Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576477 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #280 on: July 15, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Let's not forget Hustler. He's still stands accused by Haveawackyday Ron.
I have written the seller to see if he will verify that he has been feeding ron all of this misinformation.  I haven't gotten any responses. 

The "attitude" comment that ron put forth is making me think that ron may be "ad libbing" here  in a self serving manner which would be consistant with much of the other nonsense he has posted throughout this ordeal.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #281 on: July 16, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

At the risk of being mocked for a bad post - that's awesome!

wackyone

« Reply #283 on: July 16, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
 :o
I think that's the one i was dealing on  :'(
oh,oh,,here we go again  :P

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #284 on: July 16, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »
I agree Sweet!!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #285 on: July 16, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #286 on: July 16, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »

Is this something you've had for a long time or just scored it?  Very cool!!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #287 on: July 16, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
Wow, Dave, incredible! Where did you dig that up? You just got it?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #288 on: July 17, 2010, 05:34:14 AM »
Sorry I didn't explain, I was called to baby duty right after I posted the pics.

Yes, I just got it! I had contacted a bunch of people looking for some of the regular 1-16 packs I need. One person had 4 10th series packs that I needed, but didn't want to part with them as they were not extras. Those were all I had inquired about.

Completely unsolicited, he added, "The only extra pack I have is the horizontal ads pack." It turns out he had obtained several in the 1980's by pure chance while visiting a store. This was the last extra one he had.

As for price, I paid less for it than I did for my 5-cent wrapper, and the pack is in very nice shape and legit. The only slight negative is that it had a lot of excess wax on the front (the white residue near the AD) most of which I have already removed.

This is the one pack I thought I might never have a chance at, and it falls into my lap at a bargain price. Somebody up there likes me!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #289 on: July 17, 2010, 05:59:58 AM »
This is the one pack I thought I might never have a chance at, and it falls into my lap at a bargain price. Somebody up there likes me!
That's great!! Congrats!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #290 on: July 17, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »
Sorry I didn't explain, I was called to baby duty right after I posted the pics.

Yes, I just got it! I had contacted a bunch of people looking for some of the regular 1-16 packs I need. One person had 4 10th series packs that I needed, but didn't want to part with them as they were not extras. Those were all I had inquired about.

Completely unsolicited, he added, "The only extra pack I have is the horizontal ads pack." It turns out he had obtained several in the 1980's by pure chance while visiting a store. This was the last extra one he had.

As for price, I paid less for it than I did for my 5-cent wrapper, and the pack is in very nice shape and legit. The only slight negative is that it had a lot of excess wax on the front (the white residue near the AD) most of which I have already removed.

Hard work and digging pays off.  I am glad you made this score because you deserve it more than anyone as it relates to unopened packs!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #291 on: July 17, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »

Awesome pack. Cool story - one we'd all love to be able to tell. Looks like the top sticker is Chicken Fat?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »
Awesome pack. Cool story - one we'd all love to be able to tell. Looks like the top sticker is Chicken Fat?

Yes, it looks like Chicken Fat, I guess I better go pore over the uncut sheet to see if the Knight's move leads to G&E!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #293 on: July 17, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »
Yes, it looks like Chicken Fat, I guess I better go pore over the uncut sheet to see if the Knight's move leads to G&E!

Did the Knight's move apply to the Ads?

You wouldn't kill that pack even if so, would you?  :-X

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #294 on: July 17, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »

So how close are you now to completing your pack run?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #295 on: July 17, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »
Did the Knight's move apply to the Ads?

You wouldn't kill that pack even if so, would you?  :-X

No way, the pack is worth more than a Good and Empty for sure.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #296 on: July 17, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
So how close are you now to completing your pack run?

Thanks for asking, I love to talk about it! It's not the easiest thing to quantify with certainty, because there is no way to prove to certainty which pack variations exist for series with wrapper variations (blue and green wrappers). For series
1-16, I am certain that there are at least 61 packs that exist, and I suspect probably 62. There are a few packs that I
suspect don't exist but I can't say I'm sure, and there are some I'm nearly certain don't exist.

Anyway, my working assumption is that there are 62 distinct pack variations from series 1-16. If that is the case, my
needs are now as follows:

10-cent Wacky Ads pack
8 different packs from series 9 through 11
Original OPC series 1-3 (2 of which no one has ever produced in the "collector era")

So I'm getting pretty close!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #297 on: July 17, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
By the way, that doesn't count funpacks because I've given up trying to determine what exists in that realm.

Taz

« Reply #298 on: July 17, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »
By the way, that doesn't count funpacks because I've given up trying to determine what exists in that realm.

Was it you that posted a photo back in the other forum that showed all the packs framed?  I'd like to see it again if possible because that was pretty sweet.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #299 on: July 17, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
No, that was probably Brian Lambert. I'm not big on displaying things, although it is cool when others do. I can't stand the idea of exposing rarities to light day in and day out.  It would be fun to make such a display using wrappers only though. In fact, as many fake packs as I've been sold I probably could have made a nice 1-16 display from the fakes.

Taz

« Reply #300 on: July 17, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »
No, that was probably Brian Lambert. I'm not big on displaying things, although it is cool when others do. I can't stand the idea of exposing rarities to light day in and day out.  It would be fun to make such a display using wrappers only though. In fact, as many fake packs as I've been sold I probably could have made a nice 1-16 display from the fakes.

