looks like a great Boggle for 4-letter easy cuss words!

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=rubber+band+bracelets&authorid=2860562&cdn=Amazon.com&lnk=storesugg&show=li&ei=EhxoTO_uMpWYwAXh152pBQ&sa=X&ved=0CIgBEIYIKAA

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Rubber Band Bracelets
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:51:10 AM »
Yeah, rubber bands have gone haywire!

So, check these out on Amazon. I wonder what words kid are going to spell with this set?!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
Yeah, rubber bands have gone haywire!

So, check these out on Amazon. I wonder what words kid are going to spell with this set?!!
Wow! No doubt that arrangement was on purpose. Three of the dirtiest English words jump right out of that arrangement. It's almost a work of art. Or a Rorschach test.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:04:38 PM »
Crazy Bandz as kids call them are the 2010 version of Wacky Packages. Kids go bonkers when they see them. My kids have an arm full of them and trade with anyone they see with an arm full. I would say that it would be amazing if Topps cross markets ANS 7 with Crazy Bandz while the craze is still there. At $5 a bag, someones getting rich :]

Choke-Wagon

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
One can only guess what these scented letters might smell like.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »

If there are GPK bracelets - are there going to be Wacky bracelets? And if there are, is anyone going to collect them?

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=rubber+band+bracelets&authorid=2860562&cdn=Amazon.com&lnk=storesugg&show=li&ei=EhxoTO_uMpWYwAXh152pBQ&sa=X&ved=0CIgBEIYIKAA

My son and I were having a similar discussion several weeks ago. We decided these bands are pretty abstract due to the nature of the medium and we think it would be difficult to create many uniquely identifiable titles. I wonder how the GPK ones will look?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »

My son and I were having a similar discussion several weeks ago. We decided these bands are pretty abstract due to the nature of the medium and we think it would be difficult to create many uniquely identifiable titles. I wonder how the GPK ones will look?
I should've snapped a phone pic of the flyer. it seemed like the shapes were almost meaningless. I don't see anything online about them yet.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
I should've snapped a phone pic of the flyer. it seemed like the shapes were almost meaningless. I don't see anything online about them yet.

I saw the same flyer when I was looking for an ANS7 flyer.  I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.  I'm glad that GPK is capitalizing on the fad for the sake of the GPK fans of the world.  As much as I enjoy Wacky merchandise, and I'd likely buy a "set" of wacky rubber bands, I simply don't quite get the appeal of this fad (which, I guess, is not surprising in the least.  If adults liked this stuff, it probably wouldn't have caught on among the younger set).

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
I have never heard of these bands until this last Saturday when my daughter got some from a friend. I had to take her to Walmart yesterday so she could buy some more. I don't get the craze?

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »
They've been big around the schools for awhile now (at least a few months).  At our band boosters meeting for my son's high school band last week, someone brought them up.  They had some bands left over from a fundraiser last spring.

I don't get it either, but I don't think forty-something year old men are the target audience for them. ;)
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »
Some kids put on so many that it cuts off the circulation. How twisted is that

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »
Crazy Bandz as kids call them are the 2010 version of Wacky Packages. Kids go bonkers when they see them. My kids have an arm full of them and trade with anyone they see with an arm full. I would say that it would be amazing if Topps cross markets ANS 7 with Crazy Bandz while the craze is still there. At $5 a bag, someones getting rich :]

Choke-Wagon
Our area must have been at the front of the craze.  My kids started getting them about a year ago.  There weren't many around.  When they got hotter, they had all kinds of shapes and colrs.  Sad to say, they are already tired of them.  They both have hundred and hundred of them, and they have not worn them in a few months.  At least they are cheap!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »
$5 for a bag of rubbers seems steep. I'll let my kids stick to wackys at a bit affordable price of $2

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
$5 for a bag of rubbers seems steep. I'll let my kids stick to wackys at a bit affordable price of $2

They call them "Silly Bands" here.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Glocky Packages

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »

I never heard of them until now. I don't see anything to them...

