Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576481 times)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #1365 on: September 10, 2018, 02:24:25 AM »
Nice going!  I don't follow PSA closely, when did they start doing decimals?  Doesn't that erode the whole grading number process ie a previously graded PSA8 really would have qualified for a PSA8.5 and now it is considers a laggard to PSA8.5?  Will they soon start implementing 1/4 point grades?

I sure am glad I bought that lot of raw die-cuts a year or two ago!  That also yielded the Skimpy #15 that got an 8.  As for PSA, I don't know if the decimals are a new thing, but I'm pretty sure they only do it for 8's and 9's.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1366 on: September 10, 2018, 06:07:38 AM »
they will do the have grades at any number.  I have gotten 6.5's before.  The half grade was brought about for the card that looks better than the base grade but not good enough to be the next grade.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1367 on: September 10, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Pat, nice edition to your 67 Set. You soon will be in the top 5!  I just got these two back today from PSA.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1368 on: September 10, 2018, 03:28:39 PM »
Pat, nice edition to your 67 Set. You soon will be in the top 5!  I just got these two back today from PSA.

Awesome!  It's tough to find Ads without creases or other flaws that are automatic downgrades. 

Offline Beanball

« Reply #1369 on: September 13, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
You have some beautiful ads.

Looking foward to start grading some stuff hopefully soon.
If there are any tips before I send them in would be helpful.
I'm a newbie in the grading game.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1370 on: September 13, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »
before you spend your money on grading get really good at noticing flaws.  When sending in a card, be totally objective.  Do not hope they will let something "slide", because they won't.  I grade all my cards and write down what I think the grades will be when I get them back.  I then compare it to the actual grades and see what I missed.  I have moved more to the conservative side, as I am getting higher grades then what I wrote down.  ( some would say that is good, but it just costs me on not sending cards that could grade) Therefore I go back over them and re look at them to send in.  Also send in bulk so your cost per card does go down.  Another thing if you are sending base wackys make sure the value is there.  Or in other words make sure the juice is worth the squeeze.  It really does you no good to send in a 1979 reprint and get a 9 and only be able to sell it fore 4 bucks.  Make sure unless you are independantly wealthy you are choosy on what is sent.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1371 on: September 14, 2018, 03:48:47 AM »
You have some beautiful ads.

Looking foward to start grading some stuff hopefully soon.
If there are any tips before I send them in would be helpful.
I'm a newbie in the grading game.

I agree with what Joe advised.  As for some specific flaws to really look for, be aware that PSA automatically downgrades for roller marks, so otherwise great stickers are likely to get disappointing grades.  You also have to check for miscuts - they won't even grade those.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #1372 on: September 15, 2018, 07:41:44 AM »
I acquired these two over the years already graded.  The Good and Empty is a treasure in and of itself.

There is smudge on the bottom right corner - who cares - in that being said, try to find one - in my quest my completion-ism, it is better then no card at all.

I agree with Rawgoo - Be mindful of what you send and the money involved - I was lucky enough to recently acquire a Cracked Animals Die-Cut - THAT you send to PSA for protection it is legit and to protect from little sticky grandchildren hands (HAHAH) and to have an idea of it's real value.

Good Luck and #StayWacky

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1373 on: September 15, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »
I acquired these two over the years already graded.  The Good and Empty is a treasure in and of itself.

There is smudge on the bottom right corner - who cares - in that being said, try to find one - in my quest my completion-ism, it is better then no card at all.

I agree with Rawgoo - Be mindful of what you send and the money involved - I was lucky enough to recently acquire a Cracked Animals Die-Cut - THAT you send to PSA for protection it is legit and to protect from little sticky grandchildren hands (HAHAH) and to have an idea of it's real value.

Good Luck and #StayWacky

The way I look at Ads and die-cuts, they are very prone to accidental damage, and are safer in PSA holders, making them decent candidates for grading even if you know they'll get lesser grades.  I knew my Cracked Animals would grade a 6 if I was lucky, but am still happy to have it graded as a 5, and now I can handle it without worry.  I just got back a Chock-Full-Of-Nuts die-cut #5, knowing it would grade as a 5 or 6, but seeing as how it is the tough variation, it seemed worth it, even though I already had a graded PSA 5.  So, now I have an extra PSA 5.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1374 on: September 15, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »
For some reason my ads are the one thing I never submitted to PSA. I think I just didn’t know how they are supposed to be classified so I just put it off. Joe, can you spell out exactly how you are supposed to submit these?

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #1375 on: September 16, 2018, 07:07:57 AM »
PM - I purchased the Good and Empty that way - I have not sent my other Ads in

Regarding submissions - Join PSA and absolutely use their on-line submission form instead of the paper version

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1376 on: September 16, 2018, 07:38:16 AM »
For some reason my ads are the one thing I never submitted to PSA. I think I just didn’t know how they are supposed to be classified so I just put it off. Joe, can you spell out exactly how you are supposed to submit these?
I always submitted them by themselves , as they had to go together with like ones. I sent a lot of 15's (15 free) and this last bunch of three was the reward for completed registry sets yearly. I did do one batch of 50 in the beginning.  I think that was what you were looking for, as I know you have a better "eye" for this than I do.  They charge the same for them as reg cards. Just have to have them together.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1377 on: September 16, 2018, 07:07:29 PM »
I always submitted them by themselves , as they had to go together with like ones. I sent a lot of 15's (15 free) and this last bunch of three was the reward for completed registry sets yearly. I did do one batch of 50 in the beginning.  I think that was what you were looking for, as I know you have a better "eye" for this than I do.  They charge the same for them as reg cards. Just have to have them together.