In your opinion if something is encased and the only light shining on that case is from a light source other than direct natural sunlight do you think the cards still get discolored?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #301 on: July 17, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
Thanks for asking, I love to talk about it! It's not the easiest thing to quantify with certainty, because there is no way to prove to certainty which pack variations exist for series with wrapper variations (blue and green wrappers). For series
1-16, I am certain that there are at least 61 packs that exist, and I suspect probably 62. There are a few packs that I
suspect don't exist but I can't say I'm sure, and there are some I'm nearly certain don't exist.

Anyway, my working assumption is that there are 62 distinct pack variations from series 1-16. If that is the case, my
needs are now as follows:

10-cent Wacky Ads pack
8 different packs from series 9 through 11
Original OPC series 1-3 (2 of which no one has ever produced in the "collector era")

So I'm getting pretty close!

Dave, what 9-11 packs do you need? I have a bunch of unopened packs sitting around that I have never looked at the codes and what-not. It's a long shot I have something you would consider rare but I would check for you.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #302 on: July 17, 2010, 07:29:38 PM »
What the criteria for an unopened pack in your collection in terms of what is a real pack? Does it have to have been produced and sold in some way (I guess that would include Shedd's, Fun Packs, etc) or does it include test packs and the like?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2010, 07:29:50 PM »
In your opinion if something is encased and the only light shining on that case is from a light source other than direct natural sunlight do you think the cards still get discolored?

I'm really not an expert on the subject, there are probably safe ways to do it using UV-resistant glass, etc. It would just make me too nervous, so I don't go that route.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #304 on: July 17, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »
What the criteria for an unopened pack in your collection in terms of what is a real pack? Does it have to have been produced and sold in some way (I guess that would include Shedd's, Fun Packs, etc) or does it include test packs and the like?

PM to be sent, thanks so much for checking, any progress is like gold at this point.

Taz

« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »
I'm really not an expert on the subject, there are probably safe ways to do it using UV-resistant glass, etc. It would just make me too nervous, so I don't go that route.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »

I err on the side of inclusiveness. I have the Shedd's pack, the patch cello pack that was recently sold, the Irish and 1979 test packs. I do try to get every funpack that is distinct based on wrapper/checklist combination, but there's no way to really know which ones exist. One I do know exists and that I don't have is the 9th series 21-fold wrapper with the 1st UK checklist.

As for the 1-16 stuff, I consider all distinct series/wrapper combinations including ad variations.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »
It's a long shot I have something you would consider rare but I would check for you.

By the way, most of the 1-16 packs I need aren't really super rare, though they are usually the rarer fold variation. They're just ones that have eluded me for some reason.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »
By the way, most of the 1-16 packs I need aren't really super rare, though they are usually the rarer fold variation. They're just ones that have eluded me for some reason.

This might be a good time to educate everyone on fold variations as in all honesty I'm really not too sure what a 21 fold and 85 fold is!   :-[

Some newbies and old timers here will learn something interesting.

EDIT - I'm an idiot. It's part of the codes. I'm digging up my stuff now to see if anything is there.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 07:53:59 PM by slamjim »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »
This might be a good time to educate everyone on fold variations as in all honesty I'm really not too sure what a 21 fold and 85 fold is!   :-[

Some newbies and old timers here will learn something interesting.

EDIT - I'm an idiot. It's part of the codes. I'm digging up my stuff now to see if anything is there.
I think it would be a good time to refer to them by in a manner that is visible, ie the location of the splash is in one location for 21 folds and another for the 85 folds.  Often the code can't be seen on a sealed pack so it can be very frustrating to expect someone to look for 85 folds when the code can't be seen.

Maybe high splash and low splash?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2010, 08:16:29 PM »
Hey, curious now after looking at packs and wrappers for a bit. We know of collectors that sent in and received wall posters. Did anyone ever send in and receive the ID bracelet or "genuine" Jade necklace? I'd actually like to see those.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »
Hey, curious now after looking at packs and wrappers for a bit. We know of collectors that sent in and received wall posters. Did anyone ever send in and receive the ID bracelet or "genuine" Jade necklace? I'd actually like to see those.
Great question, would they be easily identifiable as being those from these wrappers?  I assume they were Topps toys, correct?  They should at least say TCG or something similar on them, no?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »
Great question, would they be easily identifiable as being those from these wrappers?  I assume they were Topps toys, correct?  They should at least say TCG or something similar on them, no?

Tough call. Topps could simply have picked up a big batch of cheap carnival like prizes or gumball machine filler and used them.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #313 on: July 18, 2010, 07:10:34 AM »
I think it would be a good time to refer to them by in a manner that is visible, ie the location of the splash is in one location for 21 folds and another for the 85 folds.  Often the code can't be seen on a sealed pack so it can be very frustrating to expect someone to look for 85 folds when the code can't be seen.

Maybe high splash and low splash?

The most obvious difference is from the back of the pack, but it's annoying to try to describe it with words. I usually
just send people a link to Greg's page which shows pictures of the differences.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »
The most obvious difference is from the back of the pack, but it's annoying to try to describe it with words. I usually
just send people a link to Greg's page which shows pictures of the differences.
I think relying on people to go to webpages to figure out if they have your missing 21 or 85 folds is only going to hold you up.  You could say "end folds" vs middle folds" and that is very visual.  Remember, unless someone is really into packs, they are not going to remember if the front splash location and folding type that associates with each.  I know from my personal experience when you have asked me to look for certain folds, what added time was me remembering to either ask you or to go look up how to discern each.