Author Topic: This Week in Your Collection  (Read 576567 times)

Offline Soremel

Re: This Week in Your Collection
« Reply #1295 on: February 17, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
I've always been intrigued by the Wacky Package cloth that occasionally shows up on eBay. I never intended on buying any... I mean, I can't sew, so what's the use! (and how would I be able to create a fashionable pair of safari shorts if I don't have any sewing skills?)

One late night, while browsing the 'bay, I found a BIN auction for a 44" x 55" (with an 18" x 29" square cut out of it) for reasonable money. Maybe it was the lack of sleep, or my latent seamstress tendencies, but I caved and purchased it! I never realized how large some of the images are! I always assumed that they'd all be the actual size of a peeled sticker.

Now I can't decide if I want the shorts, or a fashionable table cloth for the kitchen... or maybe an over-sized man purse for the Philly Show... the possibilities are endless...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:49:43 PM by RawGoo »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1296 on: February 17, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »
Cool find on the material, George. Not certain I've ever seen that style before...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1297 on: February 17, 2018, 02:37:22 PM »
I love surprises. Especially when they are Wacky Package-related!

I recently purchased a lot of 51 stickers that, at first glance, looked like they were in pretty questionable shape. The first thing that caught my eye, were the 14 stickers that had been re-adhered to random backings with Scotch tape! The picture of the lot was taken at a distance, so it was hard to see much of the condition of the other stickers. But, even though the picture was distant (and blurry), I decided to take a chance and purchase them. The copyright lines on the 3rd series titles looked smaller than normal, but it was hard to tell if it was just because of the poor photography. The BIN cost was $25., so I figured, if they're all dogs, at least I'll have some cool correspondence envelope sealing material on hand!

Well, my gut feeling about the copyright sizes turned out to be a good one. I received the package of stickers this morning, and all of the 3rd series stickers were OPC's, and in really nice shape! AND, the "Argh" is an elusive OPC tan back!

The rest of the stickers were in much better shape than I expected, too. The white back of the Duzn't sticker is absolutely spotless!

Those 8ths look like someone opened packs, they are all **.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:49:31 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1298 on: February 17, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »
Picked up another cool wrapper. Hard to believe this pup is 61 years young!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:49:13 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Soremel

« Reply #1299 on: February 17, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »
Those 8ths look like someone opened packs, they are all **.

My exact thoughts, too!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #1300 on: February 17, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »
Picked up another cool wrapper. Hard to believe this pup is 61 years young!

(Image removed from quote.)

Whooaaa! That is FRESH!! Nice find!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1301 on: February 18, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
I've always been intrigued by the Wacky Package cloth that occasionally shows up on eBay. I never intended on buying any... I mean, I can't sew, so what's the use! (and how would I be able to create a fashionable pair of safari shorts if I don't have any sewing skills?)

One late night, while browsing the 'bay, I found a BIN auction for a 44" x 55" (with an 18" x 29" square cut out of it) for reasonable money. Maybe it was the lack of sleep, or my latent seamstress tendencies, but I caved and purchased it! I never realized how large some of the images are! I always assumed that they'd all be the actual size of a peeled sticker.

Now I can't decide if I want the shorts, or a fashionable table cloth for the kitchen... or maybe an over-sized man purse for the Philly Show... the possibilities are endless...

Use it as a table liner at shows
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:48:54 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Soremel

« Reply #1302 on: March 23, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »
I just received one of the most beautiful sets I've ever purchased in all of my years of collecting Wacky Packages! This 1975, UK 2nd Series set looks as if it were cherry-picked from a full box and packed away the day they were opened! The other thing that has my jaw dropping, is the absence of roller marks on ANY of the cards. I'm assuming that both the stickers, and the checklists, all came from the same source, as they all have double asterisks in the copyright line.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:48:37 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1303 on: March 23, 2018, 12:42:46 PM »
Wow, that's a rare find. Was it from eBay?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #1304 on: March 23, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »
Wow, that's a rare find. Was it from eBay?

It was a private exchange that took some time to work out. (but was well worth the wait!) The condition is astounding, but the no roller marks thing has me floored!

Offline chipereno

« Reply #1305 on: March 23, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »
Would it be worth grading the entire set?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #1306 on: March 23, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »
Would it be worth grading the entire set?

That did cross my mind!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1307 on: March 24, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »
I just received one of the most beautiful sets I've ever purchased in all of my years of collecting Wacky Packages! This 1975, UK 2nd Series set looks as if it were cherry-picked from a full box and ]

For some of these, like Lifeservers or Greasline for example, how can you tell that the are UK?  Are there no US versions with **?  I know most of them have only single * for US, bit ate all ** UK?  If so, then I guess I have some.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1308 on: March 24, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »
They're not distinguishable from domestic as singles. But these clearly come from a single source and likely a U.K. source, though only George can verify that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:45:17 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1309 on: March 24, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
And all domestic wackys are equally common in * and ** as every double sheet had both.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1310 on: March 24, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »
And all domestic wackys are equally common in * and ** as every double sheet had both.