What type of card are they considered? Tall boy?

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1378 on: September 16, 2018, 09:37:51 PM »
What type of card are they considered? Tall boy?
that is what I considered them.  When I called to ask that is the description that i used.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1379 on: September 17, 2018, 03:59:14 AM »
that is what I considered them.  When I called to ask that is the description that i used.

I've been told that PSA doesn't charge any more for Wacky Ads than for regular cards.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1380 on: September 17, 2018, 06:17:22 AM »
That is true, no extra cost to do them. Can even use specials when available

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1381 on: September 17, 2018, 08:42:59 AM »
Sorry to be dense, but when you're filling out the submission form, there is no need to specify that they are tall boy, different sized, whatever....you just describe the cards in the same way as always?

In short, there is no difference in filling out the sub form for wacky ads than for normal sized cards....true?

Also, what did you send them in? Are there card savers that big?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1382 on: September 17, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »
I guess card saver III seems to be large enough.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1383 on: September 17, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »
I guess card saver III seems to be large enough.
I use card saver 4 on all of my wacky ads  gives them more room and I don't have to force them in.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1384 on: September 17, 2018, 10:17:50 PM »
Sorry to be dense, but when you're filling out the submission form, there is no need to specify that they are tall boy, different sized, whatever....you just describe the cards in the same way as always?

In short, there is no difference in filling out the sub form for wacky ads than for normal sized cards....true?

Also, what did you send them in? Are there card savers that big?
nothing different except you can not submit reg sized cards on the same order as the Wacky AD size cards

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1385 on: September 18, 2018, 06:31:08 AM »
Thanks for the info Joe. Depending on how many really nice ones I have I might use my renewal subs for these.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1386 on: September 18, 2018, 08:17:33 AM »
Thanks for the info Joe. Depending on how many really nice ones I have I might use my renewal subs for these.
That's what I used my last two renewals for.  Thing about wacky ads is they are so dam hard to get good grades.  A "6" really is a good grade on those.  Finding an "8" is like having a 9-10 in regular cards. They are very picky on the stress lines around the punch out.  I would send in any that don't have them and realize that a six And above are the grades you should shoot for.

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #1387 on: September 20, 2018, 12:27:34 PM »
I just got these back from PSA this morning ! Good and Empty is 1/4 and Hurts and Metrekill are the highest at 1/1

eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #1388 on: September 20, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »
Here are the last 2/5 ads submitted... happy they came back at 7's !

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1389 on: September 20, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »
I just got these back from PSA this morning ! Good and Empty is 1/4 and Hurts and Metrekill are the highest at 1/1

Fantastic!!

I wonder why they don't make distinctions between long and short perfs......

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #1390 on: September 20, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
Fantastic!!

I wonder why they don't make distinctions between long and short perfs......

Me too Pat, I was hoping that they would have started making those distinctions at this stage in the game ! I did like the quick turn around only 2 weeks but, a bit pricey !

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1391 on: September 20, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
Me too Pat, I was hoping that they would have started making those distinctions at this stage in the game ! I did like the quick turn around only 2 weeks but, a bit pricey !

It's probably too late now.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1392 on: September 20, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
Those ads are fantastic! I’m going through my set tomorrow, many are very nice but centering does vary. I hope i have a bunch of nice ones. I haven’t looked at them for years.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #1393 on: September 21, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »
Kirk - As promised - BTW your Wacky Ads are gorgeous

I finally have one of these!

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #1394 on: September 21, 2018, 10:48:30 PM »
Those ads are fantastic! I’m going through my set tomorrow, many are very nice but centering does vary. I hope i have a bunch of nice ones. I haven’t looked at them for years.

I wish you all the best with yours Dave may the PSA gods treat you well !

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #1395 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »
Kirk - As promised - BTW your Wacky Ads are gorgeous

I finally have one of these!

I'm happy to see it came back as authentic for you Richard !

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1396 on: September 22, 2018, 05:09:59 AM »
Those Wacky Ads and that Cracked Animals are great! I never see Good and Empty's on here. Very nice.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1397 on: September 22, 2018, 07:03:30 AM »
Those Wacky Ads and that Cracked Animals are great! I never see Good and Empty's on here. Very nice.

Here's my Good & Empty, which I had thought I'd posted before:

This Hungry Jerk isn't a new acquisition  either, but I finally got PSA to correct it to say Series 3, instead of the previously mislabeled Series 5 tag.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1398 on: October 27, 2018, 07:05:32 AM »
Scored a very nice Quacker Die Cut....

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1399 on: October 27, 2018, 07:20:41 AM »
Remarkable.  This shows no signs of aging, belying its 50+ years.  I only wished I looked as good.