Rubber band bracelets in special shapes create a bit of cont:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpJttn6zvq8

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 11:39:36 AM »
They call them "Silly Bands" here.
My daughter was into them for about a week.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »
I’ve laughed at these ridiculous Silly Bands for a year or two as they’ve become increasingly popular in all the stores (and I’ve also been puzzled that I haven’t seen kids wearing them), but suddenly they have taken my son’s school by storm. For the last month I’ve been running around town buying every damn brand of wrist band on the market, and there are many. And yes, Dad grumbles to himself about spending 5 bucks for two tiny bags of colored rubber bands when that hard-earned money could have bought a handful of stickers.

So my house is frickin’ littered with Silly Bands. Silly Bands everywhere, on the kitchen counter, on the pool table, everywhere. My 7 year old seems to have arranged subsets (by theme or by color? I’m not quite sure) in various locations, scattered on tabletops and across the floor. To the untrained eye, the many little piles might appear to be random, but I know better. LFLS

For the last week or so my son has been carefully and intensely explaining to me the whole idea of trading. He has a strong dose of my Italian genes, and he waves his hands a lot when he gets excited. It has been wonderfully hilarious as he reveals to me this concept of, When you have two of one kind, and your friend has two of one kind that you don’t have, you can give him one of your extras and he can give you one of his!! His eyes get wide when he talks about it, and it’s as if he is discovering some magical new game to play.

Yesterday at school Sterling made his first trade ever, and he came bounding into the house with a huge smile (and at least 20 of those damn things on his wrist) to tell me of his grand negotiations. He made his trade with his good friend Abraham, and he exchanged his extra blue unicorn for a green cowboy boot he didn’t have and wanted a lot. We looked at his new green boot and he talked about his dramatic score all evening. Before bed I saw him checking his inventory for more doubles to trade, and I could hear him muttering what sounded like plans and plots regarding potential acquisitions at recess tomorrow.     

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »
If they made Silly Bandz in the shapes of Wacky Packages, we'd all be just as excited as your son.

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »
Yesterday at school Sterling made his first trade ever, and he came bounding into the house with a huge smile (and at least 20 of those damn things on his wrist) to tell me of his grand negotiations. He made his trade with his good friend Abraham, and he exchanged his extra blue unicorn for a green cowboy boot he didn’t have and wanted a lot. We looked at his new green boot and he talked about his dramatic score all evening. Before bed I saw him checking his inventory for more doubles to trade, and I could hear him muttering what sounded like plans and plots regarding potential acquisitions at recess tomorrow.     

:03:

Is somebody cutting onions in here? Did a stray rain cloud just pass by?

I love stories like this -- despite that he's now well on his way to becoming just as obsessive and messed up as all of us here. I applaud and envy your parenting skills; my wife is pretty relieved that I haven't been able to have as much of this kind of influence on our 12-year-old daughter, although I've tried my best . . .
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »
If they made Silly Bandz in the shapes of Wacky Packages, we'd all be just as excited as your son.

The shapes of empty boxes and bottles and maybe a toothpaste tube? I doubt it, especially if they were as boring as the GPK silly bands are. Oh, we'd buy them, but we wouldn't be excited about it.

I'm not a GPK collector, but I still had to resist the temptation. At least the packaging and concept were kind of neat.
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 11:18:43 AM »
The shapes of empty boxes and bottles and maybe a toothpaste tube? I doubt it, especially if they were as boring as the GPK silly bands are. Oh, we'd buy them, but we wouldn't be excited about it.

I'm not a GPK collector, but I still had to resist the temptation. At least the packaging and concept were kind of neat.

They'd just have to pick the right ones to use: Footsie Roll, Bustedfinger, Gyppy Pop, Scare Deal, Dizzie, Cherry Bombs, Creep... the ones with unique silhouettes!