That is what I thought foe the US versions.  I know some are easy to tell like Horrid and Sail'em, etc.  So I guess unless it can be proven they are part of a UK set, you really can't tell with a lot of them then.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1311 on: April 14, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
This is another from the sets of beautiful glossy 5ths I got a couple Philly Shows ago. The first time I submitted it to PSA, it received a grade of 6. When I got it back and examined it I saw the faintest of roller marks, so faint I didn’t notice it when I sent it in. I knew it would get a 9 eventually, which it just did. I don’t fault PSA for being inconsistent, I actually admire the original grader for his diligence, but I wanted the 9 on this tough title. :)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:34:38 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #1312 on: April 14, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
I added these to my collection last week

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1313 on: April 14, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »
Nice centering on the Cracked. I don’t think a Floral exists with good centering, even the 9s are marginal at best. There is one 10, I’d like to see that.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1314 on: April 14, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Awesome stuff in the PSA department. Looking at that Graft, I'm surprised it didn't get at least an 8 beforehand. For some reason, Graft has always been a card that I want in nice grade. The shade of yellow is attractive to me, I suppose. And, as Dave said, nice centering on that Cracked. I believe you showed me those at the show, correct?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1315 on: April 14, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
I think the party line at PSA is that any trace of roller marks and you get no better than a 6. But if they are faint enough, they can reasonably be missed completely.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1316 on: April 14, 2018, 10:52:52 AM »
Nice centering on the Cracked. I don’t think a Floral exists with good centering, even the 9s are marginal at best. There is one 10, I’d like to see that.
Another case of the image being slightly off centered on the sheet? Meaning this is the perfect centering and to get a visual border balance would require a horrible mis-cut of the sheet itself?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1317 on: April 14, 2018, 11:02:35 AM »
Another case of the image being slightly off centered on the sheet? Meaning this is the perfect centering and to get a visual border balance would require a horrible mis-cut of the sheet itself?

Could be. I just doubt any of the highest graded cards are really well-centered, because the PSA 9 I got seems like a gift, it could have easily been an 8.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1318 on: April 21, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
Not exactly this week, but close: I finally was able to complete a little project that I'd been working on since the 50th anniversary set came out and I completed the Ajerx medallions. You all may recall that I commissioned Chenduz to create a nice sketch to place in the center of the 9 card page with the 4 medallions at the corners. Well, kinda like mikecho, I began to think the 4 other open spots needed to be filled...and I finally [at the Philly show] obtained the last thing needed to do so. I thought it might be neat to get 4 Ajerx stickers, with each of the possible back variations. The red lud was my last need and a nice fellow named Tom at the show sold his to me. So, here is the now really completed page:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1319 on: April 21, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »
Not exactly this week, but close: I finally was able to complete a little project that I'd been working on since the 50th anniversary set came out and I completed the Ajerx medallions. You all may recall that I commissioned Chenduz to create a nice sketch to place in the center of the 9 card page with the 4 medallions at the corners. Well, kinda like mikecho, I began to think the 4 other open spots needed to be filled...and I finally [at the Philly show] obtained the last thing needed to do so. I thought it might be neat to get 4 Ajerx stickers, with each of the possible back variations. The red lud was my last need and a nice fellow named Tom at the show sold his to me. So, here is the now really completed page:

Very cool!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #1320 on: April 21, 2018, 08:31:53 PM »

Excellent work Tom! Looks great, and the Chenduz sketch brings it all together IMO.
Brian Mc

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #1321 on: April 22, 2018, 03:13:08 AM »
Looks great Tom. And, now, I finally know what the "secret" project was.   :D

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1322 on: May 24, 2018, 04:02:40 AM »
I've been quite busy working on upgrading my die-cuts.  Many thanks to Joe L. for a fun trade!

My previous keepers (pretty much 6s and 7s) are available.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:12:49 AM by RawGoo »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #1323 on: May 24, 2018, 05:04:40 AM »
I've been quite busy working on upgrading my die-cuts.  Many thanks to Joe L. for a fun trade!

My previous keepers (pretty much 6s and 7s) are available.
And many Thanks to you on helping me with my series 1-16 upgrades!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1324 on: May 24, 2018, 05:09:54 AM »
I also got these upgrades as part of a deal for a bunch of my raw die-cuts:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1325 on: May 24, 2018, 07:17:56 AM »
Great! PSA 9s from this set are a real accomplishment!

The only die cut I have added recently is this one. At this rate I will be in Shady Hill way before my die cut set is complete.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:25:50 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1326 on: May 24, 2018, 07:19:42 AM »
This is my only other recent wacky acquisition....

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1327 on: May 24, 2018, 12:02:33 PM »
Pat, you need to submit your Cracked Animals. Speaking of which, I just noticed there is now a CA 9!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1328 on: May 24, 2018, 01:22:44 PM »
Pat, you need to submit your Cracked Animals. Speaking of which, I just noticed there is now a CA 9!

Is there a scan of the 9? I'd love to see it.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1329 on: May 24, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »
Is there a scan of the 9? I'd love to see it.

No, it is owned by the Schloss, it’s in his registry but no scan.