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 06:34:02 PM »
I spotted the Garbage Pail Kids silly bandz at Target last weekend. I do have a nice collection of the original GPK's (Sets, Packs, Boxes), but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase the bracelets. It just seems like a line that I should not cross.........until WP Bandz hit the scene, I guess!
 :character0029:
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 02:43:06 AM »
I love stories like this -- despite that he's now well on his way to becoming just as obsessive and messed up as all of us here. I applaud and envy your parenting skills; my wife is pretty relieved that I haven't been able to have as much of this kind of influence on our 12-year-old daughter, although I've tried my best . . .
lol
Kudos for trying!

I hope my son doesn’t get carried away and is still collecting Silly Bands when he’s 45!

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 07:37:40 AM »
lol
Kudos for trying!

I hope my son doesn’t get carried away and is still collecting Silly Bands when he’s 45!

You mean when you're in your 60s and he's telling you about how he dropped a whole bunch of money and was hanging out with other collectors at BandzCon 2040?
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
As I watch him sort though his piles, these two shapes sure stand out above the rest and have caught my attention!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 05:15:20 PM »
As I watch him sort though his piles, these two shapes sure stand out above the rest and have caught my attention!

I saw a news item the other day that some schools are starting to ban the "silly bandz" because of "naughty"
shapes like those pictured below and even naughtier shapes.   :^)  Can't imagine a silly band being so graphic it needs to be banned. As the school system gets increasingly PC, I am thankful our kids are in high school and college. The High School my son attends just changed their mascot this year. It was a brave (as in native american) and they just changed it to be an arrow head instead. Good grief.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:21:30 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
I saw a news item the other day that some schools are starting to ban the "silly bandz" because of "naughty" shapes like those pictured below and even naughtier shapes.

I was telling the ladies at work a story of my silly bandz woes and one gal told me they had been banned in her daughter’s school but didn’t mention why. Always somone to taint something, even as innocent as a rubber band, hun?

I was left remembering spit wad fights when the teacher turned their back and wrote on the chalkboard and imagined a room full of kids loaded with wrists of ammo. And, like trading cards, I’d think fights would break out. Tonight my son had a mini meltdown because he has a black pumpkin and his best friend (ie worse enemy) has an orange one and he needs an orange one really bad and wants to paint one orange but that doesn't work.

A can of worms has been opened.

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »
I saw a news item the other day that some schools are starting to ban the "silly bandz" because of "naughty"
shapes like those pictured below and even naughtier shapes.   :^)  Can't imagine a silly band being so graphic it needs to be banned. As the school system gets increasingly PC, I am thankful our kids are in high school and college. The High School my son attends just changed their mascot this year. It was a brave (as in native american) and they just changed it to be an arrow head instead. Good grief.

When I saw this, I looked up naughty silly bands to find out what was naughtier -- pretty obvious, really. But would somebody please tell me what the heck the upper-right shape in this picture is supposed to be??!? I'm just not getting it.
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 07:46:56 AM »
When I saw this, I looked up naughty silly bands to find out what was naughtier -- pretty obvious, really. But would somebody please tell me what the heck the upper-right shape in this picture is supposed to be??!? I'm just not getting it.
Looks like the "shocker" to me.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shocker

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 09:14:48 AM »
Looks like the "shocker" to me.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shocker
Too funny Brian!!

I just read that and got some education, damn.
Anna Kornakova really likes that move?

My son has examined the shape in question, and he thinks its a tooth.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 09:33:46 AM »
Anna Kornakova really likes that move?

I don't think those examples are real quotes. Did you read the one from Edger Allen Poe a few sentences below?  :D

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »
A Bong???
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2010, 02:05:43 PM »
A Bong???
Nope, it really is "the shocker".

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »
Nope, it really is "the shocker".

I see all those photos attached to the urbandictionary entry -- yep, that's what it is. Thanks -- for further eroding what little is left of my innocence . . .
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 03:25:27 AM »
I see all those photos attached to the urbandictionary entry -- yep, that's what it is. Thanks -- for further eroding what little is left of my innocence . . .
I wasn't on board with Brian's theory for a while, but each time he repeated it I gave it a bit more thought and looked at that link again, and low and behold I get it now, and he is right on the money. I'm not pleased to have gained this insight.

Thanks Brian.  ^-^